2 Simple Ways To Keep Clans From Taking Over The Game

134 replies to this topic

#121 Skadi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts
  • LocationUtgarde Pinnacle

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:43 PM

View PostGammanoob, on 04 February 2013 - 05:35 PM, said:

Yes, but why would the Clans have to be open to new players?

To me it makes more sense that you somehow have to earn your place as a Clanners, that way those who like the lore/culture/history of the Clans are happy and everyone else is as well because we don't have 50% of the game population rolling a Clan alt because it's harder.

i can see what your getting at, but i dont know... making clans "exclusive" is also a bad thing imo, depending on how they make it work it would appear as if PGI was trying to make the skilled players OP.

#122 Gammanoob

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationThe Periphery

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:49 PM

Well the skilled players would still have a disadvantage.

I think it would promote less "tech Clanners" and more "Clanners" because most people simply looking for a quick advantage wouldn't be able to handle the increased difficulty, especially in regards to numerical inferiority.

#123 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:54 PM

View PostSkadi, on 04 February 2013 - 05:34 PM, said:

I assume you know that MWLL can no longer update content patches ect?

Yes, well aware :/ Though I have also gladly read that it was an agreement between the founders of MWLL at Crytek and PGI. That it was not a C&D letter like a lot of people believe.

I still see content being made (Hell Ancient Demise and Duffanichta of the CGB-304AC still plan on making maps, and with the UK based CJW making a patch to get MWLL F2P using the Crysis Wars Trial demo I can see it still living for a while. Some of the community may grab at the code and finish some things up. Hard to say.

It is a good mod, and we are planning on incorporating MWLL in CGB unit practice. At least until they launch private matches and such in MWO.

#124 Vanguard319

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,436 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:55 PM

View PostSkadi, on 04 February 2013 - 05:28 PM, said:

When clans actualy got clan mechs the big servers were puretech, now theres 0 from what i knew, the jag server was indeed puretech, but its gone now.

If your going to tell me i need to learn how to read and comphrehend quote my ENTIRE post
You missed the "From a realistic standpoint" part of it...

from a "realistic" viewpoint, clan warriors would be better trained, since they do it the spartan way, but with the consequence of having less capacity to improve with experience due to thier conditioning (they would never consider an honorable warrior to shoot them in the back for example, honor before reason basically), an IS mechwarrior wouldn't have the same training, but they would enjoy more creative thinking in tactics with battlefield experience, since the Inner Sphere is more inclined to wage total war than the clans. Ergo, they WOULD expect a warrior to fight dirty, as they would likely do the same for the sake of tactical advantage. (reason before honor.)

I comphrehed well enough thank you.

#125 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:00 PM

Wolves on the Border. On a Glacial rift. Dragoons use the Combine dueling against them. Going in duels, winning 3/4s of them, and then suddenly running off and next thing the Draconians knew, the ice shelf explodes.

WD techs were drilling and setting charged underneath the Glacier... then... SURPRISE!

Most of the Dragoon's command staff were freeborns from Clan Space, not all, but a good number. So even though they may be conditioned from birth. They can adapt.

#126 Skadi

• 4,268 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:05 PM

View PostVanguard319, on 04 February 2013 - 05:55 PM, said:

from a "realistic" viewpoint, clan warriors would be better trained, since they do it the spartan way, but with the consequence of having less capacity to improve with experience due to thier conditioning (they would never consider an honorable warrior to shoot them in the back for example, honor before reason basically), an IS mechwarrior wouldn't have the same training, but they would enjoy more creative thinking in tactics with battlefield experience, since the Inner Sphere is more inclined to wage total war than the clans. Ergo, they WOULD expect a warrior to fight dirty, as they would likely do the same for the sake of tactical advantage. (reason before honor.)

I comphrehed well enough thank you.

I was talking about the Disaadvantageous mech tree that made no sense, why would it be worse for them when their tech is more superior.

Also i never said you couldnt comprehend, i stated you should make that comment when you didnt even quote my entire post.

#127 Vanguard319

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,436 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:28 PM

View PostCoffiNail, on 04 February 2013 - 06:00 PM, said:

Wolves on the Border. On a Glacial rift. Dragoons use the Combine dueling against them. Going in duels, winning 3/4s of them, and then suddenly running off and next thing the Draconians knew, the ice shelf explodes.

WD techs were drilling and setting charged underneath the Glacier... then... SURPRISE!

Most of the Dragoon's command staff were freeborns from Clan Space, not all, but a good number. So even though they may be conditioned from birth. They can adapt.

good point, though trueborns see themselves as better than freeborns, and thus slower to adapt through sheer arrogance.

View PostSkadi, on 04 February 2013 - 06:05 PM, said:

I was talking about the Disaadvantageous mech tree that made no sense, why would it be worse for them when their tech is more superior.

Also i never said you couldnt comprehend, i stated you should make that comment when you didnt even quote my entire post.

that is where you fail to comprehend, think about it for a moment...

The clans had a period where they enjoyed significant advances in thier mechs. Thier techs also enjoy top-notch training and are depicted at being very good at thier jobs, keeping the warriors mechs optimally maintained and battle-ready. This isn't the case in the Inner Sphere, where most mechs are still 100+ year old hand-me-downs, and where competant techs are in short supply, and high demand.

From one perspective, clan mechs are well maintained and already well tuned, so any additional tuning would not add a significant advantage, since the mech was already tuned close to the maximum limit of what the chassis would be capable of. On the other hand, IS mechs are operational, but they are not necessarily well maitained or tuned, so there is plenty of room for improvement.

When looked at from this point of view, the reduced bonuses I suggested for clan mech trees make perfect sense.

Edited by Vanguard319, 04 February 2013 - 06:28 PM.

