In-Game Lance Communications. We Need Them.

74 replies to this topic

#1 Omega59er

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 394 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 05 November 2011 - 09:15 AM

With the game being advertised as "tactical" and what not, this aspect of the battlefield can not be overlooked.
Lance Voice Communication (Not Team Communication) would be a great part of making MWO truly tactical and more strategic. If there is some "Commander" role, the Commander should have the ability to patch his communication into the different lances for orders. So, point of this suggestion. This game will need in-game voice communication, and not just team communication but lance communication.

*EDIT*: If an in-game voice system is implemented, there should be a toggle to turn on/off in-game voice. Perhaps even a selective mute. If one person is particularly annoying, mute him and still be able to hear everyone else.

Edited by omega5-9er, 05 November 2011 - 10:00 AM.

#2 Jack Gallows

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 09:23 AM

Most people are probably going to opt for using Teamspeak or Ventrilo.

#3 Grafix TM

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • LocationWorld Traveler

Posted 05 November 2011 - 09:27 AM

This is true which is why the BattleField Series (BF2, BF2142, and BF3) of games are very popular. In these games the "Commander" of the whole team has voice communications to each "Squad Leader" and the "Squad Leader" has voice communications to his "Squad" and to the "Commander" using different assignable buttons.

Majority of the Veteran BattleTech House Groups already have established 3rd Party Voice Coms that they use (ie Team Speak and Ventrillo).

#4 Firefly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 757 posts
  • LocationAtlanta GA

Posted 05 November 2011 - 09:32 AM

In-game voice makes me shudder. Sorry, but having ripped it up in Team Fortress 2 and Global Agenda, I do not want in-game voice. *IF* it's added, please make it come with a toggle button. I do not want to be forced to listen to some 12 year old who just learned the F-word from overhearing his mom entertaining Johns in the bedroom. I sat through that one match in Global Agenda, this kid was angry because he was getting owned and for a solid ten minutes it was eff this, eff that, homophobic slurs and racial epithets.

No thanks. At best, please include a toggle. Because I'll just adopt a policy of "if you want to run in my lance, here's my TS3 IP".

#5 infinite xaer0

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 09:34 AM

it would be beyond stupid to put VOIP into this game and not include an option to mute people...

#6 Silent

• 1,207 posts
  • LocationButte Hold

Posted 05 November 2011 - 09:36 AM

View PostJack Gallows, on 05 November 2011 - 09:23 AM, said:

You're still going to need a way to communicate vocally with the people that aren't on your personal Vent server. But I think in this day and age most developers know they have to put in at least some form of crude voice chat.

Edited by Silent, 05 November 2011 - 09:37 AM.

#7 Firefly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 757 posts
  • LocationAtlanta GA

Posted 05 November 2011 - 09:42 AM

View PostSilent, on 05 November 2011 - 09:36 AM, said:

You're still going to need a way to communicate vocally with the people that aren't on your personal Vent server.

I've seen and played MMOs that don't have in-game voice chat. And honestly I prefer the ability to just send a /tell or /whisper with the server IP. And that way, I don't have to have in-game chat for the random mercs whilst operating Teamspeak for the people that have it. Two separate voice programs, one of them with zero moderation short of kicking a guy out of the lance? No thanks. I think the people with TS/Vent will probably stick with that exclusively. Most of us don't have a problem, I would think, with the whole whispering of the IP.

#8 itchies

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 70 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 05 November 2011 - 09:47 AM

I don't mind having it both ways - vent and in game system. more options brings better results in the end.

#9 Silent

• 1,207 posts
  • LocationButte Hold

Posted 05 November 2011 - 09:48 AM

Good luck typing "/whisper Jack Gallows There's an urbie sneaking up behind you on the left side of that building, watch it" while you're in the heat of battle.

#10 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 09:49 AM

View PostSilent, on 05 November 2011 - 09:36 AM, said:

You're still going to need a way to communicate vocally with the people that aren't on your personal Vent server. But I think in this day and age most developers know they have to put in at least some form of crude voice chat.

They're will almost certainly be an in game voice channel, and can be used in tandem with Vent/TS. Or, people may be satisfied with just typing in the chat box that'll be there.

