Awesome 8Q Builds, Is Less More?

83 replies to this topic

#1 Tahribator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:03 AM

As weak as they may be at the moment, I have a weird fondness for Awesomes(maybe the underdog syndrome?). So after heeding the advice for avoiding Awesome and buying my first Assault Atlas D-DC which was VERY boring to play(but I did great in it) I bought my first mean looking Awesome, the 8Q.

I spent nearly my whole yesterday customizing it and trying to find a role. I tried to make it work as a brawler/sniper/atlas support with very weird builds ranging from 6 PPC's, 7 Small Lasers to normal 3 LL 4ML, 4LL builds and anything inbetween.

I'm still not satisfied. I've had good success with a 3LL, 4ML build when I managed not to get attention in brawls, but the downside is it's a strictly support build because of the heat. In 1v1's I'm getting outdamaged and outmaneuvered. Even a Dragon/Centurion/Hunchback has no problems taking an Awesome down by themselves. I was getting lots of shutdowns in the middle of the combat with the Awesome, which pretty much means instadeath with very weak rear armor.

Using all those slots with lasers and boating it seems like a bad idea, as even with 19-20 DHS you can't keep your DPS steady in combat. So I started experimenting with PPC's and LL's, trying to get them to compliment each other. I found that PPC's are a big no-no for the Awesome, as you're very reliant on your team and will eventually have to take a fight in close combat and then you lose lots of firepower. You also need a burst damage weapon to finish off enemies quickly, which necessiates the ERPPC.

Anyways, I'm currently settled on this build (AWS-8Q) after an iteration of 50 or so games in the 8Q. I can do good damage at range with the single ERPPC and when they get in medium range I fire up the 2LL's and 2ML's in close range. Which can be fired continously without cooling for a long time thanks to 21 DHS. I use ERPPC for finishing mechs off. This build seems to be working fine so far, but I'm still VERY dependent on how my team is doing.

I'm wondering if any of you who played 8Q long enough has finally settled in a different build, or have some advice?

Edited by Tahribator, 03 February 2013 - 07:04 AM.

#2 MasterBLB

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationWarsaw,Poland

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:29 AM

The only less team-dependend builds are Raven 3L - ECM + 3ML,2xSSRM2 and Double AC20 Cat.But if you have a team of total noobs you'll archieve only to take someone with you into underworld while dying,maybe 2 kills at best,not more.

About your Awesome,I'd try to exchange ER PPC for Large Pulse Laser.The build becomes much more heat efficient,but it is pushed into supporter/brawler role.Group weapons like:
1.LPL
2.Mediums
3.Larges
4.Medium + Larges on chain fire
During brawl fire at will,and when the heat becomes dangerously high switch to use group 4 only,this gives you 66% heat efficiency.When the heat will drop to save value use Large Pulse Laser.
And because you have 2 Large Lasers and Large Pulse Laser you can play as a support mech,without getting into brawl.

#3 Tahribator

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:33 AM

I just checked the values and that seems like a good idea, much more heat efficient while retaining the damage. Though I lose some long range touch. I'll definitely try it tonight.

Edited by Tahribator, 03 February 2013 - 07:33 AM.

#4 Cybermech

Tool

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:02 AM

erppc and MP's will work better for you in my opinion.

MP's in close range situations tend to record more damage in game.
Your heat should not be that much of a problem.

#5 The Amazing Atomic Spaniel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  • LocationBath, UK

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:45 AM

After going through all the same thoughts as you guys, I've settled on 4LL + 3ML and a slightly bigger than usual engine so that it goes 60 kph with speed tweak. It can manage two LL alphas before having to switch to chain fire.

Builds with PPCs sound attractive, but too many games seem to have some close in work and at that point a PPC ASW is in a bit of a pickle. Maybe when the ERPPC gets its heat lowered we might be able to run 3ERPPC builds more easily.

