Nasty Little Ssrm/ecm Trick That Feels Unfair For People Not To Utilize/counter.

31 replies to this topic

#1 Enig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 594 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:46 AM

When I'm piloting my COM-2D and an enemy 2D or 3L appears and they do not immediately toggle into Counter mode for their ECM, here's how it works out:

I keep my ECM on to prevent lock (but I am also prevented from locking with my SSRM').

Prepared, I toggle my ECM into Counter mode and immediately lock and fire, then turning my ECM back into Disrupt mode while the missiles are in flight, thereby preventing the enemy unit from obtaining a lock and firing as fast as I can toggle my ECM.

This repeats until the enemy unit dies or realizes what is going on and flees.

I try to inform other light SSRM/ECM pilots about this in post-game to even the playing field but they tend to disconnect, so I'm posting this here to make people aware of the technique.

Disclaimer: I know many of you are bright individuals and already know about this, this topic is for the pilots who aren't privy to it.

#2 bloodnor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Locationwarrington Cheshire UK

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:53 AM

i must admit i do this also in my 3L

#3 Monkey Bone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 726 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:55 AM

Neat.

But i thought you can only change the ECM functionality via mechlab?

#4 Taemien

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,576 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:56 AM

Anyone who uses both SSRM and ECM should know this trick. Though its only useful when you're by yourself, which means you're hurting your team buy not giving them the ECM protection.

Last time I've used this, I was the last one alive on my team and was fighting another ECM mech. I tend to leave ECM in disrupt unless we need it on counter. Just keep that in mind if you try to use this 'trick'.

#5 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:56 AM

Not news.

#6 Trauglodyte

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:58 AM

I wouldn't call it "cheap". I mean, you're utilizing the full functionality of the ECM system. Granted, should it be allowed to flip flop like that so quickly? Probably not. But, as much as I love this game, it is a bit of a wild west sort of thing so no rules are broken until the rule is written.

#7 Yokaiko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:58 AM

View PostJules Gonzales, on 16 February 2013 - 10:55 AM, said:

Neat.

But i thought you can only change the ECM functionality via mechlab?

Nope.

The J button is the default to toggle it back and forth.

I don't think you can change the mode in the mechlab.

#8 Skizzak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:00 AM

This basically is what makes the SSRM and ECM combo soooooo good. Synergy man, ya digg?

#9 Bagheera

• 3,920 posts
  • LocationStrong and Pretty

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:02 AM

Well, you've got about 3 full days left to enjoy that little "trick" before the Fastback Returns (unless patch is delayed) and basically renders that little metal baby and it's not-so-big-bird of a brother functionally obsolete.

Enjoy it while you can. ^_^

#10 Monkey Bone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 726 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:03 AM

View PostYokaiko, on 16 February 2013 - 10:58 AM, said:

Nope.

The J button is the default to toggle it back and forth.

I don't think you can change the mode in the mechlab.

Never have touched ECM myself, except on the D-DC.

Which of course should just have it on disrupt 100% of the time.

#11 Indoorsman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 792 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:06 AM

I do this, if you're quick enough and the first person to switch to counter they may not bother switching as well. Against good opponents it MIGHT get you a free salvo against them before they toggle their own ECM, but that could decide the outcome of a light duel.

#12 Yokaiko

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:12 AM

View PostIndoorsman, on 16 February 2013 - 11:06 AM, said:

I do this, if you're quick enough and the first person to switch to counter they may not bother switching as well. Against good opponents it MIGHT get you a free salvo against them before they toggle their own ECM, but that could decide the outcome of a light duel.

Given even pilots it comes down to the first shot half of the time.

View PostJules Gonzales, on 16 February 2013 - 11:03 AM, said:

Which of course should just have it on disrupt 100% of the time.

ummmmmm.....no, there are a number of reasons to counter.

#13 Enig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 594 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:27 AM

View PostBagheera, on 16 February 2013 - 11:02 AM, said:

Well, you've got about 3 full days left to enjoy that little "trick" before the Fastback Returns (unless patch is delayed) and basically renders that little metal baby and it's not-so-big-bird of a brother functionally obsolete.

Enjoy it while you can. ^_^

By fastback are you referring the PPC mounted Hunchback 4SP?

#14 Bagheera

• 3,920 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:30 AM

View PostEnig, on 16 February 2013 - 11:27 AM, said:

By fastback are you referring the PPC mounted Hunchback 4SP?

