New Update Is Cartoon, Less Gritty...

77 replies to this topic

#61 Iwaslost

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:18 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 06 February 2013 - 01:11 PM, said:

Could you back that up with some numbers? Assuming that those ESA numbers are correct (they could very well be off), why are you suggesting that the average MWO player is younger than 30?

Sure.

http://www.theesa.co...ESA_EF_2011.pdf
http://www.nbcnews.c...s/#.URLITeRLjD4

I got a general view of our age from the poll. Just a general view nothing specific.

That's all I can do right now.

#62 Rofl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 435 posts
  • LocationTrash can around the corner.

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:20 PM

In America, 9 year olds play GTA, CoD, see more blood and guts in a day than math problems or homework, but god forbid that videogame show a *** slip else. The term game for adults, and what that means, is so different between other cultures in this world it boggles me.

Death? Blood? Intestine spraying out through a rocket inflicted wound? Perfect for my kid!

EDIT: There really needs to be a universal sarcasm font. Like comic sans.

Edited by Rofl, 06 February 2013 - 01:21 PM.

#63 HighTest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationKitchener, ON

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:23 PM

Two comments that refer back to the original post:

1. I fully agree that the rotating view on the end-of-game screen needs to go. I was reviewing the screen for deatiled match results after I died, and I actually got vertigo. Funny, I can circle-strafe in a 9D, but the end of match screen makes me sick.

2. Some more color certainly wouldn't hurt things. I'd love to see my big stompy war machine crush roses and petunias under its feet. Green bushes and trees? Sure! At least until my lasers scorch through them. Then they can be brown. ;) (I know, destructible environments are a ways off, but why can't war happen in some more colorful places too? Does no one fight over nice planets?)

#64 Sprouticus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationChicago, Il, USA

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:25 PM

The new screens look good to me. I can sort of KIND of see the OP's point. But to me the new screens just look more professional and clean. Less like a hack someone put together just to show the score.

Last night on my comms the opinions on the new screens were universally positive.

So to the few who feel strongly the other way.....you are outvoted. Not just by us players, but by the devs too. <shrug>

Time to move on

#65 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:25 PM

I remember there was a time in CB when if you died you had the choice between leaving the game or just staring at your wrecked mech for the rest of the match. I kinda like seeing what hit/killed me.

#66 Silpher K

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 82 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:26 PM

I, for one, loves the new UI animations, it makes the game feel a lot more polished and does have a more futuristic feel to it.
But i do agree there should be a toggle in option for those who don't want it.

and yeah the post-game score board needs to be displayed a lot quicker, the 3 seconds was perfect.
the pre-game screen is very nice and again feels polished, but the status isn't really needed... especially when it says "Alive"... of course that merchwarrior is alive, game hasn't started yet. it should either say "ready" or "disconnected" if disconnected or remove the whole status column on that screen altogether

and is it just me or did they removed the kills count on Tab screen.

and just for the record, im 28, and have been a fan of battletech and mechwarrior for 20 years.

Edited by Silpher K, 06 February 2013 - 01:29 PM.

#67 HighlandCoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 772 posts
  • Locationbehind you

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:31 PM

If someone called my company and said

"hey buddy, I dont like the colour of your login screen!"

or whatever..

I'd be all like,
"Is it broken? Does it not function?"

They'd be all like,
"..."

And I'd be like,
"awwww yeah...!"

and hang up.

Edited by HighlandCoo, 06 February 2013 - 01:31 PM.

#68 mekabuser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:35 PM

no! end of game death screen is great!.. the only problem is the data gets in the way of the visual.. If the data got pushed to the corner, or was more see through.. great..
Plus.. you could easily just slow down the rotation of the screen.. AND.. bind mouse wheel to zoom out...

Edited by mekabuser, 06 February 2013 - 01:35 PM.

#69 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:35 PM

View PostIwaslost, on 06 February 2013 - 01:18 PM, said:

Sure.
http://www.theesa.co...ESA_EF_2011.pdf
http://www.nbcnews.c...s/#.URLITeRLjD4
I got a general view of our age from the poll. Just a general view nothing specific.
That's all I can do right now.

I was just saying that the poll suggests the average age of MWO players is much higher than 30.
0-20: 144
21-30: 484
31-40: 354
41-50: 225
51-60: 51

Assuming the numbers you quote are correct, how can you suggest that MWO players are younger than the overall average?

