How Can A Cryengine Game Be So Ugly?

228 replies to this topic

#161 nksharp

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:49 PM

View PostHelmer, on 20 February 2013 - 02:17 PM, said:

Back in closed Beta when you were kindly asked to NOT take any form of media?

Cheers.

Never published them until after closed beta but nice try, or were we not suppose to take ANY videos of any kind....you know, like the one they posted of a match that was in closed beta on their FRONT page for a RHOD match ;)

#162 rgreat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 851 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:06 PM

View PostIron Frost, on 20 February 2013 - 03:43 PM, said:

I dont think they'd pay me enough to build maps. ;) That would be awesome though... it was a really fun hobby when I was at it.

Still, send them a letter.

I bet they have enough money for person who can make (and already did) crysis based maps for mechwarrior.

#163 StryfeDiesel

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:11 PM

View PostTice Daurus, on 20 February 2013 - 03:25 PM, said:

We're not saying they are works of art. We're saying they look good. Can they be better? Absolutely. Plus people's ideas of good is SUBJECTIVE. So if I say it's good, who are you to criticize my opinion and right to say what I want?

Bottom line, there is work to be done. But here's the thing...complaining about it now, while we are still in OPEN BETA is futile. The DEV's know it needs work, you know it, I know it, and everyone else does knows it. But you and some of the others who are still complaining about it is not going to amount to even a hill of beans. So let the DEV's do their job. Let PGI work on hiring new people to help them out so we can get more people in here to help the game grow.

Or you could be a whiny beyotch and complain more, in which you are entitled to do. But don't plan on the rest of us allowing you to provide more negative waves for the rest of us, Moriearty.

http://youtu.be/0AEj3LA2vSo

So voicing your opinion equates to being in your words "a whiny beyotch". ;) If that's the case then everyone on this forum is just "a whiny beyotch". Whether it's complaing about premades, pugs, ecm, netcode, etc...by your logic we should all just keep quite and hope the devs get to it. Nah, you keep quiet. I'm going to voice my opinion in order to make the game better. I would hate for the game to still be in open beta by the time 2014 rolls around.

#164 Budor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:20 PM

Heres a nice screenshot. I will revisit with awfull ones tomorrow...

Posted Image

Edited by Budor, 20 February 2013 - 05:21 PM.

#165 Helmer

• Stone Cold
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ga

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:26 PM

View Postnksharp, on 20 February 2013 - 04:49 PM, said:

Never published them until after closed beta but nice try, or were we not suppose to take ANY videos of any kind....you know, like the one they posted of a match that was in closed beta on their FRONT page for a RHOD match ;)

NO media was to be taken of any kind, as was clearly stated. Nice try.

Although moderation is never discussed, I can assure you it is handled as reported. Including notating accounts of violators possibly negating any future participation in contests, give away, special prizes, special access or future events.
Unless, of course, they had express permission from PGI or IGP as some groups, individuals, and media outlets had.

Cheers and HOBOHAIL!

Edited by Helmer, 20 February 2013 - 05:36 PM.

#166 Ashnod

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,636 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:35 PM

I accidently hit a tree in river it with a gauss rifle post last patch... and it fell over, I was sorta dumb founded and watched as it slowly fell onto the ground.

View PostIron Frost, on 20 February 2013 - 02:27 PM, said:

I have to say that I agree with the OP. As a completely novice map maker, I taught myself to use sandbox and ended up making a number of maps for Mechwarrior Living Legends. The quality of the current maps in MWO really makes me sad (considering it's professionals being paid to make them). Alpine Peaks looks like total garbage to me, given that snow maps are one of the easiest mediums to work on...

Here's some early version shots from one of the maps I made (final version looks better)... Once I'm home later I'll post some better pictures that demonstrate what 'large' maps without stupid amounts of fog / color blandness look like:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Obviously cry engine 2 is better than 3.

#167 Joe Mallad

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,740 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:36 PM

I will have to say... While i like this game, it really could look sooooooomuch better. The mech look good but the maps and the environments are very boring and drab.

