Make 'mech Bays Available For Purchase With C-Bills?

131 replies to this topic

Poll: Should PGI change it so that 'Mech Bays can be bought with C-Bills? (710 member(s) have cast votes)

Should PGI change it so that 'Mech Bays can be bought with C-Bills?

1. Yes (439 votes [61.83%])

Percentage of vote: 61.83%

2. No (271 votes [38.17%])

Percentage of vote: 38.17%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Riam

Rookie

• Liquid Metal
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 05:21 PM

One thing that I see lacking in this game is the re-playable value for a Free To Play player. PGI restricts players to a mere 4 starting 'Mech Bays, with no other way to get them other than through the contests they hold a few times a year and spending money. Making the 'Mech Bays available for purchase through the use of C-Bills would make it so that a Free To Play player such as myself wouldn't be forced to stick with a few 'Mech Bays simply because I don't have the money to spare. Of course, for PGI to keep making money they can just make the MC alternative a more viable option than the C-Bill option through making C-Bill purchased 'Mech Bays 15-20 million C-Bills or something considering that the current price of a 'Mech Bay is about a dollar's worth of MC. This would allow for Free To Play Players to enjoy roughly the same amount of content as other players rather than us hitting the roof with what we can do for free and just quitting because there's nothing else to do.

#2 JadeTimberwolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 421 posts
  • LocationCalifornia USA

Posted 26 January 2015 - 09:14 PM

I don't care if I would have to pay 10,000,000 C-Bills per bay I just would love to have the option.

#3 Sh4nk0h0l1c

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 91 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 27 January 2015 - 06:43 AM

This discussion is as old as the game itself...

You can play the game as much you want without having to pay a cent... you even get 4 Mechbays for free...
The price of a mechbay is so low, if you cant afford it you probably shouldnt even play pc games...
Despite the fact that you can win mechbays from time to time...

grow up boy... nothing in life is for free...

#4 RedlineHunter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 106 posts
  • LocationGPS said I'm here, but I think I'm over there...

Posted 27 January 2015 - 06:23 PM

A lot of games restrict how many slots you have to get you to buy more. They have to make money somehow. Besides, they are not that expensive and do go on sale now and then.

#5 Bartholomew bartholomew

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,250 posts
  • LocationInner sphere drop point

Posted 27 January 2015 - 06:26 PM

Maybe at a limit 3 for Cbills. Then MC afterwards. However, If they keep up the giveaways. It is not really a needed change. And they are pretty cheap.

#6 Bespoke Cheese Cake

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 225 posts
  • LocationThem Interwebs, often in K-Town

Posted 28 January 2015 - 04:05 AM

Sounds like a good idea to at least have the option. Even if it is a stupid amount of C-bills, it would still be worthwhile. Rather than having to fork out real money just to get more variants.

I don't want to hear that "oh just sell one" nonsense. I'm a collector I keep the mechs I buy.

#7 Kalimaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 28 January 2015 - 05:10 AM

I like the idea of having the option, but I would also have to say keep the number you can purchase this way limited. The idea for a limiting factor of 3 Bays is a solid suggestion.

#8 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 28 January 2015 - 06:17 AM

View PostSh4nk0h0l1c, on 27 January 2015 - 06:43 AM, said:

You can play the game as much you want without having to pay a cent... you even get 4 Mechbays for free...
The price of a mechbay is so low, if you cant afford it you probably shouldnt even play pc games...

yes, however getting payment methods to get it (especially in some areas) is quite hard.

Not everyone is in USA who has gift cardss everywhere, prepaid cards, etc....

#9 Chiron

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 123 posts
  • LocationCharlottesville, VA

Posted 28 January 2015 - 08:37 AM

I'm a casual player who never purchased a mech bay with MC, and I've got 18. In the last month, I got 3 from the stocking stuffer event, 1 frok the champion event last week, and NOW, you have an event to earn MC. Thats 3 chances to earn mechbays in one month...

Your point is valid, and they know it. That's why there are so many opportunities to earn one.

Before someone calls me out on it, I am not including the 12 mechbays from buying the pheonix overlord package. I do spend MC, but never on mechbays, as they are too easy to get, for me to spend $ on.

#10 Serpentbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 485 posts
  • LocationVanvikan, Norway

Posted 28 January 2015 - 08:47 AM

First off, if this happens, I want a refund for the 47 mech bays I just bought.

Furthermore, if this happens, PGI need to get money from other parts of the game. If you enjoy the game so much, buy a fracking mech bay or two with MC. Making the game is not free, why should you get full value for free?

In addition, summing up the challenges offering free mech bays, including those including mechs, I can see the possibility to get 8 mech bays for free so far, just by playing the game.

I vote no.

I would rather see those of us spending hundreds of $ on this game get more free stuff, like patterns and colors etc.

#11 JadeTimberwolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 421 posts
  • LocationCalifornia USA

Posted 28 January 2015 - 10:28 AM

View PostSerpentbane, on 28 January 2015 - 08:47 AM, said:

Furthermore, if this happens, PGI need to get money from other parts of the game. If you enjoy the game so much, buy a fracking mech bay or two with MC. Making the game is not free, why should you get full value for free?

In addition, summing up the challenges offering free mech bays, including those including mechs, I can see the possibility to get 8 mech bays for free so far, just by playing the game.

I vote no.

I would rather see those of us spending hundreds of $ on this game get more free stuff, like patterns and colors etc.

