Awesome 8Q Builds, Is Less More?

83 replies to this topic

#21 Templair

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:54 AM

View PostKiiyor, on 04 February 2013 - 02:20 PM, said:

...Prison rules very much apply here....

You need to find yourself a nice, fat protector, like an Atlas...

:D good one.
Talking about independence from your team ... best AWS has a name, 9M it is. With 4LL or 3LL + few SRM and a big XL engine, It`s a nightmare for all meds and most of the light pilots. Then if you came one on one whith some fat AS7 thats your pickle:)

Edited by Templair, 05 February 2013 - 02:03 AM.

#22 Timelordwho

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 251 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:21 AM

Try this on for size.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6b6fee8cc9514b1

You can swap the ERPPC for regular PPC based on personal preference.

Basically, the theory is that you overlap your weapon ranges, so you use different energy weapons at different ranges in order to maximize heat output, while retaining the possibility of a large alpha strike to finish off a wounded target. you can basically constantly hit for 20+ damage, no matter how far away the target is. Basically, you always want to be using your cooling power.

Edited by Timelordwho, 05 February 2013 - 02:23 AM.

#23 Tahribator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:43 PM

After the patch I returned to my beloved 8Q and oh my god, this thing is now a beast. The most surprising thing is the build I'm using. It's stock with only arm PPC replaced with ERPPC. So 2PPC's and 1 ERPPC. Also DHS, and STD300 engine AWS-8Q .

How to make most of this build(and 8Q Awesomes in general)

The beauty of this build is the cooling you have with 22DHS. Unlike an all-in Stalker PPC boat, you're able to sustain fire for a long time. You can alpha for 7 times without shutting down(that's 210 damage), which is enough to take out anything provided you land shots where needed. On chain fire you can pretty much fire as long as you want. Unlike the Stalker when you attack, you're not commited to it, you can disengage and reposition if needed.

Positioning is very important with this build, you have to be just behind the frontline(not miles away), alphaing heavies and assaults while frontline mechs like Cataphracts and Atlai tank the damage. Always keep out of PPC minimum range(90m) during the first big clash so you can be most effective. Keep in mind PPC's still do damage under 90m, but damage decreases as they get closer. Always be aware of your teammates, if they suddenly pull back you're dead meat. Awesome just melts under concentrated fire, even if you are a torso twist master.

If you see a Catapult with a cheese build try the legs first as most of them sacrifice leg armor for tonnage. Especially AC20 builds. Legging SRMCats is also viable, as you are guaranteed to blow up the SRM ammo instakilling him. Going for legs against Stalkers is always a good idea as well, they move very slowly and have huge legs. Attacking Stalker body is a waste of time and damage IMO, its hitboxes are relatively tiny and close to each other so you keep spreading precious damage.

Another point is the usage of arms. If you are dying before both your arms get shot off, you're doing it wrong. Usage of arms for tanking damage is a MUST for Awesome, otherwise even a Hunchback can take you out no problem in a 1v1. Using your arms for shielding also make your profile smaller(Awesome is broad but thin). With the recent torso twist angle/speed buffs, you can easily time your PPC shots with enemy weapons. Shoot and twist, tank the damage and attack again. Keep your eyes on minimap so you can keep your torso perpendacular to enemy mech.

I am literally destroying the other team if my team manages to stay coherent and let me support them; that means no lights/meds harassing me. I averaged 800 damage for three games straight and I've just been pubbing.

I think Awesome is meant to be played with PPCs. With each laser you add, the more you need to get into brawls to be effective which is exactly what you're not supposed to do in this mech. You make the job of guys who are brawling easier with burst damage.

Edited by Tahribator, 06 February 2013 - 05:02 PM.

