Which Centurion?

81 replies to this topic

#41 Abe07

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:45 PM

Stamina vs Power. A very old debate that doesn't have a real definitive answer. You should absolutely use an XL if it works for you.

Edited by Abe07, 10 February 2013 - 09:19 PM.

#42 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:10 PM

I run a STD255 in my Wang. 90 kph w/speed tweak.

I generally don't like arm ballistics, especially the small ones the Centurions can mount. They're hard to aim on the run and just don't do enough damage imo. The Wang is the exception. I'm really liking it.

Still not sure what to do with my CN9-D though. So far I've just loaded SRM6s + MLs with an XL360 to run around blasting people like those annoying CN9-A pilots, but that gets boring pretty fast. I might sell it now that I've got the basics.

#43 Pihb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:31 PM

Get the A. Dbl HS, a normal 260, 2 med lasers and 3 srm6's. You are fast, you hit pretty hard, and you are durable. people will waste their time shooting your ballistic arm. Basically hang with the pack and make slashing attacks. its hands down my favorite mech.

edited for my own dumbassery

Edited by Pihb, 10 February 2013 - 11:32 PM.

#44 0Life

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:46 PM

View PosttortuousGoddess, on 10 February 2013 - 06:31 AM, said:

And if you read the post you'd have seen that I said to get speed tweak and an upgraded engine as soon as possible.

The standard engines on the Centurion are a waste of tonnage. Do not use them.

I have to disagree with this. When I run my CN9-A it uses a standard engine. In fact the mech is almost completely stock. I picked up Endo and DHS on it and used some saved weight to go to a STD 225 +1 DHS (for obvious reasons). If you keep discipline and play to the support role that this mech is intended for, it can really shine with a standard engine and going less than 90 KPH. My CN9-D is currently stock as I save up for Endo on the Marmot I bought shortly before getting my CN9-D, but once I have that, the CN9-D is getting DHS. HE of 1.05 is sub-optimal unless all you are doing is lobbing out your LRMs till they run dry and the supporting someone heavier than you, or Hunchback/Centurion.

Standard engines can be a gift of the Gods when you are involved with direct contact against an Assault or Light mech. If your torso gets melted/exploded off, you are still in the fight, rather than waiting for the tow-mech to drag your sorry chassis away.

That is not to say that XL Engines are terrible or useless, they just require a less aggressive style of play, limiting you to always looking to sneak up on your opponents, rather than trying to soak some fire to save the slower Heavies and Assaults that cannot get away from a fight.

The choice of STD or XL engines really boils down to play style. If you find that you are good with the extra speed and fragility conferred by an XL then use that. If you find that the steadier aim and reliability of the STD is more your game, then go with that. Just do not make the mistake of thinking that one engine type is useless because of one thing or another. They both have strengths as well as weaknesses. Learn to play the role you build for rather than thinking there is only one way to win.

#45 Wrenchfarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:10 AM

View PosttortuousGoddess, on 10 February 2013 - 04:19 PM, said:

Completely incorrect. Only the paranoid, inexperienced Centurion pilots who don't know how to block use STD engines in Centurions. Your side torsos are tiny. You have giant arms. Use those advantages and don't stand around like a moron, and your XL engine isn't a liability. I've spent tens of millions of C-Bills trying every Centurion build you could possibly consider building, and every sign points to using XL engines in every situation. The popular "zombie Centurion" build that involves sacrificing your ballistic so you can run 3 SRM6's, 2 med lasers, and a standard engine is a nerf build. The side torsos are far too small to try and block with, and not having a ballistic really hurts your pinpoint damage output. The reason why it's popular is obvious after testing it extensively: it's incredibly easy to pilot. If you have an ounce of blocking skill, however, it's a nerf build.

I disagree and I think your post reeks of arrogance.

I'm an experienced Cent pilot and I only run XL in a few builds that absolutely need the tonnage. I've run the XL SRMbomb and the value of the AC2 is questionable. It can be nice to add some damage at a distance, but it shouldn't be your focus and it isn't indispensable. The majority of your damage should and will be from the SRM packs, anything that helps you deliver that payload - like say another arm and side torso to block shots with - is beneficial.

When I look at the Cent's skinny CT and large wingblade shoulders, I can only think it's a waste of it potential survivability to put an XL in there. If it was a light and there was just no way to mount a decent weapons kit on it without an XL, I wouldn't mind so much. But the fact that with a little selectiveness you can mount more than enough gun to get the job done with a STD engine, I don't see why you would take on the vulnerability. It isn't about mounting the absolute maximum number of weapons you can, it's about being effective with what you have.

