How Can A Cryengine Game Be So Ugly?

228 replies to this topic

#141 Konrad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 769 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:46 PM

You think that's a cop out? How does your beta look? Screen shots would be helpful.

#142 nksharp

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:50 PM

View PostKonrad, on 20 February 2013 - 01:46 PM, said:

You think that's a cop out? How does your beta look? Screen shots would be helpful.

Of what exactly? I have hundreds.

Mechs look pretty good but everything else is pretty bad.

Not sure why we got people coming into a thread saying 'beta' instead of actually having a conversation though. Hopefully when/if dx11 comes back it looks a bit better.

#143 Konrad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 769 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:52 PM

Because the game is in Beta. There isn't anything to talk about at the moment. But if you are that concerned about it you could always pull apart the .ini's in another Crytec game.

#144 nksharp

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:54 PM

View PostKonrad, on 20 February 2013 - 01:52 PM, said:

Because the game is in Beta. There isn't anything to talk about at the moment. But if you are that concerned about it you could always pull apart the .ini's in another Crytec game.

Clearly there is nothing to talk about, why do you even come on the forums then, to troll?

#145 Konrad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 769 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:56 PM

haha what?

PS where are the screenshots?

#146 nksharp

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:57 PM

View PostKonrad, on 20 February 2013 - 01:56 PM, said:

haha what?

PS where are the screenshots?

I asked, of what. I unfortunately don't have many pictures of muddy grounds and the bad textures all over the place.

#147 Konrad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 769 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:01 PM

Then it makes it very hard for people to help you. Take some screens as well as list your video settings. I will look for your reply.

#148 nksharp

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:05 PM

Here are random pics I have though. Again, I think the mechs are decent but terrain is a little bad. No clue on my settings, here are my system specs :

i5 2500k @ 4ghz
8gb samsung ram (1866 I believe atm on 7,7,7,24 or something)
amd 7970

Spoiler

I also have a slew of videos taken back from closed beta (when you could actually do 8 man drops against people you wanted to drop against ) :

http://www.youtube.c...51?feature=mhee

Edited by nksharp, 20 February 2013 - 02:08 PM.

#149 StryfeDiesel

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:07 PM

I can't believe that there people defending the graphics. They are subpar. With Nvidia as one of the sponsors you would think having crisp graphics would be a priority. There is no reason for me to upgrade to a GTX680 or even 660 for crying out loud if PGI can't put a better effort in the maps. There is a certain expectation when you create a game using the Crytek 3 engine that the game is going to be visually appealing. There is no Wow factor as far as the graphics are concerned. I'm not saying that it has to be as beautiful as Crysis 3, but you should at least be able to tell that the game was made with the CR3 engine. I'm not getting that with this game.

"But it's in beta!" Ok, maybe I should buy those hero mechs with beta money. People are spending real money customizing their mechs to look Awesome (get it), so the should look Awesome on any map. I would be more willing to buy MCs if I was happy with graphics.

The game has other issues, but graphics issue should be a priority especially when trying to woo new players into the MWO universe. The maps look significantly worse than any modern game. Just switching to DX11 is not going to fix that. Hopefully these issues are fixed soon and I can shoot a few AC 20 rounds from my Atlas at the bridge on Rivercity and bring it down along with the Catapult LRM boat.

#150 Golfin Man

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 162 posts
  • Locationyour flank

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:10 PM

View PostDCM Zeus, on 20 February 2013 - 03:52 AM, said:

I agree with this, 7 year old tech has really caused a backwards step in graphics these days.

One of many reasons why i hate consoles.

I would agree with you except for the fact that not everyone can keep up with the hundreds if not thousands of dollars of computer technology often required by these games. Furthermore not everyone is capable of using a mouse and keyboard. While I would say computers have infinitely more possibilities and a much wider array for controls, a controller is often more accessible to older folks or young children.

#151 Helmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ga

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:17 PM

View Postnksharp, on 20 February 2013 - 02:05 PM, said:

I also have a slew of videos taken back from closed beta (when you could actually do 8 man drops against people you wanted to drop against ) :

http://www.youtube.c...51?feature=mhee

Back in closed Beta when you were kindly asked to NOT take any form of media?

Cheers.

#152 Iron Frost

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 87 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:27 PM

I have to say that I agree with the OP. As a completely novice map maker, I taught myself to use sandbox and ended up making a number of maps for Mechwarrior Living Legends. The quality of the current maps in MWO really makes me sad (considering it's professionals being paid to make them). Alpine Peaks looks like total garbage to me, given that snow maps are one of the easiest mediums to work on...

Here's some early version shots from one of the maps I made (final version looks better)... Once I'm home later I'll post some better pictures that demonstrate what 'large' maps without stupid amounts of fog / color blandness look like:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Iron Frost, 20 February 2013 - 02:30 PM.

