Anyone Know How Clans Will Be Introduced?

45 replies to this topic

#1 thanosazlin

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:30 AM

i am an old BT tabletop gamer. i got tinto BT in 1990 stopped around 2000, i also played MW1,2,3 and MCommander1 and 2. I also played BT at Virtualworld at Dave and Busters in the late 90's. I was really excited about hearing MWO was being developed. i am enjoying it so much. I just wanted to know if anyone knows when and how the Clans will be introduced?

- will we be able to play as clans?
- will the clans be limited in mech ration against inner sphere mechs in matches? in BT the clans would barter between each other to see which clan would take on battles with the least forces against the Inner sphere factions, so if you played IS you had more mechs but weaker technology.
- how will c-bills work if we are able to play as clan will there be a different or no currency?

I got on the open beta dec. 26 and i am just waiting to see how the clans are placed and used before i decide to spend alot of $$$ on MWO to be honest. as a BT table top gamer from long ago it makes a big difference to me.

If we are just battling clans i will enjoy it but i will not be shelling out in extra bucks.

#2 Monkey Bone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 726 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:32 AM

My money is on that they come as a surprise to everyone.

I think they mentioned somewhere that you need a separate account for clans, or your account will be divided in to 2 for clan and IS accounts.

Could explain their super-slow progress with everything if they have been doing clan **** behind the scenes.

Edited by Jules Gonzales, 28 January 2013 - 04:32 AM.

#3 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:32 AM

No one knows. Everything we have is pure speculation that ranges from things like "AI" to "MC only".

#4 Jarto

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:35 AM

View PostThorn Hallis, on 28 January 2013 - 04:32 AM, said:

No one knows. Everything we have is pure speculation that ranges from things like "AI" to "MC only".

AI -> Could be great
MC Only -> definitely awful, I´ll leave the game and never come back....

#5 Corison

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:38 AM

Hopefully never... Clans were the worst thing to ever happen to battletech... Notice the game about died when they were introduced. :)

#6 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:39 AM

View PostCorison, on 28 January 2013 - 04:38 AM, said:

Hopefully never... Clans were the worst thing to ever happen to battletech... Notice the game about died when they were introduced. :)

They were introduced in 1989...

#7 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:44 AM

Anyone know how clans will be introduced?

Yep!

Oh... you meant us players? No, sorry! Only the developers are in the know right now.
From the lates QnA

Q: [insert question about Clans]
A: We are not ready to discuss any details surrounding the clans at this time, including all edge case questions about technology, power, designs, concepts, etc. We are actively designing these features at the moment.

Edited by Egomane, 28 January 2013 - 04:45 AM.

#8 Corison

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:46 AM

View PostThorn Hallis, on 28 January 2013 - 04:39 AM, said:

They were introduced in 1989...

Yep, about when the game died as far as most people cared. There was a bit of a re-birth for a while when they moved past the clans but not much. To be honest 3025 is when the game was at its best, but I haven't read up to much on the dark ages. Will see if that ever gets developed further.

#9 Jakob Knight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:33 AM

As others have said, no one knows at this point. With the game still in Beta, and many features yet to be introduced and tweeked, an expansion such as the Clans is probably not going to happen for a year or so after the game officially launches.

As a guess, I will say sometime in 2014-2015, since the roadmaps they are coming out with now go out to about that time, and do not include the Clans, but do include features already announced which have a higher priority for the game.

On the other hand, as we've seen with ECM, the Devs don't always follow common sense and release things pretty much when and how they like, so they could well drop them onto Beta just because one of the senior Devs needs his Clan fix.

#10 thanosazlin

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:34 AM

IMO it was great, we would have to some awesome battles clan vs IS, with the GM being either or, or the players mixed. it was alot of fun, then we would just have campaigns as a merc unit battling IS and clan or whomever, then you had Solaris VII as well. i guess it's all about how you used what was available for content :).

#11 SmoothCriminal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 815 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:39 AM

No one knows. But I think it would be hilarious if in one twitch TV game, Garth turns up in an imba Madcat and kills EVERYONE.

#12 bug3at3r

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:41 AM

View PostCorison, on 28 January 2013 - 04:46 AM, said:

Yep, about when the game died as far as most people cared. There was a bit of a re-birth for a while when they moved past the clans but not much. To be honest 3025 is when the game was at its best, but I haven't read up to much on the dark ages. Will see if that ever gets developed further.

...wut?

Didn't they make several games after 89 plus write several other books?

Where do you get off saying most people?

#13 Cole Allard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 738 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:47 AM

View Postthanosazlin, on 28 January 2013 - 04:30 AM, said:

I got on the open beta dec. 26 and i am just waiting to see how the clans are placed and used before i decide to spend alot of $$$ on MWO to be honest. as a BT table top gamer from long ago it makes a big difference to me.

Of course no one can force you to anything.

BUT : if you played MW games for so long, the fact alone that you can now play a "nice" (yeah, dont start a discussion about this word) Battletech Online game should make you smile. Yes the Clans are anounced...no more details on when and on what so ever.

Every answer you get here is "hear/say" from the development page posted by the devs. All we know is that they will come in 2013.

If now everyone was thinking like "I just give them my 2 cents when I get what I want"...we would not be here. Devs work, and we support more or less actively by maybe spending some coins here and there (at everyone's discretion).

