F2P Players Need A Way To Acquire 'mech Bays Without Buying Mc.

417 replies to this topic

#341 ArmandTulsen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:43 AM

View PostM A L I C E, on 16 February 2013 - 01:12 AM, said:

You're still not getting it.

The game is Free to Play.

It's not Free to Operate.

Dude, be real here. The game's operation and upkeep is not the consumer's responsibility, even in P2P games.

#342 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:04 PM

View PostArmandTulsen, on 16 February 2013 - 11:43 AM, said:

Dude, be real here. The game's operation and upkeep is not the consumer's responsibility, even in P2P games.

^_^ Really?
If you like a game you buy the game. If the sales were large enough there will probably be a sequel, DLC and the like. But if the game makes no money there will be nothing more. Ever. So if you want stuff, buy it. We don't buy the trinkets the company can't pay the people who make the game. we don't get to play the game anymore...
Yes we do pay for the upkeep.

#343 Ngamok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:07 PM

Scratching my head here.

#344 Machinae Mortis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:12 PM

As someone who has spent nearly half of my Founder's MC on mechbays I would be personally insulted if they were to now make them free. Hell, I'd probably even be upset if they made them 50% off considering how much money I've put into it. Since the MC is in a lot of peoples' eyes the bulk of what is left of Founder's rewards devaluing that would **** a lot of (paying) players off.

You would have a much easier time arguing the case for having more base slots - this would impact all players and not just the ones that want to avoid paying a dime for the game. Six to eight slots would allow for two mechs to be taken to master without selling any off. From a business standpoint I disagree with this stance because I feel it's better to have the cutoff at four to force someone to pay at least a small amount into the game for that convenience. I wouldn't be insulted by the move, though, and you would face a lot less opposition considering it would reward ALL players. Free, future paid, and existing premium.

In summation: Free slots? No. More base slots? I don't agree with it, but I wouldn't oppose it.

#345 Warrax the Chaos Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 925 posts
  • LocationMyrror

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:14 PM

View PostBagheera, on 16 February 2013 - 11:10 AM, said:

Please no. No Player to Player marketplace or trading of any kind, what-so-ever. This is not an MMO, we don't need this sort of "economy," and PGI doesn't have the resources to battle RMT farmers so it would basically ruin the game for everyone, kind of like "gold farming" always does. The only way to prevent RMT farming is to never implement player trading.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't think of a way to exploit it as long as PGI sets the price and controls all the transactions. It wouldn't be player-to-player, it would be player-to-PGI-to-player; you wouldn't even know who you were getting it from.

I think they could sell more MC that way, and it would be possible for die-hard F2P'ers to get some premium stuff (like a mechbay or two) through grinding. The only game I've personally played that had this kind of system was ST:O, but they pulled it off successfully by having three different kinds of currency (one tradeable, one not tradeable, and the real money currency). I think it could work as long as c-bills are still untradeable through any other method.

#346 xRatas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 514 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:21 PM

Not their responsibility, but if no-one pays, there won't be the game either. If current bay cost brings more money than it loses, it's fine.

#347 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:54 PM

I remember when they set the prices for mech bays at, what was it?, 1000MC or something?

Good thing the beta testers were all like DAFUQ?!

#348 burns

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • LocationMonerica

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:06 PM

Nah, slots can stay MC only.
Not that i´d ever buy one, but here´s hoping for a WoT like "get 2 or 3 more slots during 1-2 years from promos or gift tanks" kind of way of things. Presents are always nice :)

Edited by burns, 16 February 2013 - 03:07 PM.

#349 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:07 PM

View Postburns, on 16 February 2013 - 03:06 PM, said:

Nah, slots can stay MC only.
Not that i´d ever buy one, but here´s hoping for a WoT like "get 2 or 3 more slots during 1-2 years from promos or gift tanks" kind of way of things. Presents are always nice :)

Yeah I'm sure you will be able to get another one or 2 from promos and achievements.

#350 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:17 PM

Freaking 99%. Or is that the 47%. :)

Edited by Mystere, 16 February 2013 - 03:21 PM.

#351 Heketon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 158 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:19 PM

Let me throw this out there for those of you still reading this thread.

I don't have the $7 for MC. I'm trying to scrape pennies as it is for groceries. Some of you may be asking why am I on the internet, then. Most, if not all job opportunities come in to me via email or by submitting them on websites. Why am I not taking up a minimum wage-burger flipping job? For some reason, I don't get called back. Even trying to get a favor from an old boss didn't work. Why am I playing this game when I could be yadda yadda yadda? Because it is the one thing that eliminates the misery and DSHS forms that have become my life.

Would I buy MC if I had a decent paying job? Yes. I've done it with D&D Online and OGame. Can I do it now? No. I've missed too many mortgage payments and I need every coin I find on the pavement.

Would I like an opportunity to get more mech bays or paint colors? Oh hell yes. I hated selling off my module-slotted Jenners to try running Hunchbacks. I wish I could buy them with C-Bills even if I have to grind for them. (It might take me months, though.)

tl;dr? I would love to buy MC for mech bays, but it isn't something I can do right now.