Edited by Yoseful Mallad, 20 February 2013 - 05:54 PM.

#168 SgtMagor

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:49 PM

yup yup, open beta. kind of a moot point.

#169 Mister Blastman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:53 PM

View Postollo, on 20 February 2013 - 04:10 PM, said:

What game is this? I remeber it, steerable bullets, right?

Well, in one of the game modes yeah, it did have steerable bullets. It literally was called "Combat."

#170 Iron Frost

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 87 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:11 PM

OK, I said I'd upload a few more shots of maps made in cry engine 2 and why I'm disappointed with the current ones..

First up, we think Alpine Peaks is large? The combat range on this map is 2km+ easily in areas (also varied with the cover provided)

Posted Image

This map is 8x8 km with the air bases almost at the edge of the respective corners (to give a size perspective)

Posted Image

How maps should look at night imo...

Posted Image

With mech spotlight! Can you guess which mech this is?

Posted Image

Here's something different... and quite similar to something we see here. Btw, the tree's are destructible...

Posted Image

Very early prototype of this map, but something tropical ;)

Posted Image

#171 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:14 PM

View Postlsp, on 20 February 2013 - 03:08 AM, said:

Looks fine to me, I don't pay attention to the gravel on the ground though, I'm too busy looking for the other team. I'm glad it's not as colorful as the first crysis , I don't want to be playing a fantasy cartoony mechwarrior game.

so dont paint your mech and pretend others dont either... get the color scale on your monitor to b/w.
I LIKE color in my mech games

and the guess is a Rifleman

Edited by Mechwarrior Buddah, 20 February 2013 - 07:16 PM.

#172 Asbestos71

Rookie

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:49 PM

yeah. they really held back I thought... but then again, so are alot of games nowa days. [REDACTED]

Edited by Viterbi, 21 February 2013 - 08:32 PM.
Removed offensive language

#173 Mavairo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:00 PM

View PostBudor, on 20 February 2013 - 10:30 AM, said:

Rift is fugly. Not so much on the technical side but the art design is awfull.

I think MWO looks really good as far as the mechs, effects and animations go.

The maps lack though. Forrest Colony is nice in the standard version and River city looks good to (although it has horrible LOD issues since the "performance pass") so does caustic but the other maps are somehow uninspired.

Frozen city is well foggy and thats it. The night version has a cool skybox and people like it because you can finally see the mechs clearly on a mwo map but the buildings look very bland. Copy pasted all over the place.

River night might look good but its thermal city so yeah.

Alpine looks flat out boring. It severely lacks any sort of clutter, vegetation/rocks or stuff going on in the skybox. No idea if its due to technical limitations (fps) or playtesting the layout but the "art/design" couldnt have taken that long... The icey layer on the mountains is kind of nifty though ^^

I think RIFT's artwork looks great actually.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image Sure there's some duds in the game too, but for the most part it's great quality and great looking art and I like the style most of the time for a fantasy game. The sheer size of the game for as young as it is with the quality level involved is respect worthy if nothing else.

The mechs aren't really my biggest beef with MWO, it's the god awful environments. I think Frozen City Night looks decent if only because it's not layered in the thickest fogging that PGI could throw on everything to hide the sub par texturing.

I've seen alot of the 'it's beta'' guys posting about how this game is going to some how dramatically improve upon launch. Having been in a handful betas in modern games now (STO, RIFT, star wars, this game's, guild wars) the graphics aren't what improves. Stability, does, frame rate will. It's more than likely that what we see now in terms of graphic quality is what we get, which is disappointing given just how beautiful a Cry Engine game can look, and given the performance requirements this game has to get over 30 FPS on high specs.

Do I think MWO is the worst thing ever for being graphically fugly? Not really, but when I see my PC chugging the same load or more than it does in Crysis 1 or 2 I expect abit more you know? Especially with as far along as we are in the development cycle at this point.

