Favorite Ppc Builds Post Change?

67 replies to this topic

#1 Slash

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 77 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:13 AM

Just curious as to what some of your favorite PPC builds are since the patch? I've been running the centurion AL with 2xPPC 2ML and a fairly fast STD engine and HS, but it isnt as fulfilling as I'd hoped.

What do you like?

#2 Volt Corsair

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 203 posts
  • LocationOutpost, Periphery (HPG down)

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:37 AM

I have a similar CN9-AL build, but I got rid of one of the medium lasers in favor of another double heat sink. My mobile sniper is a RVN-2X that runs a wee bit hot, but used right it's fine, even on Caustic Valley. It has 5 Double Heat Sinks, 3 Medium Pulse Lasers, 1 ER PPC, an AMS, 1 ton of AMS ammo, max Ferro-Fibrous armor, Endo-Steel internals, and a 195 Standard Engine. The Small Pulse Lasers are the real offender of the heat generation because together, they produce as much heat as the ER PPC. Mind you they're for close combat and defense, but it's still a lot of heat. It is crit locked, so I can't sqeeze one more Double Heat Sink in unless I take out the AMS completely, but since I'm near assaults and heavies a lot anyways, it stays. Overall I think both are nice builds, but that's just me. I type a lot, can you tell? ;)

#3 Vincent Lynch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,652 posts
  • LocationVienna

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:43 AM

Catapult-2K with 2 PPC, 2 AC/2, 2 ML, 265XL, 13 DHS, AMS.
Sniper + a little Dakka = very comfortable build.

@Volt Opt Construct: If you have pulsers for short range anyway and don't have the sinks for using them with the ERPPC at the same time, then why not a standard PPC?
Ì would use ERPPCs only if all my other armament would consist of Gauss and/or LRM.

#4 Taurick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 216 posts
  • Location'straya

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:19 AM

Cat 3D ofc

#5 Training Instructor

• 1,218 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:40 AM

Prechange and post change I like the k2 with 4 ppcs. 280Xl.

I also enjoy a cicada 2a with 2 erppcs.

#6 Culler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 371 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:01 AM

Cataphract with gauss and 2 PPCs. Unlike most PPC builds it actually runs fairly cool but still wallops at range.

#7 Anudiz

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 76 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:24 AM

Stalker 3F
4PPCs, 2 SRM4, 2 SRM2 and 2 or 3 tons SRM ammo

Heat is manageable and the SRMs are sufficient to kill damaged mechs at close range
(usually you can nflict some damage to them before they close in)
Best damage so far ~1200

Cicada 3M
2 ERPPCs mit ECM

Fun build, pretty hot.
Best damage so far ~500

#8 80Bit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 555 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:19 PM

View PostCuller, on 11 February 2013 - 09:01 AM, said:

Cataphract with gauss and 2 PPCs. Unlike most PPC builds it actually runs fairly cool but still wallops at range.

I just started using this too.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...47e127dff263074

I have been amazed by the results.

#9 Mental Hippie

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:07 PM

Triple PPC Hunchback 4P with 2 small lasers as last ditch defense. Having lots of fun with it, and it seems to catch lots of people off guard.

#10 Stringburka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 597 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:16 PM

View PostTraining Instructor, on 11 February 2013 - 08:40 AM, said:

I also enjoy a cicada 2a with 2 erppcs.

Does that work? I'm trying to fix my 2a experience so I can get elite with 3M, but haven't found a config I like yet. Doesn't it run awfully hot?

#11 Training Instructor

• 1,218 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:56 PM

View PostStringburka, on 11 February 2013 - 01:16 PM, said:

Does that work? I'm trying to fix my 2a experience so I can get elite with 3M, but haven't found a config I like yet. Doesn't it run awfully hot?

It runs a bit hot. You can run this config CDA-2A or you can also shave the legs and side torsos of a bit more armor to add an extra heat sink.