#46 LordDante

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 782 posts
  • Locationmy Wang is aiming at ur rear... torso

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:15 AM

did somone allready mentiond the " Mighty Wang"tm ???

its so huge !

#47 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:14 AM

The Wang really is an interesting mech. The quintessential glass canon - extremely fragile but remarkably powerful. It's a challenge to pilot successfully, but very rewarding when you do. I like mechs like this.

#48 Sturmforge

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 293 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:17 AM

Guess everyone has their own play style. I have found success with my Centurion with these builds. Tend to Hit n' Run or flank. Stay with your team. If you draw fire disengage let your team distract them then return to the fight. Not the best pilot but have hit 700 dmg a few times. On average I get over 300 a game. Can snipe with the AL. My A is a brawler only.

CN9-A

LB-10X
Medium Laser x 2
Streak SRM-2 x 3
STD 250
Endo
Ferro
Double HS x 10

CN9-AL

ERPPC
Medium Laser x2
Streak SRM-2 x2
STD 250
Endo
Double HS X 15

Oh and so far I only have dropped in PUGs. Time to get a headset and a team I think.

Edited by Sturmforge, 11 February 2013 - 07:28 AM.

#49 Ratpoison

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 851 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:53 AM

View PostWrenchfarm, on 11 February 2013 - 04:10 AM, said:

I disagree and I think your post reeks of arrogance.

I'm an experienced Cent pilot and I only run XL in a few builds that absolutely need the tonnage. I've run the XL SRMbomb and the value of the AC2 is questionable. It can be nice to add some damage at a distance, but it shouldn't be your focus and it isn't indispensable. The majority of your damage should and will be from the SRM packs, anything that helps you deliver that payload - like say another arm and side torso to block shots with - is beneficial.

When I look at the Cent's skinny CT and large wingblade shoulders, I can only think it's a waste of it potential survivability to put an XL in there. If it was a light and there was just no way to mount a decent weapons kit on it without an XL, I wouldn't mind so much. But the fact that with a little selectiveness you can mount more than enough gun to get the job done with a STD engine, I don't see why you would take on the vulnerability. It isn't about mounting the absolute maximum number of weapons you can, it's about being effective with what you have.

If you had actually read what I stated, you'd see that I clearly said that the AC/2 is a nerf gun on the Centurion. The CN9-A needs a UAC/5 or an AC/10. I also posted my optimal build for the CN9-A which is here: CN9-A

For a player who knows the basic skills of how to block and target components, this is pretty much the optimal build for the CN9-A. It has significantly more killing power than the zombie Centurion build, and with decent blocking skills, your arms and CT armor will be gone and your core damaged before you lose a side torso 95% of your games. The XL engine in a Centurion is an incredibly easy to protect vulnerability that allows you to break more components and core more mechs with the power of the AC/10, the accuracy of the SRM4's, and the heat/weight efficiency of the small lasers. Small adjustments can easily be made to this setup to switch in a UAC/5, MLAS, or SRM6's should those better fit your playstyle, though I would not recommend those over this specific setup.

Edited by tortuousGoddess, 11 February 2013 - 07:58 AM.

#50 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:03 AM

Do people actually use UAC/5s in centurions? IMO, the UAC/5 is only viable when you can mount two and chain fire them. A single UAC/5 is just too much of a liability because it will always jam at the worst possible time. If I can only mount one, I'd rather have an AC/5. Or better yet, an AC/20. Oh crap, we're back to the Wang again.

#51 Kserin

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:44 AM

View PostNRP, on 11 February 2013 - 09:03 AM, said:

Do people actually use UAC/5s in centurions? IMO, the UAC/5 is only viable when you can mount two and chain fire them. A single UAC/5 is just too much of a liability because it will always jam at the worst possible time. If I can only mount one, I'd rather have an AC/5. Or better yet, an AC/20. Oh crap, we're back to the Wang again.

I use a uac5 on my 9-D, but I use it as a supplementary weapon to 2 srm6 and 2ml. Thus I do not rely on it for my primary dp so when it jams its not like all I have are two lasers. I do agree that generally I wouldn't uee only one for the reason you stated.

