Mech Sizes Not Proportional?

138 replies to this topic

Poll: Are the mechs height proportional compared to other mech games? (473 member(s) have cast votes)

Do the mech heights seem correct?

1. Voted NO (322 votes [68.08%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 68.08%

2. Voted YES (73 votes [15.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.43%

3. Undecided, further investigation required (78 votes [16.49%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.49%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 OldChieftain

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 34 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:05 AM

Definitely off. At a shade over 15 meters the Atlas just can't hide well, it doesn't really need to. Especially the DDC. proportional to each other is closer but still way off. The Stalker should be wider then a cat. it just had a visually thinner feel because of the bigger, thinner box arms but it was still wider.-Frak is good, Awesome a tad too wide and short. Hunch? hmm, seems right. Cent might be too tall. The squirrels seem fine.

#62 Sifright

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom, High Wycombe

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:08 AM

View PostMrNemo, on 04 February 2013 - 08:05 AM, said:

Definitely off. At a shade over 15 meters the Atlas just can't hide well, it doesn't really need to. Especially the DDC. proportional to each other is closer but still way off. The Stalker should be wider then a cat. it just had a visually thinner feel because of the bigger, thinner box arms but it was still wider.-Frak is good, Awesome a tad too wide and short. Hunch? hmm, seems right. Cent might be too tall. The squirrels seem fine.

Cicada is also another giant of a mech.

#63 skelley92

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 108 posts
  • LocationFusion Engine City, MI

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:29 AM

The Centurion is too big, the Stalker is too small. The Comando and Jenner seem small to me also.

The scale of the game world is off.

By the way, the floor to floor height of office buildings in the US is closer to 13' up to 14'. 10' is not tall enough.

#64 Sifright

• 2,218 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:59 AM

View Postskelley92, on 04 February 2013 - 10:29 AM, said:

The Centurion is too big, the Stalker is too small. The Comando and Jenner seem small to me also.

The scale of the game world is off.

By the way, the floor to floor height of office buildings in the US is closer to 13' up to 14'. 10' is not tall enough.

yes but an atlas should still tower over a two story building.

#65 CwStrife

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 255 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:10 AM

Still, sizes are unproportional.

#66 Kaelus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:13 AM

View PostThontor, on 04 February 2013 - 05:57 AM, said:

The one at the spaceport on river city is a Gazelle

The one that crashed on Frozen City is clearly a Leopard.

Not according to the dev's. I can't bring the quote up anyways because it was on the CB forums. They didn't make a new model. It's the same one. Maybe enlarged it possibly, or shrunk it for rivercity. It's the same model to be sure though.

Edited by Kaelus, 04 February 2013 - 11:16 AM.

#67 Mr Mantis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • LocationCouch

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:34 AM

You are thinking of it wrong the mechs are to scale, the buildings are built differently than they are today.

"Hey mayor Bob why did you design the whole city with such large windows?"
"Oh that was a joke, I did it to make the mech pilots confused at how large their mechs were if we ever get invaded."

building cross section
####################
|
|-----------------------------------
|
#----------------------------------
|
|-----------------------------------
|
#####################

| = windows
----- = floors

so those 2 story buildings were in reality 4 story buildings

#68 PurpleNinja

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationMIA

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:38 AM

Even double heat sinks aren't proportional.

^_^ :)

#69 Sifright

• 2,218 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:39 AM

View PostPurpleNinja, on 04 February 2013 - 11:38 AM, said:

Even double heat sinks aren't proportional.

^_^ :)

Hahahahahhaha

#70 Colddawg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 317 posts
  • LocationYork, Pennsylvania

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:48 AM

I wonder if anyone else always feels like they're waist high to an atlas. Seems like the Atlas is MUCH taller than all the rest.

#71 CwStrife

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 255 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:20 PM

Agreed that mech sizes are wayy too unproportional. IMO the unproportional sizes give this mechwarrior game a stupid feelings... almost like the mechs are people in armored suits.

