Holding Gauss Charge

143 replies to this topic

Poll: Make Gauss Charge Indefinate (596 member(s) have cast votes)

SHould you be able to hold Gauss charge indefinately?

1. Yes, at no penalty. (48 votes [8.05%])

Percentage of vote: 8.05%

2. Yes, with heat for sustaining charge. (1 or 2 heat per second.) (76 votes [12.75%])

Percentage of vote: 12.75%

3. Yes, with heat scaling up with length of time the charge is held (E.g., 1 heat for first second, 2 for second, 3.5 for third, etc.) (44 votes [7.38%])

Percentage of vote: 7.38%

4. Yes, but with some other penalty. (11 votes [1.85%])

Percentage of vote: 1.85%

5. No, the way it is now is better. (122 votes [20.47%])

Percentage of vote: 20.47%

6. No, but the charge is currently too brief. (90 votes [15.10%])

Percentage of vote: 15.10%

7. No, I want the old Gauss back. (205 votes [34.40%])

Percentage of vote: 34.40%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 FERAL TIGER

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 129 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:52 PM

take off charge, increase cooldown time, slight heat increase.

I had a giggle thinking about how this conversation would go down if they introduced the longtom

#42 SaltBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,081 posts
  • LocationOmni-mech cockpit.

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:11 AM

The guass charge stinks!, is stupid! No military would ever have a weapon like this. The charge should be part of the preload time then as soon as it charges on its own hit the fire button. Charge should hold indefinitely. It is stupid Bombast laser part 2 and it is just unusable. I know some say they like it but most say it just sucks. I will not use it at all. Sad because I like the guass in other games. MHO

#43 Mekwarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, South Australia

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:14 AM

Gauss is meant to work just like a camera flash, the capacitor charges up ready for instant discharge when you press the button.

Gauss as it is now is only good for still life.

Edited by Mekwarrior, 14 January 2014 - 07:27 AM.

#44 SaltBeef

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,081 posts
  • LocationOmni-mech cockpit.

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:19 AM

View PostFERAL TIGER, on 13 January 2014 - 11:52 PM, said:

take off charge, increase cooldown time, slight heat increase.

I had a giggle thinking about how this conversation would go down if they introduced the longtom

The long tom took a long time for the round to hit the target and you could not mount any other weapon because it weight a zillion tons. Definitely needed support if you were discovered you were dead like a lrm boat. The splash damage was nice. Like the mortars in heavy gear. I like the Heavy gear games and still have them. Starseige was not bad either. Mechs with energy shields.

Edited by SaltBeef, 14 January 2014 - 07:20 AM.

#45 SleekHusky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 124 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 11:33 PM

Maybe a double key tap system kinda like tapping the fire button once to start charging then tapping it again when you want to fire it. I find it annoying currently trying to time the gauss charge only to release a split second late thus wasting precious time.

Sure it'll take a bit of learning but once you get used to it I am sure it'll be easy.

#46 The Gunman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 220 posts
  • LocationLow Orbit

Posted 19 January 2014 - 02:51 AM

Long range, no heat, as exactly as accurate as the person pulling the trigger...

The holding charge penalty is fair.

#47 Allen B Caldwell

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 75 posts
  • LocationVancouver, WA

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:54 AM

I agree with the vote the gauss as it is, is pretty much useless. As a battlefield weapon, Unusable. If left in this form It will be a occasional Use weapon, Sad o see once again PGI uses its Heavy Handed Methods of Nerfing in a good weapon system to Uselessness. I have slowly replaced all my Gauss with the AC 10 so I guess that will be Next on the Nerfing Block. See you on the Flip side.

#48 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:41 PM

chargeup mechanic should just be removed. it was a nice try but didnt accomplish much of anything other than kill builds which used a single gauss rifle. now its dual gauss or ****.

#49 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 24 January 2014 - 03:02 PM

View PostKhobai, on 24 January 2014 - 01:41 PM, said:

chargeup mechanic should just be removed. it was a nice try but didnt accomplish much of anything other than kill builds which used a single gauss rifle. now its dual gauss or ****.

Hahaha, you think single Gauss builds don't work. Let me know when you want to dual me in my Victor or Atlas (the Gauss is the primary on the Victor, and a big part of the Atlas).

Just like cockpit glass doesn't immerse everyone in gameplay, your Gauss builds being ruined doesn't mean that Gauss charge needs to be completely removed.

Edited by DavidHurricane, 24 January 2014 - 03:05 PM.

#50 Zerberus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:55 PM

View PostKhobai, on 24 January 2014 - 01:41 PM, said:

My Heavy Metal would like a word with you..... :P

#51 Ascheriit Davion

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 72 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 03:39 AM

View PostDavidHurricane, on 24 January 2014 - 03:02 PM, said:

Just like cockpit glass doesn't immerse everyone in gameplay, your Gauss builds being ruined doesn't mean that Gauss charge needs to be completely removed.

May I assume then that you would agree better IF there are two type of gauss in this game, traditional gauss and the charged gauss?