#52 Silvertree

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationSt. Catharines, ON

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:12 AM

I've criticized my YLW for not having a missile hard point (still do), but I'm finding this build is working very well:

Endo
Ferro
AMS
2 ML
AC/20
Std 245 engine (87 kph w/ speed tweak)
322 armour (dropped legs to 40 each)
3 tons AC/20 ammo, 1 ton AMS ammo (all stored in legs)

Moves fast enough to not be insta-killed, packs a solid punch with the AC/20, has a bit of protection with AMS, can zombie with the 2 ML... it's proving to be a nice build. The key to it was finding a build that could mount the AC/20 and still achieve a decent speed.

I haven't experimented with adding modules to it yet. Without a missile hardpoint, the sensor modules seem pointless, although the capture accelerator could be good once I unlock it. If they come out with a decent counter to ECM, I'll have to find room for it, although I might have to go back to the standard 215 engine... trying to avoid an XL, as the Centurion already is pretty fragile. Part of playing this build successfully is to have the patience to trudge along slowly with the heavies until they're engaged, then speed up and harass their attackers. Lights are still a problem.

#53 Stingz

• 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:39 PM

View PostSilvertree, on 11 February 2013 - 10:12 AM, said:

I've criticized my YLW for not having a missile hard point (still do), but I'm finding this build is working very well:

Endo
Ferro
AMS
2 ML
AC/20
Std 245 engine (87 kph w/ speed tweak)
322 armour (dropped legs to 40 each)
3 tons AC/20 ammo, 1 ton AMS ammo (all stored in legs)

Moves fast enough to not be insta-killed, packs a solid punch with the AC/20, has a bit of protection with AMS, can zombie with the 2 ML... it's proving to be a nice build. The key to it was finding a build that could mount the AC/20 and still achieve a decent speed.

I haven't experimented with adding modules to it yet. Without a missile hardpoint, the sensor modules seem pointless, although the capture accelerator could be good once I unlock it. If they come out with a decent counter to ECM, I'll have to find room for it, although I might have to go back to the standard 215 engine... trying to avoid an XL, as the Centurion already is pretty fragile. Part of playing this build successfully is to have the patience to trudge along slowly with the heavies until they're engaged, then speed up and harass their attackers. Lights are still a problem.

A Hunchback-4H/G is the C-Bill alternative of the YLW. Side-torso means it's harder to destroy the AC/20.

Good to know it will only take 2 AC/20 shots to leg your Cent, why not a few points from the shield arm?

Edited by Stingz, 11 February 2013 - 01:47 PM.

#54 Kempner

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:35 PM

Out of curiousity, why are people using 3xSRM4 instead of 2xSRM6? Don't two SRM6's generate less heat and fire the same number of missiles?

#55 Stingz

• 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:58 PM

View PostKempner, on 11 February 2013 - 03:35 PM, said:

Out of curiousity, why are people using 3xSRM4 instead of 2xSRM6? Don't two SRM6's generate less heat and fire the same number of missiles?

Spread, when you have used both SRM-4 and -6, you know SRM-4 has much better spray. The extra heat is worth it when your shots actually hit the target.

#56 Kempner

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:48 PM

View PostStingz, on 11 February 2013 - 03:58 PM, said:

Spread, when you have used both SRM-4 and -6, you know SRM-4 has much better spray. The extra heat is worth it when your shots actually hit the target.

Awesome, thanks :P

#57 RagingOyster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 462 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, Maryland

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:53 PM

Pony up and buy a Yellow Wang. Trust me, having a huge target painted on you is balanced out by the hilarity or a Cent mounting an AC/20 in its arm.

#58 TheFlyingScotsman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:56 PM

View PostStingz, on 11 February 2013 - 03:58 PM, said:

SRM4+ Artemis > SRM6 with or without artemis. I'm glad someone else realizes this. :3

#59 Ratpoison

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 851 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:58 PM

View PostTheFlyingScotsman, on 11 February 2013 - 05:56 PM, said:

SRM4+ Artemis > SRM6 with or without artemis. I'm glad someone else realizes this. :3

Hell, you don't even need the Artemis on the SRM4's, the spread is already significantly better than SRM6's with Artemis. SRM4's save you a lot of tonnage and ammo while still dealing about the same damage when used properly on a Centurion.

#60 Ratpoison

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 851 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:01 PM

View PostNRP, on 11 February 2013 - 09:03 AM, said:

As I stated before, all you need is some weapons discipline. Know when to single fire and when to double fire so you minimize jamming. The single fire recycle is only 1.1 seconds, so it's not that hard. Compare that to the AC/5's 1.7 second recycle with no double fire option. The UAC/5 is a fantastic weapon on the CN9-A and CN9-D.

Edited by tortuousGoddess, 11 February 2013 - 10:03 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users