Do Ddcs Make Good Lrm Boats?

74 replies to this topic

Poll: Do DDCS make good LRM boats? (176 member(s) have cast votes)

Do DDCs make good lrm boats?

1. Yes, immune to non-tag LRM boats. (23 votes [8.16%])

Percentage of vote: 8.16%

2. Yes, in the hands of a skilled player they're deadly (36 votes [12.77%])

Percentage of vote: 12.77%

3. Not sure which LRM boat is killing me while I chase squirrels (10 votes [3.55%])

Percentage of vote: 3.55%

4. No, Catapults and Stalkers are better (51 votes [18.09%])

Percentage of vote: 18.09%

5. No, DDCs sitting 500m behind their team are a waste of an assault (101 votes [35.82%])

Percentage of vote: 35.82%

6. No, DDCs give up too much usefulness to load up on LRMs (61 votes [21.63%])

Percentage of vote: 21.63%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Training Instructor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:46 PM

Sorry if the original post was so hostile.....played too many games over the past few days with the magically disappearing DDC lrm boat pug teammate who was standing behind a hill somewhere, firing missiles at almost max range, turning big rocks into small rocks mostly.

If you keep up with your teammates, while hanging in the back and looking for clear lines of sight, you can do okay as an LRM boat ddc. You can do a lot more if you use those ballistics and lasers though, provided you have good aim and positioning.

#42 elbloom

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:10 AM

I hate these camping, assault slot wasting noob army of LRM DDCs... sometimes they even got the guts to follow the team to the frontline and fall back on first contact like 500m.

When you don´t notice you can be toast.

Now, whenever i have one of those tards on my team and notice it early enuff, I GLUE myself to them and use them as meatshields. 90% i can get a kill this way, even when we loose.

Too bad most dumb PUGs don´t notice and run off while the lrm-ddc-***** just camps the base, then we are two lone campers and my team gets annihilated early :)

#43 King Arthur IV

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:32 AM

i think its pretty strong because of the way the missile pod is set up. it fires in pretty tight groups and its a lrm boat that can take care of itself while the rest of the team can run around. it is also nice to have ecm to run back to if your retreating.

i wouldn't suggest having too many ddc lrm boats in one team because you still need a tank in the front line but one is good.

#44 Ralgas

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,628 posts
  • LocationThe Wonderful world of OZ

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:44 AM

as a fulltime puger i hate most assault lrmboats simply because of how they are used, imo should be still wading in to cop some flak and be a target of oppertunity while stopping outside the 250-300m mark of a battle. You drop with only a couple of assaults and they all hang back at max range looking for targets while the other teams wade in it usually make for a pretty convincing whitewash, and if they have enough cohesion to sit in an ecm bubble..........

Edited by Ralgas, 07 February 2013 - 12:45 AM.

#45 WalkingDeathBot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 459 posts
  • LocationLooking for Paul so as to troll him

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:45 AM

I've come up with a build I like.

2x AC/2
1x ErLrgLaser
tag
3x lrm 15 with artemis

add on the sensor range module, and the target decay module and you tear things up. Bottom line the longer you stay alive the more dmg you do. Yeah I hang out around 200 - 300 meters out, but I start laying damage on well before that with long range. I can lay on the ac/2s and the er laz when I get boxed in and this is the only mech where I can regularly get more than 1,000 dmg.

#46 Denniz0229

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:09 AM

View PostTaizan, on 06 February 2013 - 03:22 PM, said:

AC/20 3 X SRM6 seems to be the popular D-DC build, that's all I saw tonight ^^

swap de ac20 for 2 ultra ac5 and you've got the best DDC build in game IMO.
with the 2 ultra ac5 you can shoot from long range and if one jams... well you still got another.
this racks up more damage then an ac20 with a huge reload time.

also, leave the LRM boating to stalkers or catapults.
to many times i see an atlas stand back at 500-600m and ONLY firing LRM, this is just a waste of firepower.

#47 OneEyed Jack

• 2,500 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:23 AM

View PostOne Medic Army, on 06 February 2013 - 03:30 PM, said:

Compare to a Stalker which can mount 4 Medium Lasers with their 4 LRM15 racks, have a TAG, and still have an open weapon hardpoint. Lights are still a danger but 4 ML can drive one off if you're decent, and brawling 4ML can destroy damaged sections.

You mean compare it to the mech with no arms that has the turn speed and radius of an oil tanker? Yeah, Stalkers are REAL good at defending themselves from lights. :)

D-DC meakes a good missile boat because it can carry and fire a significant number, can absorb a couple return volleys without too much worry and brings it's own ECM instead of hoping someone else brings one for them. Is it the best at firing missiles? No. But it's the best compromise between effectiveness and giving your boats ECM cover.

