whats this talk of mech commander 3?

#42 KalTorak18

• PipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 46 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:09 AM

I'm extremely excited about this. HBS did an excellent job bringing Shadowrun back to the PC. I think they'll do at least an equally good job here, too. I hope they add a multiplayer component though... I'd love a visually improved MegaMek. I'll definitely be a backer.

Though, I do wonder if this was why Russ was in Seattle this past weekend.

#43 TheCharlatan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:16 AM

I will reserve judgement.
I hope this is not another MW:T.
But i really like that they are sharing the visual style with MWO, i love Alex's work!

Edited by TheCharlatan, 29 July 2015 - 07:16 AM.

#44 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

View PostLexx, on 29 July 2015 - 06:09 AM, said:

That really does look a lot like PGI's art style. Not just the Atlas but the other mechs as well.

I hope they have a deal with PGI and they have permission to use that look. Otherwise it just seems like someone over at CGL really wants to hire some lawyers.

Also they claim it's the only turn based battletech game for PC in over 2 decades. Yeah I'd like to pretend Mechwarrior Tactics never happened also, and it never made it out of early closed beta. I guess Megamek isn't a thing either. (it does say unofficial on their site).

Don't get me wrong, I love that they are doing this. I think they could do a much better job than IGP was doing with MWT.

Russ tweeted honoring at this about a month ago. There is indeed a deal. Now if only the add the unseen....

#45 NephyrisX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  • LocationSingapore

View PostKalTorak18, on 29 July 2015 - 07:09 AM, said:

I'm extremely excited about this. HBS did an excellent job bringing Shadowrun back to the PC. I think they'll do at least an equally good job here, too. I hope they add a multiplayer component though... I'd love a visually improved MegaMek. I'll definitely be a backer.

Though, I do wonder if this was why Russ was in Seattle this past weekend.

I wouldn't mind if PGI lend its assets to HBS. It's basically a win-win for both.

#46 BARBAR0SSA

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:20 AM

I was hoping for a single player mechwarrior game :wacko:

#47 General Taskeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:21 AM

View PostShredhead, on 29 July 2015 - 06:42 AM, said:

It's not "inspired", the Locust for example is 1:1 the MWO Locust. And these artworks do belong to PGI, so I guess they licensed them. Russ is a huge supporter of HBS and even has his name in Shadowrun. They know each other, and I guess it weren't really difficult negotiations.

Yeah, I can see the exact outline of the Locust.

That huge Atlas is mainly what I am referring to and is drawn by either HB or Catalyst in the banner and thus "inspired" and is clearly not a model. I can't stand some of MWO's models, especially the undisputed fugly chunkzilla Mad Dog and Mad Cat. Catalyst uses new art as well after all (people like Alex and freelance artist Anthony Scroggin draw for Catalyst, and show the new artwork on their latest Readouts), so I assume HB is in a partnership with Catalyst - given if this new game is intended to be more boardgame related.

#48 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:23 AM

View Postshad0w4life, on 29 July 2015 - 07:20 AM, said:

I was hoping for a single player mechwarrior game :wacko:

"Steeped in the feudal political intrigue of the BattleTech universe, the game will feature an open-ended Mercenaries-style campaign that blends RPG ‘Mech and MechWarrior management with modern turn-based tactics."
It seems this one will have a single player campaign.
Probably.

I do hope for a multiplayer mode too.

And this would make for a great platform to finally add the quadruped mechs into a video game, since they'd probably wouldn't really work in a FPS setting like MW:O, but in a turn-based game, it would be awesome.

#49 Lorian Sunrider

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationCochrane, Alberta

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:23 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 29 July 2015 - 06:52 AM, said:

Oh God... I'm Concerned™ now. I just instantly assumed this would be a normal single purchase game. The idea that it might be "F2P" after MWO's model or similar MW:Tactics didn't occur to me. I just want a Battletech game I can pay for, with a singleplayer and a multiplayer component, just like the good old days. :(

I imagine it will be a very similar model to their Shadowrun games. In fact I believe I already read in here that they are doing the Kickstarter to raise additional funds to make the game even better.