#24 Phaesphoros

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:50 AM

Thanks, Tahribator. Never thought this could work. First match 4 kills, 3 assists, > 450 dmg, top of the list (also most dmg iirc).
However, you can do the same thing with a AWS-8T, having the PPCs in the arms (which is arguably better). And you can do even better with a STK-3F: 23 DHS (1 more), Std 310 (59 kph) and still 1.5 tons left - more armor, less profile. One more DHS since the AWS has these crappy actuators occupying crit slots. IMHO thats also a reason why the AWS-8Q (QQ) is inferior to Stalkers in many configurations:
  • Stalkers can carry 6 PPCs and be faster + more DHS than the corresponding AWS-8Q build.
  • Same goes for 6 LL where you'll literally QQ because of the actuators occupying crit slots where you could fit in DHS. (AWS-8Q is not a good boat IMHO)
  • Sniping is bad due to low arms and large hitboxes / profile.
  • Brawling is bad since SRMs are better brawler weapons and some ballistics - and your profile again.
  • You're not really that much faster but in the 9M than Stalkers, and not so much faster than Atlai to run away from them (I've failed to do so at least, even only running around buildings won't get you in their backs).
What I can tell so far from piloting two Awesomes is that your arms are your greatest advantage: Shields, weapon accuracy, faster aiming and so on. But the AWS-8Q has no hardpoints in its left arm, unlike the 8T (and you cannot fit in a third DHS because of... the hand actuator!). With weapons in the arms, sniping (at med distances) is much simpler IMHO, and you can aim better at running lights.
PPCs work best on Awesomes as far as I can tell, since you shoot them and turn away your CT. You can do similar things with LPL, but those are <300 m weapons where you get into the brawling zone (ML, SRM, AC/20 270m).

I'd say LLs work better on Stalkers, as well as PPC boating, so I'll try some variants of the 3/4 PPC 8Q. Though I could do this with my 8T, too.

Edited by Phaesphoros, 07 February 2013 - 11:55 AM.

#25 Mazzyplz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:52 AM

do 4 er PPC and stalk the stalkers

#26 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:29 PM

Yeah, removal of the useless hand actuator would free up a precious slot, which in a lot of builds would all the addition of another (much needed) DHS.

#27 Vessiel

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:53 PM

i usually use this build:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...526146e01d383fe

After the LPL change you can swap ppc for 4 LPLs, i have tried that build and it's fun; if you want a fast build you can also change the STD250 for a XL300, something like this:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...689f0ea586b7b9c

After the engine improvement i'll try this, but now i don't have money for the STD300 engine:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...088aa724d0d99a2
It runs a bit hot, so if it's not manageable i'll switch MPL for normal MLas

EDIT:

you can also make a build like this:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6881f565fc7808f

Edited by Vessiel, 07 February 2013 - 02:11 PM.

#28 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:14 PM

If I made a 8Q, I would use 2 LL or bigger, everything else MLs or smaller, a 300 engine for speed and a bunch of DHS. Similar to how I built my 8R, a couple of mid-long range weapons for sniping and a bunch of close range. You don't need 3 or more long range weapons if you have heat problems, that's just my belief. I like the 300 engine, speed is closer to some Mediums and Heavies. I treat the Awesome like a bigger Dragon, 1-2 big guns and close range when someone gets too close plus speed.

Currently though I avoid using my 8R because I found an Atlas on the other team almost every time, having a trial Atlas has put Assaults in large numbers on the field, been dropping the K2 to rack up C-Bills, avoid another Atlas on the enemy team and practice with PPCs. Seeing all the Atlases out there is just plain sick.

#29 Scratchicus

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 25 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:50 PM

I have a Awesome-8Q. Tried stalker didnt like it I love my 8Q.

3 PPC, 2 LL

Standard engine, endo steel structure, dual heat sinks. rest of the tonage goes to armor after fitting as many sinks as possible. can take quite a few hits if played right and is down right Mean at mid to long range.

#30 Abe07

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:24 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...cface0b84ba6638

This is the Mech I've been using. You save the Pulse lasers for when someone gets too close or you really need an extra kick. You can fire the PPCs pretty regularly even on Caustic.

3 - PPC
3 - Medium Pulse Laser
STD 300
19 DHS
Endo Steel

Edited by Abe07, 04 March 2013 - 11:25 PM.

