53 replies to this topic

#21 Wrenchfarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:07 AM

View PostStingz, on 31 January 2013 - 04:33 AM, said:

The Centurion has x2 M.Lasers in the CT (and can still kill). Twisting means forcing your opponent to burn away everything first. (It's why some Centurions feel ridiculously durable)

The legs are always there, probably holding ammo, and very likely skimmed on armor to save weight.

I agree with Stingz. It is very easy to say "lol, just aim for CT" but in actual gameplay, the Cent is one of the hardest mechs to reliably hit in the CT. Between the skinny hitbox and any active use of torso twisting, you're likely to spread a ton of damage around to the arms and sides while trying for the centre. Hitting the legs is easy, reliable, and can often reap ammo explosions.

Of course, if your opponent is braindead and standing still feel free to aim for the CT. But in that case why not be truly L33T and go for the cockpit?

#22 Tremendous Upside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 738 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:36 AM

View PostEwigan, on 31 January 2013 - 12:48 AM, said:

I do not own an AL yet, but it will be my next mech purchase.

Here is my theoretical build:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7821231a51ab012

Any suggestions to it?

You're gonna run hot for sure. Here's the build I've been running (it's not all that different). It works great.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6ca9377eadc4468

The heat still won't look all that impressive, but you're not gonna use the PPC at point blank to finish things off. It's in there to give you something to trade with at longer ranges and as you close on targets. You'd be surprised how easy it is to back an enemy missile boat/sniper into cover with just one PPC firing every 3 seconds...

#23 Ewigan

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,168 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:25 AM

Sadly it sports an XL :(

I worked with your Build though and that is what i came up with:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...008f4bf52a84214

Edited by Ewigan, 31 January 2013 - 06:38 AM.

#24 Alvin Exe

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:39 AM

Hi there, first participation :(

I actually play a lot on my AL since i'm maxing Cent skills... and I run this setup:
- 2 ML (RA)
- 1 LL (CT)
- 2 LRM 10 (LT)
- STD Engine and NO ammo in the legs :ph34r:

Link here: CN9-AL

Very good at softening at long range, and the PEW the face off at med range.

This said, I think it's a very versatile chassis that depend your playstyle...

#25 Kargarok

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 131 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:53 AM

This is what I would have run on my AL if I had wanted to put money into it when grinding XP.

CN9-AL

XL engines aren't a huge deal in centurians though you can get into trouble if you're not careful. Just remember to torso twist and keep moving. You don't have the armor of an Atlas but you can be faster than most mechs.

#26 Stingz

• 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:05 AM

Reliable PPC build I've used [Link], remember to open the bay doors.
I still prefer the -AL stock, with some changes.

Edited by Stingz, 31 January 2013 - 07:05 AM.

#27 Wrenchfarm

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:06 AM

View PostAlvin Exe, on 31 January 2013 - 06:39 AM, said:

Hi there, first participation :(

I actually play a lot on my AL since i'm maxing Cent skills... and I run this setup:
- 2 ML (RA)
- 1 LL (CT)
- 2 LRM 10 (LT)
- STD Engine and NO ammo in the legs :ph34r:

Link here: CN9-AL

Very good at softening at long range, and the PEW the face off at med range.

This said, I think it's a very versatile chassis that depend your playstyle...

What an unorthodox build! I wouldn't run it, but it's interesting to see something so different from the usual set-ups.

I might recommend shaving a half ton of armour off the legs (takes them down to 39/48 each) and picking up CASE for the RT. Ammo explosions are bad news and your side torso WILL be hit in a Cent (if your twisting like you should be).

Personally, I'd just slot the ammo in the legs. If you are going to sock it away in the chest though, you should probably get CASE.

#28 Ewigan

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,168 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:10 AM

yeah, especially as more and more people start to go for the legs, no matter what chassis you drive.

Well, at least i do that. It's fun to leg assaults :(

#29 Alvin Exe

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:14 AM

View PostWrenchfarm, on 31 January 2013 - 07:06 AM, said:

What an unorthodox build! I wouldn't run it, but it's interesting to see something so different from the usual set-ups.

I might recommend shaving a half ton of armour off the legs (takes them down to 39/48 each) and picking up CASE for the RT. Ammo explosions are bad news and your side torso WILL be hit in a Cent (if your twisting like you should be).

Personally, I'd just slot the ammo in the legs. If you are going to sock it away in the chest though, you should probably get CASE.

I'm just playing the past week, so I'm trying a lot of different setup (and playing Eve Online, I'm used to try weird setups). I hear you about CASE, what I was about to do, giving up the .5 of AMS to secure ammo in the torso.
Cents are really leg-dependant cause of their ability to shield quickly, so until final tonnage doesnt impact final speed, I'll armor both !

#30 Wrenchfarm

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:30 AM

Even as a big fan of taking out legs, I usually store my ammo there. Despite my enthusiasm for crippling mechs, the vast majority of players never even think to aim for the legs except for on lights. Some savvy players on the forums are a bit more aware of the potential advantages, but by and large it is pretty safe to store ammo in the legs. It also frees up crit slots for DHS and weapons.

#31 Ewigan

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,168 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:32 AM

I wanna meet ya in my DK Wrenchfarm :(

#32 Shade4x

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 190 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:49 AM

View PostEwigan, on 31 January 2013 - 12:48 AM, said:

I do not own an AL yet, but it will be my next mech purchase.

Here is my theoretical build:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7821231a51ab012

Any suggestions to it?

I think thats a great build. Watch your armor though, if your never been legged with that, you might want to exchange leg armor for a bigger engine. I love the SRM build, and i love the Large laser/med laser combo ever since i played with a timberwolf and vulture in the VR Pods. It just seems right. It's a good brawler, but your going to have heat problems. Might want to switch to 3 large lasers, or 2 small lasers as both are more heat effecient.

