Centurion Cn9-Al Request Build

53 replies to this topic

#41 Psiclone

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:53 AM

This is the loadout I use. 250 Engine for the 10 free DHS, 2 PPCs rather than ERPPCs because the heat trade off is not worth the extra range. 2 ML for support and backup when your arm gets blown off.. As a medium mech you have more than enough speed to get 80m between you and your targets, even lights, to get those PPC shots. Mainly a fast sniper with durability when you need to jump in and take some hits for the team.

I'm considering getting the XL260 and running this instead just for some additional long range damage but at the expense of survivability.

#42 Postumus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 399 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:55 AM

View PostShade4x, on 31 January 2013 - 12:33 AM, said:

Also ER large lasers are the most heat ineffecient weapon in the game for the damage and dps they do. They just have extra range, but become completely useless once you learn how to lead a target with PPC's. I'd love to hear any counter arguement. I just don't see the point.

Well, ok, since you asked for it ;) First, ERLL got their buff, which cuts a fairly good chunk off of their heat buildup. Second, yes, they have extra range, more than a PPC (ERLL 670 - 1350m, vs. PPC 540 - 1060m), which gives the ER the advantage at long range. This isn't such a big deal now, but when the big maps come out you'll be seeing more fights at standoff range. What it does mean now is that at max LRM range, your laser is going to be doing almost all of its damage, whereas the PPC is going to be down to half damage from falloff. I won't argue about visibility, except that an experienced player should be able to localize a PPC firing at them within a shot or two, I always use the audio cue (where did I hear the impact) and the flashing on the paperdoll. As far as accuracy, well, that depends on the player and the target, but between the damage spread on the laser and entirely missed shots on the PPC, I think it's pretty even between the two.

The big benefit of the build I posted, and the reason I used beam lasers instead of PPCs, is because as someone else already mentioned using only PPCs and LRMs makes you very vulnerable to light mechs and brawlers. The lasers have no minimum range, and they are also alot easier to hit lights with.

For the record, the original build I posted was 1x ERLL, 2x ML, 1X LRM15, and the PPC build was 2xPPC, 1x LRM15.

#43 Alopias

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:54 AM

Hi all,

I am pretty much a newbie. My friend told me to try out MWO, since we used to play the board games when we were a lot younger. I must say I love it. Back to topic, by more accident than anything else, I bought a Cen AL, since it looked coolest what I could afford at that time. Now I am kind of stuck with it and I feel I get my a.. kicked all the time so I started upgrading it with some of the Infos I got from this thread, I have now the following

2x LLs
2x MLs
1x 10 LRM
Endo Steel
Double Heat Sink
200 Engine

My question is how can I improve this. I was thinking of PPCs or ERLLs instead of the LLs. I am thankfull for any advice you can give how to play the CEN AL...

#44 Redoxin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 263 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:19 AM

View PostAlopias, on 07 February 2013 - 03:54 AM, said:

Hi all,

I am pretty much a newbie. My friend told me to try out MWO, since we used to play the board games when we were a lot younger. I must say I love it. Back to topic, by more accident than anything else, I bought a Cen AL, since it looked coolest what I could afford at that time. Now I am kind of stuck with it and I feel I get my a.. kicked all the time so I started upgrading it with some of the Infos I got from this thread, I have now the following

2x LLs
2x MLs
1x 10 LRM
Endo Steel
Double Heat Sink
200 Engine

My question is how can I improve this. I was thinking of PPCs or ERLLs instead of the LLs. I am thankfull for any advice you can give how to play the CEN AL...

Just look at the 2 builds in the OP. They are both good. The first one is probably better suited for a beginner.
And going slow like you do with that 200 engine is not a good idea in a Centurion.

#45 Malsumis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 173 posts
  • LocationMA

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:19 AM

I'm loving my CN9-AL. I originally tried it with 2 LL, 2 med lasers, and some SRMs, but I've ended up with this setup. It runs a little hot, but can be managed very easily. The 2 ERPPCs are my main firepower and do plenty of damage and score kill shots as well. The medium lasers are for backup or when you are getting hot but still want to apply pressure. The streaks are mostly for lights but since many pilots tend to want to fight in tight they just add more punch.

#46 Redoxin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 263 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:23 AM

View PostMalsumis, on 07 February 2013 - 04:19 AM, said:

I'm loving my CN9-AL. I originally tried it with 2 LL, 2 med lasers, and some SRMs, but I've ended up with this setup. It runs a little hot, but can be managed very easily. The 2 ERPPCs are my main firepower and do plenty of damage and score kill shots as well. The medium lasers are for backup or when you are getting hot but still want to apply pressure. The streaks are mostly for lights but since many pilots tend to want to fight in tight they just add more punch.

Good build, I like it.
But I would really use normal PPCs instead of the ER-PPCs. You still have enough close range backup weapons with this build.

