70 replies to this topic

#61 jacobs7th

Rookie

• The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 1 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:52 PM

I like both games. But as a "sim guy" (Falcon4, ArmA 2, DCS Series and so on) I find MWO much more appealing.

#62 Texugo87

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 179 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:55 PM

Also your range of time ends in January 2012...

#63 kuangmk11

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 627 posts
  • LocationW-SEA, Cascadia

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:56 PM

Posted Image

#64 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:57 PM

View Postherosson, on 17 February 2013 - 05:48 PM, said:

At least you can hit what you shoot at in Hawken.....................

They're about equally bad at this.

#65 herosson

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:03 PM

Not from where I am.

#66 Scraper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 104 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:13 PM

Hawken has been hyped for a LONG time, much longer than MWO (unless you count the hype for MW5 which this used to be). I had HUGE interest in it for what it was, until I played it.

MWO is far from perfect, but as a MW fan... I just can't get into it. I guess kinda like I never really liked the Armored Core games, it feels similar. It's actually more punishing as a F2P title the MWO as well (except colors/patterns lol). People complain about the limited choices a F2P player has here... :D

I still think Hawken has its place. It's got the gritty atmosphere down, but it's a twitch shooter with the most skill IMO being power sliding for shots and cover.

This game has a lot more skill/depth possibility in the long run. They just need to hurry up and add more content before the base gets burned out or it will never grow.

#67 Mister Blastman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:32 PM

I played Hawken in both Alpha and the current version. I never could get into it. It just felt... chincy. The mechs felt bad and the gameplay felt worse. The UI is superior but that is about all. I felt... bamboozled when I played Hawken. I was expecting fast-paced flying badassness and instead was presented with clunky, sloppy, sluggish mechs that fire pea shooters.

As much crap as I give the developers of MWO, it is easily superior to Hawken in every way. Every ounce of poo I fling towards PGI is to help them get even better than they already are.

#68 Volume

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:06 PM

View PostVassago Rain, on 17 February 2013 - 04:02 PM, said:

Except for the part where hawken has problems matching people into 4v4 matches, and they're trying to push comics, live-action shows, t-shirts...

The game has a grand total of one viable mech, too. If you think MWO has balance issues, then you don't want to play hawken. I could stomach a couple hours of complete stomps, but that was it.

I feel obligated to point out that 95% of the playerbase of Hawken, especially the paying playerbase, don't realize this fact.

Therefore it might end up making more money, as sad as that seems.

View PostScraper, on 17 February 2013 - 06:13 PM, said:

It's actually more punishing as a F2P title the MWO as well

How do you figure?

Edited by Volume, 17 February 2013 - 10:07 PM.

#69 ChrisOrange

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:56 AM

They are really two totally different games. If you are good at FPS u will be good at Hawken once you learn some of the basics. It's even more accessible to newbs because the rockets can be detonated early in mid-air by clicking the button again.

Also comparing Hawken to BF3/COD is a BIG stretch. Those are "aim-down sights modern military shooters." Nothing even close to hawken's gameplay. I think someone in here compared it to Unreal Tournament but for mechs...which is pretty close except you don't get all of those unreal guns...it's just primary and secondary weapon.

MWO is actually a cool niche to be in because hitting your shots isn't as hard as a real FPS like Quake/Unreal style games or Counter Strike...one of my friends never played FPS before and does -really- well on MWO. The downside to MWO's current gamestyle is that there is not really much to master on an individual skill basis. Still it's pretty fun.

#70 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:51 PM

View PostChrisOrange, on 18 February 2013 - 06:56 AM, said:

They are really two totally different games. If you are good at FPS u will be good at Hawken once you learn some of the basics. It's even more accessible to newbs because the rockets can be detonated early in mid-air by clicking the button again.

Also comparing Hawken to BF3/COD is a BIG stretch. Those are "aim-down sights modern military shooters." Nothing even close to hawken's gameplay. I think someone in here compared it to Unreal Tournament but for mechs...which is pretty close except you don't get all of those unreal guns...it's just primary and secondary weapon.

MWO is actually a cool niche to be in because hitting your shots isn't as hard as a real FPS like Quake/Unreal style games or Counter Strike...one of my friends never played FPS before and does -really- well on MWO. The downside to MWO's current gamestyle is that there is not really much to master on an individual skill basis. Still it's pretty fun.

I met a wall of bullets, and there wasn't a single player hanging out 'in the ghetto,' carrying n00bs to occasional victories. It basically came down to level 25 scouts ruining me repeatedly, or simply not finding a game.

2/10, would not play again. Mechs should have hit zones.

#71 WolvenHammer

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 03:28 PM

MWO is for the Elite mechpilots, Hawken is for those hyperactive noob kids who cant be bothered to learn strategy and are happy with "shoot them all up by spamming every gun you have" - game concept. End of disussion.

Now, if youl ecuse me, my Atlas came from battle and I got few spiders to smush ->

See you on the battlefied.

14 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 14 guests, 0 anonymous users