181 replies to this topic

#1 Kyle Polulak

<member/>

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 584 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:48 AM

All general feedback posts about the new UI Results screens including the Pre-Round Screen, Scoreboard, Death Screen, and End of Round Screen will be merged into this thread for simplified reference and overview.

#2 Heketon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 158 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:55 PM

• On start-up, could the pre-round screen be on-screen a wee bit longer?
  • After I die (which happens a lot), can you provide a way to go from Spectate mode back to the Death Screen?
  • Could the chat window have character repeat enabled? I'm not fond of tapping backspace repeatedly.
  • I would like to add my support what OvenRude mentions (see next post) about the scoreboard needing to highlight my row on it. It takes me a while to scan through the names.
  • When giving post-game stats, could my stats be given first and then allow me to select the team stats in the second tab? Optionally, could this be selectable in our profile similar to our faction?

Edited by Heketon, 05 February 2013 - 01:46 PM.

#3 OvenRude

• PipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 72 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:03 PM

A couple quick things.

First the scoreboard in game is now harder to see which player is you (at a glance) and also you cannot see how many kills you have in the match at that time...which is really the only thing besides who is alive and dead that I care about.

Please make it once again possible to see how many kills you have.

Also the fade in / outs to see the scoreboard and end of game scoreboard might be visually neat, but from a UI standpoint, they just hinder me being able to quickly gather information. If I'm in battle and I want to quickly check how many of the enemy team is still alive, I don't want to have to deal with any sort of fade in and out animation. It takes longer and takes important time away from actually watching the battlefield.

#4 DarkOmen42

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:08 PM

Very impressed. I like this. In my one game so far haven't seen a bug with it, lol.

#5 Ryvucz

Zunrith

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,839 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, Colorado

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:17 PM

I love it, most awesome.

#6 Damarus

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:21 PM

I really do like the new End-of-round screen, thats a definate plus in my book.

#7 Vraxx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 153 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:22 PM

The pre-match screen is a welcome addition, I would also second the issue about visibility. Highlighting the player row would be useful I think to quickly check your own stats. Not sure if the scale could be made somewhat large and agreed the fade is nice but does slow you down. If that could be a graphical advanced tweak I think it would be a welcome option.

The summary screen is also a great feedback tool for me, esp seeing the dmg summary and last bit of kill data.

#8 August55

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 295 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:23 PM

The scoreboard disables movement now, unlike the previous scoreboard. Can this be fixed?

#9 Lucky Noob

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sovereign
  • The Sovereign
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:26 PM

Awesome done, i realy like how you now can look what you have done.

#10 Aggressor666

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 158 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

love it !! altho the blue "team" text is a little harder to read verses the green we had before

#11 Wizard Steve

• 1,053 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:42 PM

It's awful!

I used to be able, at a glance, to see the kills, assists, damage and xp of each player, ranked by XP. Now I have to look at two lists and hunt through a typographical nightmare in a futile attempt to extract the same information piece by piece.

I can not believe I'm the only person who doesn't like it. It's a usability clusterfunk!

The pre-match and cause of death screens are a bucket of frogs too. Absolute disaster!

Edited by Wizard Steve, 08 February 2013 - 08:40 AM.

#12 ArmsLikeNoodles

• PipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:48 PM

Best UI improvements since launch. and this game has been REALY needing them, I hope the new front end being worked on gets the same reaction when it arrives. I honestly am struggling to find something to criticise about the UI updates since there is just so much of an improvement I will save the usability and placement pitholes for when the simple joy of having essential information available wears off. *off to continue enjoying the new UI*

#13 ArcDemon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 240 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:56 PM

There is a big delay between releasing the Tab key and the HUD returning. I do see the effort made to give it a fancy transition effect but I think it may be an area where function should trump form. The transition between HUD and scoreboard and then back again should be quick so that it can be used in battle to quickly assess the situation and change plans.

The player isn't highlighted on the scoreboard, I'm not sure if this is intentional but it could use correcting. With 24 players on the scoreboard in future it would be really useful to be able to find yourself before you get kicked back to Windows at the end of a match.

The kill count is gone from the scoreboard, personally I'd like it or a similar in game measure (damage done?). The information on the scoreboard in general is lacking some contrast, at a glance nothing stands out so it just looks like a sea of text.

On the end game chat the cursor seems to be offset to the right quite a bit from the All/Team marker. I assume this is intentional but it create the impulse to backspace because you think you've added a bunch of white space accidently, like you just came off jump jets.

As a suggestion, thinking of the upcoming 24 player matches, the HUD be given some kind of indicator of how many mechs are still Alive on each side. In Assault the death score isn't always useful since it doesn't count disconnects, while in Conquest you need to flip over to the now slower tab screen to get an idea. In PUG matches knowing the most basic state of the team is important since not everyone is communicating and you don't have the names of all your teammates memorized.