Interesting idea I found in Left 4 Dead, was point to point communication for smack talk, lol. There was a server that, when an player was on the infected side and latched onto a survivor player, with something like a smoker, it'd open a 1 to 1 voice channel and you could taunt them. :)

View PostSilent, on 05 November 2011 - 09:48 AM, said:

Good luck typing "/whisper Jack Gallows There's an urbie sneaking up behind you on the left side of that building, watch it" while you're in the heat of battle.

/w Jack Gallows: Urb, rear left. Most teams will be on vent or some other voice program, so it probably won't be a huge deal. If someone is on your team that isn't in vent or can't be, I'm fine with dropping into the games built in voice program so they can at least hear me.

I'm not the stand offish type that is "vent or nothing"

Edited by Jack Gallows, 05 November 2011 - 09:51 AM.

#11 Omega59er

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 394 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 05 November 2011 - 09:56 AM

View PostFirefly, on 05 November 2011 - 09:32 AM, said:

In-game voice makes me shudder. Sorry, but having ripped it up in Team Fortress 2 and Global Agenda, I do not want in-game voice. *IF* it's added, please make it come with a toggle button. I do not want to be forced to listen to some 12 year old who just learned the F-word from overhearing his mom entertaining Johns in the bedroom. I sat through that one match in Global Agenda, this kid was angry because he was getting owned and for a solid ten minutes it was eff this, eff that, homophobic slurs and racial epithets.

No thanks. At best, please include a toggle. Because I'll just adopt a policy of "if you want to run in my lance, here's my TS3 IP".

View PostJack Gallows, on 05 November 2011 - 09:23 AM, said:

I do agree that the mute button should be added for in-game. But most games do that anyways. In-fact I think all games do that when using in-game voice. But I'll add it to the suggestion. Hopefully the suggestions are being watched.

One of my points about the Pros for having in-game voice is that not everyone can afford to buy a Vent or Teamspeak server. Starting a new Company/Clan (as I am) will be hard to communicate. And I very much dread using Steam Voice Comunication. I would rather have an in-game voice system.

But to the thing about the kids yelling slurs and things everywhere, I don't know how many kids will be interested in Mechwarrior. I know that isn't a great assurance, so how about this, in Company Battles it would not be the games fault that kid is yelling in the mic, it's the Company that recruited him into their ranks.

#12 Firefly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 757 posts
  • LocationAtlanta GA

Posted 05 November 2011 - 09:58 AM

View PostSilent, on 05 November 2011 - 09:48 AM, said:

I think you're misunderstanding me. I mean something like this (exaggerated, obviously, for comic effect):

* JackGallows has joined your lance
/tell JackGallows hey mate, our TS IP is 867.5309.OICU.812
[five minutes elapse, no sign of JackGallows on TS3 but he/she is actively playing]
[Lance] Firefly: Hey JackGallows, get on TS3 please. I sent you a /tell with the IP
[Lance] JackGallows: No.
* JackGallows has been removed from your lance
[Tell] JackGallows: u a-hole

View Postomega5-9er, on 05 November 2011 - 09:56 AM, said:

One of my points about the Pros for having in-game voice is that not everyone can afford to buy a Vent or Teamspeak server. Starting a new Company/Clan (as I am) will be hard to communicate. And I very much dread using Steam Voice Comunication. I would rather have an in-game voice system.

TS3 and Ventrilo clients are free downloads. If someone gives you the IP, you just get on it. If you mean founding a server for your own, then yes. It theoretically requires a rental, unless you own your own website and can host it on your own box.

Edited by Firefly, 05 November 2011 - 10:00 AM.

#13 Silent

• 1,207 posts
  • LocationButte Hold

Posted 05 November 2011 - 09:59 AM

View PostJack Gallows, on 05 November 2011 - 09:49 AM, said:

Interesting idea I found in Left 4 Dead, was point to point communication for smack talk, lol. There was a server that, when an player was on the infected side and latched onto a survivor player, with something like a smoker, it'd open a 1 to 1 voice channel and you could taunt them. :)

That's interesting. It's too bad voice in games is usually an afterthought and creative uses like this are usually overlooked.

#14 Omega59er

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 394 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 05 November 2011 - 10:03 AM

View PostFirefly, on 05 November 2011 - 09:58 AM, said:

TS3 and Ventrilo clients are free downloads. If someone gives you the IP, you just get on it. If you mean founding a server for your own, then yes. It theoretically requires a rental, unless you own your own website and can host it on your own box.

