Which Centurion?

81 replies to this topic

#21 Skadi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts
  • LocationUtgarde Pinnacle

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:10 PM

Another poor soul attempts to drive my target practice...

#22 Kserin

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:41 PM

I dislike the AL compared to A and D. Best setup I found was 2 ML 2 PPC... I tried LRMs, which wasn't bad, but it wasn't my playstyle. I hate it when I score less than top 2 in damage (unless I'm playing a light), and LRMs just weren't reliable enough to do that. They have a role though, so if I was dropping in a larger group it may have more potential (8mans).

#23 TheFlyingScotsman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:33 PM

The strongest aspect of the AL is the comibation of 2E slots in RA and a very large and well designed shield arm for LA. That shield is essential to survival.

Weapons that require continuous covergance to deal damage dont stand up as well as shoot and twist when placed in the Torsos. Having to directly face your enemy for more than a second is dangerous.

RA on the AL can make some serious dents without exposing your center or RA.

Edited by TheFlyingScotsman, 10 February 2013 - 02:33 PM.

#24 Pilot formerly known as Kerensky

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:58 PM

View PosttortuousGoddess, on 10 February 2013 - 06:31 AM, said:

And if you read the post you'd have seen that I said to get speed tweak and an upgraded engine as soon as possible.

The standard engines on the Centurion are a waste of tonnage. Do not use them.

XL engines in a Centurion are suicide. Do not use them. You can make up the tonnage with Endo Steel and Ferro Fibrous, and still have enough room to max out on SRM6 racks and medium lasers with a decent standard engine. For the A and AL, you're looking at a 260, and I haven't had a go at the D to see what's good for it. Probably an engine that weighs two more tons than the AL's.

#25 CrossingRover

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:58 PM

View PostTheFlyingScotsman, on 10 February 2013 - 02:33 PM, said:

The strongest aspect of the AL is the comibation of 2E slots in RA and a very large and well designed shield arm for LA. That shield is essential to survival.

Weapons that require continuous covergance to deal damage dont stand up as well as shoot and twist when placed in the Torsos. Having to directly face your enemy for more than a second is dangerous.

RA on the AL can make some serious dents without exposing your center or RA.

Yes, after using my 9a for a good while, I have gotten pretty good at twisting the shield arm when I come under fire. My only problem is when I use it to cover my retreats, I cannot see where I am going and often get stuck on the terrain, leading to my demise. I actually think I am going to revise both of my Centurion builds. I was going to replicate the NGNG "Whack-A-Mole" build on my 9A, as seen here On the AL I was going to see if I can work out something using 2 ML, 2 PPC, and 2 LRM 5. I think that the two variants will be different enough that I can get two very different gameplay styles while still working on mastering the Centurion.

Edited by CrossingRover, 10 February 2013 - 02:59 PM.

#26 Wrenchfarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:02 PM

I love the Cents. IMO the CN9-AL is the most interesting and flexible. You can convert it to carry 2xLLAS in the RA, 3xMLAS, TAG, and some LRMs for mini-missile truck duty, or a ghetto HBK-4SP (which is a waste). Very fun mech. Just be sure to get a 250 engine and DHS.

The CN9-A can net you great results with the popular 3xSRM build. A little by the numbers, but very effective.

The CN9-D is not as great IMO. Fun to run around superfast, but packing an XL significantly shortens a Cents longevity.

And lastly, the YLW is a great option if you like Cents and want a Hero mech. Don't believe the hate, with a 250engine and an AC20, the YLW is a deadly striker on the field (just gotta keep that arm attached)

#27 Kempner

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:03 PM

Can anyone suggest builds for a poor sod who's new to the game and doesn't have the credits to buy an XL engine?

(Maybe I shouldn't have, but I got myself both the A and the AL, which ate up all my newbie extra credits, instead of getting an XL engine.)

What do you take out of a Cent build in order to be able to fit in a 260 engine?

#28 Hyzoran

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 153 posts
  • LocationCohoes, NY

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:23 PM

I have a yen-lo with an xl 270 giving me a speed of around 87kmph, with 2mpls, an AC10, and AC2, its a pretty solid mech for medium range and brawling, gotta becareful about your side torsos, but its only really a problem if players are using spread weapons such as LBXs and SRMs under 150m range. Its not a frontline role though, it works best as flanking or fast response support role. Ive noticed though for some reason it seems to be excellently effective against dragons.

Edited by Hyzoran, 10 February 2013 - 03:23 PM.

