Art

501 replies to this topic

#401 Lucian Nostra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:10 PM

I knew my autocannons where firing missiles!! Everyone thought I was crazy!! BWAAAAAH!!!!!!

#402 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:17 PM

View PostLucian Nostra, on 17 September 2014 - 08:10 PM, said:

I knew my autocannons where firing missiles!! Everyone thought I was crazy!! BWAAAAAH!!!!!!

You are crazy, but that has nothing to do with what your AC are firing. ;)

View Postharuko, on 17 September 2014 - 07:58 PM, said:

That's pretty much all for now!%20http://i.imgur.com/JkvwlUl.png

Pretty sure that would be doing more than just flying through him. :wacko:

Don't have the screenshot anymore (backup harddrive I was storing it on died on me) but I had a picture of an AC2 firing - the shell was (is?) bigger than the barrel. :unsure:

#403 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:22 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 17 September 2014 - 08:17 PM, said:

You are crazy, but that has nothing to do with what your AC are firing. ;)

Pretty sure that would be doing more than just flying through him. :wacko:

Don't have the screenshot anymore (backup harddrive I was storing it on died on me) but I had a picture of an AC2 firing - the shell was (is?) bigger than the barrel. :unsure:

Huh, really?

Maybe they really do just reuse the AC/20 shell, I could have sworn it was tinier. I have screenshots of all the weapon models in-game, I think like 70% of my time playing MWO was just finding all the hidden **** like that, but I never did check out the smaller autocannon models.

#404 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:24 PM

I could be remembering wrong as well - but I do remember Koniving complaining about it, or I would not have brought it up. :unsure:

#405 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:28 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 17 September 2014 - 08:24 PM, said:

I could be remembering wrong as well - but I do remember Koniving complaining about it, or I would not have brought it up. :unsure:

Oh, noope, one of the people in my corp just showed me a screenshot where he snapped the AC/2 round leaving the barrel, they just reuse the same AC/20 round for everything it seems.

#406 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:10 PM

God I love this thread. You sir are fantastic.

#407 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 10:49 PM

Thank you for fulfilling my request. So the rounds are not as huge as I thought they were, but they are still considerably larger than the ones in the books.

LRMs being intended to be similar to diameter of Stinger missiles at 65mm to 70mm.
Posted Image

Those big brown missiles though, AC rounds? That's closer to a finned artillery shell. ACs are meant to be sabots. On a side note however, if that's an AC round... I'd love to see how big a 190 mm Heavy Rifle shell is; larger caliber, bigger shell, more propellant than an AC round and rendered obsolete because it's one shot and long reload was trumped by rapid fire Autocannons. It'd probably be terrifying in PGI's scale...even though it can only do 6 damage upon impact (losing 3 damage from its original 9 against Battlemech armor).

On a side note, neat as the Gauss effect looks
Posted Image
It's a modified version of the Crysis window break animation. Shards of glass!

But back on topic: Apparently this case of LRM...
Posted Image
Was from the missile being obscenely close to my face and not "zomg it's a tactical nuclear missile!"

Thank you.
Also I might add so far as I can tell all mechs now have chairs and backsides -- it's something we've requested since closed beta.

The Adder's hands are actually part of every Adder. They are optional attachments to put on when building the mech. Those claws appear to be the same shape as have always been on mine, though the textures are not (though I suspect this is due to setting your own textures). I love the 'extending' hands, though!

#408 9erRed

• Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 19 September 2014 - 02:16 AM

Greetings all,

Seems rather odd and wrong that the gauss round has any case at all.
- It's not required to have anything except the sabot pellets and the inert dart projectile.

Are the MWO artists just using CryEngine elements and not 'creating' any of there own items?
- After designing all the weapons and Mech's, you would think that creating the much smaller ballistics for them would be the way to go. Apparently not? Especially with no resizing of any of the different ballistics.
- Perhaps we need to push for a re-look at these items, since they are prevalent in every battle we have.
- With there art size and design requirements it should not be as difficult as a weapon design, but I could be wrong.
- It should be a simple call for that object from the library when rendering is required.

Ps: Excellent work on the artwork, especially the Vindicator cooling the barrel. Why are we not seeing the mechanic/Tech in the MechLab? It's been in the files since closed Beta.

9erRed

Edited by 9erRed, 19 September 2014 - 05:57 AM.

#409 Sparks Murphey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 19 September 2014 - 04:07 AM

View Post9erRed, on 19 September 2014 - 02:16 AM, said:

Ps: Excellent work on the artwork, especially the Vindicator cooling the barrel. Why are we not seeing the mechanic/Tech in the MechLab? It's been in the files since closed Beta.

9erRed

Probably because they're working on getting features into the game rather than cosmetic pretties. Not that I would mind having a work crew attending to my 'Mech in the Mechlab, but I think I'll wait til community warfare is in before asking for it.

#410 9erRed

• Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 19 September 2014 - 05:46 AM

Greetings all,

Yes I fully understand some of the MWO team are working on CW, and other items.
- The gameplay, artists, designers and engineers all work on different aspects of some of it.
- And that this full image object is never actually shown or seen in-game.

Sidebar: shame about not seeing any of these items in game. Even ammo crates and munitions piled in groups would be nice. We see nothing of items stacked and ready for movement by whatever means required. Even crimson strait has a ship ready for some activity for the material it's moving, nothing. The rail system doesn't even have any units that are on the track, and it's a closed loop system. (I know ... all eye candy)

But telling us that 1 ton of Gauss ammo is only 10 rounds, that's 220lbs per projectile.
- If it is indeed the full cased round this might be feasible, but that is not how gauss projectiles are used.
(no case is required to house this type of round, what the in-game item shows is a common APFSDS tank round, well maybe not common as it's really big)

If anything, the entire item might have a tight cylinder around it, for feeding, storage and protection.