They are by far the golden standard of Kickstarter Game Devs. I have very, very high hopes for this.

#50 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:24 AM

View PostGeneral Taskeen, on 29 July 2015 - 07:21 AM, said:

Yeah, I can see the exact outline of the Locust.

That huge Atlas is mainly what I am referring to and is drawn by either HB or Catalyst in the banner and thus "inspired" and is clearly not a model. I can't stand some of MWO's models, especially the undisputed fugly chunkzilla Mad Dog and Mad Cat. Catalyst uses new art as well after all (people like Alex and freelance artist Anthony Scroggin draw for Catalyst, and show the new artwork on their latest Readouts), so I assume HB is in a partnership with Catalyst - given if this new game is intended to be more boardgame related.

Makes me wonder. If Hairbrained uses Catalyst's Shim-unseens that they are starting to work on officially in conjunction with PGI's MWO assets, I wonder if that will pave the way for Shim assets in MWO itself. Using Battletech PC as a bridge.

#51 Armored Yokai

• IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 1,950 posts
  • LocationHouston,TX

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:27 AM

I KNEW IT

#52 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:37 AM

View Postugrakarma, on 29 July 2015 - 06:07 AM, said:

It's entering Kickstarter and Hairbrained has certainly delivered what was promised with Shadowrun Returns. I have high hopes for this and will back it.
Yessssss! Shadowrun Returns was amazingly great. Them making a turn based battletech game is the best thing ever for me. Really, I can't begin to say how excited I am about that.

#53 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:41 AM

View PostTheCharlatan, on 29 July 2015 - 07:16 AM, said:

I will reserve judgement.
I hope this is not another MW:T.
But i really like that they are sharing the visual style with MWO, i love Alex's work!
HBS have an excellent track record of delivering good products from their kickstarters, so there's little reason to fear a MWT style fail.

Also loving that they're sharing art style with PGI. This'll help the two games promote each other, two different aspects of the same IP.

#54 General Taskeen

• 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:42 AM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 29 July 2015 - 07:24 AM, said:

Makes me wonder. If Hairbrained uses Catalyst's Shim-unseens that they are starting to work on officially in conjunction with PGI's MWO assets, I wonder if that will pave the way for Shim assets in MWO itself. Using Battletech PC as a bridge.

I guess that's for ya'lls to speculate on, I haven't played MWO in over a year or more. I imagine if there is anything like that in MWO it will be another 120 +- $ Pack.

But with this new HB BT game, I am reaally hoping it is not F2P so I can just play with hundreds of Mechs (unseen Mechs or not) for whatever the cost of the game is, as I do in MegaMek with scenarios and stock builds. I pledged for quite a bit on their Shadowrun games, but the actual games were between 30-50 or something like that on release with quality content.

#55 GroovYChickeN

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 209 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:43 AM

Wasn't there an interview with the guys from HBS where they mentioned working with PGI on some upcoming release?

Edit: Found it. Not exactly clear but it's a good hint at them working with PGI
http://www.gameinfor...mson-skies.aspx

Edited by GroovYChickeN, 29 July 2015 - 07:45 AM.

#56 Gravitas

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 139 posts
  • LocationTX

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:45 AM

This is most excellent news. I'm in. The money slot on my computer won't make the KS page load though. Something is broken.

#57 Summon3r

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts
  • Locationowning in sommet non meta

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:49 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 29 July 2015 - 07:16 AM, said:

Russ tweeted honoring at this about a month ago. There is indeed a deal. Now if only the add the unseen....

i think there is a good possibility of unseens being not so unseen, word around the campfire is catalyst game labs has already said eff it and are going ahead with the unseens.

#58 Triordinant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:50 AM

Best news I've heard all day! :D

#59 Steinar Bergstol

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,622 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:50 AM

I think I may faint. Somebody catch me, oh and throw my wallet at my screen for me.

#60 chewie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 875 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth, UK, Addicks, FedSuns

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:52 AM

Considering how successful the Shadowrun games have been, this could be flipping awesome.

With it being Turn based, I can see this being more of an update to say Crescent Hawks Inception and CH Revenge.

Either way, it will be on steam no doubt, and it will be bought and tried.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users