#128 Skadi

• 4,268 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:33 PM

View PostVanguard319, on 04 February 2013 - 06:28 PM, said:

good point, though trueborns see themselves as better than freeborns, and thus slower to adapt through sheer arrogance.

that is where you fail to comprehend, think about it for a moment...

The clans had a period where they enjoyed significant advances in thier mechs. Thier techs also enjoy top-notch training and are depicted at being very good at thier jobs, keeping the warriors mechs optimally maintained and battle-ready. This isn't the case in the Inner Sphere, where most mechs are still 100+ year old hand-me-downs, and where competant techs are in short supply, and high demand.

From one perspective, clan mechs are well maintained and already well tuned, so any additional tuning would not add a significant advantage, since the mech was already tuned close to the maximum limit of what the chassis would be capable of. On the other hand, IS mechs are operational, but they are not necessarily well maitained or tuned, so there is plenty of room for improvement.

When looked at from this point of view, the reduced bonuses I suggested for clan mech trees make perfect sense.

(not a lore jokey, only know "basics")
I agree with you on those basis, before hand you make it sound more like "There tech is worse, so it should be worse"
What you just told me, imo, you should edit into your old post to make it clear.

#129 Orgasmo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:22 PM

Two IS lances vs one Clan star, in another words, 8 vs 5.

#130 J0anna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 939 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:54 AM

All those screaming about balance are forgetting a few things:

1) The mechs we have are far more powerful than standard 3050 IS mechs. In TT, you could not change IS loadouts, nor could you add in extra heatsinks, XL engines, add ammo or even add armor. The Mechs we have are far closer to omnimechs than any TT version.

2) The average maps we play on are small, so taking advantage of the longer range clan weapons will have less impact than TT.

I would expect 1 to 1 odds, but balance in BV's.

#131 Stormwolf

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:03 AM

View PostMoenrg, on 08 February 2013 - 01:54 AM, said:

All those screaming about balance are forgetting a few things:

1) The mechs we have are far more powerful than standard 3050 IS mechs. In TT, you could not change IS loadouts, nor could you add in extra heatsinks, XL engines, add ammo or even add armor. The Mechs we have are far closer to omnimechs than any TT version.

2) The average maps we play on are small, so taking advantage of the longer range clan weapons will have less impact than TT.

I would expect 1 to 1 odds, but balance in BV's.

Yeah, the IS already has pseudo-omni's with a 0 crit/ton C3 system installed.

#132 Haligonian

• Pip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 10 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:17 PM

Perhaps along with the 8v5 rules that most people seem to see as a fair "trade-off" for the superior clan tech, have clan mechs only selectable by those with completed "elite" levels in the weight category. To show they are more experienced, better bred pilots. It will help keep newer players from being on the smaller of the two dropped teams, and it will give longer playing, and experience grinding players, a bit of a congratulations. Just in recognition of their hard work playing the game.

#133 RagingOyster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 462 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, Maryland

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:44 PM

View PostDeath Mallet, on 31 January 2013 - 08:11 AM, said:

Matchmaker

Background: According to the fluff, Clan never drops with more than half the Inner Sphere resources. So just make it that way in the game.

Game Mechanic: Matchmaker will match 8 IS mechs against 4 Clan mechs for any game involving Clan tech.

Targeting

Background: Clan mechs tend to fight 1-1.

Game Mechanic: Any mech targeted via 'R' by a Clan mech cannot be targeted by any other Clan mech until the target has been broken

I like the second suggestion.

As for the first, the basic Clan organizational unit other than a "point" which is one individual) is a "Star" which contains 5 points (so 5 mechs for our purposes). Just have one Star (5 mechs) drop against the 8 IS mechs and a Binary (2 Stars, so 10 mechs) drops against 12 IS mechs.

Edit: Another idea I feel would work would be to drop Clanner Cbill rates to very, very little. Their prime concern was not money, so why not only award Clan players with a small-ish salvage bonus to represent isorla gained from battle. This way, people would be discouraged from playing as a Clanner unless the actually cared to because of lore or what have you. I also love the idea of a very expensive module introduced a while after the invasion to enable Clan tech as well as restricting Clan mech hardpoints until a similar module is unlocked that allows customization.

Edited by RagingOyster, 15 February 2013 - 06:59 PM.

#134 RagingOyster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 462 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, Maryland

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:50 PM

View PostPvt Ortiz, on 31 January 2013 - 08:42 AM, said:

2 SIMPLE WAYS TO KEEP CLANS FROM TAKING OVER THE GAME

Keep clan from ruining the game ? As far as im concerned this is a TEAM based game.... the one who are ruining the game ( if any ) are the random players that dont want to play as a team. Not the players that plays in team.

Why dont you just get in a group. Its not that hard. and not all of them require you to Role-Play.

He is not talking about "Clans" meaning teams or groups.... the Clans are a faction in the BT universe.

#135 Dragonkindred

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • 160 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:15 PM

I hate to cut and past my post from another thread, but...

This does not have to be as hard as everyone is saying.

Firstly, I would put 1 star of clan mechs against a company of Inner Sphere mechs.

Secondly, clan mechs only come in stock versions. No alterations AT ALL. (There are plenty of variants to choose from for each one). This stops OP boating.

Thirdly, all the standard game mechanics are the same for the clan players as they are now. No need to stop them focus firing, firing indirectly etc. as the first two rules should make for a good fight.

IF clan players want to use Zelbrigen, that is their choice not something to be imposed on them. As has been suggested a small bonus for doing this would not be out of the question.[color="#959595"] [/color]

The only thing that needs to be worked out is drop weight balancing, which can probably be done via an average weight system.

From this thread http://mwomercs.com/...-an-awful-idea/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users