I'm referring to the TBT which has a base 250 (one variant with a base 300) which means max ratings of 325 (390) and approximate max speeds of 113 (idk what a 50 tonner with a 390 tops out at) untalented. Return of the Fastback. Also the return of major tears. The 4SP was always deadlier than the 4P, but in the days of fast mediums the 4P was easier to drive and used more often.

#15 urmamasllama

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 228 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:31 AM

yet another reason for the ecm modules to be divided up

#16 Yokaiko

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:32 AM

View PostBagheera, on 16 February 2013 - 11:30 AM, said:

I'm referring to the TBT which has a base 250 (one variant with a base 300) which means max ratings of 325 (390) and approximate max speeds of 113 (idk what a 50 tonner with a 390 tops out at) untalented. Return of the Fastback. Also the return of major tears. The 4SP was always deadlier than the 4P, but in the days of fast mediums the 4P was easier to drive and used more often.

I drove the -SP. Hell I had it out today for that matter.

We'll see what they do with the hardpoints, I'm expecting something relatively restrictive. Can't have all of the heavy and assault pilots screaming from their Atlases (again) about broken mediums.

Now can we.

#17 Bagheera

• 3,920 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:36 AM

I do expect them to restrict hardpoints somewhat, but the concept art does show at least 5 hardpoints (3 energy, 2 missle) and frankly, that's plenty for mass murder at 113kph. My 4SPs ran about that speed before engine restrictions. They also have the CN9-D as precedent. We may not see 7 Hardpoint trebs (like the 4SP or 4P), but they can only nerf hardpoints as far as the canon variant has weapons.

Sarna doesn't seem to want to load, and I don't recall how many weapons the stock -C (I think that is the fast TBT) has, but I want to say at least 4.

There it goes. Sarna finally decided to wake up. TBT-3C has 4ML and 2 LRM stock. 6 hardpoints for the stock loadout.

[color=#000000]TBT-3C - The original [/color]Trebuchet[color=#000000] as produced for the SLDF, it consisted of two [/color]Artemis IV[color=#000000]-equipped LRM-15s with[/color]CASE[color=#000000], four medium lasers, [/color]double heat sinks[color=#000000], an [/color]Endo-Steel[color=#000000] chassis and a 300-rate [/color]Extra Light Fusion Engine[color=#000000]. However, the attrition of the [/color]First Succession War[color=#000000] forced Corean Enterprises into redesigning the 'Mech without advanced technology to keep the production lines running.[/color][7]

Edited by Bagheera, 16 February 2013 - 11:37 AM.

#18 Reggimus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 341 posts
  • LocationQueenstown, New Zealand

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:40 AM

View PostYokaiko, on 16 February 2013 - 11:32 AM, said:

I drove the -SP. Hell I had it out today for that matter.

We'll see what they do with the hardpoints, I'm expecting something relatively restrictive. Can't have all of the heavy and assault pilots screaming from their Atlases (again) about broken mediums.

Now can we.

Yeah we can, i feed on the tears of Atlas pilots.......nom nom nom

#19 Yokaiko

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:42 AM

View PostReggimus, on 16 February 2013 - 11:40 AM, said:

Yeah we can, i feed on the tears of Atlas pilots.......nom nom nom

Look at all of the crying about the -A1 lol

#20 Quxudica

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:43 AM

View PostEnig, on 16 February 2013 - 10:46 AM, said:

When I'm piloting my COM-2D and an enemy 2D or 3L appears and they do not immediately toggle into Counter mode for their ECM, here's how it works out:

I keep my ECM on to prevent lock (but I am also prevented from locking with my SSRM').

Prepared, I toggle my ECM into Counter mode and immediately lock and fire, then turning my ECM back into Disrupt mode while the missiles are in flight, thereby preventing the enemy unit from obtaining a lock and firing as fast as I can toggle my ECM.

This repeats until the enemy unit dies or realizes what is going on and flees.

I try to inform other light SSRM/ECM pilots about this in post-game to even the playing field but they tend to disconnect, so I'm posting this here to make people aware of the technique.

Disclaimer: I know many of you are bright individuals and already know about this, this topic is for the pilots who aren't privy to it.

This seems like a trick of limited value since it's banking completely on your opponent making the mistake of not being in counter mode. Strategies and tactics that rely on enemy mistakes are valid, but in the grand scheme of things they are extremely situational and their usefulness drops off sharply as enemy skill level increases. It's also completely useless if more then one enemy ECM is around.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users