They're free? I was told you had to pay for them. >.> In-Game Voice should still be implemented! :)
There's no way they are free.

Edited by omega5-9er, 05 November 2011 - 10:05 AM.

#15 DFDelta

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 November 2011 - 10:06 AM

Ingame voice chat only if it is well made.
- That means it should be reasonable good in quality, while not draining your whole bandwith... 50% of all games do already fail here.
- Should have a mute button for certain players. You know... guys with pseudo-tourette, 12 year olds that have to test the new swear words they've learned.
- A slider for the volume of each player. I can't count how many times I sat in some VOIP capable game and I could not even really hear that guy 1 was saying something, while at the same time I had to take off my headset whenever guy 2 started talking because he was to frikkin loud.

Else I'll stick to TS3.

#16 Aegis Kleais

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 10:07 AM

In game comms, along with the ability to broadcast on open waves (so all players nearby can hear it on those channels) as well as communicating with only your lance and/or others, would be excellent.

That way you can "listen in" on set channels.

Lance Comms
Team Comms
Public Comms

You can also choose which to receive.

#17 Silent

• 1,207 posts
  • LocationButte Hold

Posted 05 November 2011 - 10:07 AM

View Postomega5-9er, on 05 November 2011 - 10:03 AM, said:

They're free? I was told you had to pay for them. >.> In-Game Voice should still be implemented! :)

The software for Teamspeak and Ventrilo is free to use. You can download one of them and join a server right now and talk free of charge. It only costs money if you want to host a server for other people to join, but even that isn't that expensive.

Edited by Silent, 05 November 2011 - 10:07 AM.

#18 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 10:09 AM

View PostFirefly, on 05 November 2011 - 09:58 AM, said:

I think you're misunderstanding me. I mean something like this (exaggerated, obviously, for comic effect):

* JackGallows has joined your lance
/tell JackGallows hey mate, our TS IP is 867.5309.OICU.812
[five minutes elapse, no sign of JackGallows on TS3 but he/she is actively playing]
[Lance] Firefly: Hey JackGallows, get on TS3 please. I sent you a /tell with the IP
[Lance] JackGallows: No.
* JackGallows has been removed from your lance
[Tell] JackGallows: u a-hole

You do realize, the point is that people don't have to play nice with you regardless. People may still abstain from using the regular voice chat.

You give them a chance, if you try to make it work, if it doesn't...then you lose. Next game. You cannot make people work with you if they don't want to, voice chat or not.

View PostSilent, on 05 November 2011 - 10:07 AM, said:

The software for Teamspeak and Ventrilo is free to use. You can download one of them and join a server right now and talk free of charge. It only costs money if you want to host a server for other people to join, but even that isn't that expensive.

Yea, it's really dirt cheap to run a server, and you get to pick the price basically depending on player capacity.

Edited by Jack Gallows, 05 November 2011 - 10:10 AM.

#19 Ghost

Com Guard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 10:16 AM

In-game voice is vital.

#20 Firefly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 757 posts
  • LocationAtlanta GA

Posted 05 November 2011 - 10:20 AM

View Postomega5-9er, on 05 November 2011 - 10:03 AM, said:

Someone already addressed this. So the only thing I will add is, hosting a TS server is free if you have the ability. Vent is proprietary as far as I know and servers require rental. And they are inexpensive.

View PostJack Gallows, on 05 November 2011 - 10:09 AM, said:

You do realize, the point is that people don't have to play nice with you regardless. People may still abstain from using the regular voice chat.

You give them a chance, if you try to make it work, if it doesn't...then you lose. Next game. You cannot make people work with you if they don't want to, voice chat or not.

I don't care if the example player sent me a naughty tell. That's what the ignore feature is for.

Whether it's a persistent world or e-sports server matches, non-teamplayers will not mesh well with me. This is my personal preference and by all means no one is forced to comply. If you're a lone wolf, have fun with that. If I'm running a lance and I cannot get the player to cooperate and coordinate, whether they're on my TS server or using in-game voice or typing, they're not going to remain in my lance. That's my gameplay style. Again, no one has to like it - they simply exit the lance or they're helped out, so that we can find someone who will. And the same goes for role reversal - if I am in your lance and you need me to communicate, you get my 100% cooperation.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users