#6 Shade4x

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 190 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:20 AM

I think you picked the worst of the variants for the awesomes. The dev's say that energy is underpowered. I've heard alot about how awesomes are bad, and as a player i often look for them, because they usually are easy kills. Of course i play an awesome myself, and tend to do very well with my awesome. The main problem with the Q is that it has no missle hard points, and thats where alot of good damage comes from. However there are a few ways to build a Q to make it battle friendly. First you need to pick your role. Either 3x PPC's, 4 small lasers or 4 large 3 small tends to work well with a standard. You should also switch out the back armor for front CT armor till your around 21 in the back CT. This makes it much more tanky. Awesome's make decent brawlers, you just need to be aware of there massive torso hitbox. Never run streight at the guy, run sideways and turn tword him. When he is about to fire, turn forward and arm tank.

oh your build is good. This is what i've played before

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d8e8fd4dc92a5c6

#7 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:45 AM

I actually think the 8Q (along with the 8T) is one of the best "all around" Awesomes. Like the OP, I've tried many configs and still haven't found the "one". The problem is heat. You just can't pack enough firepower to be a real 1v1 threat without constantly heatstroking (usually at the worst possible time too). The two 8Q builds I currently like the most are 3 PPCs + 3 MLs and 4 LLs + 3 MLs. If you are really disciplined at heat management, a 6 LL build on the 8Q is pretty much the definition of "wreck". Just fire the LLs in groups of two.

No matter what though, your success (and failure) in a Awesome is going to be strongly dependent on your teammates.

#8 Wrenchfarm

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:23 AM

I enjoy 4xLLAS and 3xMLAS with a 260std on my 8Q.

You can drop the mediums and play around with the armour to get 2xPPCs in the arm and 2xLLAS in the chest. Gives you a nice Megatron punch at a distance while letting you use the LLAS up close. I'm not sure about using ERPPCs in anything, the heat is just too high. Being able to hit things within 90m is handy, but really a bit of careful piloting can often prevent those situations from arising in the first place.

I also enjoy a trollish 4xPPC build. Put them all in the chest for maximum laser *******.

#9 TheStrider

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 574 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:42 AM

I've had troubles finding a steady setup too.

I ended up with a 3LL 2ML setup - http://mwo.smurfy-ne...071edbd4b6ea213

Weapons Groups 3LL and 2ML. If you're wondering why I didn't put them in the arms, when I built him I wanted as little variance in beam origin as possible. Now I think on it, I should probably experiment with arm swings...

Not perfect, but it at least works. It doesn't see a ton of play since I've got a 9M and a 8R.

Edited by TheStrider, 03 February 2013 - 10:43 AM.

#10 TheStrider

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 574 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:51 AM

There... Back to 4LL - 2 in one arm, 2 in torsos. No ML, added TAG.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0bf1fd952db4fda

Have to see how he handles. According to the in game ticker, he's slightly more heat efficient, but having 1/2 his power in one arm will be a vulnerability.

Edited by TheStrider, 03 February 2013 - 10:52 AM.

#11 ProtoformX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 436 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:40 AM

Drop an AMS ammo and grab a BAP (your leg looks like a good spot) to increase your sensor range/speed for that ER PPC.

#12 The Amazing Atomic Spaniel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  • LocationBath, UK

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:52 AM

View PostTheStrider, on 03 February 2013 - 10:51 AM, said:

... having 1/2 his power in one arm will be a vulnerability.

Yeah - I've found this to be a liability as well. Not only can the arm get damaged, but mixing arm and torso weapons does my head in because I always end up with beams shooting off in all directions. Looks pretty on a night map but not very effective ;). I prefer, as much as possible, to have them in one or the other. The 8T is actually quite nice for this. I have run one with 2LRM15s in the torso, and 2LL and 2ML in the arms; does OK as long as nobody shoots the arms off.

#13 ayezred

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 41 posts
  • LocationWhat?, Dunno.

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:20 PM

I've been playing around with the Q for a min and I think I have come up with 2x builds for It that I would run.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0c29d20796736d8

7x Mpulse, fun and funny lol.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...65f372331180b7c

this one is 6x Llasers. I think probably group your torso together and chainfire and have your arm seperate and firet hat off as an individual group, anti light arm lol.

Awesomes are seriously my favorite mech, Centurion aside. I'm thinking about doing something like ppc's and mlas sometime, we shall see what I do.

