Is It "just The Tournament" Or Has Pgi Gone Full "fortress Piranha", Again?

503 replies to this topic

#1 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 05 June 2016 - 03:11 PM

...... since the last Town Hall?

Also, for those unfamiliar with the "Fortress" concept:
http://www.sarna.net...rtress_Republic

Essentially a complete withdrawal to within a protective "core" with all access vigorously blocked off to the outside world. And a pattern established by PGI in 2013 when "under siege" in the past over ideas the playerbase did not agree with.

Over the last couple months, I will freely admit, we have been less than "gentle" on Russ. The last two Town Halls were... not well received. The Rifleman launch, lukewarm. Archer release? Outright disaster. CW phase 3? A whimper. And telling the playerbase as a whole we have no clue what we are talking about when it comes to balancing the game...well... not a great approach considering how demonstrably poor balance has been since open beta.

Mind you, I get it. Running a company and being badgered on all sides? Frustrating beyond words. Having crap like the MiffedKittymkII Entitlement campaign rammed down your throat on multiple social platforms... well it had me ready to punch baby seals. Conflicting "experts" on how to fix everything. All while trying to get stuff together for what you perceive as the crowning moment for the game so far, the "World Championships".

So maybe I'm reading the tea leaves all wrong. I know I have barely even tweeted Russ over the last 2 months because I could sense how frustrated he was getting. Maybe someone with more "insight" can clarify. The total silence, lack of a TH, mech announcement, etc, are kind of hard to miss.

Me? I'd just like to know that there is still signs of life, and enthusiasm for MWO from within. Those inclined to trash Russ and PGI are going to do it regardless. But for those who might be inclined to give support...it becomes harder to do each day PGI stays silent. I honestly don't care if Russ was annoyed and stuck his foot in his mouth. People do that daily.

I do care about the seeming response to the criticism received, because I remember 2013, and early 2014. It was an ugly ugly time to be play MWO and to be on the Forums which became increasingly toxic the longer the Devs stayed silent.

Nature abhors a vacuum. If PGI doesn't fill it, then the Reddiots and such will. And the more yu let the inmates run the asylum...maybe the more they deserve to.

*shrugs*

Just my 2ct as a former white knight, and "concerned citizen".

#2 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 05 June 2016 - 03:15 PM

Only "signs of life" i have seen (and not from Russ, but at least PGI folks):

http://mwomercs.com/...k-and-thoughts/

Someone is at least trying to p on a show of interfacing with us.

#3 Templar Dane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 03:20 PM

Bishop Steiner not flying the PGI flag.

Third sign of the apocalypse.

#4 Eboli

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,148 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted 05 June 2016 - 03:20 PM

Yes, have noticed as well. Then again my activity has been very quiet as well.

I would even go a little bit further back when Russ did a complete back flip on the monitoriing of cheaters with another incoming ban wave suggestion. To me that was a complete disaster that gave the rolling boulder extra push...

Cheers!
Eboli

#5 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 03:28 PM

View PostTemplar Dane, on 05 June 2016 - 03:20 PM, said:

Bishop Steiner not flying the PGI flag.

Third sign of the apocalypse.

Have never flown it as high as some like to assume. Pretty much overlooked that I was in the forefront with several other forumites over 3pV, and pretty much DID lead the forum explosion over them breaking up GenDis to stop Threadnaughts from forming about the anger over 3pV. Among many other occasions I was far from in lockstep with PGI.

But the general outlook is either one has to completely excoriate PGI for everything they do, or they are a White Knight.

Sorry I never fit in such convenient boxes.

View PostEboli, on 05 June 2016 - 03:20 PM, said:

Yes, have noticed as well. Then again my activity has been very quiet as well.

I would even go a little bit further back when Russ did a complete back flip on the monitoriing of cheaters with another incoming ban wave suggestion. To me that was a complete disaster that gave the rolling boulder extra push...

Cheers!
Eboli

trying to remember if that was 2 or 3 town halls ago, but yeah, that would be when things started going downhill. I remember tuning in after the RFL to the TH, and going "wth?"

#6 Carl Vickers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 2,649 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 05 June 2016 - 03:32 PM

He prolly took his hand off the ban hammer due to the world tourney and the peeps who were going to get banned were 'whales' and they couldnt afford to loose the business that comes with being a whale.

#7 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 05 June 2016 - 03:35 PM

I don't blame them when people come on their forums telling PGI they're stupid or yelling "What the hell you doing PGI."

For me, if someone was yelling at me to do my job right and calling me every name in the book that can be read of, yeah, I'm putting up the "shut up I don't care right now" wall.

they did that to the forums years ago when people were smashing PGI left and right.

Bishop, I know you care about the game, I know you as a veteran Forumwarrior who's made points, argue them, express opinion, and much more.

it'd be nice to have a tower of Babel, but there's a reason why there isn't.

And I wish I knew why.