And for those that say "I don't want bright vibrant colors that's cartoony!" By the way the corvette photos were taken on a partly cloudy day. And there's more light and vibrancy than you find anywhere in MWO. You can even see the clouds reflecting in my car's clear coat :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

How about in the heart of a forest?
Posted Image

Life is vibrant, life is bright. Life is colorful. I think people that think otherwise need to either A drive out of the city for a while and get away from all the greys, or B step out of the basement or their rooms during the daylight and take a look outside.

Edited by Mavairo, 20 February 2013 - 11:09 PM.

#174 ChrisOrange

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:04 PM

View PostInertiaman, on 20 February 2013 - 03:40 AM, said:

It's ok guys DX11 is coming last September. Be patient. It's a beta.

nothing just the quote

#175 jakucha

• Knight Errant
  • 2,413 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:06 PM

View PostChrisOrange, on 20 February 2013 - 11:04 PM, said:

nothing just the quote

Tell us then what makes it not a beta? Just because people want to spend money on it doesn't make it not a beta, so tell us.

#176 Sifright

• 2,218 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom, High Wycombe

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:29 PM

View Postjakucha, on 20 February 2013 - 11:06 PM, said:

Tell us then what makes it not a beta? Just because people want to spend money on it doesn't make it not a beta, so tell us.

Wait you think he is saying people are calling it a released game because THEY want to spend money on it?

Posted Image

So basically you are saying you think a game which will have no further wipe to the account database in terms of assets is still a beta?

Posted Image

WELP.

#177 Commander Kobold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:40 PM

View PostCybercobra, on 20 February 2013 - 03:41 AM, said:

im sorry but who actualy gives a DAMN about graphics? this game could be running in frikking DOSbox and i would care becouse i play games to have FUN, not to have my eyes sprinkeled with pretty pictures. ill go to a art gallery or a movie if i want that.

graphics don't make a game, but particularily bad/sub par graphics can break one.

#178 Havok1978

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 371 posts
  • LocationTexaz!!

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:46 PM

Well for starters the problems you stated arent simply a cryengine game problem... its a physics engine problem.
The two go hand in hand to an extent but arent the same.
So, blame Havok for this... just not me :)

#179 Chavette

• Little Helper
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:47 PM

View PostMavairo, on 20 February 2013 - 11:00 PM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

Life is vibrant, life is bright. Life is colorful. I think people that think otherwise need to either A drive out of the city for a while and get away from all the greys, or B step out of the basement or their rooms during the daylight and take a look outside.

You know we're a pretty damn advanced society if you gotta link real life pics in a forum to remind us basement dwellers what it looks like. :)

#180 jakucha

• Knight Errant
  • 2,413 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:50 PM

View PostMavairo, on 20 February 2013 - 11:00 PM, said:

I think RIFT's artwork looks great actually.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image Sure there's some duds in the game too, but for the most part it's great quality and great looking art and I like the style most of the time for a fantasy game. The sheer size of the game for as young as it is with the quality level involved is respect worthy if nothing else.

The mechs aren't really my biggest beef with MWO, it's the god awful environments. I think Frozen City Night looks decent if only because it's not layered in the thickest fogging that PGI could throw on everything to hide the sub par texturing.

I've seen alot of the 'it's beta'' guys posting about how this game is going to some how dramatically improve upon launch. Having been in a handful betas in modern games now (STO, RIFT, star wars, this game's, guild wars) the graphics aren't what improves. Stability, does, frame rate will. It's more than likely that what we see now in terms of graphic quality is what we get, which is disappointing given just how beautiful a Cry Engine game can look, and given the performance requirements this game has to get over 30 FPS on high specs.

Do I think MWO is the worst thing ever for being graphically fugly? Not really, but when I see my PC chugging the same load or more than it does in Crysis 1 or 2 I expect abit more you know? Especially with as far along as we are in the development cycle at this point.

And for those that say "I don't want bright vibrant colors that's cartoony!" By the way the corvette photos were taken on a partly cloudy day. And there's more light and vibrancy than you find anywhere in MWO. You can even see the clouds reflecting in my car's clear coat :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

A planet that's engulfed in war would have a ton of dust though, which could muck up all that nature.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users