You make a point at something why I wouldn't mind seeing a c-bill price added onto the mechbays, and I wouldn't want that c-bill price to be any less than what I suggested in my previous post of 10,000,000 c-bills. What I am trying to suggest with that is that effectively it should be cheaper to buy the Mechbays with MC than c-bills, but what I was saying is that I would much rather spend my MC on patterns and colors for my Mechs than storage.

#12 Chiron

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 123 posts
  • LocationCharlottesville, VA

Posted 28 January 2015 - 11:47 AM

Here's another cookie for you mechbay strapped people. While there are multiple ways to earn mechbays by just playing the game (sounds like cbill grinding to me), most of the events were temporary and may not line up with your scheduled needs.

Well, here's a way to get free mechbays, just by playing the game, whenever you want.

(It's not out yet, but since it's a part of CW, you can expect they are 100% working on it, and we should expect the retroactive injection soonTM )

#13 TyGeR STD

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 245 posts
  • LocationGa

Posted 28 January 2015 - 01:07 PM

selling MC is way PGI makes money off MWO. Micro transactions is the format most newer games will be released. $14.95 will get you 3000 MC, thats enough for 10 mech bays. Thats what you will spend on a month of WoW, or most other pay to play MMOs. If you do not want to spend $15 to get some mech bays and help support MWO, then go find something else to play.

#14 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 28 January 2015 - 01:14 PM

Plus, they do frequently end up with challenges that get you an additional Mechbay.

Like right now. 15 games = 300 MC = bay. Or if there's a challenge with a 'Mech reward, you can sell the 'Mech and end up with new space.

#15 Karenai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 340 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 28 January 2015 - 01:57 PM

There are challanges from time to time for free mech bays and MC. And they need to make money on something, mech bays are the least pay for win way to do it, imho. I have never bought MC, play little and have 42 mechbays. Even those I bought with earned MC I bough for full price, always a week or so before they had flash sales.

#16 Grimolfr

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 48 posts
  • LocationTerran Republic

Posted 29 January 2015 - 08:53 AM

MWO is off a free-to-play model. They aren't a charity. They need money to operate. What do they have in game that costs MC alone? Mech bays, camo (entirely unnecessary but gloriously cool), and certain mechs (which a majority of which you can buy with C-bills.) All in all, that's not a ton of profit margin, all in all. Look at games like world of tanks which gives you one garage per nationality to start with, and that's it. War Thunder I believe (not 100% positive) starts you off with 5 slots per nation. My only problem with this game IS the free-to-play model and what it tends to cause with development times.

Admittedly, I have 22 mech bays currently. I've bought several packages, I enjoy the game for what it is and am willing to fork over some cash to upkeep it for my continued entertainment.

Think about your average A list game, which in the US costs around $60 on release. How long do you tend to play that game daily until you get bored? I'd say my average tends to be about a week. Now, free to play game. $0 on release (technically). I bought the founders package almost as soon as it became available. I bought ~4 packages, and $15 worth of MC in that time. I'd say I've paid the equivalent to 3-4 A list games, and have played this one game for a much longer period of time and can forsee myself playing for a long time to come as well.

Yes, PGI seriously screwed some things up, but the game still rocks.

#17 Zephonarch II

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 328 posts
  • LocationBack in the MWO and... its fun, but Nascar steamrolls still lame.

Posted 29 January 2015 - 10:16 AM

I say: Wait for challenges, because there have been enough of them to get you to around 10-20 more mechbays within a year. Sorry, but it's true. Look at my Line-up, and it's after selling the exclusive TBolt giveaway, CTF-3Dc, cn9-a earlier, and some others i tried just out of curiosity. The Devs have shown they can be generous. They are human.

Plus, buying mechbays is for people who'll actually buy premium time or spend money on 40+ mechs and master them all. Either be devoted to the game, or play it often as I did for example. To clarify, I've bought NO packages, but just paints ;P. Except, I plan to order Urbies if I can use MC. But I'm not too sure about how to do it. I barely buy anything online, with Pay-Pal I meant.

Edited by Zephonarch II, 29 January 2015 - 10:24 AM.

#18 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 29 January 2015 - 11:55 AM

View PostSh4nk0h0l1c, on 27 January 2015 - 06:43 AM, said:

On top of that if you played your cards right you'd probably have a few more for free from PGI by now

I will say that Hero mechs should come with a Mechbay though

Edited by cSand, 29 January 2015 - 11:55 AM.

#19 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 29 January 2015 - 12:13 PM

View PostSerpentbane, on 28 January 2015 - 08:47 AM, said:

If Mech Bays go for CBills, I expect it to be Tiered in some way. Say, make them 1,500,000 , and have them increment at 1,500,000 with every purchase.

So:

1st Bay: 1,500,000
2nd Bay: 3,000,000
3rd Bay: 4,500,000
4th Bay: 6,000,000
5th Bay: 7,500,000
6th Bay: 9,000,000
7th Bay: 10,500,000
8th Bay: 12,000,000

etc

So, at some point, it's possible but time inefficient to buy Mech Bays.

Though between events and the loyalty system, there looks to be more ways to give them out now. Throw in a few bay achievements (like your 25th Cadet game, maybe one of the assist milestones for each mech class, maybe a few new achievements), and you have a few ways for F2P players to earn them that are static.

#20 Kinski Orlawisch

• Galaxy Commander III
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • 2,282 posts
  • LocationHH

Posted 29 January 2015 - 12:17 PM

Play CW....you get mechbays there.....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users