40 replies to this topic

#1 80Bit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 555 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:49 AM

Everyone is buzzing about the new 50 Ton Medium Mech, the Trebuchet.

There are plenty of posts about it, I just thought I would consolidate some information into a review post. The point of this quick review is to give subjective info on the 5 Trebuchet variants, and what roles they may excel at. For full info on the Trebuchet and other mechs I recommend http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/

This is a Trebuchet (TBT 7-M Pictured)

Posted Image

The Trebuchet has a general design goal of long range indirect fire support (LRMS), though some variants have a more brawler configuration. The primary design feature on most variants are the two large (15 tube) missile launchers, one on the right torso and one on the left arm, backed up by several energy hard points. As a 50 ton mech, the Treb can hold just as much armor (338) as the Hunchback and Centurion, since armor is based directly on tonnage. All the Trebs can take up to a 325 engine, with one variant capable of using a 390. This means a lot of Trebuchets build can take them around the 100 KPH mark, a good 20 KPH faster than Hunchbacks and Centurions. Two of the Trebuchets can use Jump Jets, which makes them the only jump jetting medium. None of them are ECM capable.

Some people are disappointed with the Trebuchet in general because they were hoping for another Centurion A mech, capable of running 3 SRM6 systems. None of the Trebuchets can do that unfortunately, and so many are dismissing them as inferior mechs to Hunchbacks and Centurions. But if brawling is not their strong suit, what is? Since all the Trebuchets have the ability to run at a zippy 100 KPH plus, they actually work well in their historical role, long range fire support. That fire support can either be indicted with LRMS, direct with PPCs, or a mix of both.

After playing across all the maps in my first Trebuchet, the TBT-5N, I can confirm it actually excels at this role. The ability to throw out 25-30 LRMs per salvo, while self tagging and moving at 90+KPH to maintain distance, I have had several 500+ damage matches so far, with typical matches in the 300-400 damage range. Arm mounted TAG lets you move at a greater than 90 degree angle to your target to keep distance, while maintaining TAG and raining your LRMS, ECM be damned.

Because speed is a main hallmark of the Trebuchet, and since they also have a lot of weapon hard points, I expect to see a lot of XL engine usage. When you look at builds around standard engines, you end up with the feeling that you would be better off in a Centurion or Hunchback.

-Variants-

TBT-5N
Max Engine: 325
-Hard Points-
Left Arm: 1 Energy, 1 Missile (15 tubes)
Right Torso: 1 Missile (15)
Right Arm: 3 Energy
Jump Jets: None

This is the "base" variant of the Trebuchet. With no jumpjets like the similar 7M, and a lower max engine rating compared to the 3C that has the same number of hard points, people may relegate this variant to the "never buying" category. But this was the first Trebuchet on my shopping list for one good reason. Like the 7K, the 5N has an extra 25 degrees of torso twist (115 degrees) compared to the other variants. Combined with the two 15 tube launchers and good speed, this gives you a very nimble LRM platform that can run slightly away from targets while still maintaining LRM lock. While other mechs in the game can do this, none combine arm mounted TAG and high speed like the TBT-5N does. For other roles such as skirmisher, the TBT-5N is not bad, but other variants do seem better.

TBT-3C
Max Engine: 390
-Hard Points-
Left Arm: 1 Energy, 1 Missile (15)
Center: 1 Energy
Right Arm: 2 Energy

The 3C has the same number of hard points that the 5N has, but one energy is moved from the right arm to the center torso. It also drops the extra torso twist of the 5N in exchange for the largest max engine size of 390. With a max engine, this mech will move at a blazing 126.4 KPH pre-tweak. This gives the mech good scouting and skirmishing capabilities, though the center mounted energy point may be a bit annoying in high speed turning fights. Because of the high speed this mech can still be used for mobile LRM support, but when using the max engine fitting two full LRM15 launchers is going to be a stretch on tonnage. Still, based on this unique max engine rating I suspect to see a fair number of 3Cs in battle.

TBT-5J
-Hard Points-
Left Arm: 2 Energy,
Right Arm: 3 Energy
Jump Jets: 5

This variant drops the left arm missile launcher for an extra energy hard point and jump jets. This gives it the ability to fill a role as fast energy skirmisher. I expect many will load it out like a faster Hunchback 4SP that has jump jets. We may see some jump jet snipers too, but at 50 tons you won't be able to fit more than two PPCs effectively which seems like a waste of potential on this mech.

