322 replies to this topic

#1 -Natural Selection-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,631 posts
  • Locationdirty south

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:36 PM

The cockpit glass looks and seems like a cool thing, giving those who want more immersion some new bells. However,,, the particles on glass seem to be screwing with my eyes. I notice them focusing in and out from it to my targets.

Have only played a couple matches with it I notice it starts to hurtz my hat holder (headache). I also read someone else having same issue. Would you consider maybe putting an option to turn this off? Or was there something added to .cfg that might be able to be tweaked to help me out?

I do play this game more quite frequently and if it causes me to get glasses my wifey isn't gonna like you much lol.

#2 Jabilo

• Philanthropist
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:41 PM

Yes the problem I find is that the effect "bounces" up and down with cockpit movement.

However more distant terrain does not move up and down as much so the movements are out of sync and create a motion sickness effect.

It was the disparity between jump jet shake and cockpit shake that caused problems for so many people.

Bryan has mentioned on twitter that they will examine the possibility of a toggle but whether this emerges in any sort of near time frame (or at all) is anyones guess.

#3 Bartholomew bartholomew

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,250 posts
  • LocationInner sphere drop point

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:59 PM

Yes it messes with me so much i put in a complaint at support. If you tried driving a car with that bad a windshield you would be wrecked on the side of the road quick.

It ain't giving me a headache but it is burning my eyes.

#4 R Razor

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,583 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania ...'Merica!!

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:04 PM

TL/DR: We can't snipe as easily at long range now?

The glass effect is minimal and the ONLY effect it seems to have is to make long range targeting more difficult, which is a good thing in my opinion.

Now, had they actually IMPLEMENTED the change in the patch notes that gave us mobile bases for assault mode I wouldn't have any complaint at all about this patch.

Edited by R Razor, 21 January 2014 - 05:05 PM.

#5 Edgar Druin

Rookie

• Giant Helper
  • 6 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:05 PM

Same with me. I tried adjusting video card settings assuming it was just a frame rate issue, but I'm still getting nauseous after a match or two. The game is no longer playable, and I've recently purchased MC. I feel an overwhelming desire to contact my credit card company and reverse the most recent charges.

I'm not amused with a tweet that they might, at some point, consider a toggle for private games.

#6 Serapth

• 1,674 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:09 PM

View PostR Razor, on 21 January 2014 - 05:04 PM, said:

The glass effect is minimal and the ONLY effect it seems to have is to make long range targeting more difficult, which is a good thing in my opinion.

Now, had they actually IMPLEMENTED the change in the patch notes that gave us mobile bases for assault mode I wouldn't have any complaint at all about this patch.

Always a d-bag with the attitude "if it didnt happen to me, it isn't happening"... just like when PGI screwed up with JJ shake.

I will admit, it isn't really effecting me... not like JJ shake ( which I had to stop playing until that was removed ), but I have sympathy for those it is effecting.

That said, I dont like it. With all the fog, haze, blur and texture popping they seem to be adding to the game already, more blurry certainly isn't welcome.

#7 Edgar Druin

Rookie

• Giant Helper
  • 6 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:24 PM

View PostR Razor, on 21 January 2014 - 05:04 PM, said:

TL/DR: You don't read so well.

No one mentioned sniping. I don't snipe. It's not about the combat. It's about the changes causing issues with nausea, or perhaps you could call it motion sickness.

Either way, the patch caused the issue for me, and so far, fiddling with graphics settings and drivers will not resolve it.

#8 LastPaladin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 596 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:29 PM

View PostEdgar Druin, on 21 January 2014 - 05:24 PM, said:

TL/DR: You don't read so well.

No one mentioned sniping. I don't snipe. It's not about the combat. It's about the changes causing issues with nausea, or perhaps you could call it motion sickness.

Forget him, he's just trolling. I was actually thinking of making a sarcastic post defending the dirty cockpit glass, as a parody of the "everyone is lying about jj shake motion sickness" trolls, but a real one got to the thread before me :)

#9 Lladarn

Rookie

• Liquid Metal
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:40 PM

View PostDozier, on 21 January 2014 - 04:36 PM, said:

The cockpit glass looks and seems like a cool thing, giving those who want more immersion some new bells. However,,, the particles on glass seem to be screwing with my eyes. I notice them focusing in and out from it to my targets.

Have to agree. Played for a while earlier after the patch and noticed my eyes felt strained and the beginnings of a headache - don't think that has happened with MWO previously.

View PostSerapth, on 21 January 2014 - 05:09 PM, said:

That said, I dont like it. With all the fog, haze, blur and texture popping they seem to be adding to the game already, more blurry certainly isn't welcome.

Also had this thought. All that time devoted to map detail, texture, etc., then add an effect that obscures it. Seems kind of a waste.