View PostCarl Vickers, on 05 June 2016 - 03:32 PM, said:

He prolly took his hand off the ban hammer due to the world tourney and the peeps who were going to get banned were 'whales' and they couldnt afford to loose the business that comes with being a whale.

>.>

You don't even know half the story on that...

#8 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 03:39 PM

View PostScout Derek, on 05 June 2016 - 03:35 PM, said:

I don't blame them when people come on their forums telling PGI they're stupid or yelling "What the hell you doing PGI."

For me, if someone was yelling at me to do my job right and calling me every name in the book that can be read of, yeah, I'm putting up the "shut up I don't care right now" wall.

they did that to the forums years ago when people were smashing PGI left and right.

Bishop, I know you care about the game, I know you as a veteran Forumwarrior who's made points, argue them, express opinion, and much more.

it'd be nice to have a tower of Babel, but there's a reason why there isn't.

And I wish I knew why.

>.>

and as I noted.....

there is a vacuum. It will get filled by something. The smart move is for PGI to fill it. The Reddiots will continue to spew no matter what, so I'm not even asking to acknowledge them. But even simply filling it with their ideas and PoV, and moving on, would be better than what has transpired the last couple of months. And having endured the hell these forums became during 2013, I cannot fathom that anyone in PGI wants to muck their way through that level of toxicity again.

And remember... this time, if they burn too many bridges...there is no sacrificial IGP to act as Azazel's Goat and hang the blame on. They already played that get out of jail free card, and spent the last almost 2 years building some degree of credibility and goodwill.

So to see them take a wrecking ball to it all, apparently, as they have the last couple of months?

It's bad for EVERYONE.

#9 Carl Vickers

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 2,649 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 05 June 2016 - 03:45 PM

>.>

Thats the whole point, no communication. Try that in the business world and people stop giving you business. Its about time PGI moved away from their 80s business practice and moved into the 2000s.

A little communication goes a very long way now a days.

#10 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 03:47 PM

View PostCarl Vickers, on 05 June 2016 - 03:45 PM, said:

Thats the whole point, no communication. Try that in the business world and people stop giving you business. Its about time PGI moved away from their 80s business practice and moved into the 2000s.

PGI... 3 letter acronym, like CIA... NSA....FBI...maybe they think that means they need to be super secretive, too?

#11 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 03:47 PM

I blame them.

PGI provide a service/product that some of us utilize for free, and others have spent an obscene amount of $ on. They provide this forum specifically for customers to comment on that service/product. Perhaps you think that forum should be what? Sunshine and lollipops?

No. Ever wait tables? Work retail? Have any type of service job? People are not always pleasant or reasonable, but they are still your customers. Even at their worst, if you want their return business, you respond by saying:

How can I help you?
I am sorry this isn't what you ordered, can I get you something else?
How can we make this right?
Etc.

Even if you think that customer is a total waste of space and you wish they were dead. You at least pretend to care, put on a good show, and try to make it right. What does PGI do in response to ANY comment? They ignore it.

Heading back to the island now. Sorry.

#12 Carl Vickers

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 2,649 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 05 June 2016 - 03:48 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 05 June 2016 - 03:47 PM, said:

PGI... 3 letter acronym, like CIA... NSA....FBI...maybe they think that means they need to be super secretive, too?

Well played sir.

#13 Carl Vickers

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 2,649 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 05 June 2016 - 03:51 PM

Back when I used to work for an ISP, I was alot younger and didnt understand things the way I do now. So one day a guy rang up about a deal that hadnt been offered for a month, he kicked up a fuss and eventually it went up to the CEO of the ISP who then gave him the deal.

The lesson learned was, he may be a pain in the *** but in the end we got his money.

#14 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 03:55 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 05 June 2016 - 03:39 PM, said:

and as I noted.....

there is a vacuum. It will get filled by something. The smart move is for PGI to fill it. The Reddiots will continue to spew no matter what, so I'm not even asking to acknowledge them. But even simply filling it with their ideas and PoV, and moving on, would be better than what has transpired the last couple of months. And having endured the hell these forums became during 2013, I cannot fathom that anyone in PGI wants to muck their way through that level of toxicity again.

And remember... this time, if they burn too many bridges...there is no sacrificial IGP to act as Azazel's Goat and hang the blame on. They already played that get out of jail free card, and spent the last almost 2 years building some degree of credibility and goodwill.

So to see them take a wrecking ball to it all, apparently, as they have the last couple of months?

It's bad for EVERYONE.

Maybe after this tourney or before they, or rather us as a whole can move on from nothing to something.

Yes. it's bad for everyone. The past has something to do with it as well, and the present.

I think it's both us and PGI that's the problem, us for allowing each other to talk crap about PGI, and PGI for allowing such anger to burn through.

It's hard not to talk about change happening and what not, but in the following months I hope there's some good changing coming soon, both before and after this tournament.

The community lost it in 2013, and we allow ourselves to keep this way, some of us still are angry at PGI no matter what so you can't change that.