EDIT: Hmm, when I actually took the time to do the math, I see where you're coming from. At a glance, the average isn't as high as I initially suspected ;)

Edited by Alistair Winter, 06 February 2013 - 01:37 PM.

#70 Megacromulent

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 185 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:39 PM

View PostWeaselball, on 06 February 2013 - 12:22 PM, said:

The new pre-game, post-game, death-screen and tab-screen make the game feel.... well, more like a finished, polished product.

Sure, the OLD quick-tab screen was faster for at-a-glance information, but it wasn't polished. It lacked something. This new system they have, while it might not be as crudely efficient as its prior iteration, is much better imho.

Yes, I agree they look nicer, but are harder to use... does that make them "better", I guess if you don't care to use the information in them, then yes, who cares if it's functional or not, cover it with friggin ponies! But I want useful as well, which has been diminished.

View PostHighlandCoo, on 06 February 2013 - 12:46 PM, said:

Do the new screens add to the fun? Not really, though they are far more useful than what we had before.

They are not more useful if you can't read them quickly in battle. But yes, they are an improvement in general. But the animations are silly.

View PostSprouticus, on 06 February 2013 - 01:25 PM, said:

...the new screens just look more professional and clean.

Last night on my comms the opinions on the new screens were universally positive.

So to the few who feel strongly the other way.....you are outvoted. Not just by us players, but by the devs too. <shrug>

Not my point, they ARE BETTER looking, it's an _obvious_ improvement, but then something also went wrong, they are harder to read and access in game.

View PostHighlandCoo, on 06 February 2013 - 01:31 PM, said:

If someone called my company and said

"hey buddy, I dont like the colour of your login screen!"

or whatever..

I'd be all like,
"Is it broken? Does it not function?"

They'd be all like,
"..."

And I'd be like,
"awwww yeah...!"

and hang up.

My favorite counter so far. You missed part of the story:
Me: "Hey buddy you made the game less engaging by taking me out of my suspension of disbelief"\

You: "What the hell are you talking about?"

Me: *sigh*

People who make art, movies, video games, music, etc... are _entertainers_ and it's supposed to be enjoyable and help us forget regular life, etc... As soon as we dismiss the notion that how something makes us feel, or how we interactive with it, then you might as well just be a bean counter in a cubicle, which maybe you are so you don't care how engaging the game is.

#71 Kraven Kor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:48 PM

View PostKraven Kor, on 06 February 2013 - 12:07 PM, said:

The Mechs especially feel a bit cartoon-ish after this patch. Not really a complaint, just a comment. /shrug

I do NOT like the blue they used for friendlies, on the mini-map it is really hard to see, but other than that I like most of the changes. I do agree there should be some more options there for how that displays (animated vs. non-animated, etc.)

Hell, let US choose the colors for friend / foe and HUD text, please? Red/Green Colorblind? Set your own colors. Hate pastels? Set your own colors. Not Pink enough to match your Brony-themed Overlay Hack? Set your own colors.

#72 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:21 PM

The new implementation takes a little getting used to, but it's much more polished than the old one. I like it a lot.

#73 Joanna Conners

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,206 posts
  • LocationEn Route to Terra

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:40 PM

View PostMegachromulent, on 06 February 2013 - 11:33 AM, said:

The latest patch added a number of screen changes that feel cartoony and less realistic and gritty. This makes it less interesting to come back into the game as I no longer leave a game feeling like I was in a battle, I feel I just played a round of Quake or Unreal...

Slick and shiny: (instead of quick and useful)
The new team list screen doesn't help, it's slick and shining, but hard to read and get info from quickly.

When you press TAB you have to WAIT for the slick animated team screen to show up. This makes it less useful in a fight, if you want a quick status update on your team mates. (ie, how many are still alive, should I stay in this brawl, or run, is my last teammate on my left an Atlas or a spider, etc...)

SUGGESTION: Give us settings to turn any new slick stuff off or on.

A simple check box for disabling/enabling animated menus/screen transitions, globally. I don't want animated stuff on any of my interfaces, it's fluff to have to wade through, and it's not realistic on a military equipment. (this is _supposed_ to be mech simulator.)