And when the ever-flowing tide of pugdom shifts for a few days to a heavy LRM meta, it's a better use of an assault mech than trudging slowly across the wide firing lanes to the enemy's entrenched position while taking every LRM they can fire... or standing there waiting, hoping that your LRM boats are better than theirs. Because, contrary to the trolls' considered opinion about LRMs and skill, there's a huge difference between someone who can fire missiles and someone who can hit with them effectively.

#48 One Medic Army

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:28 AM

View PostOneEyed Jack, on 07 February 2013 - 01:23 AM, said:

You mean compare it to the mech with no arms that has the turn speed and radius of an oil tanker? Yeah, Stalkers are REAL good at defending themselves from lights. :)

Still better than an atlas with 1 arm laser and 2 ballistics...
If you don't run a TAG with one of your 2 energy slots then good luck hitting anything under an ECM shield.
Seriously, I've been running a Jenner the past few days, I have yet to see the missile boat D-DC that could do more than scratch my paint once I got inside missile range.

Edited by One Medic Army, 07 February 2013 - 01:28 AM.

#49 Tzukasa

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 118 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:29 AM

no No and NO. They are a complete waste of your team's assault tonage not to mention they are completely worthless vs ppl with brains. Ams/Ecm and Freeking Terrain + closing under 180m's from flanking make them utter crap imo and if you are running one in an atlas you are screwing your team over plus missing the whole point of an atlas and an Assault's point. Which of course is to Assault the enemy position soaking up dmg up in front. Almost every single time I see an altas lrm boat on one team and an atlas brawler on the other the lrm team Loses heh.

Edited by Tzukasa, 07 February 2013 - 01:30 AM.

#50 Misfit73

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:59 AM

I dont like the D-DC as a LRM-boat, its lacking the energy hardpoints for TAG and backup-weapons. So with 2 LRM20 you are wasting a missile hardpoint plus 1-2 ballistic hardpoints, whats left is a 100t 2 LRM20 / 2 Laser mech. There are simply more effective setups for the D-DC.

#51 Kmieciu

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:38 AM

View PostWispsy, on 06 February 2013 - 04:20 PM, said:

A DDC can stand 300m out and annihilate people, with a tag and artemis on 3x15s then you will do more dps to the centre torso then any direct fire weapon can achieve, back it up with a largepulse, ecm and loads of armour with a little clever positioning you will be able to tear through teams on your own.

It only takes one ECM Raven to counter both a Stalker and an Awesome from firing their LRMs. A single Raven cannot stop an Atlas from firing his LRMs.

3xLRM15 with Artemis is more deadly than 4xLRM15 without Artemis.

A mastered Atlas D-DC has 4 module slots. (so you can have all the best ones)

Atlas has better hitboxes than both Stalker and an Awesome. It can use it`s arms to block incoming fire in between firing LRM volleys. A Stalker can torso twist all day long and it still can be reliably hit in the side torso. Atlas is simply the most durable mech in MWO.

View PostOne Medic Army, on 06 February 2013 - 03:30 PM, said:

If you want to boat LRMs in an assault, do it in a stalker.
You get MORE LRMs and better backup weapons!

Seriously, I make it my mission in life to find and destroy every D-DC LRM boat I can.

If you want to be at least marginally effective with it, you need a TAG, which means you have 1 energy slot left, and 2 ballistic slots. You will not be able to brawl very well, and you won't be able to stop light mechs from destroying you.

Compare to a Stalker which can mount 4 Medium Lasers with their 4 LRM15 racks, have a TAG, and still have an open weapon hardpoint. Lights are still a danger but 4 ML can drive one off if you're decent, and brawling 4ML can destroy damaged sections.

For solo pugging, I recommend TAG+ERPPC. For team play 2xLarge laser is more useful. Just keep 180-450 meters distance to the enemy an you`re golden.

And when a Raven tries to backstab you, your firiend can use his trusty Jenner with 4xML 2xSSRM to tear him apart, because his ECM is countered. And with decent scouts on our team, it`s really rarely the case. LRM15+Artemis makes short work of pesky light mechs running for our lines.

And a final thought: since the netcode isn`t prefect yet, the perfect "tank" is a mech with lots of armor moving at high speed. With concentrated fire an Atlas can die in seconds. But a 6xSRM6 Catapult can move at about 82 kph, use jumpjets and torso twist so fast that it actually takes more shots to kill than an Atlas @ 50 kph.