#153 Iron Frost

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 87 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:24 PM

Btw, to those saying graphics are unimportant... really?

#154 Tice Daurus

• 2,001 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationOak Forest, IL

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:25 PM

View PostStryfeDiesel, on 20 February 2013 - 02:07 PM, said:

I can't believe that there people defending the graphics. They are subpar. With Nvidia as one of the sponsors you would think having crisp graphics would be a priority. There is no reason for me to upgrade to a GTX680 or even 660 for crying out loud if PGI can't put a better effort in the maps. There is a certain expectation when you create a game using the Crytek 3 engine that the game is going to be visually appealing. There is no Wow factor as far as the graphics are concerned. I'm not saying that it has to be as beautiful as Crysis 3, but you should at least be able to tell that the game was made with the CR3 engine. I'm not getting that with this game.

"But it's in beta!" Ok, maybe I should buy those hero mechs with beta money. People are spending real money customizing their mechs to look Awesome (get it), so the should look Awesome on any map. I would be more willing to buy MCs if I was happy with graphics.

The game has other issues, but graphics issue should be a priority especially when trying to woo new players into the MWO universe. The maps look significantly worse than any modern game. Just switching to DX11 is not going to fix that. Hopefully these issues are fixed soon and I can shoot a few AC 20 rounds from my Atlas at the bridge on Rivercity and bring it down along with the Catapult LRM boat.

We're not saying they are works of art. We're saying they look good. Can they be better? Absolutely. Plus people's ideas of good is SUBJECTIVE. So if I say it's good, who are you to criticize my opinion and right to say what I want?

Bottom line, there is work to be done. But here's the thing...complaining about it now, while we are still in OPEN BETA is futile. The DEV's know it needs work, you know it, I know it, and everyone else does knows it. But you and some of the others who are still complaining about it is not going to amount to even a hill of beans. So let the DEV's do their job. Let PGI work on hiring new people to help them out so we can get more people in here to help the game grow.

Or you could be a whiny beyotch and complain more, in which you are entitled to do. But don't plan on the rest of us allowing you to provide more negative waves for the rest of us, Moriearty.

http://youtu.be/0AEj3LA2vSo

Edited by Tice Daurus, 20 February 2013 - 03:28 PM.

#155 Undead Bane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:28 PM

Hm. Minecraft, anyone?

#156 Tice Daurus

• 2,001 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationOak Forest, IL

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:29 PM

View PostIron Frost, on 20 February 2013 - 02:27 PM, said:

I have to say that I agree with the OP. As a completely novice map maker, I taught myself to use sandbox and ended up making a number of maps for Mechwarrior Living Legends. The quality of the current maps in MWO really makes me sad (considering it's professionals being paid to make them). Alpine Peaks looks like total garbage to me, given that snow maps are one of the easiest mediums to work on...

Here's some early version shots from one of the maps I made (final version looks better)... Once I'm home later I'll post some better pictures that demonstrate what 'large' maps without stupid amounts of fog / color blandness look like:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Iron...have you considered working for PGI?

#157 Dirkdaring

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 685 posts
  • LocationTwycross

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:38 PM

It's almost like the game is in beta!

#158 Iron Frost

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 87 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:43 PM

View PostTice Daurus, on 20 February 2013 - 03:29 PM, said:

Iron...have you considered working for PGI?

I dont think they'd pay me enough to build maps. ;) That would be awesome though... it was a really fun hobby when I was at it.

#159 ollo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:10 PM

View PostMister Blastman, on 20 February 2013 - 08:04 AM, said:

Posted Image

What game is this? I remeber it, steerable bullets, right?

#160 ollo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:17 PM

View PostEvilSpaceOrc, on 20 February 2013 - 02:54 AM, said:

Thread title pretty much says it all, I'm getting really annoyed by how irritating some of the graphical shortcomings are.

I don't believe that its only me who gets so distracted by all the issues with the parallax materials for example, if you look at those surfaces at any angle higher than lets say 30 it appears too heavily distorted (and in CryEngine SDK there is a single slider to adjust that...). It looks really silly when you are moving over the terrain and you can see the rocks kind of morphing as you pass by. If there is any material blend, you will see depth of the rock material change, while for example snow on top of them will seems to be floating above, completely breaking the immersion.

At least this is related to DX9 i think - no displacement maps, only crappy bumpmapping.

What annoys me most is the loooooooow quality of LOD transitions, if you look at a spot you're running to, it happily pops in details and structure the hard way. There are no smooth transitions, and on virtually every map there are spots where the groud tiles don't match in great distances, so you see triangles and N-gons of holes in the map... ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users