Nothing about the Dropship?

55 replies to this topic

#1 Dragon Lady

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:53 AM

All this talk about the trailer, and it seems that another bit of released info has fallen off the radar:

Our first look at the concept art for the Leopard Droship

Posted Image

It's nice. Still recognizable as a Leopard, while the design is a lot more practical for offloading Mechs via the bay doors.

#2 SMDMadCow

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:58 AM

That is a sexy Leopard.

Edit: the insignia is for the 3rd Free Worlds Legionaires.

Edited by SMDMadCow, 29 February 2012 - 12:09 PM.

#3 GDL Germ

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:58 AM

I would rather see a new mech honestly.

#4 Chuckie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationHell if I don't change my ways

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:59 AM

Go to Wed Hotdrop thread.. ;)

http://mwomercs.com/...__fromsearch__1

Edited by Chuckie, 29 February 2012 - 12:00 PM.

#5 SilentWolff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 2,174 posts
  • LocationNew Las Vegas

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:00 PM

Its going to be interesting to see just how involved dropships will be in the overall combat enviroment.

#6 Alan Grant

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 368 posts
  • LocationLooking for hidden caches, within the BT Novels™

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:00 PM

View PostSMDMadCow, on 29 February 2012 - 11:58 AM, said:

That is a sexy Leopard.

That's what I said. ;)

#7 Joanna Conners

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,206 posts
  • LocationEn Route to Terra

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:05 PM

It's a sexy little transport. I only hope dropships are an integral part of gameplay.

#8 Alicorn

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 79 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:45 PM

Well, it looks a lot different than it used to, but it's definitely still a Leopard. And lookit all those wheels! They must spend a mint replacing all that rubber every few landings.

#9 BarHaid

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,069 posts
  • LocationMid-Cascadia

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:45 PM

I do like it! I am curious about the aerospace fighter bays. Where do you suppose they are hiding? You don't think that it's the two "turn signals" on the front corners, do you? Maybe tucked in the rear of the craft?

#10 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:47 PM

Nice looking update to a Transport that's a workhorse for small operations, yet was never really all that sexy. Now this looks both deadly as well as industrial sexy.

BTW, a Leopard for people not in the know, is about ten times the mass of a 747, digging the wheels on this, don't think a rolling landing would be fun for the pilot (or anyone onboard) probably does mostly VTOL landings in this build, but useful for taxying on the ground.

#11 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:48 PM

View PostDemona, on 29 February 2012 - 12:05 PM, said:

It's a sexy little transport. I only hope dropships are an integral part of gameplay.

Paul said we are not aware, how close to the real gameplay we were, so it is INTRO. Yeah Paul, if you didn't troll us, I'm right. As always. ;)

Edited by Adridos, 29 February 2012 - 12:48 PM.

#12 Dragon Lady

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:52 PM

View PostGDL Germ, on 29 February 2012 - 11:58 AM, said:

I would rather see a new mech honestly.

Some people have their favorite 'Mechs. Some people have the hots for aerospace fighters

Me, I have a lot of love for jumpships, dropships, and warships. It's kind of hard for one side to get to the battlefield without them, after all. ;)

The concept art of the MWO version of the Leopard has got my... creative... juices flowing. I may try making that Leopard in minecraft too. :( Maybe after I finish the Union.

#13 Alicorn

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 79 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:06 PM

View Postverybad, on 29 February 2012 - 12:47 PM, said:

don't think a rolling landing would be fun for the pilot (or anyone onboard) probably does mostly VTOL landings in this build, but useful for taxying on the ground.

Well aerodyne dropships 9as opposed to spheroids) are built for their gliding ability, though they still are a giant armored brick aerodynamicly. A landing would more or less be aking to landing a contemporary space shuttle - you just need a very, VERY long runway.
As far as I recall though, aerodynes are typically used for upper-atmophere hot-drops, (as per video) and if there is a starport/large airport under allied control. Field deployment is typically covered by spheroids, so I'm not sure with how much VTOL ability aerodynes canonicly have.

#14 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:15 PM

Unless the wheels lower a lot more, that ship ain't going for an aerodynamic rolling landing...

It can't go nose up while landing, and unless the nose is up, you're not able to control anyshing flying through wing based lift. It HAS to use thrust in order to make a VTOL landing unless the wheels go signifigantly lower.

It's a beautiful ship, and I'm not criticizing hte artwork, but there are phyical necessities in order to make an aerodynamic (wing supported) landing.

Nothing wrong with it being thrust based, all dropships as well as fighters do that in vacuum landings in any case.

Edit. Maybe if the rear wheels set tracks back a bit during landings, still hairy I think.

Edited by verybad, 29 February 2012 - 01:17 PM.

#15 Omigir

Can I have a hug? :(

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationVa

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:20 PM

It looks like a warthog.

View Postverybad, on 29 February 2012 - 01:15 PM, said:

Unless the wheels lower a lot more, that ship ain't going for an aerodynamic rolling landing...

It can't go nose up while landing, and unless the nose is up, you're not able to control anyshing flying through wing based lift. It HAS to use thrust in order to make a VTOL landing unless the wheels go signifigantly lower.

It's a beautiful ship, and I'm not criticizing hte artwork, but there are phyical necessities in order to make an aerodynamic (wing supported) landing.

Nothing wrong with it being thrust based, all dropships as well as fighters do that in vacuum landings in any case.

Edit. Maybe if the rear wheels set tracks back a bit during landings, still hairy I think.

Leopards take off and land vertical if i recall correctly. Has thrusters on the bottom.

Edited by Omigir, 29 February 2012 - 01:22 PM.

#16 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:23 PM

This doesn't look like the Marauder I ordered...

Something about the dropship; hrmmmmm... its shiny?

#17 Omigir

Can I have a hug? :(

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationVa

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:24 PM

View PostMason Grimm, on 29 February 2012 - 01:23 PM, said:

This doesn't look like the Marauder I ordered...

Something about the dropship; hrmmmmm... its shiny?

Mason, are you ever going to stop pouting about that mech you are never going to get because they like to troll all of us too much?

#18 Slade Deleportas

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:25 PM

To verybad: What if the winglets were multi position? I.E. they swing up for an aerodynamic landing? Would it work then?

#19 Alicorn

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 79 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:30 PM

Yeah... there always are those little technical difficulties aren't there? Due to the canted wings in the picture, if it came in with any nose-up angle at all, it would land on its wingtips first. Now, I'm not faulting the engineers that worked on my dropship, but I wouldn't be willing to bet that they'd hold up during a landing impact.
For the current design to land without breaking something in half, it'd essentially have to land on all... 60(?) wheels at once. And of course, those wings couldnt provide the lift to set you down gently at that angle unless you were going multiple Mach - in which case you;d run out of runway really quick.

But still, I'm piloting 100-ton avatars of destruction powered by nuclear fusion! Reality can jump an airlock next time we get in orbit!

#20 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:36 PM

View PostOmigir, on 29 February 2012 - 01:24 PM, said:

Mason, are you ever going to stop pouting about that mech you are never going to get because they like to troll all of us too much?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users