134 replies to this topic

#81 Kylere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 690 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:25 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 31 January 2013 - 09:31 AM, said:

Remember the Crusaders forced the Wolves into the ilKhan seat trying to force them into a more aggressive stance or discredit them.

I am on book 37 re-reading them all, I have scary knowledge, so much so that it scares me. i will be glad as it fades and I can feel less geeky. Plus I converted all the books into a DB keyed by date, and I created queries for specific mech references, planets, etc. It was also interesting to read through events on Luthien in order regardless of book.

The Wolves grabbed the Ilkhan slot in part by being the most effective crusaders while actually being Wardens, BUT, that was in effect the clans setting themselves up for Tukayyid. Let's face it, if Ulric had been a LITTLE less capable it would have resulted in a completely different ending. Therefore I must insist that they beat themselves.

#82 Haligonian

• Pip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 10 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:32 PM

Right or wrong the basic principle here is many fold. The developers can't make us (the public) follow clan mindset or clan rules. there will still be pack hunting, 2+ mechs vs one, and they will be doing it with superior technology.
As a free player I like to hop on, grind the xp for a couple hours and occasionally I get my bottom handed to me match after match because I'm not in a clan, league or even a common group of friends.
If the games are going to be "balanced" by instituting a 5v8 or 8v12 you'd also have to figure out who is going to which side. I'm happy to run my IS Hunchie or my craptacular little Commando, but if I start getting pack hunted by superior Clan tech I'd be forced to hang it up, especially if those clanners are all P2W players.
Figuring out a reason why people should WANT to stay with the Inner Sphere when the shiny new clan stuff shows up should be the big question.

#83 Cerlin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 922 posts
  • LocationCalifornia or Japan

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:48 PM

I predict that clan mechs will be the single biggest economic stimuli for PGI since the founders program.

#84 SI The Joker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 728 posts
  • LocationBehind you!

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:50 PM

1. Shoot them with lasers.

2. Shoot them with ballistics.

#85 N0MAD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:45 PM

MC for Mechs is just plain silly. IF the Devs make it perfectly CLEAR to players especially new players that playing as a Clan will mean ALWAYS been in say an 8v5, 5 been the Clan i would imagine only hardcore Clansmen will take up that challenge. Zell has many interpretations as to who and when it came into play and in all honesty it would be hard to implement an enforce ( you can shoot at a mech if its not targeted) also an IS pilot when targetd could run away efectively taking out a clan pilot from the fight so Zell i beleive is not an option. How the Clan pilot is rewarded will be interesting as they dont get paid so it seems reasonable that a Kills or damage system would be reasonable to assume. Boating has been the Bane of so many games and here common sense by the Devs even if it means deviating from cannon slightly would balance games. Mechs Sporting Large numbers of one particular weapon type should not be included, yes not cannon but a step that would help balance the game should be considered.

#86 Wales Grey

Dark Clown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 861 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Frigid North

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:45 PM

posting in a redundant thread

#87 dario03

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:19 PM

I wonder how much rage there would be on these forums if PGI announced something like

Clans are all about personal glory and thus avoid indirect and focus fire. Therefore there will be no pre-mades allowed in the clans, solo drops only.

Think that would get more rage than ECM? I mean it would be some what of a balance and it would even "nerf teamwork" like I keep seeing people say :mellow:

View PostN0MAD, on 31 January 2013 - 01:45 PM, said:

MC for Mechs is just plain silly. IF the Devs make it perfectly CLEAR to players especially new players that playing as a Clan will mean ALWAYS been in say an 8v5, 5 been the Clan i would imagine only hardcore Clansmen will take up that challenge. Zell has many interpretations as to who and when it came into play and in all honesty it would be hard to implement an enforce ( you can shoot at a mech if its not targeted) also an IS pilot when targetd could run away efectively taking out a clan pilot from the fight so Zell i beleive is not an option. How the Clan pilot is rewarded will be interesting as they dont get paid so it seems reasonable that a Kills or damage system would be reasonable to assume. Boating has been the Bane of so many games and here common sense by the Devs even if it means deviating from cannon slightly would balance games. Mechs Sporting Large numbers of one particular weapon type should not be included, yes not cannon but a step that would help balance the game should be considered.

I just don't see the 8v5 being much of a deterrent from wanting to have the much better mech. If you pug then you never know if you can count on your teammates anyways or maybe you really like running off by yourself so that better mech for you is a plus. And a lot of premades don't run in 8 mans but instead do 4 mans so you won't be cutting down their team size.

Edited by dario03, 31 January 2013 - 02:25 PM.

#88 Seijin Dinger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 259 posts
  • LocationEdmonds, WA

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:00 AM

I was saying we need pink mechs over teamspeak months ago.