#31 Cloudfisher

• Pip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:21 AM

I had some cash and was considering buying Pretty Baby but its paint job is plain ugly, so I settled with a "common" Awesome, Q8 was a natural choice since I'm fond of PPCs. I struggled with different builds and here's what I've got to tell - ER PPCs are fun, but they're way too hot and most of the time you'll be firing them in the range of normal PPCs. So I settled with two PPCs, 5 med lasers and endo steel. No DHS, no nothing, just put as many heat sinks as you can fit in. Basically, you just shoot those twin PPCs from afar, waiting for the enemy to come into your optimal range which is around 250 meters. Then shoot all the 5 ML and 2 PPCs in succession. When your heat’s up shoot PPCs only or ML chainfire, when they’re trying to get it close and personal with you. This is my favorite build by far, since it is crazy heat efficient and I’m kinda trigger happy kind of guy. Got 5 kills with it recently 2 Atlases, 2 Cats and a Hunchy, no sweat.

Edited by Cloudfisher, 06 March 2013 - 05:11 AM.

#32 Broad5ide

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 255 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:25 AM

The key to the 8Q is that ALL of its damage is pinpoint damage. Go for headshots and if you can't get those make sure all of you damage is to the CT and you're a wrecking ball.

#33 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:55 AM

I'm rolling with my new AWS-8Q the "State Rewind" You can probably guess what I packed into it. :)

#34 Tahribator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:53 AM

6LL's with only 18 heatsinks . . . mother of god. As crazy as it seems, having a 66 damage pinpoint alpha sounds very attractive to me. I'll definitely give it a try.

BTW after experimenting with other Awesomes, I settled on the 9M as my laserboat brawler. It's just better at it with the help of SRM's. My 8Q is now strictly an heat efficient 3 PPC boat.

#35 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:02 AM

View PostTahribator, on 06 March 2013 - 07:53 AM, said:

6LL's with only 18 heatsinks . . . mother of god. As crazy as it seems, having a 66 damage pinpoint alpha sounds very attractive to me. I'll definitely give it a try.

BTW after experimenting with other Awesomes, I settled on the 9M as my laserboat brawler. It's just better at it with the help of SRM's. My 8Q is now strictly an heat efficient 3 PPC boat.

It's actually a 60 damage pinpoint alpha, but you can headshot with just 4 LLs. I'm still practicing the heat efficiency but you can definitely kill things with it. You can actually Alpha twice and not shut down.

#36 Random Incarnate

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:43 PM

The 8Q may become a force to be reckoned with once more. I almost regret selling mine. For reference, I run a 9M with 3 ER PPCs and 3 SSRM2s. The AWS was my first mech in the MW4 demo, and I'll hold onto it dearly.

I think Awesomes will become much scarier with full state rewind... and the AWS won't be laughed at.

#37 Mazzyplz

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:01 PM

the builds i would do with 8Q are

*6 Large Laser
or
*3 ER PPC
or
*4 PPC

#38 Slayer Of Twisted

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:07 PM

I have an awsome 8Q build but I will not share it cause I dont want people playing it :-P GL though it is a great mech.

#39 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:54 PM

C'mon dude, that's weak. Hardly anyone plays Awesomes, so it's not like you're going to run into yourself. The AWS community is small and mocked incessantly by nearly everyone, so we need to help each other out as much as possible.

I'm serious about this, by the way.

#40 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:04 PM

Alright, I sold my 8Q a while back but all this talk made me re-buy it. He is a "one trick pony" build that is great for goofing around:

STD275 (61 kph w/speed tweak)
4 PPCs (all center torso)
20 DHS (HE = 1.26)
Standard armor (400)

It's slow as hell, and you're screwed if you get swarmed. BUT . . . if you've got a few decent teammates to distract enemies it's like having a mini PPC stalker. A 4 PPC alpha is enough to headshot some mechs if you get lucky. I can alpha twice before going critical. 80 pinpoint damage can really ruin someone's day. No weapons in the arms, so you're the most dangerous zombie in the game. But try not to lose your arms because you've got 5 much needed DHS in them.

I find the key to sustained DPS is to group one mouse button for an alpha and the other for chain fire. Start in on an enemy with an alpha, then chain fire to keep the pressure on while managing your heat level. Then when the enemy is around 30%, send another alpha his way. With practice, you can fire quite a while before shutting down. I killed an LRM stalker this way before his second volley hit me.

Oh by the way, a 4 PPC alpha will blow a leg clean off a light. It is so satisfying to immobilize a light a-hole with one alpha then finish him off with the second alpha.

This isn't really a serious build, but it will give you plenty of LOL moments.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users