Are you a clanner and why?

128 replies to this topic

#41 Ubertron X

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 04:25 AM

In the end Atlas always grins

Edited by Ubertron X, 24 June 2012 - 04:27 AM.

#42 Razorin Faust

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 48 posts
  • LocationCarcassone - France

Posted 24 June 2012 - 04:28 AM

Well the Clan are mighty, advenced in technology (during the invasion)
But I can't help to see them as aristocratic self centered ******* relaying heavily on eugenics and discrimination.

The IS is aristocratic allright, but their is nothing really blocking your way to become a mighty mechwarrior.

#43 Unendingmenace

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2017 Participant
  • WC 2017 Participant
  • 110 posts
  • LocationDropship Dire Wolf

Posted 24 June 2012 - 04:31 AM

View PostHans Davion, on 23 June 2012 - 01:24 PM, said:

Given the chance, I would love to play as a Warden Wolf clanner. Maybe I can get captured as a bondsman with Phelan Kell...

Besides, most of the best mechs are clan.

/Agree. Couldn't have said it better myself B)

#44 Voss Korgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationPeriphery

Posted 24 June 2012 - 04:40 AM

Vat babies.

#45 Fl3tcher

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 24 June 2012 - 04:45 AM

One of my TT playing companions who likes the game but knows nothing about the lore plays nothing but Jade Falcon. Another companion who drips Battletech lore like honey asked him why his reply way

"I like their logo"

What more reason do you need? B)

#46 Forren

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 64 posts
  • LocationNew Barcella, Irece

Posted 24 June 2012 - 04:52 AM

I would join an Invading Clan, surat. Clan Nova Cat. Purely because of this image, the one that got me hooked on Nova Cats. http://img850.images...39019477393.jpg

#47 Zolaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:16 AM

Nope ... Im freeborne and my mama wasnt a trashcan. If you dont like it, there is the circle of equals. Fighting is fighting is fighting. You want to be better than someone, train better. That is why the clans are so nasty. Most of their culture is centered around fighting.

#48 Terminal Blue

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 79 posts
  • LocationRomano Liao

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:08 AM

View PostZolaz, on 24 June 2012 - 05:16 AM, said:

Nope ... Im freeborne and my mama wasnt a trashcan. If you dont like it, there is the circle of equals. Fighting is fighting is fighting. You want to be better than someone, train better. That is why the clans are so nasty. Most of their culture is centered around fighting.

Hey, lots of people's moms piloted Urbanmechs. There's no shame in it.

#49 Hagetaka

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationMobile, AL

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:07 AM

View PostMeatMonkey, on 23 June 2012 - 09:40 AM, said:

Back in TT days always played as clan and portrayed my warriors like heroic greek theme. Especially Achilles from the Illiad who chose a short life of honor and glory on the battlefield over a long mediocre life.

lol.

Somebody doesn't read Shakespeare. Go crack a copy of Troilus and Cressida.

Or if that's above your reading level, pick up an anthology of David Drake's Hammers Slammers military sci-fi, and look for the short story "The Warrior". It's a modernized version of Achilles' character, and might show you why you should learn a bit about a character before idolizing him.

#50 Shaft McCavity

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 37 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:29 AM

Lessee. Eugenics program with those engineered expecting to be nearly worshiped, arranged marriages, caste system with very, very little upward mobility (often at the cost of literally killing the competition), and honor which is easily dumped whenever convenient, or very elastic in its interpretation? No.

Take your advanced technology and shove it up your ***.

Better to labor under the illusion of freedom than the reality of tyranny.

#51 Voyager I

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 417 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:37 AM

Politics and ideaologies aren't my concern.

Those viciously overspecced mechs, on the other hand...

#52 Biplane

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 182 posts
  • LocationEllisburg, NY

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:41 AM

I've always like the Periphery, so both you Inner Sphere snobs and Clanner scum suck.

But yeah, the Clans are a warrior society of genetically engineered people. Makes them kind of hard to identify with. As flawed as the Inner Sphere is, it just seems more... I dunno, human I guess.

#53 PinTBC

• PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationI'd tell you, but I'd have to kill you

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:59 AM

View PostSchtirlitz, on 23 June 2012 - 09:47 AM, said:

I like Clans more than IS, because they have no foolish dirty politics. Clans have their negative poins, but again - NO DIRTY POLITICS

Didn't read the books I see?