#47 Alopias

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:36 AM

Hi,

th

View PostRedoxin, on 07 February 2013 - 04:19 AM, said:

Just look at the 2 builds in the OP. They are both good. The first one is probably better suited for a beginner.
And going slow like you do with that 200 engine is not a good idea in a Centurion.

OK...Sorry Newbie question: What do mean with OP?

Is a PPC or ERPPC Damage wise better than LLs or ERLLS???

#48 Redoxin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 263 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:51 AM

View PostAlopias, on 07 February 2013 - 04:36 AM, said:

Hi,

th

OK...Sorry Newbie question: What do mean with OP?

Is a PPC or ERPPC Damage wise better than LLs or ERLLS???

Original Poster or Original Post. I was referring to the opening post of this thread.

PPCs are different from Lasers mainly in the sense that they apply all their damage at once and on one spot, while Lasers have a beam duration which often means spreading the damage to different parts of the enemy mech.

Edited by Redoxin, 07 February 2013 - 05:52 AM.

#49 Madwill

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 68 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:06 AM

here's one i run on occasion:

STD 335

RA- 2 LPL

CT- 2 ML

endo

dhs

this takes the AL to mean "all laser" . just protect your sword arm and look for opportunities. this is more of an assassin than a brawler. hang back and look for your chance to bury your stiletto in some mechs back.

#50 Alopias

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:21 AM

OK. Thanks for the feedback. As far as I understand it and looking at the many different configs. The Cen is only good as a "brawler" with a bigger engine. With a standard engine a "sniper" config makes more sense. Is that about right?

#51 Malsumis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 173 posts
  • LocationMA

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:30 AM

View PostRedoxin, on 07 February 2013 - 04:23 AM, said:

Good build, I like it.
But I would really use normal PPCs instead of the ER-PPCs. You still have enough close range backup weapons with this build.

I prefer the ERPPCs as I get longer range and can still hit hard in tight. The heat is almost negligible with this build and will only get better once I elite the Centurions.

#52 The Mech behind you

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • LocationGermany, Northern Baden-Württemberg

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:51 AM

I bought a CN9-AL yesterday and tried this build first:

Armor: 304P Standard
Structure: Endo
Heat Sinks: 9+4 DHS
Engine: STD 230

Weapons:
2 ML
2 LL
2 SRM4 (1t Ammo)
1 AMS (1t Ammo)

I didn't like it. The Lasers on the first 2 weapn groups and the SRMs on the third made it hard for me to use the missles when manoeuvering plus there was some fire delay on them. Now I read someone wrote in a post to not forget to open the missle doors. Uhm, might this cause the fire delay on my build? How do I open them?

I switched to this build and I'm happy with it:
Heat Sinks: 8+8 DHS
Engine: STD 215

Weapons:
3 ERLL (Caustic Valley proven)
1 AMS (1t Ammo)

Edited by Norman Kosh, 07 February 2013 - 11:51 AM.

#53 aakek

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:12 PM

I am currently using this build: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e22291676758a51

I removed my missiles to allow me to focus upon using my left side as my primary shield. The upgraded speed allows me excellent mobility. Large pulse maintains my damage at a lower heat profile than if I used PPC's (as well as reduced time on duration to maximize the damage over just using 2 LL).

PPC's are still an option if you wanted to snipe but if I was to do that I would probably thrown in an LRM. Its something to pursue later with the 'options' vs ecm to come.

View PostAlopias, on 07 February 2013 - 08:21 AM, said:

OK. Thanks for the feedback. As far as I understand it and looking at the many different configs. The Cen is only good as a "brawler" with a bigger engine. With a standard engine a "sniper" config makes more sense. Is that about right?

Basically yes.. Speed is critical for 'lighter' mechs to brawl.

#54 Malsumis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 173 posts
  • LocationMA

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:16 AM

View PostNorman Kosh, on 07 February 2013 - 11:51 AM, said:

I bought a CN9-AL yesterday and tried this build first:

Heat Sinks: 9+4 DHS
Engine: STD 230

Weapons:
2 ML
2 LL
2 SRM4 (1t Ammo)
1 AMS (1t Ammo)

I didn't like it. The Lasers on the first 2 weapn groups and the SRMs on the third made it hard for me to use the missles when manoeuvering plus there was some fire delay on them. Now I read someone wrote in a post to not forget to open the missle doors. Uhm, might this cause the fire delay on my build? How do I open them?

The firing delay you experienced was due to the missile bay doors being closed. To open the missile bay doors on any mech you simply need to push the " / " key. You should hear a "beep" and also there is an indicator light within the cockpit that changes color to let you know if the doors are open or closed. I know the colors are green and yellow but not sure which is open or closed, and being color blind I have a hard time telling the two colors apart. I wish they would change either the colors to be something like green and red or simply have the light off when the doors are closed and have the light turn on when they are open.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users