Mech Sizes Not Proportional?

138 replies to this topic

Poll: Are the mechs height proportional compared to other mech games? (473 member(s) have cast votes)

Do the mech heights seem correct?

1. Voted NO (322 votes [68.08%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 68.08%

2. Voted YES (73 votes [15.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.43%

3. Undecided, further investigation required (78 votes [16.49%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.49%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 CwStrife

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 255 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:09 AM

So me and my buddy had this discussion today. After looking it up, it seems as if an atlas is supposed to be 15.9 meters tall.

Thats about 50-52ft give or take a few inches.

Now a a standard commercial building will be 10 feet tall on average per floor, making the Atlas about 5 stories tall...

If anyone has noticed in the snow map with the buildings, any mech can hide behind a building about 2 stories tall! That's 20 feet!?

I don't know if this has bothered anyone, but I feel like compared to Mechwarrior 3 and 4 that these mechs feel small. They seem just too unproportional.

Also, if anyone has noticed the crashed airplane... an 747 is about 60 feet tall at the top of it's tail with landing gear down on the runway so lets say more like 50 without since the tail piece is kind of unimportant here. The interior cabin space is less than 30 feet...

.....but somehow the crashed airplane with ATLAS mechs in it seems hold them perfectly...

which further proves the inconsistency here.

I love the game but i'd like to know how everyone feels on how real this game feels? The height is just off... An atlas should not be able to hide behind a 2 story building... Even if the buildings were 20 feet per story, the atlas still shouldn't be able to hide behind them....

the ravens feel like they are people running around also.. I'm a huge fan on the Mechwarrior franchise and have played every game since Mechwarrior 2.

How does everyone feel?

AND lets keep it civilized!

#2 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:33 AM

Seem ok relative to each other and the environment. I don't pay that much attention to the windows in the buildings I guess.

#3 LoneUnknown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:22 AM

Yea I have noticed this. Scale is entirely off. It is like the game world is built to mech scale, instead of mechs being towering bohemoths stomping around a human sized world.

This makes things a little too congested, and I constantly find myself studying objects in the terrain and feeling that they are "off"

Watch some videos of Mechwarrior Living Legends, maps seem more open and more realistic in scale. Probably because you can actually run around in power armor, they had to design things from that perspective, (one of those really cool things that mechassault did too, if you remember) rather then building the maps from the ground up by the mech perspective.

#4 Evil Acrylic

Rookie

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:28 AM

Not just they look off the collision boxes are off..
The Cat is about the Widest mech not that it should be and it can get though any gap on River City yet the stalker is "Less Fat" and cannot fit though the same gaps.

#5 ZLObarik

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationUkraine, Cherkassy

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:40 AM

View PostEvil Acrylic, on 03 February 2013 - 04:28 AM, said:

Not just they look off the collision boxes are off..
The Cat is about the Widest mech not that it should be and it can get though any gap on River City yet the stalker is "Less Fat" and cannot fit though the same gaps.

Argreed. Awesome is also too wide comparing to the origin. Smbd noticed that?

#6 Bloody Moon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:50 AM

View PostCwStrife, on 03 February 2013 - 03:09 AM, said:

Also, if anyone has noticed the crashed airplane... an 747 is about 60 feet tall at the top of it's tail with landing gear down on the runway so lets say more like 50 without since the tail piece is kind of unimportant here. The interior cabin space is less than 30 feet...

That "airplane" you are referring to is a small Dropship which was made to carry mechs from Jumpships to the planet surface so it is larger than a 747 even though it is small among the Dropships in general.

Edited by Bloody Moon, 03 February 2013 - 04:50 AM.

#7 Murku

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:51 AM

New model designs so forget what a mech used to look like. Weight and volume can have little relationship to silhouette and dimensions, compactly built hunchback looks to displace same volume as convoluted centurion, likewise Stalker a tight efficient shape for volume. Honestly, when I saw the mech scale pic that's floating about it made me understand why some mech may 'feel' a little off.