So in my opinion Atlas does not make the best brawler, but it certainly is the best support armed with 3xLRM15+Artemis +2x LL. I would not call it a boat though, because it simply uses the combination of the two most deadly weapons at that range.

Edited by Kmieciu, 07 February 2013 - 03:40 AM.

#52 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:44 AM

3 LRM 15 together with TAG feel good...but without team mates - that have direct firing capabilitys your are lost. And you don't have firepower...i fired 3 - 4 salvos, each supported by tag into a onslaught of an Atlas, before he was able to close - i did only light damage.
Thats the reason why i droped my LRM von 45 per volley to 20...but with much more short range and direct fire capabilitys - works much better for me.

Edited by Karl Streiger, 07 February 2013 - 03:45 AM.

#53 Kmieciu

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:06 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 07 February 2013 - 03:44 AM, said:

3 LRM 15 together with TAG feel good...but without team mates - that have direct firing capabilitys your are lost. And you don't have firepower...i fired 3 - 4 salvos, each supported by tag into a onslaught of an Atlas, before he was able to close - i did only light damage.
Thats the reason why i droped my LRM von 45 per volley to 20...but with much more short range and direct fire capabilitys - works much better for me.

Try 2xLL+3xLRM15+Artemis.

#54 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:08 AM

View PostKmieciu, on 07 February 2013 - 04:06 AM, said:

Try 2xLL+3xLRM15+Artemis.

Must be even worse...because without TAG i'm not able to break the ECM cover...again i need a other LRM boat right to my side (for example the Stalker) that features a TAG

#55 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:12 AM

As an LRM boat it's good, you need tag however, so you only have one energy hardpoint left, so it'll be very bad at all other things.

Edited by Flapdrol, 07 February 2013 - 04:13 AM.

#56 LoganMkv

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • 93 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:30 AM

I don't care if DDC boats lrms or machienguns/narcs/tags/baps/command consoles as long as team has an ecm counter nearby. If your team has another sane eccm, feel free to do whatever you want, otherwise stay close, that's it.

#57 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:38 AM

View PostWispsy, on 06 February 2013 - 03:20 PM, said:

DDC is the best LRM boat. If you think it is a waste of an assault you are not doing it right.

i think the Stalker will give it a run though. As it can boat more launchers. people who try to bully players to play "their way" offend me. If you are not thinking a Atlas with 3 LRM15s is an asset to the team the problem is you and not the Atlas. On most Mechs giving up one ton is nothing. And having a TAG can make your possible Missile boat an extended weapon YOU can wield.

there is a metric shat ton of selfish thinking here. You are dropping in a team game. Act like a team mate.

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 07 February 2013 - 04:40 AM.

#58 Rauchsauger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 225 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:41 AM

View PostDenniz0229, on 07 February 2013 - 01:09 AM, said:

swap de ac20 for 2 ultra ac5 and you've got the best DDC build in game IMO.
with the 2 ultra ac5 you can shoot from long range and if one jams... well you still got another.
this racks up more damage then an ac20 with a huge reload time.

also, leave the LRM boating to stalkers or catapults.
to many times i see an atlas stand back at 500-600m and ONLY firing LRM, this is just a waste of firepower.

I played 2 UAC5 with 3 ssrm and 2 mlas as a counter vs lights
then i played ac20 3 srm6 with 2 erllas
now i LOVE my gauss uac5 3 srm6 2mlas

#59 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:45 AM

View PostRauchsauger, on 07 February 2013 - 04:41 AM, said:

All good builds

#60 Havyek

• Mercenary Rank 3
  • 1,349 posts
  • LocationBarrie, ON

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:51 AM

I don't have a problem with the DDC as a LRM boat, what I have a problem with is DDCs standing off by themselves, instead of beside the other LRM boats so that they can fire and get target locks as well.

With the tonnage available on the DDC, I don't understand why people will load it up with 3 LRM15s and 2 MLAS.

2 PPCs and 3 LRM15s is a good ranged build, providing both LRM support and direct fire support.
It can also get kills instead of simply dishing out damage.

Please quit justifying the LRM DDC by simply saying "I get top damage!" Anyone with any skill knows that top damage != top contribution.

View PostRauchsauger, on 07 February 2013 - 04:41 AM, said:

I've had a lot of fun with my current build:

Gauss
UAC5
2 LLAS
3 SSRM2s

Good ranged damage with the Gauss and UAC5 and the LLAS once you get a bit closer, and the 3 SSRM2s + ECCM keeps the lights off of you.

15 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 15 guests, 0 anonymous users