New Data Center "greater Latency Performance To Many Our Non Na Customers"?

332 replies to this topic

#161 Symbiodinium

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 162 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 02 September 2014 - 05:04 PM

Thanks for the update.

#162 Nauht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 06:07 PM

Unless it's a pure timing coincidence I don't see how suddenly a ping increases one weekend to the next when the only major change is PGI moving data centres.

I alos play other games from the US - mmo's, and sims and the ping hasn't been affected at all.

Sorry, this is a pure cop out.

#163 Tarriss Halcyon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 239 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 02 September 2014 - 06:26 PM

Thanks for the update, Niko. I'd recently changed router (read: Around three months ago), and my ping had dropped by around 15 points, so I was averaging roughly 250 instead of 265, from Melbourne with TPG, who seem to rely on Telstra's exchange. After the migration, I suddenly shot up to an unstable 305, with ping on occasion breaking 370, and in one instance, over 500. As a regular player (I.E. Sometimes nightly, a couple of times a week minimum), these changes didn't dissuade me, but they did hamper some of my efforts to play and enjoy the challenges...and properly get a feel for my Clan mechs with a level of ping that means that I don't have to aim halfway across a map to hit anything moving faster than a Raven. Or maybe not, I was hitting said Ravens pretty fine... maybe that's just the influence of hatred.

#164 Naduk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,575 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 02 September 2014 - 06:30 PM

no its not Nauht, you can even check where your net traffic is going
open a cmd window and type tracert then web address

as you can see here my traffic is going through France to get to the USA

Posted Image

#165 Uveron

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationOKC, Oklahoma, USA

Posted 02 September 2014 - 06:39 PM

View PostNauht, on 02 September 2014 - 06:07 PM, said:

Unless it's a pure timing coincidence I don't see how suddenly a ping increases one weekend to the next when the only major change is PGI moving data centres.

No…

That is just the type of thing that messes up how ISP’s rout there traffic… and thus pings.

#166 Budor

• 2,565 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 07:41 PM

I hope this gets solved soon for you guys.

I went through the same pain with my isp for 6 months where i suddenly had 3k pings to wow servers that were located 300km from my town. I had to use a vpn and route from germany to the neatherlands and back into germany again...

#167 Mahws

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:54 PM

Any word on whether other countries are effected? In Japan my ping has increased by 80 since the server relocation.

Edit:
Just did a trace, going through italy and france to reach mwomercs.com. :/

Edited by Mahws, 02 September 2014 - 09:05 PM.

#168 John1352

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,025 posts
  • LocationConnecting....

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:27 PM

Thanks for talking to us Nikolai. Something I've noticed across many games I've played is that communication is really valued by players. We might not like what you are saying, "we can't do much about the data going through Europe", but at least it looks like you are paying attention to your playerbase.

#169 N0MAD

• 1,757 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:35 PM

View PostNikolai Lubkiewicz, on 02 September 2014 - 04:42 PM, said:

Please note that this issue is distinct from the general desync issue which is being addressed by engineering, as well as distinct from seperate DNS issues which are being actively resolved which had been preventing connectivity for players in certain regions (namely Texas and France, as well as a handful of others)

For a start, All AU ISP use telstra hardware and lines, telstra owns all major hubs and all wires, all ISPs get routed thru telstra. As a matter of fact on a daily basis Fiber is replacing copper to all hubs/areas.
Second, only game whos ping has changed is yours all, i say again all games/servers i use in USA i have not had any ping changes or routing changes.
I think trying to put the blame on AU ISPs is not right, unless you have specific details about ISPs and routing in AUs that would back up your claims, if you have pls post them if not pls redact your comments as heresay.

PS, could these players routing thru EU be using custom proxy?

Edited by N0MAD, 02 September 2014 - 09:43 PM.

#170 N0MAD

• 1,757 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:21 PM

View PostNaduk, on 02 September 2014 - 06:30 PM, said:

no its not Nauht, you can even check where your net traffic is going
open a cmd window and type tracert then web address

as you can see here my traffic is going through France to get to the USA

Posted Image

Mate im in Brisbane and i just dont understand your trace, its been routed thru a VPS in germany.
Do you use a non standard proxy?

Edited by N0MAD, 02 September 2014 - 10:28 PM.

#171 King Arthur IV

• Moderate Giver
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:22 PM

yes, a sad yes

#172 Valore

• The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:30 PM

View PostN0MAD, on 02 September 2014 - 10:21 PM, said:

Mate im in Brisbane and i just dont understand your trace, its been routed thru a VPS in germany.
Do you use a VPS? or a non standard proxy?

That's what people have been trying to point out. He's not using a non-standard proxy or VPN.

For some reason, certain Telstra customers get routed through Europe to reach PGI's new servers. PGI can't fix that :P

#173 N0MAD

• 1,757 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:39 PM

Thats not right, Telstra does not rout thru VPS, he is routing thru a VPS look at line 11 on his trace thats a VPS...
He is definately routing himself thru that VPS...

#174 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:40 PM

View PostValore, on 02 September 2014 - 10:30 PM, said:

That's what people have been trying to point out. He's not using a non-standard proxy or VPN.

For some reason, certain Telstra customers get routed through Europe to reach PGI's new servers. PGI can't fix that :P

Enough Telstra customers complaining about the issue should makemake them fix the routing eventually.

#175 N0MAD

• 1,757 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:43 PM

Telstra cant do anything about people forcing their routs thru self appointed proxy's.

#176 Impyrium

• The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:47 PM

Hm. Mine looks pretty identical to yours. :P

Posted Image

To be honest, knowing Telstra, they're not going to give a flying rat's ass if a few people are having trouble like this. They follow the 'minimum viable product' ideology.

#177 N0MAD

• 1,757 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:49 PM

View PostAUSwarrior24, on 02 September 2014 - 10:47 PM, said:

Hm. Mine looks pretty identical to yours. :P

Posted Image

To be honest, knowing Telstra, they're not going to give a flying rat's ass if a few people are having trouble like this. They follow the 'minimum viable product' ideology.

Again i will point you to line 13 of your trace... a VPS server...

#178 Impyrium

• The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:51 PM

View PostN0MAD, on 02 September 2014 - 10:49 PM, said:

Again i will point you to line 13 of your trace... a VPS server...

I'm not very literate when it comes to networking, so I don't really know what a VPS server is.

What I can tell you is that we aren't doing anything 'ourselves', this is how it's set up standard here. We're through Dodo, but they use Telstra's infrastructure.

#179 Nauht

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:55 PM

So it is pure coincidence then? Now I'm no network guy but how come my pings to other NA games have't been affected.. I play ESO, SWOTR, DCS, SC and some other casual stuff.

And so if the data centre hadn't moved then I would be getting this ping increase regardless.. just for MWO?

Coincidences do happen but not when it's this specific.

#180 Impyrium

• The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 11:03 PM

View PostNauht, on 02 September 2014 - 10:55 PM, said:

So it is pure coincidence then? Now I'm no network guy but how come my pings to other NA games have't been affected.. I play ESO, SWOTR, DCS, SC and some other casual stuff.

And so if the data centre hadn't moved then I would be getting this ping increase regardless.. just for MWO?

Coincidences do happen but not when it's this specific.

It's definitely occurred because of the server move, there's no doubt about that. There was a very specific change in the PTS, and a very specific change on the new live servers. Now, it might not be PGI's servers that are directly causing the problem, but it is their move that brought about the problem.

It's not really worth placing blame on either ISPs or PGI. I just really wish this could get sorted, and I really don't know how to go about it. Calling my ISP is going to be the equivalent of poking a turtle with a stick- they have shocking customer service.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users