Let us bronies have our pink mechs

#89 Skylarr

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,646 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationThe Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:11 AM

View PostSkylarr, on 02 February 2013 - 07:55 AM, said:

Dev Blog 1 - Community Warfare

Faction Warfare

The Inner Sphere is broken up into several factions, each with their own regions and sub-regions. Each faction is warring with at least one other faction at all times in a universal territory battle. Players can be active or passive participants in this battle by following one of three paths:
  • Pledging Allegiance to a Faction
  • Joining a Mercenary Corporation
  • Remaining Neutral
At its core, the territory battle is a fight for resources – planets. Planets are divided into three types. Each type requires a more active level of participation by the player and as a result earns a greater reward.
  • Core Worlds – Are managed by the dev team. These are worlds that necessary for future planning and part of major historical events.
  • Faction Worlds – Are fought over by Faction players. These planets buffer core and border worlds, and do not play a significant role in major historical events. Rewards for controlling these planets are directly linked to global bonuses and abilities associated with a player’s Faction.
  • Border Worlds – Are fought over via a contract bidding system by player run Mercenary Corporations. These planets change hands on a regular basis, and have no impact on historical events. Rewards for controlling a boarder world are significant and go directly to the occupying Merc Corp.
It’s important to state now, that worlds can change from Border to Faction to Core, or any combination thereof, at any time by the development team. This will be necessary to facilitate dramatic changes in faction territory control as we progress through some tumultuous times within the BattleTech® universe.

Faction Worlds

The battle for control over faction planets is a simple war of attrition. The faction with the most influence over a particular planet occupies it. By virtue of simply competing in online matches, faction players contribute influence points to target planets.
Border Worlds

Mercenary Corporations can bid and fight for occupation rights of border worlds throughout the Inner Sphere. Merc Corps must bid on a planet’s occupation rights via a system of contracts generated by the game.
A match or series of matches are set up between the defending Merc Corp and the challenger. The victor is determined from the results of each match, and takes control of the planet. They are rewarded with an immediate contract payout, and will continue to earn rewards while they occupy the planet.

If a Factions is only fighting another Factions, and Mercs are only fighting against another Mercs, would this not mean that Clanners are only fighting Clanners?

http://mwomercs.com/...-developer-qa-2

#90 Wales Grey

Dark Clown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 861 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Frigid North

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:41 AM

The way to keep clan stuff from 'taking over the game' is simple:
1. Don't include the Clans
2. If you include the Clans, make them a non-player faction
3. If you include the Clans, make repairing their equipment cost either MC or a lot of rare resources, perhaps from CW holdings.
4. Don't make everyone able to purchase Clantech

#91 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:38 AM

View PostWales Grey, on 04 February 2013 - 09:41 AM, said:

The way to keep clan stuff from 'taking over the game' is simple:
1. Don't include the Clans
Bad buisness move, considering atleast 1/4 of the BT population are Clan fans.
2. If you include the Clans, make them a non-player faction
This would be A LOT more coding on their part and a waste on new maps, tech and Mechs. So this is a rather idiotic way to do it. Again, 1/4 of the BT population prefers Clan
3. If you include the Clans, make repairing their equipment cost either MC or a lot of rare resources, perhaps from CW holdings.
I would say, If the IS does not have repair costs associated again at that point, that regardless Clan Mechs take A LOT more to repair and refit. I personally loved repair and refit in the game, and still am rather upset with it being removed
4. Don't make everyone able to purchase Clantech
Purchase a MC based Clan access, 5,000 MC to be able to play as Clans? I would shell out the rough 10 dollars to unlock them. I would spend more to unlock them as well.

To add, if the Clans were not playable, I could see a huge chunk of my Clan getting up and going to play MWLL.

#92 qultar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:11 PM

by setting the game in 3050 they made the clans a must
if they did not want clans they game they needed to set it in 3025
but doing this sets up that some players mite not play

#93 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:53 PM

View Postqultar, on 04 February 2013 - 02:11 PM, said:

by setting the game in 3050 they made the clans a must
if they did not want clans they game they needed to set it in 3025
but doing this sets up that some players mite not play

TBH Q, if they set it up as 3025, 3039 from the get go... I would have played it. I would have been upset that no Clans at the time, but there are a lot of IS Mechs for them to develop in to the game. IS Mechs are a hell of a lot of fun too. Playing MechWarrior is why I am here.

