The Gauss Macro

Weapons

176 replies to this topic

#1 Xarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • 997 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 10:55 PM

Gauss charge-up is apparently easy to work around.

#2 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 15 October 2014 - 10:59 PM

To no one's surprise.

#3 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 15 October 2014 - 11:01 PM

Meh, still can't fire 3 or more Gauss at the same time.

#4 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 11:17 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 15 October 2014 - 11:01 PM, said:

it's 2

edit: I miss read Im a noob

Edited by Ghogiel, 15 October 2014 - 11:18 PM.

#5 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• 5,339 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 15 October 2014 - 11:26 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 15 October 2014 - 11:01 PM, said:

you're missing the point of this.

You can fire 2 gauss together? yeah?

So macro 2-2 gauss together like this, as shown at the end of the video. That is DEVASTATING... 60 damage pinpoint, at relatively the same location due to the speed of the macro.

I used to yell, and scream at anyone who would listen about how Macros are a 3rd party cheat, because they circumvent your personal ability to time things, to do it for you. I was told, over and over again, that no, macro's are not a cheat, and that they are totally valid.

This goes to show you that no, it's essentially cheating. It's a turbo button. There is a reason Turbo controllers are not allowed at MLG gaming events. So why is there an acceptance of utilizing Macro software to do the same thing?

I just don't understand the mentality.

#6 Greenjulius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,319 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 15 October 2014 - 11:37 PM

The charge mechanic isn't there to make gauss hard to use, it's to desync it from being bundled with other weapons.

Dual Gauss is currently on of the most frustrating weapons to face simply because there is no defense against it. High damage, no heat, near instant strikes...

Edit: Just watched the video. I faced a guy with this config. I managed to torso twist and jump jet, only losing a leg and side torso. Fortunately my teammates finished him before he could get me.

Pretty much the lamest build you could put together. I hope some effort is put forth from PGI to discourage quad, or even triple gauss builds. Dual is already problem enough.

Edited by Greenjulius, 15 October 2014 - 11:42 PM.

#7 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 15 October 2014 - 11:37 PM

View PostFlash Frame, on 15 October 2014 - 11:26 PM, said:

So macro 2-2 gauss together like this, as shown at the end of the video. That is DEVASTATING... 60 damage pinpoint, at relatively the same location due to the speed of the macro.

I was more impressed by the "chain" fire that ripped the commando apart.... it looks like the shots were fired faster.

But currently there are no other weapons that could benefit from Macros - the advantage of the Ultra AC 5 is gone. So if you don't want to double tap you can stay with the standard AC - will work only for clan Ultra cannons - because the Clan ACs have a crit more - but thats simple a logic error - that should have been fixed before ClanPackage 1

View PostGreenjulius, on 15 October 2014 - 11:37 PM, said:

The charge mechanic isn't there to make gauss hard to use, it's to desync it from being bundled with other weapons.

Dual Gauss is currently on of the most frustrating weapons to face simply because there is no defense against it. High damage, no heat, near instant strikes...

The Charge Mechanic won't help much for desyncing... maybe its not as simple as before -but i was able to manage the Gauss - with half a bottle Rum in my veins (even better).... with a couple of matches you get an idea - to fire the Peps and shortly after the gauss

Edited by Karl Streiger, 15 October 2014 - 11:40 PM.

#8 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 16 October 2014 - 12:11 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 15 October 2014 - 11:37 PM, said:

I was more impressed by the "chain" fire that ripped the commando apart.... it looks like the shots were fired faster.

It seems you can macro it like the AC2 Dakka Jager, as long as you do not fire 2 Gauss at the same time.

Frankly the Hexa UAC5 DW puts out higher DPS with more ammo reserve, so I am not worried about Quad Gauss DW. Not to mention that a weapon with charge mechanic is harder to pull of snap shot with, even with auto fire macro.

Edited by El Bandito, 16 October 2014 - 12:13 AM.

#9 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 16 October 2014 - 03:13 AM

So why is there an acceptance of utilizing Macro software to do the same thing?

Probably because its near impossible to prevent and police. At a tourney, they can check the equipment you use, PGI can't go to everyone's home at every play session and check.

Its something they can't easily check for, so they accept it and allow it. Not much they can do.

