157 replies to this topic

#121 DONTOR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,804 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 08 October 2014 - 02:24 PM

Haha ya or wreckng IS lights all the same.

#122 Bluttrunken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 830 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 09:45 AM

I'm playing the Trebuchet a bit like a overgrown Light. Fast skirmishers with JJ's. The amount of Firepower, Speed and Agility is great, though.

My current builds(circa, actual armor value might not be the same)

5J: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...29435c7a14ea81d
LPG: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b0805bf0ab56951
3C: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...cab77d78f2387f9

I didn't test Sniping or LRM builds so far, but I believe some variants might be mean LRM Harrassers, because a moving lurm boat which can assess the battlefield situation for himself is the most dangerous lurm boat.

Edited by k05h3lk1n, 18 October 2014 - 01:44 PM.

#123 Hospy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 162 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 04:00 PM

CASE doesn't do anything if you have an XL engine, just a fyi.

It stops ammo explosion damage from spreading to other sections, but everything in that section is still toast.

#124 Rando Slim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 459 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 03:27 PM

Ive been having a lot of fun with my "trollbucket" a Treb 3C with an xl-390, 4 medium lasers, and an srm 4. Stuff it with modules. Scare the crap out of light makes, twist like a madman. Imagine something as big as a treb running 85 miles per hour in real life.....scary

#125 UrAllJerks

• Pip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 10:49 PM

I've just started with Trebuchets after avoiding them for quite some time. The 7k is my favorite so far: it has good hard point locations and the arms can be made to be totally disposable for really rewarding longevity without compromised firepower. I've been running this:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7e45f90a3f03a6e
which can be summarized as 2xLL and a LB10. I've also toyed with 2xAC5 and 2xML but wasn't as satisfied. I agree with the previous posted who suggested medium mechs are more satisfying when they're rather quick and these builds both utilize a 300XL so match YLW speeds.

#126 rangergord

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 47 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 08:51 AM

View PostUrAllJerks, on 30 October 2014 - 10:49 PM, said:

I've just started with Trebuchets after avoiding them for quite some time. The 7k is my favorite so far: it has good hard point locations and the arms can be made to be totally disposable for really rewarding longevity without compromised firepower. I've been running this:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7e45f90a3f03a6e
which can be summarized as 2xLL and a LB10. I've also toyed with 2xAC5 and 2xML but wasn't as satisfied. I agree with the previous posted who suggested medium mechs are more satisfying when they're rather quick and these builds both utilize a 300XL so match YLW speeds.

I run something similar with ERLL's and a 280XL for more heat sinks. Didn't like the 2xAC5 + 2xML either. Too bad the quirks for the 7K are PPC/AC5. It's about 3 tons short of really being able to pull that off.

#127 Thousand Clowns

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 10:43 PM

107 kph missile boat:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6cc3e93d1872a08

The ammo amount is just right if you're appropriately picky with your shots. The speed is huge for dodging missiles, pop locking, and getting away. Dual LRM 15 tubes is the reason to play this over a Griffin, and it will only get better with the quirk pass.

You can run same thing in the 7m, just with different weapon placement.

#128 rangergord

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 47 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 04:05 PM

View PostThousand Clowns, on 02 November 2014 - 10:43 PM, said:

107 kph missile boat:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6cc3e93d1872a08

The ammo amount is just right if you're appropriately picky with your shots. The speed is huge for dodging missiles, pop locking, and getting away. Dual LRM 15 tubes is the reason to play this over a Griffin, and it will only get better with the quirk pass.

You can run same thing in the 7m, just with different weapon placement.

That's a bit light on ammo, especially with the cooldowns coming.

Edited by rangergord, 03 November 2014 - 04:06 PM.

#129 Thousand Clowns

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 02:39 AM

View Postrangergord, on 03 November 2014 - 04:05 PM, said:

That's a bit light on ammo, especially with the cooldowns coming.

Yeah, it will be easy to run dry with full level weapon modules + new quirks without some serious trigger discipline, but I will likely stick to this loadout. I've run some 1440 ammo medium LRM boats as well, but found them too one dimensional without this level of speed or hitting power of the backup lasers. My view is that frontloading damage in the right places is more valuable to the fight than the absolute number, though the numbers you can hit in this build aren't too shabby either.

