194 replies to this topic

#161 DEHK

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 150 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:34 PM

Operating on a fresh install, no AV software as of yet. MWO.exe is the only corrupt file. Using the link provided by support staff to a fresh exe, it downloads a corrupted file every time, even on different machines.

Despite the corrupted exe, it was miraculously working after much re-downloading and installing. Then i updated windows tonight and I am getting the FRead at the tail end of map loading time.

Before tuesday's UAC patch I had never had an issue with getting MWO to play.

I've also recieved 2 BSOD's while patching:
BLUE_POOL_CALL
PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

windows 7 Pro 64, no AV software, using googlechrome, .net framework 4.5.

Edited by DEHK, 25 November 2012 - 05:40 PM.

#162 Morgana

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 647 posts
  • LocationCleaning 10-year old dust out of Cockpit!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:13 AM

Not sure if any of this is useful info, but I'll add what I can here.

WIN 7 64-bit
No Avast (really don't feel AV is the culprit here)
Using Default Temp Directory for Patcher
No SSD

Up until yesterday, I have been playing daily, (aprrox 20 - 30 drops as day), with no issue. Had in fact played approx 10 rounds before this issue happened to me.

"FRead did not read expected number of byte from file, only 128 of 0 bytes read"

While it most commonly occured after the countdown, it did happen once, attempting to launch the game. But other than that, it seemed to be hitting me everytime I ran into the Caustic Valley map. I read this thread, and decided I would attempt a System Restore first rather than Uninstall/Reinstall, due to the fact it was quite late in the day. I also noticed someone mentioned the System Defrag, so I thought I would check into my Task Scheduler to see when my last defrag occurred. Interestingly enough, the defrag had occurred the evening prior. Fortunately, my defrag program, creates a System Restore Point prior to initializing. I chose that Restore Point, and brought my computer back to prior defragged state. Ran a Test Archive on all the files, showed no errors. Played a good dozen rounds and called it a night. Got on this morning, loaded game, no issue thus far.

Questions/suggestions:

This has occurred on SSD machines? Didn't think SSD machines do defrags? Not a techie here, so not sure.

Can someone make a backup of the game, run their Defrag Program, and see if this will reproduce? Would those that have posted here, check your Task Schedulers and verify when your last Defrag occurred. Was it just prior to having these issues? Any and all confirmations can only help.

Someone in an earlier post here, mentioned that the error occured on the Shader Cache.pak. Would an error there, be the reason that this error has occured on the load of different maps for people?

For now, the System Restore seems to have temporarily fixed the issue to the point that I am at least being able to play again. One may want to attempt this first before uninstalling/reinstalling if you don't have the time, or are struggling with lower bandwith. I'll be running plenty of drops today to see if the issue comes back, and will report if it does. But so far, so good.

Edited by Morgana, 26 November 2012 - 11:24 AM.

#163 RiQCrow

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:02 PM

Downloaded new patch 27.11.12 and started to have crashes as well as soon i enter the match:

CryEngine Error
"FRead did not read expected number of byte from file,only 128 of 0 bytes"

So same as you have. Tried the 7-Zip way to narrow what file is broken, and it is (translated poorly from finnish):

0 C:\Games\Piranha Games\MechWarrior online\Game\Objects.pak
1 File "Objects\mechs\skins\founders_a\jenner_founders_a_variant_spc_dds" scan failed. File is broken.

Something messed up with jenner skins? I tried to play 2 times, with error knocking me out, one game i managed to play (no jenners i quess) but other games crash again with FRead-error message. So I dont want to re-install and install the game over again, since it wont remove the bad file in worst luck.

Could i get link for a download to this objects.pak (dunno if it needs to be compatible with newest patch?) or something to replace bad/corrupted/broken files?

Cheers, otherwise pretty neat game but if every download makes a risk to corrupt files, it's so bad.

R

Edited by RiQCrow, 27 November 2012 - 02:04 PM.

#164 Ghost Inc

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 136 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:35 PM

Hello Guys,

It's me again.

Since the patch last week, i can play for about 1 match. Then, the Fread error strikes.
I do not know if i want to follow this game anymore. It starts to soak the fun out of me.

#165 Morgana

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 647 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:51 PM

View PostMorgana, on 26 November 2012 - 11:13 AM, said:

For now, the System Restore seems to have temporarily fixed the issue to the point that I am at least being able to play again. One may want to attempt this first before uninstalling/reinstalling if you don't have the time, or are struggling with lower bandwith. I'll be running plenty of drops today to see if the issue comes back, and will report if it does. But so far, so good.

Was able to play all the rounds I wanted with no issue, continued next day with no issue. Downloaded today's patch, played 3 hours, still no issue.

#166 Ghost Inc

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 136 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:10 AM

I have just reinstalled. I could play for one game, then the error came again, multiple paks being corrupted (bumpers, objects, animations)

#167 War Boar

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationFree Worlds League

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:42 AM

I never received this FRead error until this morning. I ran the tests on the files, and this is what 7Zip found:

0 C:\games\piranh Games\Mechwarrior Online\Game\ForestColony_ig.pak
1 CRC failed in 'Objects\environments\forest\forestcolony_colbuild\forestcolony_colbuilddetail_sdr.dds'. File is broken.

Going to do a reinstall in hopes this goes away.