This is a video of it in action. You'll notice I'm not the best player or best sniper, but I'm in a random pug that wasn't very good, and I score higher than any of them without playing like a total coward.

It doesn't run as hot as you would think it would.

You could also drop the erppc for regular ppc if you find the heat to be too much. I'm running with an advanced zoom module, but it's not very useful most of the time.

Edited by Training Instructor, 11 February 2013 - 02:07 PM.

#12 ElLocoMarko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:24 PM

Good video.... (a bit dark but I'm not complaining)
I was disappointed that you were killed by a splat cat. Speedy ERPPC versus splat would have been a wonderful demonstration of the limits of that cheese build. But things were winding down and I agree with not prolonging the inevitable. I just hate cheese builds, especially when they succeed.

My favorite aspect of the Cicada is that the matchmaker calls it a medium and often brings in a hunch or centurion to the other side. A few alphas from an unnoticed LLas stalker is usually my undoing when I run "my bug".

I noticed that you played very defensively - not pursuing the cored hunchback and ducking for cover the moment missiles were incoming. I need to not be so bloodthirsty...

#13 GorgoHammer

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:46 PM

Has to be the Stalker Of Doom.

Edited by GorgoHammer, 11 February 2013 - 05:06 PM.

#14 WalkingDeathBot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 459 posts
  • LocationLooking for Paul so as to troll him

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:19 PM

4 PPC Atas RS running a 350 std engine, with 2 streaks strapped on for lights. Heat isn't too bad, and you can pew pew all day on chain fire.

#15 Mental Hippie

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:31 PM

Speaking of RSs, the 4 PPC + Gauss RS is kind of hilarious too. Almost alphas like a 6 PPC Stalker, and nowhere near the heat problems.

#16 kevin roshak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 304 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:32 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...130d23b59155d43
Thinking of running a cataphract like this, I'm in the process of saving for the 325 for my dragon so I want to keep it in the build.

#17 Training Instructor

• 1,218 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:41 PM

View PostElLocoMarko, on 11 February 2013 - 02:24 PM, said:

Good video.... (a bit dark but I'm not complaining)
I was disappointed that you were killed by a splat cat. Speedy ERPPC versus splat would have been a wonderful demonstration of the limits of that cheese build. But things were winding down and I agree with not prolonging the inevitable. I just hate cheese builds, especially when they succeed.

My favorite aspect of the Cicada is that the matchmaker calls it a medium and often brings in a hunch or centurion to the other side. A few alphas from an unnoticed LLas stalker is usually my undoing when I run "my bug".

I noticed that you played very defensively - not pursuing the cored hunchback and ducking for cover the moment missiles were incoming. I need to not be so bloodthirsty...

Yeah, I really like the Cicadas, they're turning into one of my favorite chassis. In pugs I've learned to play a lot more defensively with my slower Cicada, mostly due to routinely getting zero support from teammates when I go on the offensive.

Pugs seem to have two mentalities, Rambo or total conservative.

#18 sC4r

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 475 posts
  • LocationSlovakia

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:58 PM

Atlas RS STD300engine 2 ER PPC, Gauss(3tons), 2ML, ams(3tons coz no idea what else i can put in xD) rest is dhs

#19 Firesteel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 100 posts
  • LocationSomewhere Deep Underground Near a Volcano

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:03 PM

I enjoy my Catapult CPLT-K3:

Though this design never reached full production, it was prototyped during the War of 3039. It upgraded the PPCs of the K2 to ER PPCs. Twenty double heat sinks kept heat to a minimum.

mine is 2 less heatsinks, no machine guns, endo-steel, STD engine 305 and speed tweak.
You play like a normal k2 except that in brawl range you can still do considerable damage.

#20 Oxer

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:56 PM

As soon as the change went through I swapped the arm LLs to standard PPCs on my 4LL K2 build and never looked back. Running a 300XL and 19 DHS, max armour except for the legs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users