Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:52 AM

Posted Image

#62 Ephrael

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:37 AM

View PostDishevel, on 29 January 2013 - 09:07 AM, said:

Nope.
What I was saying is that it was monumentally stupid for someone to decide to open the beta with no useful information in the mech lab. Period.
Similarly stupid would be for me to make changes to a mission critical system hours before our busiest time when fixes will take longer and be more expensive.
I have responsibilities in my job. If I perform them badly enough I can and will be fired.
So when NRP stated that "I'm almost certain that anyone who would make such a preposterous claim would not like having that same level of consequence applied to themselves in their jobs."
I just pointed out that there are stupid things I can do that will result in the loss of my job.
I also am not 100% on this but except for Union workers I am fairly sure that everyone else has a list of stupid things they should not do lest they lose their employment.

Not really its a decision based on money, profit and costumers. They calculated that leaving this information out was not "Mission Critical" compared to, lets say, spend time on making the game crash less. The game is still in beta open, it means things dont work.
To compare it with your terminoligy, it would be the same when you setup a new server, i guess you test it before bringing it online.
And seeing that your still here, given that they made a decision to leaver out (according to you) mission critical information. I'd say they calculated right in spending thier resources.

Regards Ephrael.

Edited by Ephrael, 30 January 2013 - 07:37 AM.

#63 Eddy Hawkins

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 154 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:44 AM

View PostBDU Havoc, on 30 January 2013 - 06:52 AM, said:

Posted Image

HA

#64 Star Colonel Mustard Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 488 posts
  • LocationNarnia

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:01 AM

View PostEddy Hawkins, on 30 January 2013 - 06:37 AM, said:

How much damage? Because that is really the argument we are having. Some say there is a drop off in damage within 90m, some say there is zero damage. I believe if there is any, it is probably a single point of damage. In my OP, the example I was describing was Catapult with three PPC, the second was an Awesome with four, i stood maybe 2m from them and my armor did flash when i was hit, however it never changed from yellow. Given that I was in a light, if the damage I was receiving was anything substantial I should have seen my armor degrade to some degree.

It scales linearly, a PPC at 45m will do 5 damage.

#65 Thuzel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:07 AM

View PostKarr285, on 29 January 2013 - 09:13 PM, said:

is it really that baffling? PPCs have an actual component in them as a safety feature so you dont kill yourself shooting them that close.

A gauss Rifle shoots a Projectile, so unless the gauss rifle shoots the "bullet" and then teleports it Xmeters away then it continues its flight THAT would make no sense.

Well, it's baffling to me in the same sense that people try to explain BT and MW weapon mechanics from a "scientific" point of view. The truth is that the weapon mechanics were put in place to keep the game playing well, and anything other than that was a secondary concern. Any kind of reasoning people may do to explain them are subject to things that don't make sense without some mental acrobatics (e.g "field inhibitors" that affect a PPC but not an ER PPC, etc...)

Also, as others have pointed out, the minimums used to affect how difficult it was to hit with that weapon, not how much damage it did. I suspect if PGI had found a decent way for weapon minimums to affect a pilot's aim, we'd be talking about that instead of a damage reduction. Either way, though, that's all moot because this isn't TT.

What really does make me wonder was how they removed minimums for only specific weapons and what that did to overall balance. Truth be told, I just want a balanced, varied, and fun game and I don't really care how many "heisenberg compensators" or "field inhibitors" they have to use.

#66 Thuzel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:34 AM

View PostAstroniomix, on 30 January 2013 - 08:01 AM, said:

It scales linearly, a PPC at 45m will do 5 damage.

I think some of the confusion comes from hit detection issues that I see with the PPC from time to time. Even after the latest patch, there have been several scenarios where I've watched a PPC hit a target and do no damage at all, inside the minimum and outside.

Some of that is probably due to net code, but it does seem like PPC's suffer from false hits more than other ballistic style weapons.

#67 Mazzyplz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:10 AM

fail posters failed to realize the ranges show up ingame

next to your weapon groups there's a range indicator, with the numbers clearly written on it, if a gun is in perfect range it will become green i believe, if it's in range to do any damage other than optimal it becomes white, and if it won't it becomes greyed out

#68 Thomas Dziegielewski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere - St.Ives - CERES METALS, AAlcadis Revised Underground Complex, B5

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:14 AM

View PostSug, on 29 January 2013 - 11:48 AM, said:

Source? Yesterday I shot a stationary dc'd Spider with a PPC at 75m in the back 10 times before it died. Pretty sure the damage drop off is pretty steep.

It's linear.

#69 BlackSquirrel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 873 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:27 AM

View PostThomas Dziegielewski, on 30 January 2013 - 10:14 AM, said:

It's linear.

0 - 100% from 0 - 90? I thought it didnt do any damage < 90.

#70 Krzysztof z Bagien

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 710 posts
  • LocationUć, Poland

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:56 AM

View PostThomas Dziegielewski, on 30 January 2013 - 10:14 AM, said:

It's linear.

I was checking it yesterday with my friend and it seems that PPC does half of its damage at about 60m, and at 45m it's more like 3.5.

#71 TexAce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:56 AM

View PostBlackSquirrel, on 30 January 2013 - 10:27 AM, said:

0 - 100% from 0 - 90? I thought it didnt do any damage < 90.

well now you know better

#72 Rift Hawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 532 posts
  • LocationThe moon

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:13 AM

View PostBDU Havoc, on 28 January 2013 - 08:25 AM, said:

The minimum range is always staying in game. He's referring to the MechLab being a WIP and having values added to the displays in game.

True story. Also, there is a fix coming for PPCs and ER PPCs, as well as large pulse and er large. Its supposed to fix the heat on those weapons to make them more usable.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users