Your Favorite Dragon Loadouts

52 replies to this topic

#1 malibu43

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:34 PM

I know I'm not posting anything ground breaking, but I just finished unlocking elite in the Dragons and I thought I could share my most effective loadouts for the different variants.

Disclaimer: I have 2X basic efficiencies on all of them and elite on the 1C, so my heat/heatsinks may or may not work for others without basic/elite unlocked. Some of these loadouts were developed before any of that was unlocked so they may work with a "fresh" dragon.

AC5, Large Lasers, Medium Lasers, and SRM6. By far the loadout I had the most success with.
DRG-1C

Same as above with a UAC5 instead.
DRG-1C

Dropped in an ERPPC for some fun
DRG-1C

Really the only 1N loadout I had any success with (2x AC5, 2x SRM4, 2x ML)
DRG-1N

and the 5N. UAC5, 2x MGs, SRM6, 2x MPL. This one might be a little more useful once MG's get a buff...
DRG-5N

I never added DHS to the 1N because I didn't see a huge benefit from it and didn't want to waste the CB. I didn't add ES or DHS to the 5N for the same reasons.

Thoughts, feedback, comments welcome! Or share your own!

PS - I know there might already be a thread similar to this one, but a quick search didn't find it. Sorry if it was a search fail on my part.

Edited by malibu43, 01 February 2013 - 04:37 PM.

#2 BlackSquirrel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 873 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:40 PM

You can fit a UAC/5 and AC 5 which makes for a good time... You must have an XL and other weight savers in though to boost armor and amount of ammo.

#3 One Medic Army

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:28 PM

I've got a 1C, a 1N, and a Flame all of which I like.
All with 350XL engines.

1C is 2x PPC in torso, 2x ML in arm, SRM6 in CT.
1N is 2x SRM4 in CT, 2x ML, LBX
Flame is 4x ML, LBX, SRM6

The 1C is the most fun to play really, the ability to move over 100kph while mounting two high torso mounted PPCs is quite fun for midrange brawling and decent for sniping.

Edited by One Medic Army, 01 February 2013 - 08:29 PM.

#4 slayerkdm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 395 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:26 PM

My 1n is the same as Medics, though I prefer it over the 1c. I use it as a brawler (all it can do really, no range to speak of). Its my favorite mech by quite a bit now.

I dont like AC5's for the way I play Dragons.

#5 Abulafia

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:23 AM

I use a build like One Medic Army's on my 1C, except I use an XL300, 2 PPCs, and 2 large lasers. It's my favorite. A little slower, but still fast enough to stay at medium range. http://mwo.smurfy-ne...31d64b68a7749f7

I used to hate my 1N, but I found an unusual build I really like: XL350, 2 SRM4s, an ER PPC, and a large pulse laser. It's a great backstabber, it's fast enough to hunt (or at least discourage) lights with the LPL, and the ER PPC lets it contribute to a ranged fight. Heat is manageable, but for a cooler build swap out the LPL for a LL + 2 DHS, or the XL350 for an XL340, or put FF on it. http://mwo.smurfy-ne...645fde26dc70081

#6 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:58 AM

Out of the two I've gotten a chance to pilot so far (1N, Flame), my favorite is the Flame, using the 4ML/LBX/SRM6 configuration. Or the larval form thereof, anyways. It flows so well into the slashing strafe attacks Dragons are built for, and it's just fun to pilot.

I like my 1N, but I have yet to come up with a configuration that lights my fire for it. Logic dictates a shorter-ranged one since the ability to run paired SRM4s/SSRM2s (if ECM ever gets whacked) is what sets the 1N apart, but fudge me if I'm not thinking awfully hard on going the Grand Dragon route myself and finding a PPC or two. Extra missile hardpoint or not, the 1N just isn't as good at slashing runs as Flame is, though I'll admit that Abu's build just above is awfully tempting.

Heh...though, Abu, did you realize that you actually have enough critical slots on that build to take ferro armor, and thus free up enough tonnage to pack in one more DHS and three more points of armor on each leg? Heck, drop a ton of SRM ammo if you're comfortable with with it and you'd still have the critical slots to get a second additional DHS in there.

Edited by 1453 R, 02 February 2013 - 08:00 AM.

#7 Abulafia

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:46 AM

View Post1453 R, on 02 February 2013 - 07:58 AM, said:

Heh...though, Abu, did you realize that you actually have enough critical slots on that build to take ferro armor, and thus free up enough tonnage to pack in one more DHS and three more points of armor on each leg? Heck, drop a ton of SRM ammo if you're comfortable with with it and you'd still have the critical slots to get a second additional DHS in there.

You know, I've been thinking hard about that. The only thing holding me back is the idea of having to pay to go back to standard if I want to try out another build. But...I might do it anyway, because damned if I can find anything better to do with a 1N.

#8 JohnoBurr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 294 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:34 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...676e6b916d13949

I have quite a bit of fun chasing lights that think they can get away from me.

#9 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:39 PM

I can't help but look at that and think "That has got to be the single fattest Jenner I've ever seen."

