236 replies to this topic

#41 Kashaar

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 75 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:29 PM

View PostBoulangerie, on 12 February 2013 - 12:00 PM, said:

Seems like headshotting Stalkers would be extra tough, due to the fact they are probably taller than you, and the "head" is on top as well. Would be neat if their vision was slightly blocked due to that protuberance B)

It already is. Try heat vision, your lower quarter or so is blocked and lights up when you heat up.

#42 Ascendent

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:52 PM

Great educational thread. Thank you.

Edited by Ascendent, 12 February 2013 - 12:53 PM.

#43 Boulangerie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 477 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:01 PM

View PostKashaar, on 12 February 2013 - 12:29 PM, said:

It already is. Try heat vision, your lower quarter or so is blocked and lights up when you heat up.

Nice, I haven't actually piloted a Stalker, so maybe I spoke too soon.

#44 Voodu777

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:02 PM

Thanks for the support everyone! Unikorn Rainbow, their team, and I are glad everyone is enjoying the guide. We plan to update when more chassis are added.

Admins: Could we please get a sticky?

#45 Rhakthul

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:48 PM

View PostThontor, on 12 February 2013 - 05:38 AM, said:

Think of it this way... The "hunch" gets the extra armor that is front armor even if shot from the rear.

Oooh, now that's a good point, too. I hadn't thought about it like that...

#46 Sunnova

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:45 PM

This thread deserves a sticky. It is highly useful for those who actually make use of their targeting information!

#47 Boulangerie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 477 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:28 PM

View PostSunnova, on 13 February 2013 - 12:45 PM, said:

This thread deserves a sticky. It is highly useful for those who actually make use of their targeting information!

I agree, I've already used it to target a hunch from behind instead of circling to the side, as well as to avoid going for headshots (with my terrible aim I'm better off targeting components or CT) when a solid hit will do much better for my dps in the long run!

#48 So who took Pilot Name as a name

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Locationthe other side

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:56 PM

Hard to believe that the only one mech who's actual ''head'' is the ''head hit box'' is the Hunchback.

You'd think a mech's head would be more than just half a head or a portion of his face like, say, an eye... especially when counted as ''head hit box''.

Then again, 1/3 of the Hunchback's hunch being in the back counts as front torso so, not gonna argue with MWO logic! It's too far gone lol

#49 p00k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:06 PM

View PostSo who took Pilot Name as a name, on 13 February 2013 - 01:56 PM, said:

Hard to believe that the only one mech who's actual ''head'' is the ''head hit box'' is the Hunchback.

You'd think a mech's head would be more than just half a head or a portion of his face like, say, an eye... especially when counted as ''head hit box''.

Then again, 1/3 of the Hunchback's hunch being in the back counts as front torso so, not gonna argue with MWO logic! It's too far gone lol

mechs aren't people. your goal is to damage the cockpit, not the "head"

that said it would make more sense to me if anything that was the orange glass panes counted as cockpit. i'm lookin at you cataphract

#50 So who took Pilot Name as a name

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Locationthe other side

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:13 PM

View Postp00k, on 13 February 2013 - 04:06 PM, said:

mechs aren't people. your goal is to damage the cockpit, not the "head"

that said it would make more sense to me if anything that was the orange glass panes counted as cockpit. i'm lookin at you cataphract

Makes perfect sense then! Though come to think of it, if this is as you say (and honestly, I think it is), you'd think they'd call it ''cockpit'' not ''head''. Especially since not all mechs have heads to begin with...

#51 p00k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:34 PM

View PostThontor, on 13 February 2013 - 04:10 PM, said:

yeah... that's the way it was with the Cataphract when it was first put into the game...

lets just say... it's good they changed the head hitbox

oh i know. but they went overkill on it. i've taken a single med laser, stood in front of a dc'd cataphract, and raked along the middle glass pane, the top/bottom/left/right glass panes, and the struts between all of those, and shot the middle pane some more, and killed the cataphract from center torso damage. never touched cockpit, not even once.

make the side panes not glass panes then, but make that tall middle rectangular pane cockpit

Posted Image

Edited by p00k, 13 February 2013 - 06:43 PM.