#29 Wrenchfarm

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:43 PM

View PostHyzoran, on 10 February 2013 - 03:23 PM, said:

I have a yen-lo with an xl 270 giving me a speed of around 87kmph, with 2mpls, an AC10, and AC2, its a pretty solid mech for medium range and brawling, gotta becareful about your side torsos, but its only really a problem if players are using spread weapons such as LBXs and SRMs under 150m range. Its not a frontline role though, it works best as flanking or fast response support role. Ive noticed though for some reason it seems to be excellently effective against dragons.

Really don't like the XL in the YLW. You can use Endo, Ferro, DHS, and fit a 250STD in with the AC20, 4 tons of ammo, and 2xMLAS. 89KPH with speedtweak, so not a huge diff in speed and you spare yourself the side torso vulnerability (not to mention the cbills on the XL)

View PostKempner, on 10 February 2013 - 03:03 PM, said:

Can anyone suggest builds for a poor sod who's new to the game and doesn't have the credits to buy an XL engine?

(Maybe I shouldn't have, but I got myself both the A and the AL, which ate up all my newbie extra credits, instead of getting an XL engine.)

What do you take out of a Cent build in order to be able to fit in a 260 engine?

Sure thing! You may not be able to afford the XL, but try and save up for a regular 250STD. It isn't that expensive and is useful in a ton of builds - most good Cent and Hunchback builds run it. The reason is two-fold. 1)SPEED. 2) The 250 comes with 10 internal heatsinks, so you don't have to slot anymore into your mech if you don't want to (important on some edge builds like the YLW one I mentioned). But more importantly, internal engine DHS heatsinks run at a true 2.0 value, as opposed to the 1.4 ones you drop in (and take up 3 slots.) If you are just a ton or two shy of fitting in a 250 engine, it is often a better value to drop a few heat sinks to make the weight - you'll actually come out ahead with both speed and heat management.

You can replicate the SRMbomb build in the CN9-A just by dropping the AC2. I know it may seem weird to just run around with 2xMLAS and 3xSRM6, but trust me, it's all you need. A little armour is trimmed from the legs and like 2 points off the empty cannon arm.

This CN9-AL build is very simple and very effective. Use those LLAS and the sheild arm right, and you can lay out crazy targeted damage in a match. Deceptively powerful.

This is a more unorthodox CN9-AL build I enjoy. Don't play it like a conventional LRMboat, you want to stay around the 300-500m range where you can really watch things with TAG and even add in your MLAS.

#30 Kserin

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:46 PM

View PostKempner, on 10 February 2013 - 03:03 PM, said:

CN9-A: CN9-A

I haven't found a AL build I'm satisfied with. It may be that the playstyle doesn't fit me, but at the least that 9-A build will get you places.

#31 TheFlyingScotsman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:47 PM

I keep hearing that XL Engines are suicide. More precarious, perhaps, but nothing carefully piloting cant avoid.

I keep hammering this point down, but here you go: Medium mechs are not intended to take heavy fire. If you are taking heavy fire, you or your team is doing it wrong. If you feel that going on a zombie rampage (Which doesnt work as well with RA only AL builds) is such a hugely beneficial ability that you cannot make yourself use a max XL engine, you are taking way too much guff to begin with, and no amount of zedturion can save you from your ineffectuality. Speed on mediums isnt for chasing or rushing, it's for keeping you in cover and matching speed with the other mechs in your main group.

Mediums, Are, Not, Brawlers. They are not peekers, they are not soloers, they are not e-z gank machines, they are not battering rams, they are not distractions, they are NOT designed to take hits to begin with. If you are playing a medium, your role is supporting heavies and assaults with extra fire and with light/medium removal.

As a mere 40-50 ton platform, tons are at a premium. Do not waste them simply because you don't know how to stay alive.

#32 Kempner

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:56 PM

Thanks guys. :P Bookmarking this thread.

#33 Ratpoison

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 851 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:19 PM

View PostStingz, on 10 February 2013 - 07:18 AM, said:

XL means a really easy kill, and a waste of the CT Laser slots. The Centurion hitbox is too big for XL engines other than the -D.

Completely incorrect. Only the paranoid, inexperienced Centurion pilots who don't know how to block use STD engines in Centurions. Your side torsos are tiny. You have giant arms. Use those advantages and don't stand around like a moron, and your XL engine isn't a liability. I've spent tens of millions of C-Bills trying every Centurion build you could possibly consider building, and every sign points to using XL engines in every situation. The popular "zombie Centurion" build that involves sacrificing your ballistic so you can run 3 SRM6's, 2 med lasers, and a standard engine is a nerf build. The side torsos are far too small to try and block with, and not having a ballistic really hurts your pinpoint damage output. The reason why it's popular is obvious after testing it extensively: it's incredibly easy to pilot. If you have an ounce of blocking skill, however, it's a nerf build.