#10 Chrithu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,601 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 October 2014 - 03:21 AM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 16 October 2014 - 03:13 AM, said:

Not much they can do.

What they could do is remove the ridiculous mechanic that is worked around by the macro. And as far as desync goes: It isn't hard at all to create a macro that fires gauss and PPC at the same time so the macro works around that as well.

#11 MadPanda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,054 posts
  • LocationSearching for a game...

Posted 16 October 2014 - 04:13 AM

21 ammo? Doesn't seem like a problem to me.

#12 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 04:15 AM

View PostMadPanda, on 16 October 2014 - 04:13 AM, said:

I'm sure the macro is already "fixed" with 3 gauss and an ER-Pep.
5 shots of 60 pinpoint with good aim - enough to remove 2 or 3 mechs from the game....

#13 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 16 October 2014 - 04:25 AM

View PostMadPanda, on 16 October 2014 - 04:13 AM, said:

You can take 60 easy but really the marco doesnt matter for sniping as the delay is helpful most the time. It gives you a second of "floating" so you can center and fire.

I could see the chain fire as useful if you got rushed.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 16 October 2014 - 04:25 AM.

#14 The Great Unwashed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 16 October 2014 - 04:39 AM

I downloaded autohotkey and a Gaussmacro for testing. Such macros are indicative of to-be-improved game mechanics. The macro fires group 6 when it is within the charge time of tge gauss and beeps to give an acoustic cue (quite clever actually). I sometimes use a macro to fire weapon groups 2 and 5 at the same time in order to have my 6lrm5 MDD operate grouped chain fire (3lrm5s per group). My workaround for a keybind for two functions using only 1 key. Many gaming peripherals can do the same so thát is not a cheat. But again indicative of the game needing more customization options.
(I hate DWFs and do not bring this macro cheese to the field)

Edited by The Great Unwashed, 16 October 2014 - 04:43 AM.

#15 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 05:15 AM

The Macro still has its issues though. You still can't avoid the charge up delay which means you have to hold your target for almost a full second in order to get hits. This might not sound like alot but if your target is moving around it is alot harder than it seems. On the other hand, ALOT of people tend to just stand around like a deer in headlights.

#16 Logan Hawke

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 504 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 06:37 AM

Hmmm... max 2 Gauss on a chassis unless it's base variant comes with more? Are there even any canon mechs (other than prototypes and one-offs) that have 3 gauss?

Edited by Logan Hawke, 16 October 2014 - 06:37 AM.

#17 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 06:39 AM

View PostLogan Hawke, on 16 October 2014 - 06:37 AM, said:

Hmmm... max 2 Gauss on a chassis unless it's base variant comes with more? Are there even any canon mechs (other than prototypes and one-offs) that have 3 gauss?

Thunder Hawk - 100t SL Tech Mech + 4 Medium Laser - must be the only canon mech that is not a prototype or a "unique" Mech with 3 GaussRifles.

But would not make it into MWO - because the "Variants" have u.a. Arrow IV

Edited by Karl Streiger, 16 October 2014 - 06:40 AM.

#18 Urdnot Mau

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 501 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 07:06 AM

View PostGreenjulius, on 15 October 2014 - 11:37 PM, said:

If that's true, then why single gauss builds still have charge? To me it's like PGI just wanted to say "**** you, gauss"

I would really love to be able to use a single Gauss and not have to charge it. I won't even mention the sound bug that is going on with the gauss

#19 SI The Joker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 728 posts
  • LocationBehind you!

Posted 16 October 2014 - 07:14 AM

Pointless mechanic is pointless.

#20 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 16 October 2014 - 07:15 AM

I used to yell, and scream at anyone who would listen about how Macros are a 3rd party cheat, because they circumvent your personal ability to time things, to do it for you. I was told, over and over again, that no, macro's are not a cheat, and that they are totally valid.

This goes to show you that no, it's essentially cheating. It's a turbo button. There is a reason Turbo controllers are not allowed at MLG gaming events. So why is there an acceptance of utilizing Macro software to do the same thing?

Pretty much all gaming mice are delivered with macro capable software, so there's no way to programmattically determine a cheater. Therefore there is no mentality other than its just another tool on our belt. If there's any problem with it that would be indicative of a flaw in the game mechanics that need to change, not trying to change our behavior.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users