View PostTakiro, on 26 December 2011 - 06:42 PM, said:

Some really nice unit insignias!

Thanks Takiro

#123 Gerhardt Howzer

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 12:09 AM

View PostDihm, on 06 December 2011 - 12:23 PM, said:

She's so purty! Good memories from fighting under that insignia (before we became the 9th Sword anyway).

This insignia is very remeniscent of the real life insignia of JG2 Richthofen . An actual German fighter squadron from WWII .
Posted Image

#124 Hayden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 12:15 AM

View PostGerhardt Howzer, on 27 December 2011 - 12:09 AM, said:

This insignia is very remeniscent of the real life insignia of JG2 Richthofen . An actual German fighter squadron from WWII .
Posted Image

There is a passing resemblance, though I tend to doubt the two are related. The Rasalhague Regulars insignia I posted isn't my original design, it is based off the canonical insignia (in this case per camospecs manual). Regardless, it's a good find, and I appreciate your contribution to our insignia potpourri.

#125 Marauder3D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 744 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 27 December 2011 - 04:43 PM

View PostHayden, on 24 December 2011 - 07:36 PM, said:

Got some good news for you. I just got the 3062 Era Report, and it has insignia for the 2nd Jaguar Guards. Should get that done in the next few days. Still nothing on Beta Galaxy.

Sounds Great! Thanks Hayden!

#126 Gwenora Scorpse

• Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationClassified, planning the liberation of St Ives

Posted 27 December 2011 - 06:12 PM

Hayden,

This thread of yours is good, good stuff. One of my favorite things to do when my friend bought all the sourcebooks was to thumb through them and check out the units and insignias.

As someone who has spent the last 17 1/2 years in the military I can tell you that unit patches/insignia are a HUGE source of pride to the unit members and unit as a whole. One of the worst decisions (IMHO) that the Air Force powers-that-be ever made was to remove the unit patches from the BDU uniform.

As a fan of the game from way back, I have a couple of insignia I'd like to see you do, please, when you have an opportunity:

#1: Cranston Snord's Irregulars (one of my all time fave merc units)
#2: I believe there was a brigade/battalion of the Eridani Light Horse nicknamed the "Bloody Half-Hundred" It was the 50th somethingorother that I can't remember, but I always thought that nickname had a bad-*** ring to it.

edit: Did some research on Sarna.net and found the Bloody Half-Hundred is the 50th Battalion of the 151st Light Horse Regiment (Dark Horse Regiment) of the Eridani Light Horse. Not sure if there's a source for the 50th's insignia, but I'd appreciate it if you could do it if there is one.

Anyways, thanks again for the heraldry, especially the St Ives Compact. If they let us play it I'll be right there with you, bringing the fire support.

Gwen

Edited by Gwenora Scorpse, 27 December 2011 - 06:55 PM.

#127 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 06:55 PM

View PostGwenora Scorpse, on 27 December 2011 - 06:12 PM, said:

Hayden,

This thread of yours is good, good stuff. One of my favorite things to do when my friend bought all the sourcebooks was to thumb through them and check out the units and insignias.

As someone who has spent the last 17 1/2 years in the military I can tell you that unit patches/insignia are a HUGE source of pride to the unit members and unit as a whole. One of the worst decisions (IMHO) that the Air Force powers-that-be ever made was to remove the unit patches from the BDU uniform.

As a fan of the game from way back, I have a couple of insignia I'd like to see you do, please, when you have an opportunity:

#1: Cranston Snord's Irregulars (one of my all time fave merc units)
#2: I believe there was a brigade/battalion of the Eridani Light Horse nicknamed the "Bloody Half-Hundred" It was the 50th somethingorother that I can't remember, but I always thought that nickname had a bad-*** ring to it.

Anyways, thanks again for the heraldry, especially the St Ives Compact. If they let us play it I'll be right there with you, bringing the fire support.