As for terrain, we've had peeps tell us that snow doesn't pile like shown in frozen city, shrubs in river city too big etc. Closeup details like factory stuff and tiny cars seem OK to me, I'm willing to give PGI the benefit of the doubt. Defo the first game where it feels something other than being regular man size in a toy village...

Edited by Murku, 03 February 2013 - 04:52 AM.

#8 KeefCheef

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 42 posts
  • LocationThe Periphery

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:53 AM

I'd say they're off but not too much. Stalker should be bigger than catapult, centurion should probably be a little smaller. Wouldn't mind Atlai being a bit bigger but it might make them too easy to shoot.

Edited by KeefCheef, 03 February 2013 - 04:53 AM.

#9 Tetatae Squawkins

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,028 posts
  • LocationSweet Home Kaetetôã

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:01 AM

The Cent needs to be about 15% smaller. And the Stalker about 15% larger. Other than that. Everything is fine.

#10 King Arthur IV

• Moderate Giver
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:23 AM

iv been thinking about this too but havent gone too much into detail.

one thing that feels very off to me is some of the cockpits. from the inside, the windows all look like the same size but on the outside its obviously not eg. atlas eye compared to hunchback face.

Edited by King Arthur IV, 04 February 2013 - 11:06 PM.

#11 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:35 AM

"Search Bar"

It's your friend for finding out if you are posting a topic that has been beaten like a dead horse already.

This one has.

#12 LoneUnknown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:49 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 03 February 2013 - 05:35 AM, said:

"Search Bar"

It's your friend for finding out if you are posting a topic that has been beaten like a dead horse already.

This one has.

Good thing the thought police is on the prowl ensuring we don't create redundancy on the internets.

Seriously though... **** off.

People don't need to do an extensive search before expressing a thought to make sure it hasnt been said before.

**** off

#13 Kaarde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • LocationState of confusion

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:42 AM

As far as mech sizes go, I think they are a bit off in certain regards.

The Commando seems to me more like a power suit than a mech. Think of the pilot sitting in that thing, half his body would be in the chest cavity with a seat bolted on top of either the gyro or reactor. I think it should be sized up a bit.

When I first saw the raven I was suprised at how tall it was, it appears to be all legs. In view of its design parameters it should be a bit shorter to offer more of a stealth profile.

And everyone has mentioned the Stalker. For an Assault able to carry 10 hardpoints with the weight to back them up it should be much larger than a Catapult.

The Atlas, Awsome and Catapharact are about right, though the Centurion could be a bit smaller. It looks like an emaciated Atlas when put side by side.

If you look at the grounded Dropship in River City I rather though that was modeled rather small. Specs say that it can carry four mechs in its bay. Considering its on landing skids and the head of the mech is about half height of the hull makes me think that many Atlases would emerge from that thing with a neck ache.

Just my thoughts.

#14 Tennex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:43 AM

they'r not going to listen to us lol

#15 Thirdstar

• 2,728 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:44 AM

Posted Image

Decide for yourself.

Pic isn't mine, shamelessly stolen from the intarwebz.

Edited by Thirdstar, 03 February 2013 - 06:55 AM.

#16 WolvesX

• The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:49 AM

View PostThirdstar, on 03 February 2013 - 06:44 AM, said:

Posted Image

Decide for yourself.

Nice!I like that!

#17 Mazzyplz

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:02 AM

come on... if the catapult was that small where would it hide 3xsrm6 ;)

the cicada seems huge in mwo though, 60% size of atlas? wow.

#18 ConnorSinclair

Dezgra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts
  • LocationPlanet Tranquil--HighOrbit--

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:13 AM

View PostThirdstar, on 03 February 2013 - 06:44 AM, said:

Posted Image

Decide for yourself.

Pic isn't mine, shamelessly stolen from the intarwebz.

<3 Kong

#19 GODzillaGSPB

• 2,028 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:19 AM

Especially the Stalker versus Catapult size makes no sense! 20 tons...were did they go? I know the Stalker torso is longer, but still...

#20 WolvesX

• The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:15 AM

I support this!

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users