How Does The Awesome Compare To The Other Assaults?

74 replies to this topic

Poll: Rate the Awesome (194 member(s) have cast votes)

The Awesome is ....

1. Voted Awesome (66 votes [28.95%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 28.95%

2. Id rather drive a Stalker or Atlas (98 votes [42.98%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 42.98%

3. *laugh* You are going to spend money on the Pretty Baby? (64 votes [28.07%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 28.07%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 Eximar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • LocationStill living in 3025

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:38 PM

The Awesome still needs to be about 5-7% smaller on all axes and the Stalker needs to be about 5-7% bigger on all axes.

Down the road, when serious matchmaking comes into play, the Awesome will come into it's own, as tonnage will matter more than weight class.

I ran all the Awesome's through most of closed Beta, and enjoyed them, but just can't bring myself to use them since the Stalker came out (hate that bipedal zeppelin).

#62 Zoccola

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 50 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:53 AM

This coming patch Large ER/Pulse lasers as well as PPCs will have their heat generation adjusted. Additionally, each mech will be gaining "quirks".

http://mwomercs.com/...eveloper-update

"These quirks come in the form small adjustments to rotation, movement, and other mech stats. Each variant will now feel a little different."

I am very interested in learning more details about these quirks and the heat generation.

#63 Splinters

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 268 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:53 AM

The Awesome was gimped by 2 major changes in MWO:

#1) DHS are not true DHS as compared to previous MW games and TT.
#2) The limited the engine size removing one of the distinguishing features of the Awesome, a mobile assault mech.

Otherwise it becomes an armor and weapons tonnage fight which the Awesome will lose to the Stalker and Atlas on. The only other way to make the awesome viable would be if the cost was lower in purchase and maintenance, but since R&R is free, the Awesome really doesn't have a lot of bonus' going for it currently. Hopefully some of the tweaks to LPL, PPC's, and ER's will help this chassis out more.

-S

#64 FerretGR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:00 PM

After today's patch, AWS is OP! You heard it here first folks! :)

#65 Z0MBIE Y0SHI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:01 PM

View PostFerretGR, on 05 February 2013 - 12:00 PM, said:

After today's patch, AWS is OP! You heard it here first folks! :)

Lol, don't know about that, though these changes make me happy. I might buy back my Awesomes now.

#66 xRatas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 514 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:06 PM

I like my awesomes. It's been one of my favorite mechs for a long time, as I can't have my Warhammer.

As I've really wanted to drive Awesome, there was no other solution than to drive and learn. Nowdays, I do not consider being underdog when meeting a Stalker or Atlas. And as all my Awesomes were PPC boats already, I'm itching to drive them right after this patch...

#67 Kell Draygo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 884 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:06 PM

The Awesome would be Awesome is there was no Mechlab and they adjusted the way heat works in game to match TT heat system.

#68 Grumbling Coot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 124 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:25 PM

View PostxRatas, on 05 February 2013 - 12:06 PM, said:

I like my awesomes. It's been one of my favorite mechs for a long time, as I can't have my Warhammer.

As I've really wanted to drive Awesome, there was no other solution than to drive and learn. Nowdays, I do not consider being underdog when meeting a Stalker or Atlas. And as all my Awesomes were PPC boats already, I'm itching to drive them right after this patch...

Agree with this completely.

I've been running a 9M before this patch almost at stock (just dropped the pulses for more armor, engine and 1 more DHS) and I have yet to meet an Atlas or Stalker that I couldn't PPC into the ground from 1000m off. It's formidable even at closer ranges as long as you're patient and manage your heat.

Can't wait to see what the new balances will do. :)

#69 Craftyman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:28 AM

View PostFerretGR, on 05 February 2013 - 12:00 PM, said:

After today's patch, AWS is OP! You heard it here first folks! :(

it's a bit better, but still far from good. Hope to see some more hot quirks for it.

Edited by Craftyman, 06 February 2013 - 02:28 AM.

#70 Mazzyplz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:52 PM

this patch has done wonders, shutdown bug is gone, PPC is actually usable!!! HALLELUJAH!!!!!!!

ps. pretty baby looks to be doing OK in the hands of capable pilots, given some support

Edited by Mazzyplz, 06 February 2013 - 11:55 PM.

#71 Ialti

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:10 AM

ehh... got three elites, decided to master them. They're fun, and I like the challenge of 'trying to keep up' with other players and consistently 'keeping up.'

edited to say: none of my awesomes are 9M. And after all the hype I don't think I'll buy one. Or a PB.

Edited by Ialti, 07 February 2013 - 12:11 AM.

#72 GalaxyBluestar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,748 posts
  • Location...

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:26 AM

yep this post opened before the recent patch.

now i have to agree awesomes can work the field as well as the other assaults.

GREAT JOB DEVS KEEP AT IT!

#73 Brilig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 667 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:45 AM

Wish they had more torso armor, or weren't quite so wide. They still seem too easy to take down.

#74 RowanE83

• PipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 55 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:18 AM

They are expensive to buy, expensive to fit out, and difficult to use.

If you play it well, you can get performance out of an Awesome you would expect from a mech of its weight and class.

The trouble is, its so much easier to get full value out of say a stalker or cataphract, which are much more forgiving chasis.

The further trouble is, everyone knows a poorly piloted (i.e. most) Awesome is an easy kill. So no matter what you get picked on. Also, your own team istends to assume you role is to inflict no damage, get in the way a bit, then blow up. So you tend not to get much support from your own team.

Despite all that and perhaps because of it, it can still be a fun class to play. Its viable, but challenging to find the right mix and style to get results. If that challenge is what you enjoy about mwo, you might not be able to put the awesome down, in spite of yourself.

25 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 25 guests, 0 anonymous users