#168 Ghost Inc

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 136 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:46 PM

View PostWar Boar, on 28 November 2012 - 08:42 AM, said:

I never received this FRead error until this morning. I ran the tests on the files, and this is what 7Zip found:

0 C:\games\piranh Games\Mechwarrior Online\Game\ForestColony_ig.pak
1 CRC failed in 'Objects\environments\forest\forestcolony_colbuild\forestcolony_colbuilddetail_sdr.dds'. File is broken.

Going to do a reinstall in hopes this goes away.

Try to change the file manually before reinstalling the whole game!
Download it here:
patcher.mwomercs.com/patch/Production/live/Game/ForestColony_ig.pak

#169 Ghost Inc

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 136 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:27 PM

Yeah, another update...

Second Reinstall today, one match worked. Now FRead all over again.
The last 2 Patches broke it totally.

Dear Devs, you need to do something. The Error is around for over a month, and we simply can not play your game. You lose good money...

Edited by IncorporeaL GhosT, 28 November 2012 - 02:30 PM.

#170 Krist Smith

Senior Engineer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 629 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:41 PM

Hey guys, I have a (hopefully) quick request - if you have a corrupted level pak (or any other relatively small pak file), could I get you to send that my way, via DropBox or something like that? Please PM me if you can do so, it would go a long way towards getting a repair tool up and running while we continue to investigate the cause of the corruption.

#171 Ghost Inc

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 136 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:42 PM

View PostKrist Smith, on 28 November 2012 - 02:41 PM, said:

Hey guys, I have a (hopefully) quick request - if you have a corrupted level pak (or any other relatively small pak file), could I get you to send that my way, via DropBox or something like that? Please PM me if you can do so, it would go a long way towards getting a repair tool up and running while we continue to investigate the cause of the corruption.

I will tell you immediately!
Won't be long, till it happens again ^^

P.S.:

Did anyone compare window mode and fullscreen mode so far?
I will now play windowed only. Lets see if something changes.

Wow, I am excited, 5 games in a row without crash. Thats the best Mark for about 2 weeks. Alas, Only in window mode.

Edited by IncorporeaL GhosT, 28 November 2012 - 02:57 PM.

#172 Krist Smith

Senior Engineer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 629 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:00 PM

View PostIncorporeaL GhosT, on 28 November 2012 - 02:42 PM, said:

I will tell you immediately! Won't be long, till it happens again ^^ P.S.: Did anyone compare window mode and fullscreen mode so far? I will now play windowed only. Lets see if something changes. Wow, I am excited, 5 games in a row without crash. Thats the best Mark for about 2 weeks. Alas, Only in window mode.

Lol, figures. Now that I want it to happen (just once), it doesn't happen. Gold.

I don't think anyone has compared occurrences of this problem in windowed vs. fullscreen. Wouldn't make much sense, but then again, neither does corrupting a read-only file, so I'm not throwing away any possibilities.

Thanks for your help!

#173 War Boar

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationFree Worlds League

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:52 PM

Ah, I already did a reinstall and everything seems fine. It was no biggie since I had little to do today. Just wanted to say thanks a million though for the responses here. Played for most of the day without an issue. Krist, I will certainly send the file your way if this occurs again.

#174 Morgana

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 647 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:47 AM

Same here, although after my Restore, I've not had the problem arise again. I will however add, that I've been playing Windowed mode all along. 1280 x 720. But I doubt the Mode or Resolution have anything to do with this issue.

#175 ianoji

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:51 AM

Hello Krist,

I have been playing Windowed mode for a long time, and hadn't had the problem in a long time. However!!! Last night I did try Alt-Entering for full screen, and this morning I have the fread problem.

I'm re-downloading Textures.pak right now :D

#176 Morgana

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 647 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:02 AM

Wow, really? Now that you mention it, I did that too. I'm going to have to try doing that again today. You may be on to something.

#177 ianoji

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:17 AM

Man, it's not like I want to try it :D

#178 Ghost Inc

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 136 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:15 AM

Additionally, Frozen City Night never works. I could load the map only once, and the graphics were totally bugged.

I had about 7 Matches today, 3 Crashes, but nothing with Error Message. Strange.

Edited by IncorporeaL GhosT, 29 November 2012 - 09:47 AM.

#179 Krist Smith

Senior Engineer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 629 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:56 PM

I have recieved a corrupted file, many thanks to those who provided one. I'll be running plenty of tests with it, but the fast return is that I'll have a repair tool available really soon to handle fixing the problem without requiring all the manual steps. I'll post a link here as soon as it's ready to go.

#180 Kramar

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:23 AM

I'm really struggling to play at the moment with about every 3 match dropping to desktop and at least one file corrupted per night. I've taken to keeping a spare copy of the objects.pak on a different partition (same hdd) which saved a lot of time as far as downloading is concerned. Only, I log on just now and recieve the fread error. Check the files and find both the object.pak and the rivercity_ig.pak are corrupt. Whats even weirder is the spare copy has also been corrupted.

That to me points to something in my system that is going wrong. I'm starting to think I need to do a clean install of windows to see if that helps. Any idea's before I go through all that? I can confirm that defrag has not run at any point in the last week. I have no idea what else would corrupt a file on a hdd (other then a faulty hdd maybe) :wub:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users