Bigger Is Not Always Better

105 replies to this topic

#1 InnerSphereNews

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:00 PM

(05 April 3049)

What is the fascination with the big boys? It’s like 80 tons might as well be an astrological symbol tattooed on MechWarrior foreheads, ‘cause it’s all they can dream about.

And the Dragoons’ Zeta Battalion doesn’t help matters, gents. What, they peek over a shoulder when they copied down the Lyran playbook…or they just steal it whole hog? Sets a bad example. ‘Cause only those crazy, elite pilots can pull off what they do with three thousand-plus tons of war-forged metal they fling around like they’re scout pilots.

For the rest of us…sure, assault ’Mechs have their place, but it’s a place. A part of a whole. You don’t stomp around carrying a giant hammer everywhere ya go. You bring it out when the job’s right. And most jobs aren’t gonna need it. Give me a medium-weight, fast ’Mech and I’ll show you a jack-of-all trades I can make fit whatever hole you need.

And don’t get me started on upkeep costs, gents. They’re brutal for assault ’Mechs. MechWarriors may pine on and on for an Atlas, like a lover swooning over a pin-up girl. But I’ve faced it across a dozen battlefields and its bite falls well below its bark. What’s more, those big boys get in trouble if you don’t have the fast scouts to tell you when your slow-poker is getting flanked.

Then again, don’t go believin’ you can just get away with lights, either…don’t mean to pitch any such thing. It’s a fine medley you’re looking to create…the right mix of speed, weights and firepower for a given battlefield. If you think you can just walk your tried-and-true lance comp into any situation, well…let me know when you’re off-world so I can clean out your kits back home.

Keep it locked and loaded, gents.

—Jacob Hardenson, MercNet

#2 Morashtak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 1,242 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:02 PM

All right, all right. No Steiner Scout lances. We get it. sheesh. :mellow:

#3 Hasteguy

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:08 PM

Maybe not, but I'll take my Blood Asp anywhere and be a very happy man. P.S, I know the Blood Asp won't be in the game. Hopefully that'll change. Until then, Starslayer for me.

#4 GDL Irishwarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:11 PM

Well, until a medium 'Mech with actual speed gets in, I think this is pretty much confirmation that Jenners and Dragons will be our go-to 'Mechs, since they're both basically mediums in disguise... Not that I'm complaining; out of our current options, I'm liking the Jenner the most :mellow:

Edited by GDL Irishwarrior, 05 April 2012 - 12:12 PM.

#5 verybad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:15 PM

Dragons' definately gonna be my ride. While the others have attractions, the 4/6 mediums just aren't that interesting to me. I would like to see some faster mediums, though Dragon's still gonna be my ride...

#6 jparbiter

• PipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:16 PM

A freaking Men to the Author!

Gimme a CN9-D Centuriuon, cabaple of pulling 90 Kph and some respectable punch over some 80 ton beheomth that can't move to save it's life.

you want to put me in an Assault, it better ve a CGR-3K, SPT-N2, or an RMP-5G

#7 Kiff Stevenson

• PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationCanada District, Capella

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:30 PM

Mediums.

"The workhorses of the Inner Sphere armies . . ."

Quote from Total Warfare, p.21

:mellow:

#8 Banshee Bullet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 431 posts
  • LocationUncomfortably Close

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:35 PM

High-speed heavies are the way to go, they can punch with the big boys while they run circles around them.

#9 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:41 PM

I'm never gonna argue that the Dragon is high firepower, it's just aesthetically pleasing to me. It's no uber chassis, but it's got the mix of being a Draconis Combine Icon, a decent speed chassis with reasonable firepower, and a future of upgrades that make sense.

The medium range definately needs some faster units though 4/6 isn't good fpr any rang eexcept assaults, and for heavies it's just de facto. For mediums it's pretty slow.

Edited by verybad, 05 April 2012 - 12:41 PM.

#10 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:42 PM

I am a medium player to heart, so I understand that, but look at the real life. :mellow:

Bigger gun is always better, bigger payload is always better, bigger budget is always better, etc.

#11 Marwynn

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:44 PM

You forget one thing: a merc chooses his jobs. Can't always be picky, but an outfit of Heavies and Assaults aren't going to sign up for garrison much.

Upkeep? For a unit that's fighting on whatever frontline there is that won't matter. Should be covered by the contract, paymaster's happy enough to keep your BattleMaster up and running: he paid enough to get you into that fight in the first place.

Besides, you ought to have conventional vehicles to do the bulk of your scouting.

Point I'm trying to make is a unit's composition determines the jobs it takes. If there are nothing but bad options, then fire your agent.

#12 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:45 PM

View PostAdridos, on 05 April 2012 - 12:42 PM, said:

I am a medium player to heart, so I understand that, but look at the real life. :mellow:

Bigger gun is always better, bigger payload is always better, bigger budget is always better, etc.

Hmm, tell that to the guy with the RPG that just took out a tank...

Necessary firepower in the right position is optimal. A nuke as a hand grenade has drawbacks. If heat and mobility are limited, then lighter, faster untis will have their places.

Edited by verybad, 05 April 2012 - 12:45 PM.

#13 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:52 PM

View Postverybad, on 05 April 2012 - 12:45 PM, said:

Hmm, tell that to the guy with the RPG that just took out a tank...

You misunderstood it. The right example is a diference between a tank, which can be taken out by an RPG and bigger tank that has no problems with such a weapon. :mellow:

#14 bikerbass77

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 333 posts
  • LocationCambridge, Cambs, UK

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:55 PM

Personally I would tipify the Heavy mech (75 tonne-ish) as a jack of all trades. They can be rigged to be fast, have the staying power and armament to go up against most foes and can take all weapon types (I find it difficult to get a decent payload with ballistic weapons on a light or medium mech).

#15 Vexgrave Lars

Former Dictionary

• Knight Errant
  • 1,119 posts
  • LocationParticle and Wave

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:08 PM

All the more reasons why I have learned to be comfortable in Mediums and Heavies.

#16 GunGrave666

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Locationnew caledonia

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:16 PM

im looking forward to seeing more selection for medium and heavy weights a good speed multirole heavy is always the way to go like the crusader or the warhammer

#17 Thunder Belly

Rookie

• 7 posts
  • LocationNear St. Louis

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:19 PM

I would have to say the Atlas has plenty of bite to match it's bark. Most people don't use them as intended. Up close and personal and using it's massive foot and hand actuators to literally pound other mechs into scrap. Or hey, uproot a tree or find a girder to send that offending Jenner into orbit.

Edited by Thunder Belly, 05 April 2012 - 01:21 PM.

#18 SquareSphere

• 1,656 posts
  • LocationIn your clouds, stealing your thunder

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:26 PM

hints that there might ACTUALLY be a cost associated with piloting Assaults? Better be true, else the points moot :3

#19 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:39 PM

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 05 April 2012 - 12:00 PM, said:

You don’t stomp around carrying a giant hammer everywhere ya go.

Of course I bring my hammer with me! Doesn't everyone?

#20 Gun Bear

• 1,016 posts
  • LocationGarrison duty on some FWL Planet and itching for action.

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:40 PM

As fun as an Assault Mech can be against a stationary target I've always been a medium pilot; if you know what your doing you can match a heavy in firepower and a light in manueverability and fit in any job you need on the battlefield.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users