Battletech Melee Weapons

129 replies to this topic

Poll: BattleTech melee weapons (380 member(s) have cast votes)

Should there be BattleTech melee weapons

1. Yes (323 votes [85.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 85.00%

2. No (57 votes [15.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#121 Oogalook

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:13 PM

Here's a big thing. In the TT game, one of the only combat advantages of Inner Sphere mechs over Clanners was the IS pilots' willingness to use their mechs in melee. That's why no clan mechs have hands on their arms. The addition of melee attacks would give players a renewed reason to drive the Awesome or Atlas or Dragon, all of which sacrifice valuable crit space in their arms for lower-arm and wrist actuators for the express purpose of melee attacking.

When the Clan invasion rolls in, I don't want every mech in my bay to suddenly become obsolete. Please, PGI, throw us a bone!

What if you could use your mech's hands to grab your opponent's arm or torso to lock him in place? A brawler Atlas could grab hold of his opponent's arms and let fly with the greater firepower of his torso weapons.

#122 Sirslicey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:03 PM

I don't really like the idea of melee weapons. At the most, just short range weapons for closer engagements. Basically stuff like SRM's and Flamers.

#123 MGA121285

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 76 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:02 AM

Would be good only if it will to be balnced like they did with 3pv.

Edited by MGA121285, 19 February 2014 - 10:02 AM.

#124 Techorse

• Elite Founder
  • 121 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:02 AM

I would like melee weapons, and physical attacks, but I have a bad feeling it'd lead to everyone simply developing the strategy of automatically tearing the hatchet arm first off of any carriers. Prepare to be focused.

#125 cdlord

• Legendary Founder
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2628 posts
  • Location**Classified**

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:22 PM

View Posttechorse, on 19 February 2014 - 11:02 AM, said:

I would like melee weapons, and physical attacks, but I have a bad feeling it'd lead to everyone simply developing the strategy of automatically tearing the hatchet arm first off of any carriers. Prepare to be focused.

No worse than the torso of a Hunch, or the arm of a YLW..... TBH this isn't a detractor to not have melee... I want my Hatchetman!

#126 TehSBGX

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 889 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:48 PM

Slamming stuff in the head with a Mace is something I've wanted for a while, but we're gonna need colisions back first. Honestly, colisions are likely gone for good so melee will prolly never happen. :(

#127 SawedOffSamurai

Rookie

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:11 AM

I voted yes but I dont think melee weapons are the answer. I do think that if for what ever reason you run out of ammo for all weapons that are stored in either of your arms or all the weapons in either of your arms gets destroyed, the fire button becomes a punch attack so at least your not completely useless once your black on ammo or weapons or something like that.

#128 Sleek34

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationForever alone pugging.

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:30 AM

Sorry in advanced if this is hard to read, I have issues with writing.

I didn't vote since I would like it however I am pretty sure it will be implemented horribly. If they could do it right though I would like physics to be correct. For example a smaller mech with a blunt weapon would not be able to knock over an Atlas for example HOWEVER if they had a bladed one they could do damage but with a chance the axe or whatever weapon gets stuck in the armor? I apologize if this is not at all canon to te franchise but the fear of melee being implemented breaking the game as everyone will be running around with them and the use of ranged weaponry becoming obsolete just feels like a likely happening.
Also mechs without arms (Catapult and Stalker for example) would still do a melee attack on a knocked over enemy mech by just stepping on it, however again factoring mass physics (i/e Raven will not be able to crush an knocked over Atlas). I swear I would love the knock over physics from beta to return just more refined. If a light mech pilot is skilled they would have to avoid running into an assault they are harrassing as it will likely lead to them being knocked over and they should NOT be invincible in that time and if the assault happens to step on them, game over for that mech. Also chicken walkers should probably have a harder time getting back up if knocked over unless they have controllable arms, however again with physics perhaps any weapon on the arm may have a chance of being damaged while getting back up due to having to support the mech's weight.

#129 Kalimaster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:59 AM

There are several good Mechs that don't carry ranged weapons. A few have mixed effects, but also realize that several Mechs with Melee combat skills are converted, such as Construction Mechs. Yes they have that big claw, but almost no armor, are slow, and are just asking to get nailed by a Jager. It would take battles to new levels, where your Mech might have to get in close to fight, past waves of LRM's and untold cannon rounds.

#130 Sleek34

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationForever alone pugging.

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:15 PM

View PostKalimaster, on 24 March 2014 - 07:59 AM, said:

There are several good Mechs that don't carry ranged weapons. A few have mixed effects, but also realize that several Mechs with Melee combat skills are converted, such as Construction Mechs. Yes they have that big claw, but almost no armor, are slow, and are just asking to get nailed by a Jager. It would take battles to new levels, where your Mech might have to get in close to fight, past waves of LRM's and untold cannon rounds.

I do remember the converted Mining Mech, The mining tool would devastate anything it could touch, but you are armored and limited to 25kph. The only ranged weapons was a single rack of lrms. Not to mention you got tank treads for feet, it would make large hilly laps like Alpine Peaks hell. It seems to fill even more of a niche than the urbie did.

But I think most people here want the Axeman and other purpose built combat mechs. If I recall Kurita did have quite a few with Katanas, would feel really badass to use one.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users