Pilot Tree's Unfair Advantage?

59 replies to this topic

#21 MQ9 Reaper Predator Drone

• PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:36 AM

View PostWales Grey, on 10 February 2013 - 10:06 AM, said:

Adv. Zoom works perfectly. That's not to say that it does a good job or that it's worth the investment, but it most assuredly works.

actualy even the devs confirmed it is broken right now, it doesnt give a clear picture but a heavily distorted one.

on topic, i unlocked 5 mods, their great in combination with mech mods like ECM/BAP.
however, overpowered ? i think not !
for the price/quality its heavily underpowered.
for example:

MECH EQUIP
Beagle active probe - costs 400.000 Cb - increases radar and lock on speed by 25% and to further **** it it even lets you target powered down mechs.

price-quality = 5*

PILOT MODULE
Sensor range mod - costs 2.000.000 Cb + 5000 GXP - all it does is increase 15% radar range.
now for a more sensible range lets say, bap style itl cost you 2m cb and 12.5k gxp for a adv. sensor range
all it does is 25 % increased range, doesnt let you lock on faster and doesnt let you target shut down mechs either so basicaly a lame cheap-o version of BAP

price-quality= 1*

target info doesnt do you much good and certainly wont overpower you in any way ( when i bought i HOPED it also increased lock on speed, no such thing sadly)

i wont go into detail about every module.
but long story short ALL Pilot modules are heavily underpowerd
for the same money of a single p.mod you could purchase yourself a nice shiny ecm mech.
incase you havent noticed, ECM renders 99% of the p.mods useless.
with exception of the adv. zoom but that one was already useles to begin with.

Edited by MQ9 Reaper Predator Drone, 10 February 2013 - 10:56 AM.

#22 Sug

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,629 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:42 AM

View PostMQ9 Reaper Predator Drone, on 10 February 2013 - 10:36 AM, said:

actualy even the devs confirmed it is broken right now, it doesnt give a clear picture but a heavily distorted one.

Someone a couple weeks ago posted screenshots of 3x and the 4x zoom side by side and confirmed that they're exactly the same size.

4x is just a blurry 3x right now.

Edited by Sug, 10 February 2013 - 10:42 AM.

#23 Deamhan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 484 posts
  • Location4 Wing Cold Lake

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:43 AM

In the time it takes to save up the gxp, you should've save more than enough c-bills. You can argue the usefullness all you like but....

1. They are end game content.

2. They shouldn't be "must have"s

3. Once you unlock their use and buy them, you can put them on any mech so you only need to buy one of each.

#24 Wraith05

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 696 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

View PostLuke Garrad, on 10 February 2013 - 09:18 AM, said:

Would you say Pilot tree modules give the player a unfair advantage over someone who hasn't got any of them? I know its a F2P game and money has to be made somehow but surely using them should have some sort of downside to make it a little fair for players who don't.

I bought some MC other day to convert all my xp so I can purchase a couple of modules but I felt like I have a big advantage over other players DX

You paid for the convenience of getting GXP faster via converting it from a mechs xp. You have access to every module in the game without paying a cent, you just have to grind a while for it. I've currently got the enhance zoom (waste) lvl 2 sensors and cap mod and haven't paid a cent toward XP conversion.

#25 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,629 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:53 AM

View PostDeamhan, on 10 February 2013 - 10:43 AM, said:

2. They shouldn't be "must have"s

Agreed. Right now they are "nice". Not great, not completely worthless, just nice. While they give you advantages all the modules in the world won't save your *** from a highly skilled player.

#26 sC4r

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 475 posts
  • LocationSlovakia

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:57 AM

i use target info and adv sensor range

the former is great for identifying loadout on cats quickly (never know if thats cheezy ac20/gauss/splat) the later one i bought for my sniper mech and also was quite usefull for when i had jenner

as many said they dont do much (now) but its a nice boost to the performance ;)

#27 Monsoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,631 posts
  • LocationToronto, On aka Kathil

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:58 AM

There is a slight advantage gained from modules, but hardly unfair. Anyone can get them without ever spending MC.

#28 MQ9 Reaper Predator Drone

• PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:00 AM

View PostSug, on 10 February 2013 - 10:53 AM, said:

[/size] Agreed. Right now they are "nice". Not great, not completely worthless, just nice. While they give you advantages all the modules in the world won't save your *** from a highly skilled player.

even "nice" is very generous, they are outright underpowered. for what they cost

#29 M4NTiC0R3X

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:13 AM

I master all, and have inventory that has atleast two of everything! Hell, I've bought two of every 'mech!

(must.. play!)

Edited by M4NTiC0R3X, 10 February 2013 - 11:14 AM.

#30 Beo Vulf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 739 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationHalsey, NE

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:14 AM

Would you say Pilot tree modules give the player a unfair advantage over someone who hasn't got any of them? I know its a F2P game and money has to be made somehow but surely using them should have some sort of downside to make it a little fair for players who don't.

I bought some MC other day to convert all my xp so I can purchase a couple of modules but I felt like I have a big advantage over other players DX

No I don't believe it gives an unfair advantage. We all started with nothing on the pilot tree, and we earned the xp to buy the skills. Anyone can earn the xp if they are willing to put in the time and effort just like the rest of us did. It is no different than leveling a character in another game instead of ranks you earn skills. THe ability buffs you earn are not that much greater than you start with 10% to 15% increase is not that much. Even with nothing on the pilot tree you can still hold your own against some one with mastery, in wow a level 1 will not stand a chance against a level 90, in planet side a level 1 will not stand a chance against a level 30 and the levels go up to over 80. so the pilot tree is fine.