Death screen: (again, slick and shiny)
I don't want an animated death screen, (at least in it's current state) it takes me out of the game both actually and figuratively. I want to stay in the feeling that I am at a war, not playing a silly kids game.

The floaty 360 turn around my corpse after I die p*sses me off, and makes me feel both stupid for dying, and that I was just playing a kids game, and "oops your dead". How about cracking the screen, spray a little spit and blood on it, and show my pilot laying there. Or drop the camera view next to the mech in the dirt, motionless. That would be awesome, not cute and "cool" looking.

The entire game screams action, feeling the pulses and shocks, make the end screen the same.

SUGGESTION:
How about having the cockpit actually explode? Then cut to the dead mech? Anything that's not cartoony or feels like a kiddy game of Quake...

btw: THANK YOU for fixing the shut down bugs.
I think these are pretty minor complaints considering what's on the table. The 360 degree camera rotation has existed in prior Mech titles, as well as several of your other issues. It's all pretty normal and in-line with what you should be used to.Otherwise I think you're taking the game a little too seriously. It is, in fact, a game. Certain things may remind you of that from time to time and that's a good thing.

#74 CTsai

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 160 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:41 PM

View PostMegachromulent, on 06 February 2013 - 11:44 AM, said:

It's a WAR SIMULATOR, explosions, lasers, missles, more explosions. Then &quot;woopdido, your dead.&quot;

It's not the _colors_ that I take issue with, I like the upgrade to the colors and lightness, it's the _silliness_ of the new changes.

No buddy, this is a GAME , a game geared toward male audiences range from teen to grown ups
Not a WAR SIMULATOR , war simulators are systems used to train soldiers and help them better prepared to defend folks like you and me. We are not soldiers, just a bunch of internet dwellers that lack social lives. And this is not a simulator, despite it being less arcade-y

#75 HighlandCoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 772 posts
  • Locationbehind you

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:43 PM

I just think we've been staring and the previous screens for so long we hardly even really "saw" them anymore.

It'll take a little qhile to train my brain to look at different parts of the screen for my info, but im slow that way.

With regards to the "aesthetic" and is-it-immersive-for-you-personally IDK, I think it's good. YMMMV.

#76 The Cheese

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,558 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:55 PM

Slick and shiny: (instead of quick and useful)
The new team list screen doesn't help, it's slick and shining, but hard to read and get info from quickly.

When you press TAB you have to WAIT for the slick animated team screen to show up. This makes it less useful in a fight, if you want a quick status update on your team mates. (ie, how many are still alive, should I stay in this brawl, or run, is my last teammate on my left an Atlas or a spider, etc...)

SUGGESTION: Give us settings to turn any new slick stuff off or on.

+1 for this. I love the new design, but the animation takes a bit too long for someone who is constantly looking at the score screen to see who's alive. I'd extent the option to any part of the game that uses an animation for opening a new window.

Death screen: (again, slick and shiny)
I don't want an animated death screen, (at least in it's current state) it takes me out of the game both actually and figuratively. I want to stay in the feeling that I am at a war, not playing a silly kids game.

The floaty 360 turn around my corpse after I die p*sses me off, and makes me feel both stupid for dying, and that I was just playing a kids game, and "oops your dead". How about cracking the screen, spray a little spit and blood on it, and show my pilot laying there. Or drop the camera view next to the mech in the dirt, motionless. That would be awesome, not cute and "cool" looking.

I like what they've done with it. The weapon damage information isn't really that useful though ("I was killed by a Gauss round to the CT? Ya don't say...).

Edited by The Cheese, 06 February 2013 - 03:56 PM.

#77 Joanna Conners

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,206 posts
  • LocationEn Route to Terra

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:50 PM

Well said, Cheese. I really love the post-death tactical info. :D

#78 Megacromulent

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 185 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:26 PM

View PostDemona, on 06 February 2013 - 03:40 PM, said:

I think these are pretty minor complaints considering what's on the table. The 360 degree camera rotation has existed in prior Mech titles, as well as several of your other issues. It's all pretty normal and in-line with what you should be used to.Otherwise I think you're taking the game a little too seriously. It is, in fact, a game. Certain things may remind you of that from time to time and that's a good thing.

Yes, they are minor, in the grand scheme of things. But if that's what we have to suggest to the devs is only minor stuff, then YAH! That means things are going well...

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users