#130 GarrisonWelles

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 07:29 AM

Hey all, I am new to MWO, and once I got done with my 25 Cadet achieves I had enough to buy a TrebC. I love it. I am looking to buy another (want to go for mastery or whatever), and I was wondering what to go with as a second variant. How does the Trebs fair now with these new perks?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

#131 N a p e s

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 06 November 2014 - 07:52 AM

My favorites are the jumping variants : 5J and 7M which you can run in a variety of ways.

The 5J is especially fun with a big XL engine and a lot of jump jets. Its not really meant to brawl but its a fun hit and run skirmisher type mech and the quirks have helped make it much cooler. Beam duration reductions are also nice. Here's my build TBT-5J.

The 7M can be played as a fast skirmisher as well but with the geometry pass which unlocked the left torso missile hardpoint from being a single NARC tube I've been playing it as a SRM striker. Keep in mind that the quirks focus on the LRM15 so my striker build doesn't take full advantage of the new quirks. On the other hand this thing hits pretty hard and is mobile enough
to get in and out of battle. TBT-7M

Keep in mind that regardless the TBT has those big arms that can and will frequently get shot off so be careful when and how you engage.

#132 Dagon Zur

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 142 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 07:55 AM

I would suggest the 7M for missiles and 7K for ballistics..

7M is expensive but comes with JJs, XL250 engine, DHS and Artemis upgrade. Great platform for LRM or SRM, like a Griffin..

7K is cheap, comes with a good STD250 engine but needs a DHS upgrade asap. You can run AC20+2xML / GAUSS+ERPPC, 2xAC5+PPC, 2xPPC+AC5 etc....like a Shadowhawk.

other variants:

5J is a nice jumping energy platform..

5N is like 7M with better torso twist and no JJs, it is cheaper than 7M because of standard equipment..

Loup De Guerre is very good, if you plan spending some real money.

Cheers!

Edited by Dagon Zur, 06 November 2014 - 07:58 AM.

#133 rangergord

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 47 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 08:21 AM

It's not the best spot right now. The 5N and 7M currently get quirks for the LRM15 just like the 3C does. I'm really hoping they change the 7M but I'm not going to hold my breath. If you're willing to spend actual money, the hero mech (loup de guerre) is a decent option. Otherwise, if you want something different you're looking at the 5J and 7K. I don't have the 5J, but with jump jets and medium laser quirks, I'd put a 325XL engine in it and play it like an oversized light. The 7K is in a bit iffier position. It gets quirks for the PPC and AC5. Trying to go 2PPC/AC5 or PPC/2AC5 is a tight fit. It's, doable, but the problem with trebs is that they suffer from awesome disease: they are tall their torso hitboxes are big for their weight class. You can't face up an enemy in a treb and survive very long, especially in an XL. You have to be able to flank/skirmish, which requires more tonnage for the engine. Much of the DPS value of the AC5 is in the short cooldown rate. That means to get maximum value out of it you have to be firing constantly, and to do that you have to either be in a great position or be exposed for longer than a treb can usually handle.

#134 GarrisonWelles

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 09:16 AM

Thanks all or your input. I've been thinking of either a J or K, since they look the most interesting. It will be a long while before I can afford another chassis, as I only see to average 50-60k per match... /cry

And as cool as the hero looks, I cant afford spending real money, so that's not an option.

Edited by GarrisonWelles, 06 November 2014 - 09:17 AM.

#135 Thousand Clowns

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 10:48 AM

Now that I've played around with the insanely short LRM cooldown due to quirk + module, I've dropped one LRM 15 launcher and replaced my mediums with 2 large lasers. Even that one launcher gets heavies scrambling for cover and you can still hit hard from range. ;)

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...28ad90dbdda915d

#136 TripleEhBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 700 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 January 2015 - 06:31 PM

Figured I'd resurrect this thread since I've decided to come back to this chassis after a bit of a hiatus.

Picked up the TBT-5J today and decided to try a build I was theorycrafting on Smurfy. I never really liked the 5J when I was eliting the chassis, but I'm really starting to like it with this build.

TBT-5J Skirmisher

I don't play it like a typical LRM boat since it doesn't have the launchers to sit back and bombard. For that reason, I stuck on the fifth medium laser instead of TAG. Basically, I use the LRMs as more of a "long range Streak". I hang out at the 400-600 meter range behind the brawlers, use the JJs to pop missiles over cover until my target is nice and softened up. Then I flank in, drill him with the 5 MLs, and retreat lobbing LRMs over my shoulder. It's a fun middleweight harasser.

