Thermal Vision Is Horrible

58 replies to this topic

#1 Brudlos

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:45 PM

Thermal vision looks absolutely terrible. It's like I'm playing a game from early 2000. The game forces you to look at this god awful mess 75% of the time. its a game breaker. I don't want to look at horrible. I don't want to fire at color blobs in the middle more color blobs and hope that that new color blob is a hit on an enemy color blob... Posted Image this early 1990s games graphics look 100% better then thermal mode. At least I can tell what I'm looking at. Don't make you game look worse than it is...

#2 Ravennus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:00 PM

Terminator 2!!! I loved that arcade game!

So many quarters/tokens spent......

... I miss old school arcades...

If I had the money, I would open a new bar in my hometown. A Gamer Bar.
You pay cover and there is a whole section of old school arcades and pinball machines you can play for free.

Another section for modern consoles, including a couple big screen projectors for fun spectating and occasional tournaments.

Another section for Dancing, which include a live DJ doing modern remixes of old school game soundtracks.

Another section for sitting and chatting casually, and enjoying some great pub food (including vegan and organic options).

Of course, a kick *** bar where you can buy drinks and ALSO buy physical copies of the latest games.

Sorta like they have in Australia (Mana Bar) but on steroids.

DAMNIT! I need money!
And a nice big space!

THANK YOU OP FOR INSPIRING SUCH AWESOME NOSTALGIA AND BUSINESS IDEAS WITH YOUR COMPLAINT THREAD!

Edited by Ravennus, 16 February 2013 - 03:01 PM.

#3 Broceratops

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:02 PM

that was a really hard game for me. i had to buy the snes gun attachment to beat it because the controller wasnt working for me at all.

to this day i still suck at console games like halo.

broceratops sad

#4 Protoculture

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:13 PM

Waste some CBills on 4x zoom if you want to see really bad thermal. Not only does it look worse but the targetting boxes jump all over the place.

#5 superteds

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 722 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:14 PM

i honestly hope they don't change thermal. they'll probably try and make it all filtery and **** like NV is currently

i enjoy being able to shoot at blue blobs

View PostProtoculture, on 16 February 2013 - 03:13 PM, said:

Waste some CBills on 4x zoom if you want to see really bad thermal. Not only does it look worse but the targetting boxes jump all over the place.

4x is pretty good at checking if you can actually hit the mech, or if your shot is going to clip into whatever cover they're almost behind. also good (unintended) at getting out of the zoom levels quickly

#6 Brudlos

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:53 PM

I can't believe that anyone that plays likes the horrible thermal mode...

#7 Ravennus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:04 PM

I like Thermal on River City Night (obviously) and the snow storm version of Frozen City.

It also depends what Mech I'm piloting. Thermal is actually really useful for long range sniping, where you can't zoom in enough to reliably target specific components anyway.

I also toggle Thermal on all my Mechs for spotting enemy heat signatures from really far away, though I always go back to normal view when close enough to target them.

Once you get enough experience, you also start to learn the hit box locations, and thermal really doesn't make a difference... I generally know where to shoot at the mech silhouette to hit what I want.

Personally, I find Night Vision much worse. I never ever use it, both due to the insane contrast and the fact that everything is green and white. It just messes with my head. At least with Thermal, you get some color contrast. *shrug*

#8 GalaxyBluestar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,748 posts
  • Location...

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:08 PM

View PostRavennus, on 16 February 2013 - 09:04 PM, said:

I like Thermal on River City Night (obviously) and the snow storm version of Frozen City.

It also depends what Mech I'm piloting. Thermal is actually really useful for long range sniping, where you can't zoom in enough to reliably target specific components anyway.

I also toggle Thermal on all my Mechs for spotting enemy heat signatures from really far away, though I always go back to normal view when close enough to target them.

Once you get enough experience, you also start to learn the hit box locations, and thermal really doesn't make a difference... I generally know where to shoot at the mech silhouette to hit what I want.

Personally, I find Night Vision much worse. I never ever use it, both due to the insane contrast and the fact that everything is green and white. It just messes with my head. At least with Thermal, you get some color contrast. *shrug*

yes but... those map visuals are horrible and you're replacing it with something only a little less horrible. thermal isn't terrible but it blurs unless you come to a complete halt... and you don't want to do that.

we'll see if the devs improve these things but considering it's been like this for half a year so {thermal and the 4x zoom} i'm not sure when we will see improvements.

#9 LogicSol

• 2,411 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:32 AM

<facepalm>
You do understand that thermal veiw is SUPPOSED to be hard to see with right?
When visual condition are too poor to see normally, it allows you to see better, but at a degraded quality.

The entire point is to make the game harder to play..