Gwen

Thanks Gwen, and I strongly agree about the AF's decision to do away with it's unit insignia. Damn shame. (I was never military, but my father did 30 years in the AF, so I grew up with quite a bit of that stuff, and still read the Air Force Times)

I'm a little leery to do Snord's Irregulars, because it's basically just a quarter, but I'm willing to make a good-faith effort on it. I have a couple things to get out of the way first (looking at you, 2nd Jag Guards), but I'll definitely put it on my to-do list. I actually just finished off quite a few Eridani Light Horse insignia that I'll be posting later tonight, I can see if any of those are the ones you're talking about. In addition to the ELH unit insignia I also did the attached Striker brigade and both Light Horse brigades.

Anyway, I'm happy you like what I've been working on, thanks for the kind words.

#128 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 07:38 PM

Eridani Light Horse Insignia Set. A couple more to follow tonight, may as well cover all the bases.

Eridani Light Horse, Old.
Posted Image
21st Striker Regiment
Posted Image
71st Light Horse Regiment ("White Horse Regiment")
Posted Image
151st Light Horse Regiment ("Dark Horse Regiment"). Gwen, this is the parent unit of the 50th Battalion, "The Bloody Half Hundered". Unfortunately there is usually very little information on Battalion insignia, and this is one of those cases.
Posted Image
EDIT: Decided to round it out with a couple extras.

ELH's 19th Cavalry (formed some time after 3025)
Posted Image
ELH's Transportation/Support Insignia.
Posted Image
EDIT: And to throw in a little something extra, my attempt at the Snord's Irregulars insignia.
Posted Image
EDIT: A request. I like to keep as many images on these pages as possible, so I'm filling in the cracks here and there.
Posted Image
Thanks for viewing!

Edited by Hayden, 05 January 2012 - 12:19 AM.

#129 ELHImp

Com Guard

• 1,846 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationRussia

Posted 27 December 2011 - 08:55 PM

Eridani Light Horse Insignia Set by our old-good warrior ELH_Lar.Bat:

ELH-SLDF
Posted Image

Regiments:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Battalions:

"Alley Cats"
Posted Image

"Nightslayers"
Posted Image

"Dragonslayers"
Posted Image

"Bloody Half-Hundred"
Posted Image

#130 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 09:00 PM

View PostELH_Imp, on 27 December 2011 - 08:55 PM, said:

Eridani Light Horse Insignia Set by our old-good warrior ELH_Lar.Bat:

ELH-SLDF
Posted Image

Regiments:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Battalions:

"Alley Cats"
Posted Image

"Nightslayers"
Posted Image

"Dragonslayers"
Posted Image

"Bloody Half-Hundred"
Posted Image

Touche, sir. That's a fine set :)

That said, if I had to guess on the 19th Striker I would make it more like the 21st. My take on it:
Posted Image

Edited by Hayden, 27 December 2011 - 09:14 PM.

#131 Demi-Precentor Konev

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 386 posts
  • LocationDnepropetrovsk, Galedon Military District

Posted 27 December 2011 - 11:39 PM

I think this is the first time I've 'Liked' 3 posts in a row. Hayden if you're looking for ideas, I think you could do good stuff with some of those FedCom RCT badges. Wink, nudge, etc.

#132 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 12:12 AM

View Postlahyenne, on 27 December 2011 - 11:39 PM, said:

I think this is the first time I've 'Liked' 3 posts in a row. Hayden if you're looking for ideas, I think you could do good stuff with some of those FedCom RCT badges. Wink, nudge, etc.

Oh god... I've seen some of those. Two words leap to mind: HOT. MESS. Yeah...

#133 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:41 AM

It's not the FedCom RCT units... it IS a Davion project, though! I present a series of unit insignia based off the (much) older Davion Guards insignia. ED: All except for the base Davion Guards insignia and the Federated Suns Insignia are conjectural.

Davion Guards
Posted Image
Davion Assault Guards
Posted Image
Davion Heavy Guards
Posted Image
Davion Light Guards
Posted Image
1st Davion Guards
Posted Image

2nd Davion Guards

Posted Image
3rd Davion Guards
Posted Image
4th Davion Guards
Posted Image
5th Davion Guards
Posted Image
ED: Federated Suns insignia, because it seems fitting to include it here.
Posted Image
Thanks for watching!

Edited by Hayden, 12 February 2012 - 10:31 AM.