#34 Dizzywig

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:29 PM

Hey all, back from some testing of my CN9-A, and holey moley did the SRMbomb build do a number on several mechs. A Gausscat got my left torso while I wasn't looking at the end of the round, so I could've pumped a bit more damage if it wasn't for that.

Posted Image

Thanks for all your suggestions! I'm pretty comfortable with my CN9-A now, might try the CN9-AL down the line once I've maxed my A's basic tree.

#35 Methuselah Honeysuckle

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 81 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSammich Isles

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:37 PM

I've been using the Centurions since I started playing a week ago. My first was the A where I was still learning the basics, but I didn't do well with it. I did better with the AL since lasers are more forgiving for my crappy aim, but I think I did best with the stock D for my play style where I ended up most matches having to scout and cap with the lack of light mechs. Now I'm just messing around with various builds on all 3 variants since none of the other mechs really interest me.

So far I've kept my builds to just weapons and haven't upgraded engines, etc. No success as a sniper with a Gauss rifle and LRMs so I stick to medium range stuff. I don't get though why some people are saying that XL engines work best with the D when they all have the same form. Am I missing something?

#36 Dizzywig

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:41 PM

View Postuckfred, on 10 February 2013 - 06:37 PM, said:

I don't get though why some people are saying that XL engines work best with the D when they all have the same form. Am I missing something?

You can fit up to an XL 390 engine onto a D, giving you a bit of the speed tank of lights. I guess with the right setup, you can be an effective scout with some light killing capabilities.

#37 Stingz

• 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:22 PM

View PosttortuousGoddess, on 10 February 2013 - 04:19 PM, said:

Completely incorrect. Only the paranoid, inexperienced Centurion pilots who don't know how to block use STD engines in Centurions. Your side torsos are tiny. You have giant arms. Use those advantages and don't stand around like a moron, and your XL engine isn't a liability. I've spent tens of millions of C-Bills trying every Centurion build you could possibly consider building, and every sign points to using XL engines in every situation. The popular "zombie Centurion" build that involves sacrificing your ballistic so you can run 3 SRM6's, 2 med lasers, and a standard engine is a nerf build. The side torsos are far too small to try and block with, and not having a ballistic really hurts your pinpoint damage output. The reason why it's popular is obvious after testing it extensively: it's incredibly easy to pilot. If you have an ounce of blocking skill, however, it's a nerf build.

I have killed too many opponents with only the 2 M.Las in the CT on my -AL. DHS and endo save enough to run a STD 255-260. (Lasers are light)

The -A might need the XL more since ballistics are heavy though. CN9-D of course for the speed, otherwise why use it at all.

I'll probably spend some C-Bills on a CN9-A again while I wait for the Trebuchet, to see if an XL is worth using on ballistic builds.

Edited by Stingz, 10 February 2013 - 07:26 PM.

#38 Hex Pallett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:42 PM

View PostPilot formerly known as Kerensky, on 10 February 2013 - 02:58 PM, said:

XL engines in a Centurion are suicide. Do not use them.

Really? I hunt Lights all day long with my 9A and do not feel like suiciding.

#39 Abe07

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:13 PM

So, I am a big fan of Centurions and I've found a build that works for me.

CN9-A
STD 240
Endo
Ferro
DHS
Max armor

2 x Medium Lasers
2 x SRM 4
1 x Ultra AC 5

3 tons AC ammo
2 tons SRM ammo

I could probably free up the tonnage for a 250, but the speed isn't that much greater and I can hit 85 with the speed tweak. I play it like most do, as a support mech for heavies and assaults. I'll plod along behind a big fella until the shooting starts, then look for targets of opportunity. The thing I find fascinating about these mechs is that very few people consider them a serious threat at first. So while the heavies are slugging it out, I can find a vulnerable mech and just chew him up. The UAC can be a little temperamental, but it is an effective weapon.

As for the XL debate, I don't think you should underestimate how valuable a Zombie Cent with its two medium lasers can be. Centurions can take a lot of punishment if you play it right. You may not do much damage, but you can still fight (while an XL would be dead) and more importantly you can still be a target by drawing fire away from your still heavily armed, but nearly cored Atlas.

Edited by Abe07, 10 February 2013 - 08:14 PM.

#40 TheFlyingScotsman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:36 PM

I agree that the CN9 can take a beating when piloted correctly, but you don't need a STD to get it done. Obviously, if it works for you, don't change it. I just hate seeing people underestimate how useful they are. When you do it right, having an XL is of little or no risk.

As for zombies with MLs, yeah, they can do some damage. But you can do just as much extra damage per game with the extra weight from the XL. You will still do plenty of damage for the round, even if there is a chance you wont live as long. And a careful pilot who can survive using an XL has that much more weight to throw around.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users