Do Ddcs Make Good Lrm Boats?

74 replies to this topic

Poll: Do DDCS make good LRM boats? (176 member(s) have cast votes)

Do DDCs make good lrm boats?

1. Yes, immune to non-tag LRM boats. (23 votes [8.16%])

Percentage of vote: 8.16%

2. Yes, in the hands of a skilled player they're deadly (36 votes [12.77%])

Percentage of vote: 12.77%

3. Not sure which LRM boat is killing me while I chase squirrels (10 votes [3.55%])

Percentage of vote: 3.55%

4. No, Catapults and Stalkers are better (51 votes [18.09%])

Percentage of vote: 18.09%

5. No, DDCs sitting 500m behind their team are a waste of an assault (101 votes [35.82%])

Percentage of vote: 35.82%

6. No, DDCs give up too much usefulness to load up on LRMs (61 votes [21.63%])

Percentage of vote: 21.63%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 Rauchsauger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 225 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:07 AM

View PostBDU Havoc, on 07 February 2013 - 05:51 AM, said:

I've had a lot of fun with my current build:

Gauss
UAC5
2 LLAS
3 SSRM2s

Good ranged damage with the Gauss and UAC5 and the LLAS once you get a bit closer, and the 3 SSRM2s + ECCM keeps the lights off of you.

since the patch lights can be hit with ballistics so i traded the ssrm with the srm to further my brawl potential
(also sometimes i wish the ssrm back XD )

#62 Havyek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • 1,349 posts
  • LocationBarrie, ON

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:17 AM

View PostRauchsauger, on 07 February 2013 - 06:07 AM, said:

since the patch lights can be hit with ballistics so i traded the ssrm with the srm to further my brawl potential
(also sometimes i wish the ssrm back XD )

I don't really worry about the brawl potential with the LLAS and the UAC5/GR combo.
Plus the SSRMs are lighter, and let me save ammo so I added more DHS and UAC5 ammo.

#63 Rauchsauger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 225 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:34 AM

View PostBDU Havoc, on 07 February 2013 - 06:17 AM, said:

I don't really worry about the brawl potential with the LLAS and the UAC5/GR combo.
Plus the SSRMs are lighter, and let me save ammo so I added more DHS and UAC5 ammo.

that is true I shall try this today :)

#64 Uzi Foo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 103 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:26 AM

Double uac5 isn't bad, but ac20 is better if you can aim. Glass gauss is just bad for brawling.

#65 Havyek

• Mercenary Rank 3
  • 1,349 posts
  • LocationBarrie, ON

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:33 AM

View PostRauchsauger, on 07 February 2013 - 06:34 AM, said:

that is true I shall try this today :)

Don't forget CASE in your torso if you're using the GR.

#66 VXJaeger

• The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 1,582 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:41 AM

I use mine as Jack-of-all-trades, kills enemies to any distance needed and delivers LRM-support fire where ever asked.
2xMPL, 1xLBX, 1x SSRM, 2xLRM15.

#67 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:42 AM

Good. Not great. there aren't enough laser hard points for 2nd weapons in my opinion.

#68 Kunae

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,303 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:49 AM

PUG = Hell no, it's a waste of an assault.
8-man = Sure, if it floats your boat. As there is no weight-class matching, it's up to you what you bring.

#69 M4NTiC0R3X

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:52 AM

When I see you on my team, I'm not counting you as part of the equation, but I'll count you as a good distraction for the other team.

Well this part of the equation may, with ease, get 1000+ damage. So I think you should cover his arse with direct fire and do your best to pull the enemies out of the hills and into the fray... but that's just me apparently.

It's no wonder this fragile build can die so easily when I get teammates who don't think I'm there!
[it's mostly about where you, and your team position themselves on the battlefield]

Edited by M4NTiC0R3X, 07 February 2013 - 08:12 AM.

#70 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:00 AM

View PostTaizan, on 06 February 2013 - 03:22 PM, said:

AC/20 3 X SRM6 seems to be the popular D-DC build, that's all I saw tonight ^^

I changed mine up after the patch. AC/20, 3xSRM4, and 2 Large Pulse. Ran it all night, actually runs cooler than SRM6 build and doesn't really sacrifice anything but 4kph of speed. Now it only runs at a blistering 58.8kph.

#71 toxx1790

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:03 AM

When I see an LRM atlas when I'm PUGing I die a little inside.

#72 Kunae

• 4,303 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:04 AM

View Posttoxx1790, on 07 February 2013 - 08:03 AM, said:

When I see an LRM atlas when I'm PUGing I die a little inside.

I laugh, and giggle. Easy assault-kill incoming! ;)

#73 Ricama

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:10 AM

It's not that I don't like people putting LRM's on an Atlas, I don't like it when people think they should put 25 tons of heatsinks and ammo with it instead of more weapons. If you're only going to mount 21 tons of actual weapons on an Atlas prepare to get laughed at.

#74 Mycrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:41 AM

in general i think that assault mechs are better suited for strike rather than support roles...

#75 Wispsy

• Talon
  • Talon
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:52 PM

As an atlas especially now with the netcode fix as long as the light mech is not significantly better then you, taking out his leg or ct with a single large pulse laser should not be too difficult, every glancing blow to get will hurt them, noticeably.

All thee anecdotal stories of why ddcs are terrible missile boats appear to come from watching bad players do nothing useful hundreds of meters from everybody else... You still have ECM, an lrm boat can use ECM even more effectively then a brawler, as they can still be useful standing far back covering snipers or up in the brawl.

I want you to look at the firepower number given by lrms. It is huge, bigger then anything else. Now, if you tag somebody all of that damage will hit their ct. Literally(cannot remember if this now requires Artemis or not to be fair, by I use it). If you get in a straight up fight with somebody with direct fire weapons, both start firing at once, the ONLY way they will win is by a headshot or minimum range. So, as an atlas is exceedingly difficult to headshot when they know it might be coming, and lrms allow you I torso twist freely whilst firing, all it takes is a little good positioning (and ECM is more helpful then you could imagine, having more medlas will not save you anywhere near as much as having an ECM) and enemies that are not 100% poptarters with ECM cover(everything can be countered right :mellow:) and you ddc assault can be far more useful then standard facehug atlas builds.

Ofc now a lot of people say they have lost because they had an lrm atlas miles out from both teams just shooting rocks....well let me tell you now, those players could be put into any mech ever and still be zero help to the team, if you cannot carry them as an lrm boat you would still lose no matter what they had.

23 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 23 guests, 0 anonymous users