Override System Changed, Can't Power Up After Self-Shutdown?

32 replies to this topic

#1 Ptom

Dezgra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:46 PM

Not gonna lie, I hate the new system. The old one felt more natural and the override button was a good "panic" button to press in sticky situations, but now you have to predict when you are going to overheat and press it beforehand.

Now I'm fine with this much, I can adapt and try to come to terms with the new system but....

Once you do decide to "power down" after overheating, you can't manually power up again?

I'd give a video demonstration of this happening, but my computer can't handle video recording software.

It's more than frustrating to deal with when you are running silly fun hot builds.

#2 Megalosauroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:51 PM

Ive noticed this, you were supposed to be able to press 'P' to power up after you overheat and take internal damage but it doesn't work for me so now my overheat strategy is to swear at my monitor until my mech comes back online.

#3 Budor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:54 PM

I also cant power up from a forced shutdown. Some sort of indicator that the 5 second shutdown override has been activated would be nice to.

But i do like the new system better in theory ^_^

Edited by Budor, 24 January 2013 - 07:55 PM.

#4 Merky Merc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 871 posts
  • LocationRidin down the street in my 6-4

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:32 PM

The handfull of times the game has let me reboot from shutdown I wind up with no hud and a yellowish screen until I can go power back down and then up manually.

#5 IceCase88

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 689 posts
  • LocationDenzien of K-Town

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:34 PM

View PostMerky Merc, on 24 January 2013 - 08:32 PM, said:

The handfull of times the game has let me reboot from shutdown I wind up with no hud and a yellowish screen until I can go power back down and then up manually.

Me too! I hate that bug. Additionally, it seems more mechs start gliding after overheating and overriding the shutdown.

#6 Rhakthul

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:50 PM

I haven't been able to power up after overheating post patch, either. It's gotten me killed several times.

The worst was the one time I started powering up again (I had cooled off enough) but I was still trying to override it. I ended up shutting myself back down. ^_^

#7 Chavette

• Little Helper
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:20 PM

Its broken beyond belief. It doesnt power up and if you start spamming the button it will power down while powered down.

#8 Budor

• 2,565 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:51 AM

/bump

#9 Codejack

Dezgra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts
  • LocationChattanooga, TN

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:15 AM

I like the new system; now, when I see a mech shutdown, I slow down, take my time, and place my shot right in the cockpit.

Now if they'd just fix the netcode so that I actually hit where I aim more than half the time.... no, wait, never mind; I don't want them touching it and screwing it up even worse.

#10 Corison

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:18 AM

If you shutdown, trying hitting "O"verride, then hitting "P"ower. That's how it seems to work for me, but I don't shutdown all that often.

Of course you will be taking damage at this point because your heat level is to high, but that's the risk.

Edited by Corison, 25 January 2013 - 09:18 AM.

#11 Pr8Dator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,306 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSeoul, Korea

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:27 AM

Ever since this "improved" heat override system, I've sent my Penta PPC Phract into the garage... ;)

#12 Zolthar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 162 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:36 AM

View PostPr8Dator, on 25 January 2013 - 09:27 AM, said:

Ever since this "improved" heat override system, I've sent my Penta PPC Phract into the garage... ;)

Why??

If you know that your shot will overheat you, press O prior firing...

Beside that I like the new system, makes sure all of us are more concerned about overheating. Instead of just spamming your alpha strike, then spam O to override the shutdown process... that was a bit brainless.

#13 Rokuzachi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 511 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:41 AM

Something definitely isn't right.

Can't manually power back up, and when I've auto-powered up, I've had the no HUD bug ;)

#14 wynce

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 57 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:42 AM

I haven't been able to get the hang of it either. They way i read the notes it seemed that if you hit "O" when you get the warning you should avoid shutting down altogether but i've found slamming "O" doesn't do anything and i end up shutting down.

#15 Max Immelmann

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 568 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:42 AM

everytime i try the new system, when i recover from the shutdown, i lose my HUD and i iceskate instead of walk.

#16 Elandyll

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:46 AM

The way I understand it, "O' used to be used to override when down.

Now, it must be used before hand (to basically override the shutdown).
To force power a Mech in shutdown, you now (again, If I understand correctly) must use the P key which is a force power up or down.

My problem is: I wish that when down we could still see our Heat level and make an informed decision as to our Forced Power Up instead of guessing if we have a chance to not take "too much" internal damages.

#17 pcunite

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:11 AM

I don't like the new system. Override, should that not override what is beginning to happen?

#18 Orzorn

• 3,327 posts
  • LocationComanche, Texas

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:19 AM

Okay guys, here's how it is:
When you THINK your next few shots are going to overheat you, press 'O'. That will stop the overheat mechanic for 5 seconds. So if you do that just before firing, then fire and reach 100% heat, you won't shut down.

On the other side, if you don't attempt an over ride, and you reach 100% heat, you will shut down. Pressing 'P' will restart your mech, but you will start taking damage if you stay over 100% heat. I lost my left arm and leg yesterday because of that.

The reason it might not seem like pressing 'P' is not working is that the animation for your pilot to press the buttons MUST play. Try overheating, pressing 'P', and using free look to look at your pilot's hand. You'll see it reach up and press the power switch to the mech, which takes about a half second or a second to do, then your mech powers up after about a half second. It feels much longer than it used to take to power back up, pre-patch, but I like that. It punishes over heating much more.

Just try it out. I have, and I can definitely say that this is how it works. I haven't experienced any bugs or issues with it yet, so that makes me doubt some of the claims in this thread. But then again, the possibility of bugs is always around, so I can't say much about that.

Edited by Orzorn, 25 January 2013 - 10:20 AM.

#19 Nightfangs

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:05 AM

I'm still waiting for the option to permanently toggle override on/off.
When you are in a heated (haha) fight to the limit, it's the ONE moment you have the least time to pummel your O-Button all the time.

Edited by Nightfangs, 25 January 2013 - 11:05 AM.

#20 Orzorn

• 3,327 posts
  • LocationComanche, Texas

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:10 AM

View PostNightfangs, on 25 January 2013 - 11:05 AM, said:

I'm still waiting for the option to permanently toggle override on/off.
When you are in a heated (haha) fight to the limit, it's the ONE moment you have the least time to pummel your O-Button all the time.

If MWO supports binding of multiple keys to the same button, you could just bind override to left or right click or something, so you're constantly doing it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users