View PostAggressor666, on 05 February 2013 - 01:34 PM, said:

love it !! altho the blue "team" text is a little harder to read verses the green we had before

The blue text seems to have contrast problems when printed over lighter shades. Look at the sky in Caustic and the contrast reduces the text to a blur. Look at something darker like trees and it reads just fine.

#14 TheSupergeek

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:04 PM

I would just like to repeat some of what has already been said.

- Chat window scrollback should work everywhere (and be logged)
- A lot of the "at a glance" info is harder to see or missing. I want kills and assists and alive/dead to jump out at me. To this end, change someone's name color in the scoreboard to reflect their status; gray for disco, red for dead, and re-add kills. Mech type is nice info.

Also, some suggestions:
- Text breakdown of what blew up on me is superfluous; paper doll is fine.
- Let me stay in chat as long as I want.
- Let me "Friend Invite" from scoreboard with a click or two during or after match.

Edited by TheSupergeek, 05 February 2013 - 02:06 PM.

#15 Jayden Hawke

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:14 PM

I noticed that Bitching Betty continued to repeatedly announce that the enemy base was being captured in the End of Match screen.

#16 Popolou

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:14 PM

Liking this alot, thanks for the improvements team.

A few observations: -
  • Very glad about the pre/post match chat. However has the previously introduced 3 seconds delay from an earlier patch remained? With the rather excessive pause between the end-of-the-round and the actual scoreboard, it seems like the game/server/connection crashes. Can this be shortened?
  • Can we also have a column showing connections/disconnections in the end-of-round screen? It would be good to know the other player you want to berate ( ;)) is still about or decided to hop it.
  • Oddly, i have to mash the backspace button when deleting words en masse instead of holding it down. Seems to be the same behaviour in-game too. Reinstating this will be welcome (and on my wallet too!)
Overall, a very welcome and exciting improvement.

Pops

#17 ArcDemon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 240 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:20 PM

After a couple of matches there also seems to be a rather long delay between the last mech being killed and the scoreboard appearing. I know that maybe they want to ensure the killed player can see their paper doll screen but the wait time seems to cross into the territory of 'did something go wrong'. You don't want players to be on their seats wondering if the game has locked up everytime a match ends.

Something else that is missing from the old scoreboard is the ability to see overall score. In PUG, where losing is a fact of life, being able to see where you stood individually helps you determine if you where doing well enough in spite of having some less skilled team mates (on a few occasions this has even proven useful in a win - I have a win screen that illustrated quite well how 3 players carried the entire match by far).

#18 Nedwidget

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:30 PM

In a word... yuk.

I dislike the new color scheme for the in-game HUD. The score at the top looks faded and washed out, and the new blue seems harder to read in chat and more distracting on the arrows. The old colors were great, they were visible but not intrusive.

All of the new information available is great. The layout and presentation are not so great. While you can see a lot, you can't see anything "at a glance." The animation for opening and closing the scoreboard and then the time it takes to read it make it far less useful than the previous version. The additional graphics are superfluous and only clutter the screen.

Having to go to a different tab to see my rewards on the match-end screen is a pain in the rear.

The "if you had a premium account" ad feels like additional clutter. It would be more appealing and thus more likely to influence me if it were presented in a way that didn't clutter an already cluttered interface.

What I would love to see is the new information in a simple to read at a glance format like the old interface had.

Edited by Nedwidget, 05 February 2013 - 02:45 PM.

#19 Bloody Moon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:32 PM

Now i know it will be tweaked so this is not much of a trouble, but i think right now Combat Score relies too much on damage done (it makes up roughly the 95% of it).

As such it greatly favors bulk damage done over pinpoint accuracy.
I don't have to explain why that needs to change eventually right? ;)

#20 warner2

• 1,101 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:44 PM

PGI, your UI is clunky.

[BUG] I died, a screen popped up, I started typing. I was nearly finished then the screen changed (I was the last person to go down, so I guess it changed from the death screen to the end of game screen) and I lost all my text.

I really like your game but the fact the UI is riddled with bugs really irks.

Edit: Arg! [BUG] When the start of game screen is displayed, and you start typing, when the game then actually starts, you lose all your text if you haven't yet pressed enter. It's such a frustrating thing. The start of game screen is right when you'll actually start talking to people to get some strategy together, even if it's just "let's go upper city" or whatever. So for the game to start whilst you're in the middle of typing and discard what you're trying to say, it's so annoying. This happened to me the very first time I tried to use the chat feature!

What happens with poor features? They don't get used.

I'm a software developer and this stuff really frustrates me. Did you test this or just throw it into the beta.

I can't emphasize this enough. The very first two times I tried to use your 'chat embedded in screen feature', it broke. So what are your testers doing?

Edited by warner2, 05 February 2013 - 03:00 PM.

33 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 33 guests, 0 anonymous users