95 replies to this topic

#41 DocBach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:22 PM

Honored someone would make their first post on the forums ever to support my ideas.

#42 roflplanes

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 83 posts
  • LocationColumbus, OH

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:48 PM

View PostOrzorn, on 01 February 2013 - 10:52 AM, said:

The ONLY way I'd be fine with that is if they removed the stupid fact that ECM counters TAG in its bubble. That way, if you had TAG, your SSRMs could still be locked and fired even while within the 180 meter bubble w/ the module.

This, I actually like quite a bit. Since you have to keep the target tagged the WHOLE TIME you're acquiring your missile lock for your SSRMs, this fix actually does not increase the SSRM danger to the (often Light) ECM carrier itself. However, all of his big, slow friends inside that bubble are now vulnerable to both outside LRM strikes AND SSRM attacks.

The counter here is that your TAGing unit is with 180m; well within the firing range of every single weapon system that every single of his opponents inside that bubble are carrying.

Maybe I'm missing something, but it makes sense in my head.

#43 DocBach

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:39 PM

Well, traditionally, Streaks are unaffected by TAG. Honestly, I'm really not sure on the rationale and thinking behind using a guidance laser as some kind of probe that can determine the load out and condition of a 'Mech. The inclusion of TAG to get targeting data through ECM seems like another knee jerk fix by PGI, and a really terrible mechanic to try to fix their really terrible ECM mechanic.

#44 LionOne

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:35 PM

This would be a good way to rebalance the game w.ECM. I hope the devs read it.

#45 StalaggtIKE

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 2,304 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:45 PM

Bump!
If you're on Reddit give it an upvote: Balancing ECM With Modules - This post needs more views!

Edited by StalaggtIKE, 02 February 2013 - 04:38 PM.

#46 DocBach

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:46 PM

I'm not on reddit, link just takes me back here.

Edited by DocBach, 02 February 2013 - 03:46 PM.

#47 Voidsinger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationAstral Space

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:25 PM

I like this a lot.

Many of the mechs with ECM were also meant to do recon work. They are not doing so, having become Strike Boats or Cloaking Devices.

Many people have failed to note, that along with having the most missile slots, the "chosen" ECM mechs also have the most module slots. This forces them to choose between ECM capabilities, or having all the extra goodness modules provides.

I still favour opening ECM up to all mechs. PGI said it would be unbalancing, and then proceeded to place ECM on the mechs in their class that would be most unbalancing. Their "Counters" aren't readily available to some mechs without sacrifices of firepower (Centurion with TAG, -50% Energy Hardpoints, cannot carry a PPC).

The other thing I feel that needs to be looked at is the role of ECM in PUG, versus ECM in premades. One is a team based environment, the other is an improvise as you go environment. ECM's current system is designed for premades and seriously messes with PUGs.

#48 StalaggtIKE

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 2,304 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:38 PM

View PostDocBach, on 02 February 2013 - 03:46 PM, said:

I'm not on reddit, link just takes me back here.

Thanks. I fixed the link.

#49 DocBach

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:37 PM

Hmmm - responses on reddit make it seem that people there don't like ECM very much. "don't fix ECM, GET IT OUT OF THE GAME"

#50 Merrik Starchaser

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 239 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:06 PM

Best post on the subject so far PGI take notes please

#51 StalaggtIKE

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 2,304 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:06 PM

View PostDocBach, on 02 February 2013 - 05:37 PM, said:

Hmmm - responses on reddit make it seem that people there don't like ECM very much. "don't fix ECM, GET IT OUT OF THE GAME"

You're having better luck than me. I had posted some suggestions on ECM a while back and got bum rushed with ECM fanbois.

#52 DocBach

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:35 PM

View PostStalaggtIKE, on 02 February 2013 - 07:06 PM, said:

You're having better luck than me. I had posted some suggestions on ECM a while back and got bum rushed with ECM fanbois.

Been a pretty positive response, maybe the trolls come out at night, though.

#53 Caleb Lee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:44 PM

View PostThorstine, on 01 February 2013 - 10:03 AM, said:

First, I do like the modules idea for BAP and ECM. However, I think everyone that keeps pointing to TT rules needs to stop. PGI is not listening to any arguments that involve TT rules as they have already broken them. PGI does need to figure out how to re-balance all the equipment if they have not already done so. It would be nice if they posted what they have on the drawing board so we as the players could at least understand where they are going with the balancing issues.

Wrong, I think the OP makes clear that ECM enjoys benefits that no other upgrade currently does. I.E. BAP had features stripped out of it that were replaced as modules. Hence as it was supposed to counter ECM to some extent so should ECM require Modules for many of it's benefits as well.

#54 TwigTech

• PipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • 80 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:40 AM

I love this idea, it really does make modules worthwhile and helps keep ECM a little more in-check. Here's hoping PGI notices it!

#55 DocBach

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:55 AM

View PostCaleb Lee, on 02 February 2013 - 10:44 PM, said:

Wrong, I think the OP makes clear that ECM enjoys benefits that no other upgrade currently does. I.E. BAP had features stripped out of it that were replaced as modules. Hence as it was supposed to counter ECM to some extent so should ECM require Modules for many of it's benefits as well.

Well, Beagle really wasn't meant to counter ECM, in fact it's almost completely the other way around. But most of the features it should have (with the exception of the best one, which is radar that "saw" through obstructions like terrain and buildings) given to modules.

Narc seems to have had some of its function given to modules as well - protection from target decay is a real time way to simulate the rule Narc has where it can allow a 'Mech to fire at a target indirectly without line of sight or a spotter if the target has been marked with a beacon.

All of these other electronic warfare components are split into modules that don't even require the system they were taken from to equip, but ECM has everything it should and more. It just seems like a weird decision that ECM not only has all it had in the basic rules, plus everything it has from the advanced rules, plus functions that seem to be inspired by the fluff from sarna.net.

Edited by DocBach, 03 February 2013 - 01:07 AM.

#56 p4p3rth1n

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:26 AM

I don't always post on the forums.

But when I do, it is to bump a great thread.

Stay classy my friends.

#57 Lonrem

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:27 PM

Bump this, for so much win.

#58 DocBach

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:15 PM

Great honor to have so many posters who rarely post come in and comment - like Garth said, when someone with a couple posts getting behind something is more significant than someone with thousands.

#59 Sam Slade

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,370 posts
  • LocationMega city 1

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:05 PM

this is the right way to do ECM.... WAY better

#60 Taizan

Com Guard

• 1,692 posts
  • LocationGalatea (NRW)

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:21 PM

This topic was moved to the suggestions sub forum, where it is more appropriate.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users