- If it's just the Dart, just what are these darts made of?
- Looking at about 2.5 ft long and maybe 3 inch's diameter, that's a bit crazy for density and weight.
- And they need to be non magnetic darts. (if this verse follows how these weapons are designed to work)
~ normally IRL the dart and sabot are non-magnetic and there is an 'armature' that is used to accelerate the projectile.
~ The sabot pellets could function for this armature but normally not.

Real projectile used for testing a rail type cannon, not a gauss but similar type of warhead projectile.
1. dart
2. sabot pellets
3. Armature
Posted Image

No other parts required or used. But for belt feeding there may be a shell casing required to keep the parts together.

So we can't make the projectile any larger due to the weapons bore that's firing it, then I suggest increasing the amount of ammo per ton, if we now go with just the dart assembly as the true item being used.
(radicle, I know. Changes everything, I know)
- Is this 220lbs used as the 'impulse' force or is that the entire unit as a whole?

I need more coffee, I'll leave this as is.
9erRed

Edited by 9erRed, 19 September 2014 - 05:49 AM.

#411 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 29 September 2014 - 05:27 PM

Made you guys a present:

Battletech Then:
Posted Image

Battletech Now:
Posted Image

#412 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 29 September 2014 - 05:34 PM

View Postharuko, on 29 September 2014 - 05:27 PM, said:

Made you guys a present:

Battletech Then:
Posted Image

Battletech Now:
Posted Image

AWESOME

#413 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:11 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 29 September 2014 - 05:34 PM, said:

AWESOME

No.

ATLAS/BANSHEE

#414 Mech42Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 917 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:47 PM

View Postharuko, on 23 October 2013 - 12:23 AM, said:

Here is a front view with the rear hatch open.

I'm going to regret this when I have to get up at 6AM tomorrow, but well, it was worth it.

Posted Image

Hey Haruko, nice looking 'phract you got there. But do you mind if I ask a question? How (or where) did you get the mechbay hanger for it? I'm Thinking of trying my hand at something like this with an atlas.

Thanks,
Ace

#415 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 29 September 2014 - 08:02 PM

View PostMech42Ace, on 29 September 2014 - 07:47 PM, said:

Hey Haruko, nice looking 'phract you got there. But do you mind if I ask a question? How (or where) did you get the mechbay hanger for it? I'm Thinking of trying my hand at something like this with an atlas.

Thanks,
Ace

In the object.pak in the game files.

Should be frontend/mechbay iirc, they changed the file structure so I'm not really sure anymore.

#416 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 09:05 PM

View Post9erRed, on 19 September 2014 - 05:46 AM, said:

So we can't make the projectile any larger due to the weapons bore that's firing it, then I suggest increasing the amount of ammo per ton, if we now go with just the dart assembly as the true item being used.
(radicle, I know. Changes everything, I know)
- Is this 220lbs used as the 'impulse' force or is that the entire unit as a whole?

I need more coffee, I'll leave this as is.
9erRed

Not sure how this ties into "we should have more ammo," but to mention it we already do.
Gauss Ammo in MWO is 10 shots per ton (150 damage; keeps in line with the 140 to 150 per AC weapon per ton normalization).
Gauss Ammo in Battletech is 8 uses per ton (120 damage per ton).
Spoiler

Edited by Koniving, 29 September 2014 - 09:24 PM.

#417 mad kat

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts
  • LocationFracking the third toaster.

Posted 14 October 2014 - 05:58 AM

I'd love to see a modern take on this (replace the Zeuss with a battlemaster)

Posted Image

#418 Featherwood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 11:52 AM

View Postmad kat, on 14 October 2014 - 05:58 AM, said:

Spoiler

I suggest to wait till Zeus would be added, eventually it will, then nothing could stop modern retake of this brawl.

#419 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 October 2014 - 05:56 PM

View Postmad kat, on 14 October 2014 - 05:58 AM, said:

Posted Image

I just noticed the "open sesame" on the HBK cannon for the first time. LOL.

#420 Nebfer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 16 October 2014 - 07:49 PM

View Postmaxoconnor, on 24 April 2014 - 04:57 PM, said:

I can't work in 3D like you guys, but I threw this together to see how one of my all time favorite mechs, The Phoenix Hawk would stand up to scale for a cockpit. I made this with the assumption the pilot is approximately 6 feet tall. I did a rough calculation based on the height of the pilot, the classic Phoenix Hawk would stand almost 13 meters tall NOT including the jump jets. Thats simply to the top of the head.
Posted Image

I like how you used the old Artwork for Aerospace fighters from the Japanese battletech edition. Though current fluff for ASFs stat they use primarily use Helmet mounted displays, and generally do not have a HUD, though they do have other MFDs, which can take over in case of HMD damage, in this respect their very similar to the F35 JSF. Though IIRC battlemechs primarily use HUDs, though their are some Helmet mount display options, though not to the same degree as their ASF counter parts.

Late SLDF and current FWL ASF helmets actually entail full up virtual reality.

Though their are a number of battlemechs that using their canon artwork would seem to have limited or restricted fields of view, and at lest one that clearly dose not have any known out side viewing capability, that being the Crab... So many battlemechs it would seem rely on external cameras for their primary vision to the out side world.

View PostJennerCrusher, on 25 August 2014 - 02:37 PM, said:

13 meters? That's a pretty darn tall meduim mech (At least if you're going by BT's size scale and not MWO's).

Well in regular battletech few mechs are much higher than 13 meters, for the Phoenix Hawk per chapter 11 of Lethal Heritage states it's 11m tall.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users