#52 Rainbow Unikorn

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 84 posts
  • LocationFrog land

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:31 PM

View Postp00k, on 13 February 2013 - 06:34 PM, said:

oh i know. but they went overkill on it. i've taken a single med laser, stood in front of a dc'd cataphract, and raked along the middle glass pane, the top/bottom/left/right glass panes, and the struts between all of those, and shot the middle pane some more, and killed the cataphract from center torso damage. never touched cockpit, not even once.

make the side panes not glass panes then, but make that tall middle rectangular pane cockpit

Good tactic, but face hug is not a real solution.

You have the lag/ping shield deplection (why you don't hurt ?) and you block friendly firepower !

#53 UraniumOverdose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 648 posts
  • LocationBurning hot sphere of pure rage.

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:21 AM

Please Sticky This Mods.

#54 Kashaar

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 75 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:30 AM

View PostUraniumOverdose, on 14 February 2013 - 09:21 AM, said:

Please Sticky This Mods.

Please don't! Such information may never fall into the wrong hands! And the hands of my enemies are always the wrong hands! ;)

#55 OneEyed Jack

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,500 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:41 AM

View PostAnony Mouse, on 11 February 2013 - 01:17 AM, said:

I have to wonder how accurate the head boxes are. The cataphract example given here shows a tiny hit box, but my cataphracts are get headcapped pretty frequently, can't be that many sharp shooters out there.

It's not the size, it's the placement. People are aiming at your CT, hitting a little high and nailing your head. The Cat suffers from this a lot, too, although it's actually big enough people are aiming for is, as well. Most of the mechs, the head is far enough off center mass to seldom get hit unintentionally.

View PostSo who took Pilot Name as a name, on 13 February 2013 - 06:13 PM, said:

Makes perfect sense then! Though come to think of it, if this is as you say (and honestly, I think it is), you'd think they'd call it ''cockpit'' not ''head''. Especially since not all mechs have heads to begin with...

It's not the cockpit, it's the head. The just reduced the head size to viewports, and only certain of those on some mechs, because if they used the entire head on most of them, it would be far too easy to hit for a location that can take so little damage, yet destroy the mech. One-shots shouldn't be consistent, or nobody would play but a few griefer types getting off on headshotting each other.

#56 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:15 PM

As for making the whole 'head' of a mech the head area, It might work if they altered how the armor limits for heads work.
I prefer when they stick to the lore, but if the game would work better with them not then the game would work better with them not following the lore.
I.E. I would be fine with an Atlas having 30+ armor in its 'head' (just look at the thing) yet having the whole head be targetted. -at the same time that would render the Atlas (even with say 40+ armor) extremely vulnerable to headshots (dual-AC20 Catapult anyone?) and so they stick with the lore (altering it slightly -used to be only 9 armor for the heads)

....Ballance is a weird thing, and I'm not much good at it so feel free to ignore anything I have said on the subject.

#57 Zabadoo

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 89 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:53 PM

I dont think this helps so much.. Im sorry to be a spoil sport. But those places shown are just from the Mech lab from were it highlights. those are far from the head spots you need to hit. but otherwise yes good for helping with loadouts and how to disarm an opponent.

#58 Najek Yuma

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:10 PM

Welp, guess I'm going to move almost all of my Hunchback's armor to the front torso. I think I am already at 40f/8r, but I'll probably take it all the way to 44f/4r given how small that rear torso section is.

#59 80Bit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 555 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:29 PM

Fantastic guide! Thank you.

#60 Ravennus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:57 PM

Just a helpful hint as well.... though the highlighted section in the mechlab is typically incorrect as to the current hitboxes, you can still click with your mouse on the mech's body and it will select the actual hitbox location, much like if you shot there.

For example, bring up an Atlas in the Mechlab. If you click on most of the head, it actually selects the CT... but if you click the left eye, it selects the Head area.

I don't have a Cataphract, but I'd really like to check the head hitbox in the mechlab using the method above.
I've took out their cockpits many times, and I find it surprising that the actual hitbox would be so small!

Edited by Ravennus, 14 February 2013 - 08:58 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users