Do Ddcs Make Good Lrm Boats?

74 replies to this topic

Poll: Do DDCS make good LRM boats? (176 member(s) have cast votes)

Do DDCs make good lrm boats?

1. Yes, immune to non-tag LRM boats. (23 votes [8.16%])

Percentage of vote: 8.16%

2. Yes, in the hands of a skilled player they're deadly (36 votes [12.77%])

Percentage of vote: 12.77%

3. Not sure which LRM boat is killing me while I chase squirrels (10 votes [3.55%])

Percentage of vote: 3.55%

4. No, Catapults and Stalkers are better (51 votes [18.09%])

Percentage of vote: 18.09%

5. No, DDCs sitting 500m behind their team are a waste of an assault (101 votes [35.82%])

Percentage of vote: 35.82%

6. No, DDCs give up too much usefulness to load up on LRMs (61 votes [21.63%])

Percentage of vote: 21.63%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Dreamslave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts
  • LocationUpstate New York

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:24 PM

My teammates and I absolutely LOVE it when the enemy drop wastes an Assault with LRM's. Fast mover's harass and very quickly destroy the extremely slow moving, non-threatening-at-close-range "Assault" mech, whilst our real assault's are busy doing their jobs flattening the rest of their team one focus-fired mech at a time.

#22 One Medic Army

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:24 PM

View PostWispsy, on 06 February 2013 - 04:20 PM, said:

A DDC can stand 300m out and annihilate people, with a tag and artemis on 3x15s then you will do more dps to the centre torso then any direct fire weapon can achieve, back it up with a largepulse, ecm and loads of armour with a little clever positioning you will be able to tear through teams on your own.

If you actually do this in your D-DC atlas, then you have graduated from *worthless* (like standing 800m back and dying to a Jenner) to meerly *sub-optimal*.
I have no problems with sub-optimal, almost all of my mechs are sub-optimal.

One of my most enjoyable builds back in closed beta was an atlas with LRMs and mid-range weaponry. attempt to remain about 200-300m from the fight and let the LRMs rip giving people no time to dodge.

I am just tired of people who think that boating LRMs gives them an excuse to sit in the back ranks and whine at their team every time it doesn't work out. Doing such in an Atlas that could be so much more effective when played differently is even worse.

Edited by One Medic Army, 06 February 2013 - 04:25 PM.

#23 Soulscour

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:28 PM

View PostSkadi, on 06 February 2013 - 04:22 PM, said:

While i do think triple LRM-15 Atlas is still good, quad LRM-15 stalker is better.

The difference being, atlas and run counter ecm when a ecm light gets close and maintain the missile barrage.

#24 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:29 PM

No, don't waste one of our slots, and one of our good mechs, on a useless 'support' role, that's not gonna amount to anything.

#25 Irvine

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 289 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:30 PM

View PostGlythe, on 06 February 2013 - 04:17 PM, said:

There are two really great LRM boats in this game right now......

The DDC is one and the Stalker 5S is the other.

While the DDC has ECM it is negated by anyone who brings TAG. If you do not have TAG as a missile boat then you are severely gimping your damage potential.

Meanwhile the Stalker 5S has plenty of room for TAG, double AMS (2k ammo suggested) and 5 lasers. You can pack a lot of missiles and lasers into a stalker and really put some hurt on the enemy. The Stalker is a much harder target to hit at range due to its profile.

While I like the founders catapult it is really hard to compete with a platform that can hold twice as many launchers (stalker) and still be a close range death machine with TAG. The speed of the catapult is nice..... but it is often better to deliver devastating hits so you don't have to run. Barrages of 50+ missiles are hard to keep taking and survive.

3H is a better missile boat than the 3S. look at the missile tubes. Double AMS? use the OP hills

View PostVassago Rain, on 06 February 2013 - 04:29 PM, said:

No, don't waste one of our slots, and one of our good mechs, on a useless 'support' role, that's not gonna amount to anything.

says the man impervious to missiles

#26 Irvine

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 289 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:34 PM

View PostOne Medic Army, on 06 February 2013 - 04:24 PM, said:

If you actually do this in your D-DC atlas, then you have graduated from *worthless* (like standing 800m back and dying to a Jenner) to meerly *sub-optimal*.
I have no problems with sub-optimal, almost all of my mechs are sub-optimal.

One of my most enjoyable builds back in closed beta was an atlas with LRMs and mid-range weaponry. attempt to remain about 200-300m from the fight and let the LRMs rip giving people no time to dodge.

I am just tired of people who think that boating LRMs gives them an excuse to sit in the back ranks and whine at their team every time it doesn't work out. Doing such in an Atlas that could be so much more effective when played differently is even worse.

sitting 300-600m away with LOS is a great tactic to get all of the ALRM+Tag potential. Just finding a perch that allows for LOS while not being focused on decides how good your missile boat will perform.

#27 AMC Eagle

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 73 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:35 PM

I take a 2x LRM 15 w/ Artemis, 2 ER PPC DDC out often. It plays midrange, not backfield.

#28 One Medic Army

• 5,985 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:37 PM

View PostIrvine, on 06 February 2013 - 04:34 PM, said:

sitting 300-600m away with LOS is a great tactic to get all of the ALRM+Tag potential. Just finding a perch that allows for LOS while not being focused on decides how good your missile boat will perform.

Do that in a game against me and I will kill you with a Jenner, while your team is busy with my team 500m away.
Just saying.

#29 Irvine

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 289 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:40 PM

View PostOne Medic Army, on 06 February 2013 - 04:37 PM, said:

Do that in a game against me and I will kill you with a Jenner, while your team is busy with my team 500m away.
Just saying.