#33 Tremendous Upside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 738 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:29 AM

View PostEwigan, on 31 January 2013 - 06:25 AM, said:

Sadly it sports an XL :ph34r:

I worked with your Build though and that is what i came up with:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...008f4bf52a84214

The ERPPC is going to gimp he build to near uselessness. Still too much heat, not enough firepower or DPS. The whole idea with the PPC is to NOT use it under the minimum range unless necessary. Take the ERPPC off your build, stick in a second SRM6 and look at what happens to your heat and DPS? It's still 45 firepower - and nearly doubled the build you just put up....

And now I know there are those that think XL engines are evil... I've run this mech/build for well over a hundred games and side torso damage has killed me once. Literally once. If you don't let yourself get hit and its almost never an issue. And that's where the PPC comes in :(. It gives you something you can wade into fights with instead of having to charge in full speed. Let the big dogs walk in first, and you'll able to flank in and obliterate rear torsos.

#34 Ewigan

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,168 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:57 AM

I've never been a big fan of SRMs, and never used ballistics.

This all changed since i am working on the Cents.
Not having a bic energy weapon on the AL would be a waste though, so throwing out the PPC wouldn't be an option.
Maybe if i replace it with a LL or something....

anyway, tons of good builds in this thread, i can't wait till i have the money to finally get the freaking thing ^^

#35 Tremendous Upside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 738 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:08 AM

View PostEwigan, on 01 February 2013 - 12:57 AM, said:

I've never been a big fan of SRMs, and never used ballistics.

This all changed since i am working on the Cents.
Not having a bic energy weapon on the AL would be a waste though, so throwing out the PPC wouldn't be an option.
Maybe if i replace it with a LL or something....

anyway, tons of good builds in this thread, i can't wait till i have the money to finally get the freaking thing ^^

Think you're misunderstanding where I'm coming from. Large energy weapons are great. If you carry one, you can contribute damage at pretty much any stage of a fight (whether it's large lasers, PPCs, whatever). The problem with the retooled build you have there is that the ERPPC isn't going to help you much at close quarters. Yes, it'll fire for full damage inside the minimum range - but it's an incredibly inefficient weapon to do that with. That's a "last-resort" kind of ability... With the normal PPC, you'll retain most of the same functionality, and in my build, you'll have more than enough firepower to deal with enemies without using it when you need to get up close and personal. It's two sets of weapons to deal with 2 different situations -- and the key is not having the longer range weapon(s) build up so much heat that you'll need to check your fire when a fight unexpectedly ends up in your face (if that makes sense?).

#36 Ewigan

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,168 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:16 AM

I get what you mean.

Well, we will see how it works out. I should have my AL over the weekend, and then try out a few builds.
I am familiar with ERPPCs(i run 2 of those on one of my stalkers), but never used a regular PPC.

Thx for your explanation though!

#37 ReissTC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 112 posts
  • LocationU.K.

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:59 AM

Centurion AL is my favourite mech. Still experimenting with the thing - want to try something with PPCs at some point. Current build, which I've had the most success with so far:

XL255 engine, DHS, Endo-Steel
320 (10 tons) armour
2x Large Laser (RA)
2x Medium Laser (CT)
LRM15 (LT)
2 tons of LRM ammo (legs)
Total of 14 DHS (4 external)

Good firepower and speed, decent survivability. I do want to try adapt it to a standard engine (got my eye on the 230), to take advantage of the thin CT. I use it as a fire support mech; not great at taking hits due to XL, but high firepower for the speed.

#38 Wrenchfarm

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:28 AM

View PostEwigan, on 31 January 2013 - 07:32 AM, said:

I wanna meet ya in my DK Wrenchfarm :D

A fight between your DK and my Cent-9AL? Sure thing :blink:

#39 Risko Vinsheen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 573 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:30 AM

CN9-AL

I've done fairly well with this sniper loadout. I completely skipped over missiles so I could slot in ERPPCs, Medium Pulse Lasers, and fill in as many Double Heat Sinks as I could fit, and not have to worry about ammo explosions at all. The engine is the stock one which is a bit slower than I'd like but I can't fit in an XL engine with all the DHS, but since it's going to be in the back of the fighting anyways speed isn't often an issue. The 16 DHS do an alright job of keeping me cool and I use chainfire to try and give them a bit more time to work their magic.

I tend to try aiming for Heavies or Assaults anyways so it's usually not hard to land both PPCs in the same spot. MPLs give me an extra kick if I get my PPCs blown off than normal Medium Lasers would allow and having played Yen-Lo-Wang, a CN9-D, and this CN9-AL into the Elite tier (and already finished off Yen's Elite boosts) I've become pretty good at spinning my left arm and empty left torso into oncoming fire.

Edited by Risko Vinsheen, 01 February 2013 - 10:31 AM.

#40 Ewigan

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,168 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:26 AM

Hi guys,

i do own my AL since the last weekend now, and have a loadout that is really fun to play so far.

Here it is:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...cbe6f9c5c79e7b4

My main weapons are of course the 2 LRM10s, what work awesomly well in combination with the TAG in the arm.
As you rarely alpha everything, cause that would mean someone is storming in a straight line at ya and who would be THAT silly?, you have no heat problems.
The only weakness i still have to overcome is the combination of my M-Laser in the arm and those in the torso, so i tend to use those on different weapon groups.

You basically have a highly mobile missible plattform what isn't really "boating", cause you still have 3 backup M-lasers.

When the Trebuchet hits i will probably completely revamp this build to something more close range, but until then it works pretty well :D

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users