TBT-7M
-Hard Points-

Left Arm: 1 Energy, 1 Missile (15)
Left Torso: 1 Missile (1)
Right Arm: 2 Energy
Jump Jets: 5

The 7M is the variant brawlers got excited about. With jump jets and 3 missile hard points, people were excited for another CN9-A. Unfortunately, the left torso missile hard point only has as single launcher tube, meaning it will not work for shoving out SRM6 missiles effectively. But the 7M can still rock 2xSRM6 1xSRM2 effectively, with three lasers, jump jets and high speed to boot. This will likely become a very popular variant used for brawling, though how effective it can be compared to the other 50 tonners remains to be seen.

TBT-7K
-Hard Points-
Left Torso: 2 Ballistic
Right Torso: 2 Energy
Right Arm: 2 Missile (2)

This monstrosity is sure to end up on your Christmas "don't buy" list. It can best be compared to a Hunchback 4G or 4H, with its ability to run a torso mounted AC20. But with only 2 energy points, and two lackluster missile points limited to 2 tubes, it is going to take some very creative mech building to make this variant viable.

Please share your feed back, personal experience with these variants, and mech builds. Thanks!

Edited by 80Bit, 20 February 2013 - 10:07 AM.

#2 Wittyname Terribad

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 72 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:13 AM

I picked up both jump-capable Trebbys last night and did about 5 games in each. The 7M set up exactly as you described (2 SRM6, SRM2, 3 ML, XL300, 5JJ) is a wonderful little mobile brawler. It feels like a flying 4SP. Really enjoy it

Ran the 5J with 2 ERPPC, and SRM6, 250XL and 4JJ, had a lot of fun with it. Worked very nicely as a light bouncy sniper, with SRMs to deter lights from getting in my face

#3 80Bit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 555 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:30 AM

The 5J will be my next purchase. Looking at a fast brawling laser build like this: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4a5696350febbdd

#4 August55

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 295 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:35 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2e4decf5287ae5b

My 7m is fine as a brawler. The single tube launcher is great for accurate shooting.

#5 XXRAZERBACKXX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 347 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSan Diego, CA , USA

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:35 AM

had fun with mine I bought a 7m
kept the xl250
kept all 5 jj

took the lrm 15's off and replaced them lrm5's
took narc out and replaced it and lrm 5

2 med lasers R arm 1 ER-L in L arm

so speed was 82 which im happy with in a medium and I could fly around map with
the real interesting thing is the single tube for the narc that i replaced with an lrm it makes my fire constant and interesting
10-11111-10-11111-10 kinda like that it was fun
wasnt boasting many kills but it was fun to play with got lots of damage and stayed alive

#6 Zaptruder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 716 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:54 AM

After unlocking the master tier with my 7m, I have to say, it's absolutely a top tier brawler.

Very agile, very maneuverable, with 3 arm mounted MLs and 1 SSRM2. 2SRM6s to deliver a mighty blow as well... and the jump jets... are a thing of wonder. The ability to fade in and out of battle, and spread damage around the mech (upper and lower torso) quite liberally makes it very survivable. Also great at killing lights; able to keep up and slam those SRM6s into them.

I feel a bit sad about this, as I loved my 4SP; but this thing just outclasses it completely.

I had one particularly sore fellow cry for nerfs after my performance in this mech; claiming that jump jets and SRM6s were a form of game mechanic abuse, and that it would be reviewed and nerfed like the Cataphract 3D poptarts.

#7 Regrets

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 382 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:12 AM

View PostAugust55, on 20 February 2013 - 10:35 AM, said:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2e4decf5287ae5b

My 7m is fine as a brawler. The single tube launcher is great for accurate shooting.

There is no way a SRM2+art is worth it. Chuck it and extra ammo would probably be better.

#8 August55

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 295 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:37 PM

View PostRegrets, on 20 February 2013 - 11:12 AM, said:

There is no way a SRM2+art is worth it. Chuck it and extra ammo would probably be better.

The accuracy it gives helps, but that's just me. I have it both in the SRM alpha and its own separate firing selection.

Edited by August55, 20 February 2013 - 12:37 PM.

#9 ryoma

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:53 PM

Want to make a mobile missile platform with Tag, hows this build?
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f21c3b76978f9af

#10 Matchstick

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:14 PM

I've been having fun with the 7M, I put 2x SRM6 2xML 1xLpulse.... great little in fighter

#11 80Bit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 555 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:20 PM

View Postryoma, on 20 February 2013 - 12:53 PM, said:

Want to make a mobile missile platform with Tag, hows this build?
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f21c3b76978f9af

That's a good looking build.

You may end up switching that DHS for an extra ton of ammo though. I have actually ran out of Ammo several times in my Trebuchet because you have the mobility to stay alive and use it all, and you fire quite fast with no delay from insufficient tubes.