I am a Clanner. I am a member of The Bloody Clans. We are an inner sphere mercenary group, that need no 'crutch, magic win button mechs' to succeed where others fear to tread.

Our Clan was founded during the original MPBtech game on GENIE, and some of the posters here I recognize from the glory days. We date as a clan to a time well before any mention of tube born warriors showed up in the novels.

In game terms, the Clans being introduced like they were royally screwed the board game, and was the start of a very poorly thought out timeline that culminated in the disaster that was the Dark Ages.

Every Tom, Dick, or Harry that couldn't win at the board game with the inner sphere mechs due to the need to be able to figure multiple probabilities out, suddenly had a mech that made Candyland look cerebral. The funny thing is.. most of them still sucked, but the board game turned into a farce.

So, I stand by my statement. I am a Clanner. A member of The Bloody Clans.

PinTBC

My Blood is not mine to give.
It belongs to my brothers.

#54 Saevus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • LocationRight side of Upside down

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:12 AM

No, I am not a clanner. I was conceived in the back of a Ford Model T, which while similar to a testube in size, is in fact, not a testube.

#55 Teralitha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,188 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:16 AM

View PostSchtirlitz, on 23 June 2012 - 09:47 AM, said:

I like Clans more than IS, because they have no foolish dirty politics. Clans have their negative poins, but again - NO DIRTY POLITICS

Clanners have ego, arrogance, and stupidity. Ill stick with Inner Sphere. But Ill use clan tech.

#56 Halfinax

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:37 AM

View PostPinTBC, on 24 June 2012 - 08:59 AM, said:

Didn't read the books I see?

I am a Clanner. I am a member of The Bloody Clans. We are an inner sphere mercenary group, that need no 'crutch, magic win button mechs' to succeed where others fear to tread.

Our Clan was founded during the original MPBtech game on GENIE, and some of the posters here I recognize from the glory days. We date as a clan to a time well before any mention of tube born warriors showed up in the novels.

In game terms, the Clans being introduced like they were royally screwed the board game, and was the start of a very poorly thought out timeline that culminated in the disaster that was the Dark Ages.

Every Tom, Dick, or Harry that couldn't win at the board game with the inner sphere mechs due to the need to be able to figure multiple probabilities out, suddenly had a mech that made Candyland look cerebral. The funny thing is.. most of them still sucked, but the board game turned into a farce.

So, I stand by my statement. I am a Clanner. A member of The Bloody Clans.

PinTBC

My Blood is not mine to give.
It belongs to my brothers.

You realize that MPBT on the Genie went into beta after The Jade Pheonix trilogy was first published right? As in it was canon that Clanners were vat bred before MPBT was a thing.

Other than that quibbling tidbit, I agree that Clan players have and always will be munchkins in it for the gear despite their claims to the contrary.

#57 SinnerX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:21 AM

Clan Nova Cat represent! I joined them back in the MechCommander Gold days and never looked back.

#58 CaptFrost

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationAS7-D Custom Luxury Cockpit

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:57 AM

The best thing about Clans is salvaging their tech for your Atlas after you put an AC/20 Incendiary in their cockpit. I love the smell of burning Clanners in the morning. Smells like... victory.

#59 David Decoster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • LocationBrugge, Belgium, Terra

Posted 24 June 2012 - 11:04 AM

I'll be whatever my employer pays me to be. :)

#60 Pvt Dancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 11:14 AM

You really want to know what the Clans are? They are a excuse/fluff to justify rules and game mechanics.

Bill: 'Hummm... we want to introduce this tech that is 10 times better than the stuff we came out with because Timmy the power gamer has to much ADD. How do we do it Bob?'

Bob: 'Hummmm, since this will make the mechs so much more powerful than the old mechs, we have to come up with a reason why they just don't use common sense and real tactics.... Eureka! I know, we will say they are blah blah blah blah to help balance the game mechanics!'

Bill: Brilliant!

Bob: Brilliant!

*Champaign glasses clinking in a salute to success, the clans are born.*

That is how the damn clans got created and why they can suck it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users