59 replies to this topic

#1 Luke Garrad

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 139 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom - Devon

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:18 AM

Would you say Pilot tree modules give the player a unfair advantage over someone who hasn't got any of them? I know its a F2P game and money has to be made somehow but surely using them should have some sort of downside to make it a little fair for players who don't.

I bought some MC other day to convert all my xp so I can purchase a couple of modules but I felt like I have a big advantage over other players DX

#2 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:22 AM

Most people, even those who've played this game FOREVER, don't bother with the weaksauce modules.

#3 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:24 AM

Modules offer a relatively slim advantage, and EVERY PLAYER earns GXP they can use to unlock modules.

#4 KingNobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 216 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:28 AM

You're joking, right? You must be joking. The modules are pathetic, some don't even work right (adv. zoom), and they cost as much as a light/med 'mech. Imo the only one worth taking is sensor range, and even then, that's 2mil C-Bills you could have spent on other stuff

#5 Jetfire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,746 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:31 AM

I really don't think that veteran players earning small performance adjustments and tweak modules present an unfair advantage currently. They all provide small tweaks to let you do specific things a little better, but the overall effect of performance is very minor.

#6 Minsc

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 463 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:34 AM

So what you are saying is, if someone plays for a while, they will have have the advantage of more resources than someone who just started? ya don't say!

You know what this means? Playing the game is an exploit and everyone who has played more than 1 game should be banned!

#7 Dracol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 2,539 posts
  • LocationSW Florida

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:36 AM

IMHO, the high amount of experience needed to unlock modues reflects well the personal experience required to get the most out of them. Equipment/exp wise they are the end game ATM.

As far as usefulness, some examples:
Base cap win by last mech because of capture mod
Lrm locks beyond enemies lock on range with advanced sensors
Tracking circling mechs with 360 mod when in a slower turning mech
Pinpoint damage to a weakened section before they enemy is able to do the same by utilizing advanced target info mod
Sniping enemy base with erppc within seconds of match start by using the advanced zoom
Predicting a mechs next move after losing line of sight by way of the adv target decay

#8 Karl Split

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:41 AM

I bought the modules when I ran out of mechs I wanted to buy tbh.

And you will get there with general xp if you keep playing PGI said they are supposed to be endgame content.

#9 IceCase88

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 689 posts
  • LocationDenzien of K-Town

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:49 AM

This topic is almost like asking, "Is playing longer than new players an unfair advantage?" Nerf veterans? A crowd of n00bs with torches and pitchforks storm the forums chanting, "NERF THE VETS! NERF THE VETS!" Or like the current fascist governments around the world (Europe and North America), we all need to pay our fair share! We must have shared sacrifice! Surrender your cbills, mech xp, and gxp to the n00bs so they can play on equal footing. When you buy a mech you must buy another one for a n00b. Pffffffft... whatever!

#10 UraniumOverdose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 648 posts
  • LocationBurning hot sphere of pure rage.

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:50 AM

The modules are nice, but they are not necessary to win.
Just don't worry about them and you'll have enough GXP before you know it.

Personally I recommend the 360 radar, and the increased target time if you are an LRM boat.
Anything else is just whatever.

The faster target info is irrelevent if you understand the mech you are looking at. Atlas and hunch right torso is a good target.
Catapult ears are always safe bets. Centurion right arms. Stumpy arm Catapult K2 legs. All light mech and cicada legs. Awesome CT, Cataphract right torso. Dragon CT. ETC ETC ETC.
All the target info does is confirm where their big weapons are at, but after playing enough to afford that module you should already know these things.

Increased target distance isn't that useful with ECM around.

Faster capping is marginally useful in assault, and not worth it at all in conquest.

Advanced zoom is garbage.

#11 Wales Grey

Dark Clown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 861 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Frigid North

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:06 AM

View PostKingNobody, on 10 February 2013 - 09:28 AM, said:

You're joking, right? You must be joking. The modules are pathetic, some don't even work right (adv. zoom), and they cost as much as a light/med 'mech. Imo the only one worth taking is sensor range, and even then, that's 2mil C-Bills you could have spent on other stuff

Adv. Zoom works perfectly. That's not to say that it does a good job or that it's worth the investment, but it most assuredly works.

#12 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:11 AM

View PostLuke Garrad, on 10 February 2013 - 09:18 AM, said:

Would you say Pilot tree modules give the player a unfair advantage over someone who hasn't got any of them? I know its a F2P game and money has to be made somehow but surely using them should have some sort of downside to make it a little fair for players who don't.

I bought some MC other day to convert all my xp so I can purchase a couple of modules but I felt like I have a big advantage over other players DX

ummmmmm since ANYONE can earn them.......
NO?

What's next? ZOMG!!! More expensive mechs and weapon are unfair, because casual players might not be able to grind them out/afford them!

Unfair is ONLY if something is somehow made unavailable to part of the population.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 10 February 2013 - 10:11 AM.

#13 Yokaiko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:12 AM

In two thousand games somewhow the C-bill cost has outweighed the GXP cost/

#14 Monkey Bone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 726 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:14 AM

Around 100 hours spent on this game, yet i have no modules.

They're such a small boost, so i rather buy mechs. But i feel that they need to stay as small boosts, because i DONT want to spend 5 million on something stupid which shouldn't even exist and is only stupid grind.

#15 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:15 AM

I don't use modules on my favorite mechs. They just are not worth it.

#16 SUBZERO8K

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationVancouver, B.C.

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:17 AM

I have never bought a module and I do just fine. The advantage they give is really negligible.

#17 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:25 AM

I've unlocked 3 modules with GXP and have never spent a penny on the game. I'm not sure if I'm even using any of them, they're not that big a deal.

#18 Bobfrombobtown

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 344 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:28 AM

NO

/thread

#19 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:30 AM

I have some modules, I don't even know what mechs they are on, and don't even care, never going to swap them about to the mech I am currently going to use.

#20 Yokaiko

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:35 AM

View PostSUBZERO8K, on 10 February 2013 - 10:17 AM, said:

I have never bought a module and I do just fine. The advantage they give is really negligible.

Please espouse this attitude.

.......keep flying without modules, I won't mind at all.

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users