6" Tall Posable Atlas (Picture Overload!)

3D

291 replies to this topic

#41 Fusea

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:39 PM

I would definetly be interested in buying these mech designs as model kits. That Atlas is spectacular.

#42 Source Control

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 115 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSTOP THE WHINING

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:08 AM

[color="#b27204"]Valcrow[/color], will you be selling these at all? If there is any legal issues, could you sell me plastic that happens to resemble the shape of a robot. I am seriously interested in that Atlas and am willing to pay for it if the price it right. Curious to know how much it costs in materials as well as how long it takes to print one with your printer?

#43 Beodis

Rookie

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:13 AM

Wonder when they gonna make Color 3D printers.

#44 Sentinel373

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 317 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:56 AM

View PostBeodis, on 31 May 2013 - 09:13 AM, said:

they exist, trouble is that they can only print sandstone at the moment. Which sadly isn't very detailed and the colors tend to be a little washed out.

#45 Valcrow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:19 PM

Thanks for the comments guys!

View PostBeodis, on 31 May 2013 - 09:13 AM, said:

Someone printed a summoner here on one of those full colour ones.
http://mwomercs.com/...-summoner-mech/

View PostSource Control, on 31 May 2013 - 09:08 AM, said:

[color=#b27204]Valcrow[/color], will you be selling these at all? If there is any legal issues, could you sell me plastic that happens to resemble the shape of a robot. I am seriously interested in that Atlas and am willing to pay for it if the price it right. Curious to know how much it costs in materials as well as how long it takes to print one with your printer?

The legal issue with selling them are pretty messy I think. I haven't weighed it yet, so I don't really know how much material it contains. It probably took around 2 days to print. maybe 18 hours or so? I was printing pieces as I finished designing them in 3D so there wasn't a continuous time where I was printing and counting the minutes. I remember the torso being the longest at ~5 hours. Sometimes I set the printer to go faster or slower depending on the detail.. the head took 30 minutes since it was double the resolution and a funky angle.

#46 Malooko

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationNw oregon

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:30 PM

I would like to do something similar. I have extracted the .chr files from the game, but when I go to open them in 3DS Max, they won't open. I have version 2011. Is there something that I am doing wrong, or do I just need a newer version?

#47 Roaddog

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 63 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBossier City, La

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:55 PM

Great work! Kudos to you sir

#48 Valcrow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:02 PM

View PostMalooko, on 31 May 2013 - 10:30 PM, said:

I would like to do something similar. I have extracted the .chr files from the game, but when I go to open them in 3DS Max, they won't open. I have version 2011. Is there something that I am doing wrong, or do I just need a newer version?

You need to export them to OBJ's with noesis first before importing into Max. There's some excellent documentation here that some folks put together. 2011 should work.

http://mwomercs.com/...ing-pgis-mechs/

#49 Shiro Matsumoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 492 posts
  • Locationon "The island"

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:16 AM

Awesome! Especially the BAP :(

#50 Skadi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts
  • LocationUtgarde Pinnacle

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:06 AM

MUST... HAVE... FOR LORD ATLAI!

#51 Malooko

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationNw oregon

Posted 01 June 2013 - 06:39 PM

View PostValcrow, on 31 May 2013 - 11:02 PM, said:

You need to export them to OBJ's with noesis first before importing into Max. There's some excellent documentation here that some folks put together. 2011 should work.

http://mwomercs.com/...ing-pgis-mechs/

Many, many thanks to you. This is just what I wanted!

#52 Cattra Kell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,858 posts
  • LocationFredericton, NB, Canada

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:42 AM

Congrats on getting on Kotaku

For those who did not see:
http://kotaku.com/th...-toys-510918282

#53 Shumabot

• 1,695 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:30 AM

View PostSentinel373, on 31 May 2013 - 09:56 AM, said:

they exist, trouble is that they can only print sandstone at the moment. Which sadly isn't very detailed and the colors tend to be a little washed out.

They've had plastic base color printers for like two years IIRC, but they can only do primary colors (since the plastic needs to be pre loaded to those colors) and lack the ability to do anything but hard transitions between colors which blur badly.

as to the OP

Posted Image

Get to work. I don't want to see any mold lines by morning.

Edited by Shumabot, 02 June 2013 - 09:32 AM.

#54 Raghnall

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • LocationWest Virginia

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:32 AM

Holy crap well done. I hope you're paying attention because this right here is something I'm sure a lot of people would want. And speaking of models... There hasn't been a good series of battlemech models in about two decades why is that.

I'm impressed.

#55 Shumabot

• 1,695 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:34 AM

View PostSource Control, on 31 May 2013 - 09:08 AM, said:

[color=#b27204]Valcrow[/color], will you be selling these at all? If there is any legal issues, could you sell me plastic that happens to resemble the shape of a robot. I am seriously interested in that Atlas and am willing to pay for it if the price it right. Curious to know how much it costs in materials as well as how long it takes to print one with your printer?

You're fine for buying it and he's fine for making it for himself, but he could get in trouble for reselling it.

View PostRaghnall, on 02 June 2013 - 09:32 AM, said:

Holy crap well done. I hope you're paying attention because this right here is something I'm sure a lot of people would want. And speaking of models... There hasn't been a good series of battlemech models in about two decades why is that.

I'm impressed.

Model runs are (very) expensive and there aren't enough people actively wanting to buy battletech models to fill a shoebox. The license is a muddled mess owned by a dozen companies, and the art, gameplay, and background need a fundamental restart to be the foundation for a compelling modern product.

Edited by Shumabot, 02 June 2013 - 09:35 AM.

#56 Ristle

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 57 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:54 AM

That Atlas is truly an amazing sight to behold! Do you plan on making any more mechs in a similar manner, or was this just a one time experiment?

Also, hope PGI is taking notes, since THIS is a great way to squeeze some extra money out of us fans who wouldn't mind having more... tangible cockpit items.

#57 Dorn

Rookie

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:56 AM

I assume you had to modify or clean up the files a bit in whatever CAD software you use.. would you be willing to shoot anyone the .stl files you printed off, for those of us lucky enough to have printers? A PM or post with the files would be greatly appreciated!

#58 L e x

• PipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 43 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:09 AM

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Lex420, 02 June 2013 - 11:11 AM.

#59 Ninjamoose

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 54 posts
  • LocationProbably in front of my computer.

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:13 AM

I put my money in the cup holder on my computer and it's not working.

#60 Bakamoichigei

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 18 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAboard the Death's Daggers' Union-class Dropship 'Shining Sword'.

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:17 AM

That, is so friggin awesome.

So what'd you use for a printer? (If you mentioned it somewhere, I missed it.)

And about how much filament did it take to print this thing? What does it weigh?

At this point I'm willing to catalog the organs I wouldn't miss terribly (With prices!) in order to acquire a Makerbot Replicator 2x, but I'm working on scraping together the parts for a RepRap. (But first I need to get off my *** and finish converting my milling machine to CNC to make my life easier.)

I say go old-school if you decide to make copies of it; Garage kits! Clean up the surfaces on the print, get some OOMOO 25 (A great RTV silicone that doesn't need vacuum degassing and cures fast.) and make two-part molds of the parts, then cast them in urethane resin. (I like Smooth-Cast 320: cures in 10 minutes, low viscosity so it's good for high surface detail or very small parts.)

Edited by Bakamoichigei, 02 June 2013 - 11:22 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users