If it is not causing you problems, you don't feel like you have lost any detail, and you feel like you need an added layer of immersion I am not going to fault you for supporting the addition. However, I would vote for the option to toggle it on/off.

#10 elengil

• PipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 23 posts
  • LocationDDC hometown

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:43 PM

Same as original poster. I do not like this new effect.

It is too distracting and does not add anything to the feel for me but a fustration that I can not wipe off the "dust" that I keep seeing bouncing all over the place.

- Added glass to the cockpits(Glass will not crack or break).

Please remove this. Oh and put the Beta tag back up since you keep testing design changes like this on us.

#11 Frith

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:55 PM

I played two matches, and I also started to feel an eye strain headache coming on. I came here to complain about it and I see I'm not the only one. I don't suggest a toggle; I suggest this "feature" is a mistake and it should be rolled back immediately. Roll it back, and see if anyone at all thought it enhanced game-play.

I could rant on for another couple of paragraphs, but the simple point is for me this change makes the game unplayable.

Frith

#12 elengil

• PipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 23 posts
  • LocationDDC hometown

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:00 PM

I have had to switch to my missile mechs. I am getting sick from using advanced zoom on my direct fire mechs.

So if the goal was to nerf long range game then this worked.

Please remove this ASAP.

#13 Lladarn

Rookie

• Liquid Metal
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:05 PM

View PostFrith, on 21 January 2014 - 05:55 PM, said:

I don't suggest a toggle; I suggest this "feature" is a mistake and it should be rolled back immediately. Roll it back, and see if anyone at all thought it enhanced game-play.

View Postelengil, on 21 January 2014 - 06:00 PM, said:

Please remove this ASAP.

Removing this is unrealistic. Besides, the idea is cool and there may be people who find it improves their game experience.

Again, though, a toggle for those who do not fall into that category would be welcome.

#14 Jakob Knight

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:08 PM

It's interesting that they spent resources on such an important 'immersion' eye-candy when the devs have gone out of their way to remove real immersion from the game (3PV, R&R, ect). And now it's even making people have real world problems.

Yeah, a toggle is the least they can do. Maybe just remove it altogether. Last I saw, no one was asking for this nor missing it not being in, but somehow it just -had- to be developed, coded, and then added.

All for a concept the devs have turned their backs on.

Edited by Jakob Knight, 21 January 2014 - 06:09 PM.

#15 elengil

• PipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 23 posts
  • LocationDDC hometown

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:11 PM

Also, it seems light the glare on the glass from a light source ignores the body of your mech. So if you face with your back to the light source you get glare on the inside of the glass even though your mech's back is not transparent.

*golf clap*

As for it not being realistic to remove this, your kidding right? What makes this BETA TEST change so sacred?

#16 Jon Phoenix

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 68 posts
  • LocationDraconis Combine

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:13 PM

The new glass overlay/texture/whatever is more annoying than cool. It's not at all subtle. I've found it irritating to look through, especially while zoomed in and this is at 1080p resolution. The light glare coming in from light sources behind the mech model is ridiculous.

Is this a nerf for zooming? If the goal is truly realism, why not have a damn windshield wiper?

#17 xTech1

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:17 PM

In response to the glare: I just don't understand why they don't have anti-glare coatings on the glass. If I can get anti-glare on my eyeglasses it should be standard on mechs in a game set way in the future.

#18 Serapth

• 1,674 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:21 PM

View PostxTech1, on 21 January 2014 - 06:17 PM, said:

In response to the glare: I just don't understand why they don't have anti-glare coatings on the glass. If I can get anti-glare on my eyeglasses it should be standard on mechs in a game set way in the future.

In all honesty, in the Battletech universe... dont go looking for any kind of logic. There are just wayyyyy too many stupid things in there.

( Like... why do missiles have a max range of 1km? Why would jets fight each other with medium lasers? How could the Word of Blake have all these secret planets and resources, but hidden from ComStar all along? Or how the Clans could... well frankly just about everything about clan culture was pretty much stupid. )

Let's just say, Battletech certainly isn't hard sci/fi.

#19 JigglyMoobs

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:46 PM

I'm getting a LOT more eye strain. This is NOT a good change. It looks cool for a few minutes but the effect on my eyes are not worth it. If there is not an option to turn it off I may have to significantly curtail my play or stop playing this game all together. :)

#20 R Razor

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,583 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania ...'Merica!!

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:47 PM

Like I said, QQ some more.

The clowns begging for a toggle would merely use it to their advantage to give them a better view at range.........like the guys QQing about fog, haze etc......

It's supposed to be a battlefield Einstein, and those are usually smoke covered with all kinds of things making it harder to see your target............the only thing I'd support is ALL ON or ALL OFF, none of this toggle {Scrap} to give the whiners what they want.

Most of you people would probably complain if someone gave you $1000 because you think you deserve $10000.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users