#94 Erasus Magnus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 383 posts
  • LocationUnited States Of Mind

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:07 PM

View PostOlivia Maybach, on 31 January 2013 - 08:33 AM, said:

I'm a personal fan of the 2vs1 (or 3 vs 2, dunno) strategy. Clan teams fight at a numerical disadvantage. The one-on-one targetting thing would be crippling, I think, and very confusing.

it wouldnt. if you have 8 is mechs versus 4 clan mechs there are 2 is mechs for every clan mech. if those 2 is mechs shoot at the same target at the same time the rule is broken and itbecomes a free for all. so clanners can focus fire their is counterparts.

to have this rule in effect for the whole fight, it would be necessary for half of the is mechs to stay behind until the clanners have finished the first 4 isers.
that would be dumb.
and pretty difficult to pull off in PUGs.

and if the isers choose to break the rule, clanners tend to go berzerk and concentrate their fire on one mech at a time. which is why the is got their ***** handed to them in the early battles of the clan invasion.

regarding mixtech: in TT rulesets it was INCREDIBLY difficult to get clan tech working in IS chassis. the fitting process has a high percentage of failing or not to deliver optimal results. and if i recall correctly, it was expensive as hell. like, ridicoulusly expensive!

please correct me if im wrong here. its been awhile since my last tt match.

Edited by Erasus Magnus, 04 February 2013 - 03:20 PM.

#95 HarmAssassin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationMadison, WI, USA

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:25 PM

This whole thread is pointless.

Clans won't ruin the game, they'll simply put it in as a new faction and tech will be available to all. This is an online multiplayer game - that's the only way they can do it.

Look at every large multiplayer shooter or sim shooter game out there. Even when one team is playing the supposedly tech advanced side, weapons on both sides are still balanced to be almost identical so no team gets an inherent advantage. This game will be no different.

Besides, never did like the clan mechs anyway... Inner Sphere mechs at least had personality. Though I can't wait to start calling clan mechs by their IS names and watch all the clan role-players go livid in chat... While they type their rants, I'll be destroying their mechs.

Edited by HarmAssassin, 04 February 2013 - 03:29 PM.

#96 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:03 PM

reset the timeline to 2767 and have Kerensky kill Amaris.

That or just reset the game to 3025 and only have Wolf's Dragoons to worry about.

The basic Clan fighting force is the Star - typically 5 battlemechs, but the concept extends to other forces of arms, They will be found in points comprising binaries or trinaries - keep that in mind. They use Light, Medium, Heavy and Assault Stars. Look it up, mates. (Dig this, an Elemental Star is 25 battlearmours!!)

Edited by Gremlich Johns, 04 February 2013 - 04:08 PM.

#97 Vanguard319

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,436 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:22 PM

a couple ideas:

1. make clan tech rare and expensive (at least 50% more expensive than similar lostech weapons), Omnimechs in particular will be crazy expensive compared to an IS mech of similar weight.

2. clanners recieve less xp/c-bills for fighting in clan mechs, (5~10% less than normal) however, allow clanners to earn additional xp/c-bills by adhering to rules of Zellbrigen.

3. keep existing xp values for mech trees, making clan tree progression slower than IS tree progression.

#98 IceSerpent

• 3,044 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:41 PM

View PostVanguard319, on 04 February 2013 - 04:22 PM, said:

a couple ideas:

1. make clan tech rare and expensive (at least 50% more expensive than similar lostech weapons), Omnimechs in particular will be crazy expensive compared to an IS mech of similar weight.

2. clanners recieve less xp/c-bills for fighting in clan mechs, (5~10% less than normal) however, allow clanners to earn additional xp/c-bills by adhering to rules of Zellbrigen.

3. keep existing xp values for mech trees, making clan tree progression slower than IS tree progression.

1 and 3 are blatant P2W. Not sure what the intended purpose of #2 is - Zellbrigen has a provision stating that as soon as one side violates it (which will likely happen as soon as 2 IS pilots get LOS on a single Clan mech), all bets are off.

#99 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:48 PM

I get tired of having to suggest this.

Why does everyone just assume that once Zell is violated that it really breaks in to a free for all...

They ARE dezgra now, but there is still honour in taking out your opponent by yourself.

Remember, these warriors are trained from birth to fight with Zellbrigen. To just just ignore your upbrining and go all out would be a hard thing to imagine. I have always seen that even if zell has been broken the warriors still semi fight duels, it is how they are raised to fight. Honourably, one on one.

This is purely my opinion as a Clan fanatic though. The novels seem to have seldom Zell though, so who knows.

I always looked at it like, Zell is broken, you still try to take out that mech by yourself, but there is no longer a loss of honour to ask for assistance, or for two lights to share the honour of taking down a assault mech then.

#100 Skadi

• 4,268 posts
  • LocationUtgarde Pinnacle

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:57 PM

Issues with this:
IS mechs gain ability to equip clan weapons
8 Atlai with all Clan weapons VS 4 Masakari's with Clan weapons

Tell me who do you think will win?

16 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 16 guests, 0 anonymous users