XL300 version

Alternate setup if you want more speed. All you need to do is downgrade to an ALRM15.

#137 Devil Fox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationThe Fox Den

Posted 03 January 2015 - 03:50 AM

View PostTripleEhBeef, on 02 January 2015 - 06:31 PM, said:

Figured I'd resurrect this thread since I've decided to come back to this chassis after a bit of a hiatus.

Picked up the TBT-5J today and decided to try a build I was theorycrafting on Smurfy. I never really liked the 5J when I was eliting the chassis, but I'm really starting to like it with this build.

TBT-5J Skirmisher

I don't play it like a typical LRM boat since it doesn't have the launchers to sit back and bombard. For that reason, I stuck on the fifth medium laser instead of TAG. Basically, I use the LRMs as more of a "long range Streak". I hang out at the 400-600 meter range behind the brawlers, use the JJs to pop missiles over cover until my target is nice and softened up. Then I flank in, drill him with the 5 MLs, and retreat lobbing LRMs over my shoulder. It's a fun middleweight harasser.

XL300 version

Alternate setup if you want more speed. All you need to do is downgrade to an ALRM15.

Used to run similar builds back in the day of early laser vomit and LRM combinations. I came back post quirk, and found that my Loup de Gurre got buffs for it's SRM 4 build (already ran it) but that the 7M got that machine gun like LRM's is nice for CW.

Here's an old build that should be interesting for close range LRM support (300-400m range):
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...558ce17ee91540e

A variation of the Dervish I first used on the Loup when it first came out... makes a balanced engagement machine:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ff5998c6a79deee

Overall still find the Trebuchet to be a very tanky medium.

Edited by Apostal Sinclair, 03 January 2015 - 03:51 AM.

#138 Mercarryn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 289 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 18 April 2015 - 09:30 AM

Klaatu Verata Nektu!

Did that work? Looks like...

I just bought my 3rd Treb now, the 5N. I loved to run my 7M as missile boat and I want to do the same with the 5N. So far, I came up with the following setup for the 5N at smurfy:

TBT-5N

Yeah, I know it does not have the best armor, but after all it is supposed to give fire support. The XL 250 will be taken from the 7M, because the standart 250 limits the 5N to my mind.

If you have any suggestions regarding it, feel free to tell me.

BTW: Has anyone tried out a build for the 7M that uses the NARC and LRM 15 quirks? So far I cannot find anything without dropping the lasers for some ammo, but that means I don't have anything when some annoying lights show up. And not using lrm 15 on the 7M means wasting the excellent quirks for them.

Edited by Mercarryn, 18 April 2015 - 09:32 AM.

#139 MadLibrarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 334 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationYou Essay

Posted 18 April 2015 - 11:20 AM

Here are some builds from my bookmarks, not necessarily modern, but they served me well. Back armor is probably stock values in these links, 10/12/10 is what I generally use on Trebs.

Quirked 7k build: 2xPPCs 1xAC5 xl255.
Funky Sniper 7k: Gauss + PPC STD 200 or xl255 version
SRM Brawler 7M: 3xASRM6 3xML xl300 or 3xMPL 2xASRM6 xl300
Asymmetrical Brawler 5J: 1xASRM6 3xMPL std280 or 5xMPL xl325

The 7k does pretty good in the sniper role, but kinda needs the big engine for torso twist speed to win trades easily. The brawler/skirmishers are really my favorites on the chassis. Going around 100kph seems to be the minimum speed for me to be effective skirmishing, but it can be done slower. The main thing about trebs is you gotta dodge to survive. It's decently tanky, but usually running XLs, and in close it can be really easy to lose a weak torso.

Trebs are good for LRMs, but I think the jumping SRM brawler builds are the best damage dealers overall. Trebs work best out of the line of fire, not too far away, just far enough to cool down and find a good angle to return to the front or flank. Run from anyone shooting you and hit anyone others are targeting to pile up the damage and kills.

Also, the loup de guerre is a lot of fun if you like the jump brawling, but there are a lot of builds for it, and most are very similar. Swap the streaks for srms and you're on the right track to a good build. :)

#140 NUJRSYDEVIL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 331 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 04:37 AM

Any good Loup de Guerre builds?

Just modified mine to run 300XL/2ML/4 SRM-6

97.2kph with 500 ammo

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users