There is just one thing you have to understand: (and yes, it took me a while to get it, because like you I'm from the TableTop) this is a PC game. Your knowledge of lore will help you, but it will not save you. Most gamers here dont even like it. So, do not expect anything from the lore to be seen here...exept a few little things like mechs, names, weapons, and such.

What I mean to say is: be happy with what you have right now, it will help you appreciate it!

My personal tip to you: get into contact with a community of MWO players, it is 300% more rewarding then just joining playing on your own.

#14 Cole Allard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 738 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:51 AM

View PostJarto, on 28 January 2013 - 04:35 AM, said:

MC Only -> definitely awful, I´ll leave the game and never come back....

Noooo...dont leave! We will miss your many intellectual posts and your F2P account! C'mon...stay....please?!?

Edited by Cole Allard, 28 January 2013 - 05:56 AM.

#15 Kunae

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,303 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:53 AM

View Postthanosazlin, on 28 January 2013 - 04:30 AM, said:

i am an old BT tabletop gamer. i got tinto BT in 1990 stopped around 2000, i also played MW1,2,3 and MCommander1 and 2. I also played BT at Virtualworld at Dave and Busters in the late 90's. I was really excited about hearing MWO was being developed. i am enjoying it so much. I just wanted to know if anyone knows when and how the Clans will be introduced?

- will we be able to play as clans?
- will the clans be limited in mech ration against inner sphere mechs in matches? in BT the clans would barter between each other to see which clan would take on battles with the least forces against the Inner sphere factions, so if you played IS you had more mechs but weaker technology.
- how will c-bills work if we are able to play as clan will there be a different or no currency?

If we are just battling clans i will enjoy it but i will not be shelling out in extra bucks.

Nope, no one knows.

View PostEgomane, on 28 January 2013 - 04:44 AM, said:

Yep!

Oh... you meant us players? No, sorry! Only the developers are in the know right now.
From the lates QnA

Nope. Even the Devs don't "know".

#16 Congzilla

• The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:01 AM

View Postbug3at3r, on 28 January 2013 - 05:41 AM, said:

...wut?

Didn't they make several games after 89 plus write several other books?

Where do you get off saying most people?

Just ignore him, it is painfully obvious he has little knowledge of the history of Battletech.

#17 ArchAngelWC

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Captain
  • Star Captain
  • 230 posts
  • Locationaboard the Smoke Jaguar Warship, "Sabre Hawk" in orbit above the PGI office

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:04 AM

Seriously...the Clans did not kill BT....when someone decided to end the clan timeline by having the Inner Sphere mystically unscrew all political differences and invade the Kerensky Cluster...then wipe out the only "real" clan left..Smoke Jaguar..(in what will remain a completely BS storyline)....was only the beginning of BT's death...then they started the WoB toaster crusade..which killed all the remaining history of battletech with nuclear weapons...and did the toaster v Republic of the Sphere timeline...

Lets face it..you need clans...because you really want that Atlas MkII :)

Edited by ArchAngelWC, 28 January 2013 - 06:05 AM.

#18 Jarto

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:11 AM

View PostCole Allard, on 28 January 2013 - 05:51 AM, said:

Noooo...dont leave! We will miss your many intellectual posts and your F2P account! C'mon...stay....please?!?

I dont post a lot (im not a native English speaker), but I play a lot and i have spend some money in MWO. More than the prize of any other AAA title that isn't free to play.

Mi opinion is as valid as the one from anybody else.

#19 Congzilla

• The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:14 AM

View PostArchAngelWC, on 28 January 2013 - 06:04 AM, said:

Seriously...the Clans did not kill BT....when someone decided to end the clan timeline by having the Inner Sphere mystically unscrew all political differences and invade the Kerensky Cluster...then wipe out the only "real" clan left..Smoke Jaguar..(in what will remain a completely BS storyline)....was only the beginning of BT's death...then they started the WoB toaster crusade..which killed all the remaining history of battletech with nuclear weapons...and did the toaster v Republic of the Sphere timeline...

Lets face it..you need clans...because you really want that Atlas MkII :)

They had to do the Jihad that way. Unfortunately the "Dark Ages" clix stuff screwed up the future storyline and Catalyst had to bridge the gap.

#20 Agent of Change

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,119 posts
  • LocationBetween Now and Oblivion

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:14 AM

I predict the clans will show up suddenly, many people will take a virtual 2X4 to their E-peens and the forumite wailing and gnashing of teeth will be so loud you will hear it two websites over.

The Forums will then descend into a cesspit of recrimination, trolling , and bitching about how everything is OP and that instead of adapting we should nerf everything into a crater. There will be accusation of breaking canon, staying to close to TT and questions about having 3PV (for some reason). A bunch of people will scream P2W (because they don't know what that term means) a bunch of people will cry that Clans ruin everything, and a number of posters will make a case that PGI is responsible for all the worlds problems because of how they are developing this one free to play game. Many people will threaten to leave the game, most won't but many will (for the sake of their sanity) step away from the boards.

There will be new equipment, and in the end shiny new chicken legged mechs for me to stomp around in and enjoy... after the long cycle of buffs and nerfs that come with a massive introduction of new content.

........Unless you meant how are they are actually going to show up in the game initially, i have no idea.

TLDR: No clue, but I bet it will get funny/horrible on the forums.

EDIT: for some reason I invert a lot of letters...

Edited by Agent of Change, 28 January 2013 - 06:16 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users