#134 Threat Doc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:15 AM

Of all of the projects, fan-made sites, leagues, etc., I have never seen one with such fervor to reintroduce the insignia, standards, paint schemes, and more that I have seen on this site and, especially, in the threads you've begun, Hayden. Kudos, bud, and very nicely done. Thank you for your time and effort.

#135 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:54 AM

View PostKay Wolf, on 28 December 2011 - 08:15 AM, said:

Of all of the projects, fan-made sites, leagues, etc., I have never seen one with such fervor to reintroduce the insignia, standards, paint schemes, and more that I have seen on this site and, especially, in the threads you've begun, Hayden. Kudos, bud, and very nicely done. Thank you for your time and effort.

Thanks Kay. I have a real passion for this kind of design (I'm also big on "real world" flags). The Battletech universe just has such an incredibly rich history for this kind of stuff, and I really wanted to see it be better represented here. A lot of the older designs were really good too, and I don't want them to be forgotten.

#136 Threat Doc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 28 December 2011 - 12:40 PM

See, that just rocks on toast right there. I think I will try my hand at developing a different camo scheme than the one I handed you last time, and follow the video, and then see what I can do with that catapult if they ever get the full sized one up. I know, we've been waiting a whole two-and-a-half hours... (taps foot impatiently and grins).

I'm telling you, I really had to look that cat over... I honestly didn't like it to start out with, and I was somewhat depressed thinking about it. Pushed beyond that, took a harder look at the one posted in the article, and then started to see the really cool things Alex has done with the design. See, even I, as an uber-purist, can get beyond my groundings, hehe.

#137 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 28 December 2011 - 12:50 PM

View PostHayden, on 28 December 2011 - 02:41 AM, said:

5th Davion Guards
Posted Image
Thanks for watching!

I sincerely hope this is a joke. :)

Pity I don't know how to draw pictures like this, there would already be Davion "DEMENCIAA!" guards.

P.S. Yeah, I know it's canon. :)

Edited by Adridos, 28 December 2011 - 12:53 PM.

#138 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 12:58 PM

View PostAdridos, on 28 December 2011 - 12:50 PM, said:

I sincerely hope this is a joke. :)

Pity I don't know how to draw pictures like this, there would already be Davion "DEMENCIAA!" guards.

P.S. Yeah, I know it's canon. :)

I did the 4th as well. :) But yeah, kept a straight face the whole time.

#139 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 02:33 AM

On the agenda for tonight: SUNDRY DCMS SUPERDUMP!

Galedon Regulars, based off old Succession Wars imagery, but still very similar to the "modern" insignia.
Posted Image
5th Galedon Regulars Insignia, per camo specs website.
Posted Image
7th Galedon Regulars Insignia, FANON. Many units of the Galedon regulars seem to just use the basic unit insignia. This is based off several arrangements that I've seen used, but with the addition of Kanji and Arabic numerals.
Posted Image
17th Galedon Regulars, per camo specs website. ED: Apparently this was introduced in the 3060s, and so would not be appropriate for use in the 3040/50s when MWO takes place.
Posted Image
34th Galedon Regulars Insignia, FANON. Many units of the Galedon regulars seem to just use the basic unit insignia. This is based off several arrangements that I've seen used, but with the addition of Kanji and Arabic numerals. I included this one to show how I did units with higher numbers.
Posted Image
Dieron Regulars Insignia, new, per camo specs website.
Posted Image
15th Dieron Regulars Insignia, per camo specs website.
Posted Image
Benjamin Regulars Insignia, based off the version seen in Succession Warsbut with coloration based off the modern insignia.
Posted Image
Benjamin Regulars "Roundel", basically same as above, but in a circular form that is both hip and fashionable.
Posted Image
3rd Benjamin Regulars, based off camo specs website, but the coloration is based on modern Benjamin Regulars insignia.
Posted Image
Thanks for watching!

Edited by Hayden, 02 January 2012 - 03:33 AM.

#140 John Clavell

• 1,609 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 03:07 AM

Great work Hayden. I always love the colour shades you use in the logos. You tend to use warmer shades which translates really nicely over to the logos. Many of the original, official logos IMHO have poor colour choices that can be very cold or harsh.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users