I dunno, I wish the community could bring itself together and actually make a point across to PGI, because we're all so seperate. just look at the topics made everyday;

Clans are OP,

IS are OP

Kodiak is OP,

Kodiak isn't OP,

and on and on and on and on....

we keep repeating ourselves until we think PGI will listen. will they?

not if you keep calling up saying you're William from Microsoft saying your computer has a virus and that you need to let them into your computer and pay $300 and a gold VIP upgrade of $99.99 to fix it all the way.

#15 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 03:58 PM

View PostCarl Vickers, on 05 June 2016 - 03:45 PM, said:

I can say that I at least try and get some communication going.

I would also think that PGI would say nothing about working on the cheaters, to let them think they're not being watched when they are.

You know, I can always ask, I usually do if someone tell me to. I've been doing so for the past few months on such.

#16 Mechwarrior1441491

• 1,157 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 04:01 PM

Why would they go into fortress mode when they don't need our opinions?Right?

Hammering cheaters happens in waves. Like in any game. It's best to do put that energy in swoops of banning rather than nit picks.

Edited by Mechwarrior1441491, 05 June 2016 - 04:02 PM.

#17 Carl Vickers

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 2,649 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 05 June 2016 - 04:03 PM

View PostScout Derek, on 05 June 2016 - 03:55 PM, said:

Maybe after this tourney or before they, or rather us as a whole can move on from nothing to something.

Yes. it's bad for everyone. The past has something to do with it as well, and the present.

I think it's both us and PGI that's the problem, us for allowing each other to talk crap about PGI, and PGI for allowing such anger to burn through.

It's hard not to talk about change happening and what not, but in the following months I hope there's some good changing coming soon, both before and after this tournament.

The community lost it in 2013, and we allow ourselves to keep this way, some of us still are angry at PGI no matter what so you can't change that.

I dunno, I wish the community could bring itself together and actually make a point across to PGI, because we're all so seperate. just look at the topics made everyday;

Clans are OP,

IS are OP

Kodiak is OP,

Kodiak isn't OP,

and on and on and on and on....

we keep repeating ourselves until we think PGI will listen. will they?

not if you keep calling up saying you're William from Microsoft saying your computer has a virus and that you need to let them into your computer and pay $300 and a gold VIP upgrade of $99.99 to fix it all the way.

Problem being the only way PGI seem to listen is when people start wanting refunds with mechs/packs. It shouldnt take a hit to their bottom line to get them to do or fix something. That should be par for the course for their business. Where is the pride in what they are providing.

All I see is Russ's agenda being pushed with little to no consideration for what the general population of MWO actually wants (and was promised from day one).

Im itching to get my hands on the Kodiak but I know the nerfbat is on the way. I have even heard rumors of NS whomping a PGI 12 man with 12 Kodiaks and there was something about jam chance changes directly because of this.

First thing, why is a PGI team taking on one of the best units in the game, they were always going to get their asses handed to them cause they dont play enough to compete with the likes of NS.

Edited by Carl Vickers, 05 June 2016 - 04:04 PM.

#18 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 04:03 PM

View PostBud Crue, on 05 June 2016 - 03:47 PM, said:

I blame them.

PGI provide a service/product that some of us utilize for free, and others have spent an obscene amount of $ on. They provide this forum specifically for customers to comment on that service/product. Perhaps you think that forum should be what? Sunshine and lollipops?

No. Ever wait tables? Work retail? Have any type of service job? People are not always pleasant or reasonable, but they are still your customers. Even at their worst, if you want their return business, you respond by saying:

How can I help you?
I am sorry this isn't what you ordered, can I get you something else?
How can we make this right?
Etc.

Even if you think that customer is a total waste of space and you wish they were dead. You at least pretend to care, put on a good show, and try to make it right. What does PGI do in response to ANY comment? They ignore it.

Heading back to the island now. Sorry.

Get off your island, and come join civilization, you ain't on Reddit, so gtf over here. ;)

I wish they were sunshine and lollipops, but it ain't that way, there's always going to be a fly in the pie, or spilt milk. it's how the world revolves upon.

You can say what you want Bad, because usually you're right on it, I'm not going to argue that far. I am not a White Knight. I can agree that PGI has done some bad decisions.

And again. get off the island, you don't seem like a loner .

#19 Green Mamba

• Shredder
  • 1,659 posts
  • LocationNC,United States

Posted 05 June 2016 - 04:06 PM

Does Bryan Eckman still work for PGI ?

#20 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 04:07 PM

View PostScout Derek, on 05 June 2016 - 04:03 PM, said:

Get off your island, and come join civilization, you ain't on Reddit, so gtf over here. Posted Image

I wish they were sunshine and lollipops, but it ain't that way, there's always going to be a fly in the pie, or spilt milk. it's how the world revolves upon.

You can say what you want Bad, because usually you're right on it, I'm not going to argue that far. I am not a White Knight. I can agree that PGI has done some bad decisions.

And again. get off the island, you don't seem like a loner .

I'm only on the island that Russ marooned me (many of us) on.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users