I love you, AyezRed

#14 Pkunk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 121 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:39 PM

I've been playing all kinds of loadouts in the 8Q and this is the one I'm currently having most fun with.
AWS-8Q

Especially now the netcode is a lot better it is a very nice mech to one shot lights from a distance. Also the heat is very manageable. You can alpha twice without overheating.

#15 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:29 AM

I tried the 7 MPL build for the 8Q. Bottom line: not viable. Even with grouping the MPLs, it overheats before you can do anything useful. And because MPLs are very short range, you are pretty much guaranteed to die when you heatstroke.

For the 8Q, LL builds are much more effective. The next most effective is a PPC build, but I don't feel this is as good as a LL build.

I'm even starting to prefer a 3 LL + 3 SRM4 (or 3 SSRM2) build for my 9M. Nothing else has been as effective in my experience.

#16 Tahribator

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:10 AM

After some experimentation I've concluded that 8Q is just sub-par in current weapon balance(energy weapon massing is not viable, Large/ER weapons and PPC's can't output steady damage) and bought a AWS 8T. Using 3LL's and 2LRM15's, I hang back softening with LRM's and finishing up with 3LL's. I can even brawl as effective as my 8Q if need be.

Still, I've learned A LOT playing with this mech. I've mastered shielding body with arms and learned to take punishment patiently. I usually lose both my arms before CT or torso cored. Hopefully after the balances of tomorrows patch Awesomes will be more relevant in battlefield.

Edited by Tahribator, 04 February 2013 - 09:22 AM.

#17 SniperCzar

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 96 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:16 AM

There's plenty of time to cool off... when everyone around is dead. http://mwo.smurfy-ne...824fafcabadacc0
Run up near multi mech brawls, don't fire or attract any attention with your movements until you have clean shots and then pick a few off while they're occupied. If you don't rush them, they usually don't rush you. When you shut down and they do decide to rush you, just blow them away as soon as you reboot. Nobody expects a mech to go straight back to shutdown for another 15 seconds... perfect setup for a one shot kill to the chest and they never see it coming.

#18 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:03 PM

Tahribator,
Try 4 LLs, 2 SRM6s, and a STD290 on your 8T. Pretty decent brawler (great at killing hunchbacks). Two LLs in each arm are so much easier to aim than the arm/torso laser combos on the other Awesomes.

#19 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:20 PM

Used to be my favourite mech, the 8Q.

Used to have a 300 rated engine, but you have to settle for a 290. I run with 4LL, 3 mlas.

The most important thing to manage is not your heat, but your positioning. Prison rules very much apply here. With your attractive profile and low speed, you're a prime target for any ambitious enemy ne'er-do-wells.

You need to find yourself a nice, fat protector, like an Atlas, and sit around 200-300m behind him, so you don't cramp his style. Alpha strike with LL only, switching to chain to manage heat. Switch to MLAS for closer targets.

Always loiter around cover, in the event that some other kingpin manages to be too much for your protector. If you aren't able to snag an atlas, you need to hang around with more attractive targets, like slower mediums, or dangerous heavies.

Just like in prison. Rule #1, is don't leave your *** exposed.

#20 SniperCzar

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 96 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:59 PM

View PostKiiyor, on 04 February 2013 - 02:20 PM, said:

Used to be my favourite mech, the 8Q.

Used to have a 300 rated engine, but you have to settle for a 290. I run with 4LL, 3 mlas.

The most important thing to manage is not your heat, but your positioning. Prison rules very much apply here. With your attractive profile and low speed, you're a prime target for any ambitious enemy ne'er-do-wells.

You need to find yourself a nice, fat protector, like an Atlas, and sit around 200-300m behind him, so you don't cramp his style. Alpha strike with LL only, switching to chain to manage heat. Switch to MLAS for closer targets.

Always loiter around cover, in the event that some other kingpin manages to be too much for your protector. If you aren't able to snag an atlas, you need to hang around with more attractive targets, like slower mediums, or dangerous heavies.

Just like in prison. Rule #1, is don't leave your *** exposed.

Sounds like my 9M build, only much hotter and slower.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users