#72 Postumus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 399 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:39 PM

So, I voted no, because I think the mechs do look pretty puny, especially the height of the cockpit off the ground, and the apparent size of the cockpit versus the world outside. As for the size comparisons to the "747" in frozen, that's not a plane its a dropship, so I hope to got it can fit an Atlas. The comparison to the buildings is bang on though, if anything just making the visible features (windows, doors etc) much small would help with scale, but also just making the mechs a bit larger, or at least increasing the size spread between them.

#73 Toong

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 427 posts
  • LocationHere

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:57 PM

I'd like to point out that the "two story buildings" you're talking about that appear on the Frozen City map are actually closer to five or six stories. If you look closely at the windows, each window is actually a "cluster" of two floors with a small gap in between. For proof, look at the skyscrapers present on the same map, and compare the window sizes.

Also the crashed plane in question is actually a dropship, and it also is much larger than it appears. Close to the front of the plane is a gap where the nose ripped off of the rest of the fuselage. If you look on the section containing the nose and the cockpit on the inside, you can see a scaffolding with stairs leading from the floor of the cargo bay up to a hatch leading into the cockpit. Judging by the size of that hatch, the interior of the dropship is roughly 6-7 stories tall.

#74 Mazzyplz

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:12 PM

Posted Image

ok this is what i was talking about: (sorry it took so long LOL)

see this building in front? it's about 5 atlas tall and around 40 stories high?? (i reckon)

the rest of the buildings in frozen or even river city are not actually 2 stories high, they're at least 5-6 stories high (6-7 if we count the snow burying them)

to highlight what i mean i encased a single story within a red square
Posted Image

it looks like my awesome is about 6 stories tall

Edited by Mazzyplz, 05 February 2013 - 09:17 PM.

#75 Brilig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 667 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:21 PM

I think they did a really good job on the environment scale. What does seem off are the mechs in comparison to each other. I could be wrong about the scale. Maybe the mechs are exactly as they should be height and width wise according to lore. They just don't look like it. It doesn't look like there are enough height/width differences between the various tonnages.

That is not to say that the mechs don't look good though. I think the models are great. There are also some issues where making the mechs the size they are makes them too easy, or not easy enough to hit individual sections for their weight class.

For instance, I really like what they did with the Awesome. I think it looks great as it is. But unfortunately the squat, very wide design makes it super easy to hit individual sections on the mech. (Center torso.) I think some mechs could use some tweaking that way. Keep all the ratios between the sections the same but change around the height/width.

#76 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:19 AM

Battletech treats all mechs as being the same approximate size when rolling for random hit locations. Youre just as likely to hit a commando in the side torso as you are an Atlas. But thats not the case in MWO.

#77 CwStrife

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 255 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:21 AM

Just make everything bigggarrrrr!

#78 JwLeonhart

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:02 PM

Yea I have to agree. The mechs should be a bit taller. Maybe they will do that in the future? :lol:

#79 Shumabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:56 PM

Keep in mind the original tabletop height values that this is all "based off of" are nonsensical garbage that a dude just made up in his office 30 years ago. I do however think that scale is a bit off in some areas, primarily in volume to weight ratios on the mechs themselves.

#80 Signal27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:03 PM

View PostShumabot, on 08 February 2013 - 09:56 PM, said:

Keep in mind the original tabletop height values that this is all "based off of" are nonsensical garbage that a dude just made up in his office 30 years ago.

This is something that had to be said, so thank you for saying it. I love Battletech as much as the next guy from all the way back in the 80's, but let's not kid ourselves: It was written up by some sci-fi wargame fans who had a thing for anime mecha and big robots - not a team of military engineers making hypotheses on how warfare would be conducted in the far future. So however mech sizes got written up in the Technical Readouts all those years ago may not translate to what's actually good for a game like this - bigger mechs than what we have already translate into much easier targets. And, yes, the world(s) are going to seem like they were built specifically to accommodate mechs because that's exactly what happened when the devs were making the maps to keep things interesting with stuff to dart around, provide cover, and hide behind.

Edited by Signal27, 08 February 2013 - 11:10 PM.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users