Certainly an interesting idea though, if a bit over-dependent on easily destroyed arm weapons for me. Can't fault it as a light hunter, and I imagine it ****** people off with alpha backstabs.

#10 Jaded Jasper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:16 AM

These are my favorites:

FLAME 350XL, Gauss, 4xML

DRG-1C 325XL, UAC, 4xML, SRM6

DRG-1N 300 XL, UAC, AC2, 2xML, SRM6

Edited by Jaded Jasper, 04 February 2013 - 12:18 AM.

#11 Whoola

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:24 AM

DRG-1N
lbx10
srm 2 and 4(i havent bought a srm 6)
2 ml
dhs
ff armor
endo steele
std 300

Edited by Whoola, 06 February 2013 - 05:25 AM.

#12 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:27 AM

You can replace the SRM-2 with another SRM-4 to get two more tubes over an SRM-6 for the same critical space on a 1N. Effectively, you get an SRM-8. It's one of the standout features of the 1N variant compared to the other Dragons, be a shame not to make use of it for a close-range 'Mech.

#13 Mavairo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:42 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...fc6b4ba149d7761

My 5n.
2 LLs, 1 AC10
1 Crotch Rocket (SRM6)
XL 300

People rag on the 5N. Those people just don't know how to work the arms. Once you get the arms working, the precision fire capability of the mech becomes completely insane, even while on the move.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c6968a16e4f9475 My 1n.

My 1C is pretty much full armor. It has an XL360, DHS. SRM6, 2 LLs, 2 MLs, endo steel and DHS. 106.9 kph is pretty nice with the weapons cranking.

#14 VanillaStarfish

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:56 AM

<a href="http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=56&l=368127d6ae1a3bcda5961aa21847d884c9b8f9dc">FLAME</a>

my best build is very similar to others

Flame:
XL 360
Gauss rifle + 2 tons ammo
4 medium lasers
1 ssrm 2 + 1 ton ammo
10 double heat sink (only in engine)
Endo steel
not full armor on arms and legs.

The fact that your side torso never get hit make it perfect for Gauss rifle, also Gauss has almost no heat which fit this only 10 DHS perfectly. Ssrm2 is the icing for non-ecm mech, it help a lot while chasing them.

#15 Jeremiah Battleborn

Rookie

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:36 AM

My current setup TROGDOR on a 1C:

1x U/AC5
2x ERLargeLaser
1xMedium Pulse
XL 340 Engine
DHS+Endo Steel

I love it, I can suppress a mech or two that doesn't feel like getting hammered by the U/AC 5 or ER Large Lasers. And at 101kph with the speed tweak, I can easily elcipse many or keep pace with the many mediums and slow lights out there, but in a heavy. The dragon is great for Parthian tactics of hit and run. Only thing I'm not found of is the medium pulse, though it acts as an intermediary/backup when my other two weapon systems don't fit. Your thoughts?

#16 malibu43

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:45 AM

OK. I tried the triple AC2 build once and it seemed worthless. However, I decided to switch my 5N to DHS and thought it might be worth another try.

3x AC2 with 3 tons ammo, 2x ML, SRM4.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...759357444584bea

I only played a couple of matches with it, but I really like the AC2's in group fire. It's more powerful than an AC5 with a much shorter cool down time. It seems to do a pretty good job against slow or stationary targets. I'll have to get some more rounds in to see if heat becomes an issue...

#17 De La Fresniere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:00 PM

XL 300, 4xLL, 19 DHS, 400 armor.

Can't find anything anywhere as good.

#18 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:52 PM

The only Dragons I still own are the Flame and the Fang, both of which are really fun to play.

Flame
XL360 (106.9 kph!)
4 ML
LB10-X
SRM6

I group the LB10-X and SRM6 to fire at the same time. Great for drive bys. Totally wrecks rear armor and side torsos.

Fang
XL350
3 ML
Gauss
SRM6

Kind of my mobile sniper platform. The gauss just wrecks stuff at all ranges. The MLs and SRM6 are for clean up.

#19 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:11 PM

I find it interesting that for every Fang I see on the battlefield, I generally see between four and seven Flames. Including mine. Guess those arm-mounted energy hardpoints are a big deal. I didn't even know what the Fang did until I went and Smurfy'd it just now. Heh, ironically Fang reminds me more of a 1C than Flame does. Not a bad 'Mech...but I'm glad I went with the Flame when I had the money for only one.

I will admit that both the 1C and the Fang are better choices for Gaussmonkeys, though. I am oddly reticent to put a 20-damage internal explosion waiting to happen six inches away from that big, juicy slab of XL bacon in the Flame's torso-mounted hardpoint. Makes a lot more sense in the Flame or the 1C (or any other Dragon, really).

#20 kevin roshak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 304 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:09 PM

I am working on this build and I think it will do well, especially when/if the LBX can fire both types of ammo and the cluster ammo gains crit seeker.
for now make it a regular AC10 and drop the extra ton of LBX ammo

DRG-1C - unnamed

Edited by kevin roshak, 12 February 2013 - 04:10 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users