#31 Steven Dixon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 621 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:16 AM

I have most of the modules unlocked and I almost never equip them because I tend to like to play different mechs and I'm too lazy to switch the modules out. At any rate they offer a fairly insignificant advantage.

#32 Cybermech

Tool

• 2,097 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:26 AM

decay and 360 on a light = fun

#33 Cato Phoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 843 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:33 AM

I only have 1 of each I unlocked purchased, and I throw them on any mech I'm playing with for a while, and for 8-mans. Otherwise I tend to switch mechs so spastically that I drop without them a lot of the time.

#34 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:35 AM

I don't really bother with modules. I have some but I rarely bother passing them between mechs. They are helpful though, don't get me wrong, but they still won't be a huge factor on whether you perform well or not, at least until we see more gameplay changing ones like +10% armor (from old pilot tree) or the artillery/air support ones if every they make them.

I'd -probably- like the modules more -if- we can equip them on any mech after purchasing one instead of having to pass them around. I tend to lose track of where they are. A "Flush all modules to inventory" button might be nice. ;)

#35 Lykaon

• 3,815 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:38 AM

Seriously? Unfair advantage?

What do you think that every person who drops in to play a few matches should be on 100% equal footing with everyone else?

Should we give out hugs at the start and end of each match so everyone feels good about it?

Maybe I should demand a top of the line gaming rig because some players have access to superior computers I should as well!

We should give every new player to MWo a 10,000 dollar gaming rig and access to every mech and start them off with 1 billion C-bills and a trillion MC every mech will come fully mastered in the pilot tree so those pesky players with "more time" or "pay to win types" or "living in mom's basement players" or what ever don't get any advantage over any fresh off the bus newbie.

You are right you are Entitled to everything right away with no time put into earning anything.

#36 Lukoi Banacek

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:38 AM

For the people that expect to be 100% equal coming in, to a player that's invested enough time/grind to get perks all I can say is, you're off base in terms of expectations.

People in almost every persistent world style game (MMO/MMORPG) and almost all current FPS games will be at a disadvantage to some small degree compared to those that have earned some of the perks.

At least in this game, they're not imbalancing or unfair (at least imo).

#37 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:29 PM

They're absolutely unrelated to MC purchase. You can get enough GXP for modules pretty easily over time - and you'll find that the C-Bills take you a lot more time to build up when you're also buying new mechs (and, of course, upgrades for those mechs).

You certainly can spend MC to convert XP to GXP, and its *dirt cheap* to do so, but it's entirely unnecessary.

I've got all the modules researched, but only own 2:

Sensor Range: I love BAP, and while BAP's far superior to this, they stack.

Advanced Zoom: researched last, purchased to test some stuff with different display options - wanted to see if I could clear it up. I couldn't. *shrugs* Was fun experimentation anyways.

I'd like to buy 360, Cap and Decay, but I'm in no hurry. They're expensive, and offer only minor benefit.

They are not, however, underpowered. You don't compare their costs to existing equipment, because they're there to basically serve as XP/Cash sinks. This is like any other persistent world game.

Consider a WoW Themepark style game's endgame fictitious gear:

Weapon A: Attack value 1592, Crit 5%, 9,000,000 gold.
Weapon B: Attack value 1600, Crit 5.05%., 15,000,000 gold.

The actual difference is ridiculously minor however the mechanics work, and the later is nearly twice the cost, but people can and do go to extreme extents to get their Best In Slot gear. Modules provide that progression avenue for us: Extremely high cost for minor upgrades. It gives you a long-term progression avenue without making them required items to compete. If they were cheaper the progression path would be completed sooner = less player retention. If they were more powerful, it would increase the new player:veteran power gap via equipment, making things even worse for newbies.

Modules are in a pretty great place right now, excepting that Zoom is flat out borked and the variety is limited.

#38 SUBZERO8K

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationVancouver, B.C.

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:33 PM

View PostYokaiko, on 10 February 2013 - 10:35 AM, said:

Please espouse this attitude.

.......keep flying without modules, I won't mind at all.

Don't worry I will ;).

#39 Tempered

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:36 PM

I think the modules are the one thing pgi has done very well and balanced. None of the modules are overly powerful. They represent a very minor reward for commitment to play.

Edited by Tempered, 10 February 2013 - 12:38 PM.

#40 Arcadian Xero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 365 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:43 PM

I have been playing since June... I only have two modules on a mech I don't pilot anymore, and I can't be bothered with moving them to any of my other 'mechs, or spending the money to buy more.

Anything you can do with modules can be done with pure game experience.

I don't need 360 targeting to track that light mech circling me. I already know what they are going to do.

I don't need enhanced zoom to hit people across the map with PPC/Gauss.

I don't need enhanced sensor range to lock on with missiles early because at that range they won't hit anyway.

Target decay to predict enemy movements as they move through terrain? Experience tells me what they are going to do anyway.

Target info gathering? There are only a few mechs that are actually dangerous, and they are always running the same build, and it's easy to spot them based on how the enemy is piloting them so I already know where to shoot to cripple the fastest, and if it turns out that mech isn't running a competitive build, well then they were scrubs and a non issue.

These modules are worthless. By the time you can get them, you won't need them.

20 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 20 guests, 0 anonymous users