#12 Voridan Atreides

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,149 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSittin on Turn 3 at Elkhart watchin the Corvettes roar by....I wish. (Stockholm, WI, USA)

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:58 PM

View Postundead1904, on 20 February 2013 - 10:35 AM, said:

had fun with mine I bought a 7m
kept the xl250
kept all 5 jj

took the lrm 15's off and replaced them lrm5's
took narc out and replaced it and lrm 5

2 med lasers R arm 1 ER-L in L arm

so speed was 82 which im happy with in a medium and I could fly around map with
the real interesting thing is the single tube for the narc that i replaced with an lrm it makes my fire constant and interesting
10-11111-10-11111-10 kinda like that it was fun
wasnt boasting many kills but it was fun to play with got lots of damage and stayed alive

How does the LRM5 work for you with the Narc tube? Would'nt it be better just to turn your arm or torso LRM5 into an LRM10? Just an observation.

#13 Taizan

Com Guard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts
  • LocationGalatea (NRW)

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:12 PM

I'm not enjoying the 7M up till now - I guess I'm comparing it too much to my HBK-SP which seems much more robust. Still need to get used to the JJs, as it's my first jump capable mech. Most of the time I completely forget about them.

Just trying it out with 325 XL 3 ML / SRMs 5 JJs - still feels a bit meh, but then again I haven't unlocked all skils.

Edited by Taizan, 20 February 2013 - 02:23 PM.

#14 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:28 PM

View PostTaizan, on 20 February 2013 - 02:12 PM, said:

I'm not enjoying the 7M up till now - I guess I'm comparing it too much to my HBK-SP which seems much more robust. Still need to get used to the JJs, as it's my first jump capable mech. Most of the time I completely forget about them.

I was exactly the same. Now I've removed a couple of DHS to make room for more jumpjets. The trick is to fly OVER your opponents. You can get some great shots in as you soar over your enemies, chuckling evilly as their torso mounted weapons flail ineffectually at the ground beneath your legs.

With 4jj, I can get in an srm burst to their face, and another into their back after pirouetting through the air. JJs are also great for turning; fire a blast for about 2/3 of a second and you'll find you can turn on a dime.

Just be aware that longer jumps slow you dramatically, meaning there will be a few seconds of impending doom to try and live through if you finish a longer jump within the guns of a larger mech.

#15 Business

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:01 PM

Here's a quick build of mine. I'd prefer a third ton of ammo for the SRMs, though

#16 Faylin

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3 posts
  • LocationBulgaria

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:15 PM

The 7K ain't that bad, it just needs a little love. ;) Been having a lot of fun with this : http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a5009f3f4d2db28 normally I'm around 300-400 dmg, had a couple of games with 700-950 dmg and 5,6 kills. The tubes are kind of strange at first but once you get used to them they are really good for dealing precise dmg and shooting lights.

#17 1453 R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:18 PM

Been using my shiny new 7M most of the day, focusing on actually keeping LRMs in the LRM tubes. Funnily enough, it actually makes a really great pocket LRM machine. You don't have the enormous salvos or endless missile reserves of the Catapult or Stalker, but my particular 7M hits 97kph at the top of its throttle, and those jump jets... It does have ammunition issues in longer fights, but I'm also fast enough to be a credible cap threat, and to get my tubes into play where they're needed.

Heh...much as I figured looking at the stats, the thing is a nasty mid-rangeish striker when it works out. You tend to work closer to the minimum range than the maximum for those LRMs half the time, but that often means nothing more than that the enemy has a lot less time to dodge.

#18 Krazy Kat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:12 PM

Good review!
Here's my quick summary:

5N + more torso twist
- none
3C + 1 E hardpoint moved to center, fastest variant
- none
5J + 1 extra E hardpoint, 5 jump jets
- lose one missle hardpoint
7M + gets one narc tube, 5 jump jets
- none
7K + gets 2 ballistic hardpoints, more torso twist
- lose 2 energy hardpoints, lose all lrm's

#19 Stringburka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 597 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:55 PM

Good review, though I don't agree with your opinion on the 7K. With two missile hardpoints, a large ballistic fit, two energy fits and a great torso twist it seems like a good 'mech to use for light hunting - mount 2xSSRM2, 2xML and an LB10-X (or AC-10 if you're a good shot) and the max engine for it. Should dish out some serious damage, similar to this centurion, but trading an SSRM for like 30-40 kph.

#20 saintchuck

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:57 PM

My review:

Awesomer than an Awesome.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users