#10 80sGlamRockSensation David Bowie

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationThe Island

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:35 AM

You think the Thermal is bad? You should take a look at the nightvision. *shudder*

#11 De La Fresniere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:38 AM

Until they fix the game's "normal" graphics (not to mention Night Vision), the image quality is much too pitiful to allow players to look for enemy mechs with their own eyes.

It's a temporary, necessary evil.

#12 peve

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:43 AM

View PostLogicSol, on 17 February 2013 - 11:32 AM, said:

&lt;facepalm&gt;
When visual condition are too poor to see normally, it allows you to see better, but at a degraded quality.

You do understand that if the entire point is to make the game harder to play, there would not need to be thermal...?

I mean, they could just tune the weather and night lighting, right?

I think they should rethink thermal and night vision. There are plenty of other options that are way better than what we have now.

#13 Empee38

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:49 AM

Just combine the two and call it rename it the FLIR sensor.

#14 TheMightyWashburn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 281 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:54 AM

View PostLogicSol, on 17 February 2013 - 11:32 AM, said:

<facepalm>

That is funny, I never read this as being a stated purpose.
More importantly, it would be idiotic.

Why cant we have modern FLIR like in Arma 2? Here is an example https://www.youtube....PKDDJbILI#t=41s

It is quite easy to make out objects and warm things glow bright white.

Here is a scope that exists today. It can do color or black and white. It is also MUCH clearer. Plus it fits on an M4 ffs. PGI has no excuse as far as realism. And No excuse as far as feasibility in game.

#15 AlexEss

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,491 posts
  • Locationthe ol north

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:01 PM

i do not get this... The only map i use TV on constantly is Frozen city day due to the snowstorm that cut you LoS down to a few decimiters inside your own cockpit.

Thermal lack detail and is hard to see just because it is not intended to be a primary vision mode.. if it was we would not have the regular one. It is supposed to be a niche thing that you flip to either spot a distant enemy or when the visibility is bad. If you feel you need to use it all the time you are either A: a gauss sniper. or B: need glasses. If you are A the reason it is so "bad" should be obvious and with B you need to see a optician. =P

But yes. TV is bad because that is how it is designed. It is a support system not a main system.

Edit: Just to make it clear... This is opinion and not fact.. feel free to disagree.

Edited by AlexEss, 17 February 2013 - 12:02 PM.

#16 Mike Townsend

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationRedmond

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:09 PM

View PostEmpee38, on 17 February 2013 - 11:49 AM, said:

Just combine the two and call it rename it the FLIR sensor.

Yes, and make it black and white.Edit: Without interlacing artifacts. Seriously,

Edited by Mike Townsend, 17 February 2013 - 12:09 PM.

#17 Phenakist

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:25 PM

View PostTheMightyWashburn, on 17 February 2013 - 11:54 AM, said:

That is funny, I never read this as being a stated purpose.
More importantly, it would be idiotic.

Why cant we have modern FLIR like in Arma 2? Here is an example https://www.youtube....PKDDJbILI#t=41s

It is quite easy to make out objects and warm things glow bright white.

Here is a scope that exists today. It can do color or black and white. It is also MUCH clearer. Plus it fits on an M4 ffs. PGI has no excuse as far as realism. And No excuse as far as feasibility in game.

The one most obvious flaw about this is that Real life is not equal to mechwarrior.

#18 Yemo

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:27 PM

My first control change was setting IR mode to left shift (the second was power from P to E).

If I want to hit stuff, I need thermal mode very often, especially since ecm makes it vital to detecting the enemy in the first place (in the majority of maps).

I would like to see more of the graphics as well...

Edited by Yemo, 17 February 2013 - 12:29 PM.

#19 bloodnor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Locationwarrington Cheshire UK

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:39 PM

View PostBrudlos, on 16 February 2013 - 02:45 PM, said:

Thermal vision looks absolutely terrible. It's like I'm playing a game from early 2000. The game forces you to look at this god awful mess 75% of the time. its a game breaker. I don't want to look at horrible. I don't want to fire at color blobs in the middle more color blobs and hope that that new color blob is a hit on an enemy color blob... Posted Image this early 1990s games graphics look 100% better then thermal mode. At least I can tell what I'm looking at. Don't make you game look worse than it is...

OMG i was playing this today i got it off http://www.abandonia.com/ or was it on the amiga emulator from abondonware i don't remember..... i was also playing Space crusade on DOSBOX. either way yeah its very similar.

#20 lsp

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,618 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:42 PM

http://blog.cytalk.c...sion-device.jpg http://blog.cytalk.c...le-heat-vision/ thermal is fine, and it looks as it should. I use it on every map except caustic. Don't like it, then don't use it.

Edited by lsp, 17 February 2013 - 12:46 PM.

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users