We keep circling around debating charge gauss is better, charge gauss is suck, etc. So why not have both. I mean you all charged gauss lover can still use it, surely you won't mind the non-charge gauss lover use the the tradition gauss.

Keep all the charge gauss advantage or buff up until now (longer range, faster, etc) and add the old tradition gauss (nerfed/buff to balance with the current patch of course).

Then we can see how many people actually use each type of gauss. And espacially for the charge gauss player, you will have the privilege to brag more of being a better player for being able to use "a better, more innovative, skill based" weapon no? Coz right know you charged gauss guys comparing charged gauss with something that doesn't exist in the game and every once in a while said that "more people like the new charge gauss now, so stop b**tchin"

So again, why we don't have BOTH type of gauss in the game? More choice is always better no?

PS: regardless of what people post, the poll still say that non-charge gauss is better, lol

Edited by Ascheriit Davion, 06 February 2014 - 03:39 AM.

#52 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:36 AM

View PostAscheriit Davion, on 06 February 2014 - 03:39 AM, said:

So again, why we don't have BOTH type of gauss in the game? More choice is always better no?

That is what my poll stated. It takes about 2 second to charge and 4 seconds to load.

So, if you can't even see what I mean there, I'll spell it out plainly. Auto-charging while reloading is the equivalent of instant fire.

This poll has too little options for my taste.

Edited by DavidHurricane, 06 February 2014 - 08:37 AM.

#53 VinJade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 12:49 PM

the way the GR works now I wouldn't use it on my mech and I only used the trial mech with it once as it turned me off from the GR and any mech mounted with it(I would strip it and sell the GR).

the weapon was auto charge for a reason and was balanced by the slots used and the fact it explodes if the GR takes damage.

I don't even understand why they would f up the GR in the first place.
did someone whine about it being to powerful or something?

#54 Burktross

• Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 18 January 2015 - 03:06 PM

View Postqwerty878787, on 08 September 2013 - 02:57 PM, said:

The way the Gauss is set up now makes it almost unusable.

The way the Gauss is set up now makes it almost unusable.

lolno
As a gaussback user and dualgauss phract, it's not unusable.

#55 VinJade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 04:00 PM

As a gaussback user and dualgauss phract, it's not unusable.

ah yes GR toting Swaybacks have always been fun to bring into play as most tend to think of a Hunchback caring a short range assault Cannon and not a Swayback with a GR.

still having to charge the weapon yourself is still bad.

#56 destroika

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 08:26 PM

There needs to be a circle indicator around the crosshair for the guass charge. Most games with a charge weapon operate this way.

http://i.cubeupload.com/YmCr7X.jpg

Together with that and having it turn green when the shot is ready would be an excellent indicator.

I can not vote on any of the options above because I would prefer the option of exponential heat generation for holding the charge ONLY if I can cancel the charge without wasting ammo. In the game of the screen shot above, hitting the "reload" key will cancel the bow charge. They may have to just simply make a new bindable key for canceling the guass charge and then this would be perfect as well. I would like a faster guass charge as well, but it's pretty close to good as it is. Maybe that could be a quirk? Or pilot skill?

#57 Shivaxi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 175 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 11:58 AM

They could remove the charge on gauss if they upped the cool down. It fires way too quick, especially looking at previous games where the gauss usually had a cooldown of like 6 or 8 seconds. most of the weapons in this game fire too quickly, allowing people to put out ridiculous amounts of DPS that really should not be possible in a MechWarrior game.

Edited by Shivaxi, 19 January 2015 - 11:58 AM.

#58 Quaamik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 413 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 03:23 PM

I voted yes with no penalty, but its not the best way to de-couple gauss and PPC.

Gauss Guns are big electromagnetic rifles.

PPCs have a nasty effect of screwing with the electronics on a target (see effect on ECM).

A simple way to de-couple the would be to have one f the two (if fired together) misfire. To be nice about t just have one waste a shot and d no damage. Visually the PPC could form plume or the gauss shot could spiral off into nowhere (or just fall out). Wanna be nasty? Have the one that misfires damage the firing mech or even destroy the weapon.

#59 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 19 January 2015 - 03:51 PM

View Postdestroika, on 18 January 2015 - 08:26 PM, said:

There needs to be a circle indicator around the crosshair for the guass charge. Most games with a charge weapon operate this way.

There are six blocks surrounding your targeting reticule, they represent the ready status of your weapon groups. If the group is ready than the corresponding block is the same color as the HUD. If nothing in the group is ready than the block is dark red. If some weapons in the group are ready than the block is half dark red. If the group is a charging Gauss rifle the block is yellow, and the block turns green when the Gauss is ready to fire. Assign your Gauss to all of your unused weapon groups and it becomes more difficult to miss.

#60 Void2258

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 500 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 04:02 PM

View PostWolfways, on 08 September 2013 - 02:31 PM, said:

I voted the old gauss back but not because i'm against the charge (there's no point as i highly doubt PGI would change it back) but because i'd prefer if the weapon just fired after the charge was complete.
Having to lift my finger off the button makes my mouse move slightly making it harder to hit distant targets accurately. The charge actually made no difference at short range for me.

Get a trackball. /endthread

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users