LOL I'm waiting... look for the C1

#30 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:43 PM

View PostIrvine, on 06 February 2013 - 04:30 PM, said:

3H is a better missile boat than the 3S. look at the missile tubes. Double AMS? use the OP hills

says the man impervious to missiles

I am, indeed, quite impervious to them.
Why don't you bring an LRM team to 8 manz and find out?

#31 One Medic Army

• 5,985 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:43 PM

View PostIrvine, on 06 February 2013 - 04:40 PM, said:

LOL I'm waiting... look for the C1

Ok, that's at least more difficult than an Atlas, those things have terrible turn rate and gigantic backsides.
Catapults you pretty much need to eat through their front armor if they're decent due to the huge torso twist.
I can still turn you from an LRM40 into 4 overheating ML trying to hit a Jenner though.

#32 Irvine

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 289 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:48 PM

View PostVassago Rain, on 06 February 2013 - 04:43 PM, said:

I am, indeed, quite impervious to them.
Why don't you bring an LRM team to 8 manz and find out?

I have, and it works great #teamwork

View PostOne Medic Army, on 06 February 2013 - 04:43 PM, said:

Ok, that's at least more difficult than an Atlas, those things have terrible turn rate and gigantic backsides.
Catapults you pretty much need to eat through their front armor if they're decent due to the huge torso twist.
I can still turn you from an LRM40 into 4 overheating ML trying to hit a Jenner though.

Nice try guessing my build, but try again. I will give you that lights are a pain in urban environments.

#33 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:49 PM

View PostIrvine, on 06 February 2013 - 04:48 PM, said:

I have, and it works great #teamwork

Nice try guessing my build, but try again. I will give you that lights are a pain in urban environments.

Oh, you have? When? Because I don't remember seeing effective LRMs in 8 manz outside of some ponies putting them on everything.

Are you part of said pony unit?

#34 Irvine

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 289 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:51 PM

View PostVassago Rain, on 06 February 2013 - 04:49 PM, said:

Oh, you have? When? Because I don't remember seeing effective LRMs in 8 manz outside of some ponies putting them on everything.

Are you part of said pony unit?

Nope not a brony, sorry to ruin your fantasy

#35 Alymbic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 600 posts
  • LocationSpace Australia

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:51 PM

Back in closed beta the D-DC was the king of LRM's. I have no idea how often I spammed 50 missiles over and over because they looked pretty :D

These days though, with Stalkers, Artemis and ECM, I would say that while you can use the D-DC has a effective LRM platform, I feel that the stalker is better. More laser hardpoints to back up the missiles, and its not like I ever used the ballistic hardpoints on the D-DC while LRMing.

I think another part of it too is the fact that people regard D-DC's as a waste unless they have ecm and are up close and personal with the foe. I have been in games where teammates or even the other team on chat have criticised people for bringing an Atlas that isn't a D-DC (as I have been before one time when I brought my founders Atlas into a fray), and you are in a serious world of hurt if you bring a non-ecm D-DC (which even I regard as a waste of potential, I mean, surely you can sacrifice 1.5 tons and 2 crits for an extra edge for yourself and your teammates).

Morale of the story - While you can LRM with a D-DC and do a lot of damage, you may be more effective in a mech more suited to that combat role, or may be more effective in a direct combat role. Note the emphasis on the word may, as I can only say in regards to my own LRM experience (which I admit I have spammed a lot in the past until the netcode and fps improved suffienctly enough to allowed me to be effective with another type of weapon)

Edited by Alymbic, 06 February 2013 - 04:52 PM.

#36 Abivard

• Shredder
  • 1,935 posts
  • LocationFree Rasalhague Republic

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:56 PM

right after ECM the DDC was an asset as a LRM, increased Tag range and stalker make the DDC LRM a liability, doesn't matter how good the pilot is, they would always do better in a Cat or stalker LRM build.

I do use LRM builds.

#37 PwnStars

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:03 PM

Technically, you can LRM boat in a DDC, but like others have said, it's going to be suboptimal. Other mechs do it better. Plus, what are you going to do with 2 ballistic HPs when you're LRM boating?

#38 Broceratops

• 1,903 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:38 PM

they make good lrm boats much like a raven makes a good ac/20 carrier.

which is to say, yes you can do it, but you can't kill others of your kind very effectively so then there is a pretty good risk your counterpart will run amuck throughout your team while you can only contribute in a substandard manner

#39 Rhent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:41 PM

View PostOne Medic Army, on 06 February 2013 - 03:30 PM, said:

If you want to boat LRMs in an assault, do it in a stalker.
You get MORE LRMs and better backup weapons!

Seriously, I make it my mission in life to find and destroy every D-DC LRM boat I can.

If you want to be at least marginally effective with it, you need a TAG, which means you have 1 energy slot left, and 2 ballistic slots. You will not be able to brawl very well, and you won't be able to stop light mechs from destroying you.

Compare to a Stalker which can mount 4 Medium Lasers with their 4 LRM15 racks, have a TAG, and still have an open weapon hardpoint. Lights are still a danger but 4 ML can drive one off if you're decent, and brawling 4ML can destroy damaged sections.

I love DDC LRM boats. As soon as I see the telltale signs of a DDC LRM boat (plume of LRM's with no radar blip) I hightale it over there for an easy kill.

I hope more people play DDC LRM boats, they are good eatin.

#40 Kaspirikay

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:50 PM

Its good, in the hands of an experienced player. Same with every mech in the game.

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users