Players Using Hate Speech In Game.

419 replies to this topic

#1 Lubalin

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:24 PM

I see players using racial slurs and slurs against sexual orientation regularly.

If you do use such words, you're on notice. I screenshot and report it every time.

However, I still see the same players in game later. I'm starting to notice a trend. The policy on this needs to be made more clear to players, and we need better reporting, chat filtering, and blocking tools in-game.

I've voiced concerns about imbalances, and that's one thing. But if the company that manages this game refuses to police this, I will quit. And I will send screenshots to every major gaming site I can find with hopes they'll pick up the story.

I'm not posting them here because I don't want to name and shame.

Something needs to be done about this. We as a community need to band together against this. It's disgusting.

#2 Kozer

• Pip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:26 PM

Vulgar language?? On the internet?! No. Way.

I get where you coming from but they are just words. Ignore them. If someone wants to be an ***** don't worry about them.

#3 Gaunter92

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 19 posts
  • LocationStarkville, Mississippi

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:28 PM

You seem like that "one guy" who couldn't finish Monty Python and the Holy Grail because it offended you on a spiritual level.
I'm sure a chat filter will be implemented for the care bears.

#4 Oni Ralas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 762 posts

So?

Not to sound harsh, but people talk crap. Report it (if it is a true reportable offense...not just he called you a ***), move on. Threatening to be "that guy" who will SS and whine (and/or quit apparently) isn't solving anything. Call them out on the behavior, invite them to discuss their issue via teamspeak if you want. You'll find those who type a big game will rarely actually *say* anything to you.

Edited by Oni Ralas, 24 February 2013 - 04:29 PM.

#5 Lubalin

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 52 posts

View PostKozer, on 24 February 2013 - 04:26 PM, said:

Vulgar language?? On the internet?! No. Way.

I get where you coming from but they are just words. Ignore them. If someone wants to be an ***** don't worry about them.

Please don't make light of this. "Deal with it" is not appropriate here. Go share that response on all the imbalance threads, but not this one.

#6 HRR Insanity

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 867 posts

Screenshot and report them to support@mwomercs.com

I report at least 1-3 people per day for those activities (with screenshot proof).

If everyone reported them when it occurs, the bad actors will be quickly found/banned.

#7 Lubalin

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:29 PM

View PostKalen Hickman, on 24 February 2013 - 04:28 PM, said:

You seem like that "one guy" who couldn't finish Monty Python and the Holy Grail because it offended you on a spiritual level.
I'm sure a chat filter will be implemented for the care bears.

Attacking me personally does not address the issue. I am not uptight, a care bear, or offended on a spiritual level.

#8 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,565 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:29 PM

Having report tools in game would be nice, but for now you'll have to settle for emailing support directly. Good on you for following up on it too, I myself should do it more often, but i'm lazy.

This is a pretty loaded thing to police though, and I could understand if PGI (or whoever) is hesitant about throwing bans around. The line between abuse and smack-talk can be kind of blurry sometimes.

#9 Lubalin

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:30 PM

View PostHRR Insanity, on 24 February 2013 - 04:28 PM, said:

Screenshot and report them to support@mwomercs.com

I report at least 1-3 people per day for those activities (with screenshot proof).

If everyone reported them when it occurs, the bad actors will be quickly found/banned.

Thanks, I do report them every time. Glad someone else is too.

#10 DarkDevilDancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:35 PM

Not to be glib about it but its the internet its full of young people who in real life have no power and probably get bullied alot, so when they get online they try to dish it out in the way they never can IRL because there is little blow back.

Such behavior does need to be punished, and your right to report them all but dont let them get to you.

#11 Lubalin

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:37 PM

View PostDarkDevilDancer, on 24 February 2013 - 04:35 PM, said:

Not to be glib about it but its the internet its full of young people who in real life have no power and probably get bullied alot, so when they get online they try to dish it out in the way they never can IRL because there is little blow back.

Such behavior does need to be punished, and your right to report them all but dont let them get to you.

Thank you. I agree it needs to be punished. The hate speech doesn't apply to me personally, and I have thick skin. But I think we need to take it seriously.

#12 Johnny Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Canada

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:38 PM

....and it's a free to play game, banning them just means they start a new account.

Also what constitutes hate speech?

I'm actually curious to know what is offending you?

ps play the game a lot and have NEVER seen anything remotely hate speechish

#13 The Cheese

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,558 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:43 PM

Like it or not, there's an element of "deal with it" that we're not going to be able to get rid of. Especially since this is a free to play game.

People circumvent censors all the time. The best the devs could do is allow us to hide chat from people.

#14 Lukoi Banacek

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:44 PM

If they'd simply integrate an /ignore feature or something similar, examples of which can be found in probably a hundred games or more on the market already, this wouldn't be a problem at all.

#15 Lubalin

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:47 PM

View PostThe Cheese, on 24 February 2013 - 04:43 PM, said:

People circumvent censors all the time. The best the devs could do is allow us to hide chat from people.

Of course people will try to find ways around it. But, filtering chat for certain words, implementing ability to block people, and an in-game reporting feature would be more than enough.

I've worked on chat filtering software myself. It starts with a huge list of 'banned' words. You'd be surprised how creative these lists can be. They work very well.

#16 Kdogg788

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:47 PM

I thought there was one, but maybe I'm mistaken.

-k

#17 Splitpin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • LocationNoo Zeelund

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:48 PM

I notoce a lot more of this on the weekends, I guess thats when mum lets them play.
It's a p*ss off yeah but there's a lot more serious things in the world to worry about if you must though.

#18 Team Leader

• 3,222 posts
  • LocationUrbanmech and Machine Gun Advocate

Uh, seriously? Ok. Sure.

#19 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Profanity doesn't bother me. Racial slurs and the like ain't cool though. Bluntly it's in the terms of use and code of conduct. Saying that it should be ignored is just, well, being part of the problem. If someone is breaking CoC, ToS or the like be that inappropriate language or botting or whatever report it and let it go. PGI will deal with it.

It's PGIs rules to set and enforce. You can report your concerns but PGI will deal with it as they see fit.

#20 Liberty

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:49 PM

To be honest. I don't think reporting does anything. We are prevented from name and shaming on the forums yet when players are reported there is nothing done. This is especially true of team killing. I see the same players who have a habit of starting the game with an Alpha strike of Two Gauss or AC/20 to your rear center torso playing week after week despite reports made against them. If they allow this kind of behavior for team killing then I certainly doubt anything will be done about language no matter what the content. I also witnessed a team killer claim he was staff and immune to banning after a purposeful team kill at start up when several declared they were going to report him. Very ugly that this is allowed to happen. Just how many player have to report someone? How many screenshots? To be honest I know they would just start another account but I am annoyed that we can't even warn other players of their actions.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users