#352 ChrisOrange

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:25 PM

Most people in this thread who spent money don't want to feel like they made a dumb purchase...so they aren't really defending the mechbay business practice or PGI they are only trying to prove that they are not dumb. You can't view them as defending PGI or Mechwarrior when all they are actually doing is sticking up for themselves.

For that reason anyone who is looking at this thread in the future must throw out a LOT of the posts here and just decide for themselves.

Hopefully in the future mechbays are unlocked in a different way that doesn't require money and those who purchased them in the past will have their MC refunded to buy whatever cosmetic/convenience perk that they want. I've made my decision to just create new accounts. Sadly that means my friends will have to deal with me logging in and out when I want to switch mechs...but no big deal.

#353 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:30 PM

View PostChrisOrange, on 16 February 2013 - 03:25 PM, said:

Most people in this thread who spent money don't want to feel like they made a dumb purchase...so they aren't really defending the mechbay business practice or PGI they are only trying to prove that they are not dumb. You can't view them as defending PGI or Mechwarrior when all they are actually doing is sticking up for themselves.

For that reason anyone who is looking at this thread in the future must throw out a LOT of the posts here and just decide for themselves.

For the same reason you have to throw out a LOT of posts of f2pers because they are in fact looking out for themselves, they are only looking out for their own interests, and that interest is to get more skip grind content for free.

#354 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:44 PM

I've made my decision to just create new accounts ...

Why are you creating new accounts instead of just buying new bays? Are you currently having financial difficulties?

(The above are serious questions and are being asked out of sheet curiosity).

#355 Tarman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:29 PM

Hopefully in the future mechbays are unlocked in a different way that doesn't require money and those who purchased them in the past will have their MC refunded to buy whatever cosmetic/convenience perk that they want. I've made my decision to just create new accounts. Sadly that means my friends will have to deal with me logging in and out when I want to switch mechs...but no big deal.

That's a lot of supposition for the motives of a lot of people. Do you have psychic powers?

I'd counter-suppose that people aren't defending PGI so much as they're in disbelief at the folks who like a game enough to say they NEED mechbays, while at the same time having so little finances/willingness that they cannot put in an extremely small amount of money for the apparently vast amount of enjoyment they're getting from said game.

If you really like this game enough to play it to the point where you feel you require more space for a mech collection, then you are at the intended breakpoint of adding cash to your game experience. It is a choice to pay into this game, not a requirement. If you do not want to pay, don't. But you can't also cry about not having the things you didn't want to buy. That's not defense, that's common sense.

#356 TOGSolid

• 1,212 posts
  • LocationJuneau, Alaska

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:29 PM

tl;dr? I would love to buy MC for mech bays, but it isn't something I can do right now.

How is you being broke PGI's problem? [Redacted]

Edited by Niko Snow, 17 February 2013 - 07:09 PM.

#357 ChrisOrange

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:31 PM

View PostMystere, on 16 February 2013 - 03:44 PM, said:

Why are you creating new accounts instead of just buying new bays? Are you currently having financial difficulties?

(The above are serious questions and are being asked out of sheet curiosity).

I think it's a bit shady to charge for mech bays so I don't want to support PGI on that basis. I am having problems financially too but even that isn't a big deal because my family has money...but I try not to ask them for favors too often. How cheap it is isn't important, It's the fact that it costs any RL money that has me a bit salty.

Also I enjoy the game but it's not a mechwarrior game compared to mech2 and mech3. I just don't want to support the direction they have taken the gameplay. Here's the game guys lets be real: You load up...you que into a match...and you fight other people driving robuts. This means that there is WAY too much catering to Lore guys when the style of game is nothing about the universe/lore anway.

Edited by ChrisOrange, 16 February 2013 - 04:32 PM.

#358 TOGSolid

• 1,212 posts
  • LocationJuneau, Alaska

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:36 PM

I think it's a bit shady to charge for mech bays so I don't want to support PGI on that basis. I am having problems financially too but even that isn't a big deal because my family has money...but I try not to ask them for favors too often. How cheap it is isn't important, It's the fact that it costs any RL money that has me a bit salty.

It's making you mad because you're broke.

That's kinda the long and short of it.

#359 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:38 PM

View PostChrisOrange, on 16 February 2013 - 04:31 PM, said:

Also I enjoy the game but it's not a mechwarrior game compared to mech2 and mech3. I just don't want to support the direction they have taken the gameplay. Here's the game guys lets be real: You load up...you que into a match...and you fight other people driving robuts. This means that there is WAY too much catering to Lore guys when the style of game is nothing about the universe/lore anway.

From what you just said, even if they gave you free mech bays, you don't like the direction of the game is going, so I guess probably wouldn't buy MC anyway.

#360 Gruinhardt

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 4
  • Mercenary Rank 4
  • 198 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:43 PM

View PostChrisOrange, on 16 February 2013 - 04:31 PM, said:

Don't play, problem solved

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users